Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeAug 27th 2010
    Every Frys ad used to at least one MB/CPU combo deal, 3 in Fridays ad. Last 2 weeks, I haven't seen ONE. Instead they are advertising straight cpu's only at prices "too low to show".  
    What's up? They gonna stop the combo deals? Or just going through a dry spell?  

I know the combo deals are the ONLY reason I ever drive to frys anymore, and will usually pick up another item or two while I'm there.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    what happened to the "WHAT DOES ***** TASTE LIKE?" topic?
    What Happened to the Good 'Ole Days,..
    What Happened To The Ex Benefits Manager & Kathy Kolder's Wrath!
    So what happened to the site, do you know?
    What happened to the easy to fuck Canon Rep?
  2.  permalink
    well I like it, makes getting JUST the cpu easier with out getting a shitty ass board like a biostar... or ecs... and they are pretty damn good too AMD555 for 79.99? I could build a nice computer with that
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010
    Guest: well I like it, makes getting JUST the cpu easier with out getting a shitty ass board like a biostar... or ecs... and they are pretty damn good too AMD555 for 79.99? I could build a nice computer with that

I guess you never really paid attention to the specials.....I've picked up combos witth Asus and Gigabyte boards $30 cheaper than they sell the chip alone, on sale.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010 edited
    skullywag: Every Frys ad used to at least one MB/CPU combo deal, 3 in Fridays ad. Last 2 weeks, I haven't seen ONE. Instead they are advertising straight cpu's only at prices "too low to show".  
    What's up? They gonna stop the combo deals? Or just going through a dry spell?  

I know the combo deals are the ONLY reason I ever drive to frys anymore, and will usually pick up another item or two while I'm there.

Hahahahhahahahahha they're FUCKING GONE FOREVER!!! I can say more than anyone here how happy I am about that. No more resellers who buy nothing but combos only to (you guessed it) resell them on ebay. My DM told me that the company is going in a different direction with the ads. It used to be that I had to sell those damn combos and get a huge gp loss against my performance, now with the new ads I make more money than ever!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010
    Most of the customers seem pretty happy that they now have the freedom to select any motherboard of their choosing. A few have voiced their unhappiness, but these are the customers we see every week, buying combos and nothing else to improve our bottom line. This new strategy focuses more on the customers we should be targeting, and not the computer repair guys that only shop Fry's to increase their profits at the expense of ours.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeAug 28th 2010 edited
    BooHoo. As a "computer repair guy", I guess I should be shopping for whats better for Frys bottom line than mine?  

I have never used a Frys combo for any of MY computers, but bought quite a few for customer builds that were on a tight budget. As much as people here seem to complain about the ad sales intended to get people in the door (because there isn't commission in it for them), they do get people in the door....who usually buy something else when they are there. Frys STARTED OUT catering to the "computer repair guys"....lets see how high their profits soar when they start to alienate them. Except for the ad combo sales, Frys cannot compete with online prices, warranty, or return policies. I personally see NO need to EVER go to a Frys now (thats the ONLY thing I have gone there for in years). I'll just up the cost of a build a few bucks and get EVERYTHING online (cheaper).  

Quote: "Most of the customers seem pretty happy that they now have the freedom to select any motherboard of their choosing".  
    Heheheh.....customers HAVE ALLWAYS had the freedom to select what motherboard they want. Nobody twists their arm to buy whats on sale. Frys just isn't competitive on non-sale computer items. NewEgg and Amazon walk all over their prices...even their "too low to mention" chip only sales.  

I think Frys has made a BIG MISTAKE here....but then again....it ain't the first one they've made.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010
    skullywag:I personally see NO need to EVER go to a Frys now (thats the ONLY thing I have gone there for in years).

