Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorrl48ks
    • CommentTimeJul 4th 2010
    I'm just wondering if frys makes money off sales items. Cpu/motherboard combos are cheaper than the cpu itself. Does frys employees making money off the commission, if not i feel bad..
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    No they make no commission at all on that item. Anything in the advertisement, they normally make no money at all. It actually hurts their overall performance for even selling them. Fry's treats their employees like slaves. If you go there, just for the salesman sake, purchase the 15$ exchange policy. Not only is it worth it for you, but it helps your salesman out to.
    •  
      CommentAuthorrl48ks
    okay thanks for clearing things up sbr. but, i kinda feel bad all these years i never knew.. So thats the reason when i tried to buy an lcd monitor on the ad the sales man tries to point me to another monitor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsbr
    Yep. I quit Fry's sometime ago. Couldn't deal with their bs anymore
    •  
      CommentAuthorrl48ks
    oh can you tell me how do they know the frys salesmen sold anything. I don't see them writing anything down. I mean how do they know how many things they sold to the customer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    they have to write you a quote to get commission. If they do not then there's little or no commission.
  1.  permalink
    lol yeah, its cuz the stuff are been buying for these years arent paying them a dime thats why you dont see them giving you any paperwork lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    Is Frys losing money? No.They MAKE money when they get customers to "upgrade to a better combo". As a store that sells computer parts, they are ever mindful of how pc parts are obsolete in relatively short time. It's better to dump a combo at 1/4 of what it is worth than to eat it totally. If you pay attention to the combo sales....they are all 2-4yr old chip/MB sets....not exactly high tech, but a good way to build a cheap pc.  
    In the past I have worked in distributions for a major retailor, and 90% of their stock was not actually "owned" by the company...it was basically sold on commission....when something didn't sell it was shipped back to the manufacturer, and the retailer lost nothing. I am sure Frys has a similar deal on some of it's stock, and if so, such sales are O.K'd by the manufacturer as a way to liquidate old stock. I'm quite sure the manufacturer figures in such losses when it prices NEW processors. Look at it this way: A manufacture has a NEW processor that costs $69 to make....sells it for $250 NEW, and will take whatever it can get when it "stops selling".....they are still making money. They would not be in business if they weren't. And I'm sure Frys gets a cut of whatever rediculously low price they sell them for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorman
    • CommentTimeJul 5th 2010
    I recommend "combo x" its future proof, "combo y" has been obsolete for years! lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010
    skullywag:and 90% of their stock was not actually "owned" by the company...it was basically sold on commission....when something didn't sell it was shipped back to the manufacturer

I think you mean consignment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010 edited
    Sasquatch:
    skullywag:and 90% of their stock was not actually "owned" by the company...it was basically sold on commission....when something didn't sell it was shipped back to the manufacturer

I think you mean consignment.

Yes, I did mean consignment. I might also add that said retailer also got in a shit storm of trouble by falsely reporting stock sold while it was still in the store, to beef up sales numbers. But I'm not naming names...
    •  
      CommentAuthorLegend11
    • CommentTimeJul 6th 2010 edited
    Fry's isn't making a profit on sale items. But the purpose of sale ads is not to make a profit on a customer from those items. It's to bring customers in, and have the salesman try to sell you something else. Simple marketing.  

During my time at Fry's, 99 out of 100 sale items would give us zero commission. The only time a sale item ever paid us commission was when the sale price dropped the original price by 1 cent (literally) or when that item was already in clearance to begin with.
  2.  permalink
    In the past I have worked in distributions for a major retailor, and 90% of their stock was not actually "owned" by the company...it was basically sold on commission....when something didn't sell it was shipped back to the manufacturer, and the retailer lost nothing. I am sure Frys has a similar deal on some of it's stock, and if so, such sales are O.K'd by the manufacturer as a way to liquidate old stock. I'm quite sure the manufacturer figures in such losses when it prices NEW processors.  

Ben 10 Games
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJul 7th 2010
    Legend11: Fry's isn't making a profit on sale items. But the purpose of sale ads is not to make a profit on a customer from those items. It's to bring customers in, and have the salesman try to sell you something else. Simple marketing.  

During my time at Fry's, 99 out of 100 sale items would give us zero commission. The only time a sale item ever paid us commission was when the sale price dropped the original price by 1 cent (literally) or when that item was already in clearance to begin with.

Big difference between zero commission, and zero profit. You better believe Frys is making a profit.
  3.  permalink
    Actually a few years ago some of the sale items were below cost and they banked on upgrades, or psc to pull a profit out of them. They made us memorize the stupid charleston thing so you could figure out how much money the store made on an item + the %. C = 0 H = 1 etc etc So for GP if it said rhc you knew the item made 410 dollars. If it said -hcc you knew it lost the company 100 dollars. I've been gone now thankfully for over a year so they may no longer use that.
  4.  permalink
    The prices advertised are low because when you go to purchase online, the promo code system doesn't work. I don't even try any longer.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJessrond
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2017
    They make money by hiring illegals who don't get paid minimum wage.  

Here is where to shop.  

1 - Appliances and standard non-techie stuff  
    Target  

2 - Basic computers for being a gamer  
    Best Buy  

3 - Techie stuff  
    Local places that I don't know about  
    :face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin::face-devil-grin:

ebg1.jpg
Add your comments