Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthornewhandle
    • CommentTimeJul 24th 2010
    So I got the job at Fry's in the service dept and I'd like to ask you guys what the pay is over there? I'll be paid minimum wage + commission, which is fine if I were a cashier, but a technician? I might have been tricked into accepting the job for a low pay, but don't you think I should have started at min. $10/h? I will only be working part-time just so you know. I asked the manager during the interview what the pay was like in the service dept, and he said it's usually $12+. He wouldn't even pay me $10/h saying that it's "impossible". Just exactly why I should settle for minimum is beyond my understanding. I may not have a technical degree, but I have loads of experience in the field. I plan on working for a while hoping to see a raise soon, but if it doesn't come, I'm gtfo!!!  

In the meanwhile, please share your say because it's my first professional job exp. and I could use every bit of advice (not working at Fry's doesn't count, at least not for now as I like what i'm doing).  

Thanks
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Minimum Wage to be $9 a hour this July
    Minimum wage in California changing
    Frys? more like, deserves to DIES!
    PS3 CELL Processor actually more powerful than orginally thought
    Due to the economy, is your store firing people more than ususal?
  2.  permalink
    I can't really say for the service dept, but I recently started in a sales position. I was told pay was 8/hr + commission, I took it because I needed any job. Turns out to be about 13/hr average. Bad days are 8/hr and my best day so far came out to 21/hr.

So maybe just go in and straight up ask someone what they are making, explain you have already interviewed and are considering the job but want to know what the pay comes out to. If you said all that to me, I'd be honest and say what I've just said. So give it a shot.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010
    You guys need to get your priorities in order.  

There are lots of people who want $50/hr and they are almost there.
    •  
      CommentAuthornewhandle
    • CommentTimeJul 25th 2010
    Guest: I can't really say for the service dept, but I recently started in a sales position. I was told pay was 8/hr + commission, I took it because I needed any job. Turns out to be about 13/hr average. Bad days are 8/hr and my best day so far came out to 21/hr.  

So maybe just go in and straight up ask someone what they are making, explain you have already interviewed and are considering the job but want to know what the pay comes out to. If you said all that to me, I'd be honest and say what I've just said. So give it a shot.

Thanks for the response. If my commission makes my pay a jolly 12+/h, I'd feel a little better. I guess I'll ask around and see what everyone else is making there. I'll post back next week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEdCenter
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010
    Well I worked at Costco in 04 and their starting pay was $10/hr. On Sundays, they paid you $15/hr because it was Sunday. Oh, and no commissions. So if you think getting paid $10/hr at Fry's is bad, try working at a theme park where you put up with more obnoxious customers ("guests") for less pay.
  3.  permalink
    why are you still settling for $10/hr?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2010
    The rule for choosing a salary is twice your age. If your 25 years old ask for $50k per year.  

For hourly, your hourly wage is your age. If your 25, you should ask for $25 per hour.  

Generally for full-time salaried employees, if you make $50k per year your making $25 per hour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeAug 12th 2010
    To command $50k per year at age 25, you'd better have some good skill sets and education to command that amount. You'd probably get laughed out of the door if you were to ask for that amount starting off at Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    ObiWan: To command $50k per year at age 25, you'd better have some good skill sets and education to command that amount. You'd probably get laughed out of the door if you were to ask for that amount starting off at Fry's.

Some salesmen make more than that...
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Sasquatch:
    ObiWan: To command $50k per year at age 25, you'd better have some good skill sets and education to command that amount. You'd probably get laughed out of the door if you were to ask for that amount starting off at Fry's.

Some salesmen make more than that...

Some salesmen which make more than that only make that on their good days, but not on average.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeAug 22nd 2010

You live in Texas right?Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeAug 23rd 2010
    Yep...been here for 5 years. Moved from SoCal for job related reasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeAug 24th 2010
    What do you think of the job so far NewHandle?  

Is it everything you dreamed it would be? :face-angel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 1973
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2010
    How is the pay for the service dept?
    I'm a college student thinking of applying there part-time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2010
    dont go to college its a waste of time and work at frys for 10 years for real world business experience.
    •  
      CommentAuthorTheNewGuy
    • CommentTimeJul 19th 2014
    True true
  4.  permalink
    Is TheNewGuy real? I mean like seriously that avatar..
  5.  permalink
    Ya, TheNewGuy is real....I work for him in SM. His dad just sold a bridge in Brooklyn and they made a killing in profit. They live in La Jolla (can you imagine what the neighbors think)? His dad also worked on the Philedelphia Experiment and Manhattan Project and demanded his son get a job. He chose Flies because he loves tech and the Apple store didn't return Newguy's calls--despite his Dad mentoring Steve Jobs as a kid.

Funny chap, a riot in the breakroom.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2014
    He's probably awesome in person, lol.