If all you've been buying is combos, then you've cost the store hundreds, maybe thousands of dollars. We're not losing anything if you don't set foot in a Fry's anymore.
  3.  permalink
    Sasquatch...one of my beefs with Fry's is that salespeople don't get commission on sale items. I like a good deal as much as anyone, but Fry's should take the loss as part of a their marketing expense, rather than expect the salespeople to subsidize the cost of the sale out of their own pockets.
    When I buy a sale item...in components for example, is there any benefit to having the sales guy write up a quote rather than just grab and go? Do quotes on sale items count to any goals, etc?
    Thanks
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeAug 29th 2010 edited
    skullywag: BooHoo. As a "computer repair guy", I guess I should be shopping for whats better for Frys bottom line than mine?  

I have never used a Frys combo for any of MY computers, but bought quite a few for customer builds that were on a tight budget. As much as people here seem to complain about the ad sales intended to get people in the door (because there isn't commission in it for them), they do get people in the door....who usually buy something else when they are there. Frys STARTED OUT catering to the "computer repair guys"....lets see how high their profits soar when they start to alienate them. Except for the ad combo sales, Frys cannot compete with online prices, warranty, or return policies. I personally see NO need to EVER go to a Frys now (thats the ONLY thing I have gone there for in years). I'll just up the cost of a build a few bucks and get EVERYTHING online (cheaper).  

Quote: "Most of the customers seem pretty happy that they now have the freedom to select any motherboard of their choosing".  
    Heheheh.....customers HAVE ALLWAYS had the freedom to select what motherboard they want. Nobody twists their arm to buy whats on sale. Frys just isn't competitive on non-sale computer items. NewEgg and Amazon walk all over their prices...even their "too low to mention" chip only sales.  

I think Frys has made a BIG MISTAKE here....but then again....it ain't the first one they've made.

Here's a huge list of reasons why you are wrong.  

- The combos did get people in the door, but even if you buy one or two things to go along with it, the total sale still ends up as negative profit.  
    - Sure frys started out selling to computer repair guys, does that mean we should have never done anything else?  
    - So far we've only alienated resellers in our store. The repair guys still come in and profits ARE soaring.  
    - Frys does compete well with online prices. Usually prices are the same or within a couple of bucks one way or another. The combos on newegg are discounted 15 bucks or so, so when a processor by itself is discounted 20 or 30 bucks, we win. And you can choose your own board. Sure you won't get an amazing $350 i7 combo anymore (except for maybe black friday or other holiday ads) but what do you expect? Fry's can't discount stuff like that at $100+ losses every week.  
    - We can compete with their return policy. You can bring it back to the store and return it the same day! You don't have to mail it or pay shipping to receive it in the first place. Online companies have to have to give out longer return policies because of the turnaround time.  
    - And a final note, we don't have to match their prices because we are located in a real store. You can come to the store and buy products at will. You don't have to wait for them. Plus our prices are very competitive if not better. Here's a few comparisons.  

Intel i7 930  
    Fry's: 289.99  
    Newegg: 289.99  
    Amazon: 289.99  

Wow, how did that happen?  

AMD Phenom II X6 1055T  
    Fry's Regular: 199.99  
    Fry's on sale this week 179.99  
    Newegg: 199.99  
    Amazon: 199.99  

Wow Fry's "to low to show" prices are getting crushed by the online companies. Good thing you'll never set foot in fry's again. Plus you only have to pay shipping to receive their items. Good thing you aren't a sucker like the rest of us shopping at fry's.  

Corsair 6GB CMX6GX3M3A1600C9 (3x2) Kit  
    Fry's: 149.99  
    Newegg: 144.99  
    Amazon: 144.99  

Damn we lost there, a paltry 5 bucks. Looks like were going to alienate a ton of people. I'm sure 19 out of 20 customer would love to have their stuff on the SAME DAY as they actually purchase it.  

WD Caviar Black 1TB 32MB Buffer, 7200rpm, SATA/300 Retail  
    Fry's: 99.99  
    Newegg: 104.99 + 14.77 shipping  
    Amazon: 99.00  

Wait, neweggs regular price is higher than fry's plus shipping? WTF?  

