Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    Apparently this is no longer authorized or sanctioned by home office. If you're full time and need <32 hours per week (say, a student returning to school for the fall semester) you're shit out of luck. It's either full time or VQ. Can anyone shed some light on this? It seems Fry's would rather can someone then demote them (if you call going from full to part time a demotion.)
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    What are hours like for part time or full time?
    Full-time to Part-time. Frys is nearing the end...
    New Part-time service tech how long full time & dress code questions
    Employee Benefits? Also is there part time benefits
    How many hours is Full Time at Fry's in Las vegas, Neavda
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJul 17th 2010 edited
    Fry's way or the highway
  3.  permalink
    I think there's some legal issue progressively growing regarding that because of benefits and even unemployment. My friend when he got promoted to Customer Service Supervisor, he had to write a letter of demotion and sign it off because the position was part time. In this letter he also had to surrender all of his benefits and they switch his... I forget what the date is called but it has to do with PTOs and stuff... but they changed that too.

Anyhow, there's also the whole benefits and stuff to consider. If you work less than 32 hours, you are putting your benefits at risk (a whole 'nother legal issue there too.) If you are full time and you get cut hours to part time, in some areas, you are eligible for Unemployment because you can claim that you were making a living off those extra hours (which is true for a lot of people working at Fry's.) I'm sure Unemployment tax is not something Fry's is fond of paying.

I would propose to your Store Manager for the purpose of school you would like to go back to part time and that you are willing to sign off a letter of your approval and have it faxed to Fry's benefits in home office and your district manager.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJul 18th 2010
    So...let me get this straight... Your friend gets a "promotion" to Customer Service Supervisor, but it's actually a demotion because it's part time and he loses his benefits? And Fry's makes him sign a letter acknowledging it... I smell...an employment practices lawsuit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2010
    If you are a full-time employee and at any time your are working less than full-time you are eligible for unemployment as you are under-employed.  

I would say take the promotion and file for unemployment, while your at it talk to the National Labor Relations Board. http://www.nlrb.gov