Skullywag I know I'm being a real dick right now but I get sick of customers who come in and say "i'll just get it from newegg." Just yesterday I told a guy who was trying to pressure me the same things I just pointed out here, more nicely of course, but the point is that your claim that we can't compete with the internet is ridiculous. Pull up 1000 more items and you will see similar results. Sometimes you find things like the corsair memory, sometimes you'll find the WD hard drive. But the fact is if it's on sale at fry's is ISN'T cheaper online. You're just wasting your money and your customers time by buying online.
  4.  permalink
    Wow, I did occasionally travel to frys to buy things. I shop the online ads page weekly but only actually travel to frys occasionally. I am not going to travel to find out what prices are, If you wont post them I wont go. Fry's posts the specials for a reason... to draw customers into the stores. Fry's may lose money on some deals ... maybe..but Vegas loses money on some hands of blackjack too... yet both of you seem to be doing OK. If I was a Fry's manager and saw the posts here from so called employees I would be appalled and heads would roll. You represent yourself as being affiliated with Fry's ..and yet you act like you do here? /shame

I don't think I will be going to Fry's anymore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    Guest: Wow, I did occasionally travel to frys to buy things. I shop the online ads page weekly but only actually travel to frys occasionally. I am not going to travel to find out what prices are, If you wont post them I wont go.

Perfectly understandable but I'm pretty sure they don't post certain prices because of some contractual thing. A guy in TVs told me that they aren't allowed to show prices that are lower than they are direct from the manufacturer. I see alot of TVs in the ad that say "Major Name Brand." I'm pretty sure you can just call in and ask what the price is on a "too low to show" item.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    Quote:  
    "Skullywag I know I'm being a real dick right now but I get sick of customers who come in and say "i'll just get it from newegg." Just yesterday I told a guy who was trying to pressure me the same things I just pointed out here, more nicely of course, but the point is that your claim that we can't compete with the internet is ridiculous. Pull up 1000 more items and you will see similar results. Sometimes you find things like the corsair memory, sometimes you'll find the WD hard drive. But the fact is if it's on sale at fry's is ISN'T cheaper online. You're just wasting your money and your customers time by buying online."  

First off I have never been rude enough to say that to ANY FRys employee. I just do what I do...it's not meant as a threat.  
    I also have to disagree with you pulling up a few items, one that is still $5 higher at frys (By the way I got 2 WD 1TB Blacks for $79@ free ship no tax at Newegg last month). I spend money like you would not believe, on a weekly basis, on pc parts. I OFTEN get 4 Gigs af RAM for the price Frys asks for 2, I can buy a LiteOn, LG or Samsung DVD burner for half what Frys want for an Emporex (Last LiteOn I bought was $17 free shipping), and the examples could go on for days.  
    But that point is irrelevant. There are a 101 ways to advertise and bring people in, and Frys combo deals were one....and some could say it was a cheaper way to get people in the door than other means. Fact is 75% of all the combo deals Frys offered were OBSOLETE STOCK. Dual and single core processors (heavy on the AMD), and OLD motherboards (or bottom barrel brands). You can't seriously tell me Frys makes more money letting 3-5yr old cpus and motherboards sit on the shelf unsold than making $50-$80 bucks off them. $60 combo? Yeah, I will buy one for a cheap build for a budget customer. $100 for the same crap, and I don't want it. Those non-commission budget shoppers helped Frys clear out old stock that might go unsold....and if they picked up a couple items while they were there....that's extra profit no matter how small.  

I totally understand your beef with the combos....they don't put money in YOUR pocket, and you would rather not waste your time helping customers that you cannot make a buck off of. I get it. Enjoy it while it lasts. Todays ecomomy dictates lower overhead to maximize profits. Between online sellers and Walmart....Frys has a tough time ahead unless they adapt. Walmart???? Am I KIDDING???? No. Remember Walmart used to sell NO groceries 20 yrs ago, and today they are the #1 grocer in the US. They are also now the #1 retailer of music CD's and DVDs. If Wally-world opened an electronics chain tommorrow using their same cut rate strategy.....Frys would be vapor. And don't think it isn't coming....  

It also breaks my heart, I won't be missed at Frys. Think I'll go have a good cry....
  5.  permalink
    Hey, guest 63262, blow us.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    skullywag: Quote:  
    First off I have never been rude enough to say that to ANY FRys employee. I just do what I do...it's not meant as a threat.

Cool.  
    skullywag: Quote: I also have to disagree with you pulling up a few items, one that is still $5 higher at frys (By the way I got 2 WD 1TB Blacks for $79@ free ship no tax at Newegg last month). I spend money like you would not believe, on a weekly basis, on pc parts. I OFTEN get 4 Gigs af RAM for the price Frys asks for 2, I can buy a LiteOn, LG or Samsung DVD burner for half what Frys want for an Emporex (Last LiteOn I bought was $17 free shipping), and the examples could go on for days.

The thing is, those aren't just items I know beforehand or anything. Those were the first four that came to mind. 3 were cheaper or the same, one was 5 bucks more. If you have current examples post them, I can easily find more than you can. The guy that came in yesterday wanted a discount on a board for no reason. He just wanted to see if he could get it. When showed him the newegg prices for his stuff, almost everything was was the same price. The patriot memory he wanted was cheaper from them after rebate but our processor was cheaper. I can find tons of examples of this. Also My point is that stores have it so that you can buy it and exchange it instantly. I guess that's not something youre worried about though. As far as tax goes, you can get a reseller account to eliminate paying tax for your products at least at the point of purchase at frys.  

skullywag: Quote: There are a 101 ways to advertise and bring people in, and Frys combo deals were one....and some could say it was a cheaper way to get people in the door than other means. Fact is 75% of all the combo deals Frys offered were OBSOLETE STOCK. Dual and single core processors (heavy on the AMD), and OLD motherboards (or bottom barrel brands). You can't seriously tell me Frys makes more money letting 3-5yr old cpus and motherboards sit on the shelf unsold than making $50-$80 bucks off them. $60 combo? Yeah, I will buy one for a cheap build for a budget customer. $100 for the same crap, and I don't want it. Those non-commission budget shoppers helped Frys clear out old stock that might go unsold....and if they picked up a couple items while they were there....that's extra profit no matter how small.

Fry's doesn't sit on that stuff for that long. Let's say we were selling a $60 amd dual core combo with a biostar board. They would actually order direct from the manufacturer new stock to bring in before the sale. It's not like the combos were strictly to get rid of stuff we couldn't otherwise sell. We'd usually sell out of it at some point and they'd just order more. The idea obviously was to get people to come in and either be upgraded or build a whole computer. Unfortunately it just brought the rest of the department down as a whole. I close on fridays, and my sup always asks me to pull numbers at the end of the day. We are literally generating thousands more in profit the last few weeks (per day) than we were before. We are also getting higher sales cause were selling stuff at decent prices and not half off.  

skullywag: Quote: I totally understand your beef with the combos....they don't put money in YOUR pocket, and you would rather not waste your time helping customers that you cannot make a buck off of. I get it. Enjoy it while it lasts. Todays ecomomy dictates lower overhead to maximize profits. Between online sellers and Walmart....Frys has a tough time ahead unless they adapt. Walmart???? Am I KIDDING???? No. Remember Walmart used to sell NO groceries 20 yrs ago, and today they are the #1 grocer in the US. They are also now the #1 retailer of music CD's and DVDs. If Wally-world opened an electronics chain tommorrow using their same cut rate strategy.....Frys would be vapor. And don't think it isn't coming....

Ha Wal-mart will never get to the point that they actually need staff that's knowledgeable about products. They'd have to pay them too much money. If best buy won't carry it Wal-mart certainly won't.  

skullywag: Quote: It also breaks my heart, I won't be missed at Frys. Think I'll go have a good cry....

No salesman will miss those combos. Alot of the resellers were cool people even though you couldn't make any money. The one good thing is that they often like to brag about what they know so if you're patient you can learn alot from them. Plus the "THERE FUCKING GONE FOREVER" joke is just a joke. They'll be back. Sooner or later. Fry's cards were dead for a while and now were supposed to get them again. Things come and go at fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 4995
    Over the years I have spend tens of thousands at Frys on all sort of stuff, all because I was there all the time to buy the combos. I was a dedicated Frys shopper, a loyal buyer since the original days of Sunnyvale. Glad I could help with the success of the business only to get dumped on after they have earned million on loyal customers. No more wasted trips to Frys I will do all my shopping online.
  6.  permalink
    Oh please. You're the same person, and again, fuck off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    Guest: Over the years I have spend tens of thousands at Frys on all sort of stuff, all because I was there all the time to buy the combos. I was a dedicated Frys shopper, a loyal buyer since the original days of Sunnyvale. Glad I could help with the success of the business only to get dumped on after they have earned million on loyal customers. No more wasted trips to Frys I will do all my shopping online.

Again I don't understand it. You want to pay the same price and have to pay to have it shipped? Unless you are just bitter that the cheap combos are gone, what you have said doesn't make sense. I also think that with some customers there is a kind of "fascination" with combos. What I mean is that (like I said before) some processors are being discounted to ridiculous levels but by themselves. The amd thats 25 bucks on sale for example. With a cheap board the price is 75 bucks. The old combo equivalent used to be 60ish bucks but after a rebate. So the real prices was 70 bucks. Both prices are still cheaper than online. I think part of the reason you are upset is you psychologically need to be buying a combo that is pre-selected to think you are getting a good deal. There were other combos that were even better deals like skullywag said. Some had both parts for less than the cost of the processor by itself. But those days are (at least temporarily) gone. So you're mad even though on sale it's still a great price. someone at frys must have realized that we were doing this to our detriment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 4995
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010
    The fry's advocate is a moron if he doesn't think the loyal buyers won't impact the bottom line. The combo deals allowed me to pay a bit more for the other components (hd's, ram, cases, video cards, monitors) and still make it worthwhile. I also bought my large sceen tv's and home theater equipment for clients as well. NO MORE
  7.  permalink
    I just wish fry's salespeople didn't suck so bad.
  8.  permalink
    fuck loyal retail buyers, all u do is but on ad shit. ever since the no combo system has been implemented our dept comp has inceased, our gp has increased and our net sales have increased. y u ask, cuz the cheap retailers arent buying everyting on ad before the weekend stripping the store. Now when the real customers come in there are actually things left on the shelf to buy and theyre happy.

btw to the ignorant douche that said online is cheaper, at my store we match ALL online store prices, no exceptions, and match ALL local prices whether the product is in stock or not.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Stop buying Fry's combo deals. You will end up with a low performance system. Allow us to sell you the correct motherboard and cpu combination that works.
  9.  permalink
    Not one person has even mention, I as a computer builder, use to buy some when visiting dad in portland, but the missing fact is, most of frys stuff is gray box.
    In other words its garbage, I have tried a few of those builds and there were crap, if your selling that to customers, you just lost them, boards, and alot of stuff in frys breaks as fast as warranty is gone
    If the frys fans don't like this..........why all the relableing, and why all the lies.......I won't buy from them and know of many people that won't go in a store they treat you like a criminal......take ur job and shove it, the store suxs
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeAug 30th 2010 edited
    It's cheaper to buy a fully built computer from a PC manufacturer than to build a computer based on combo deals.  

Buy a prebuilt PC its cheaper than what happened with frys motherboard processor deals.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    Guest: ...ever since the no combo system has been implemented our dept comp has inceased, our gp has increased and our net sales have increased.

Exactly. I think were just getting back to the basics. We already compete well with online prices, and offer the only real selection in most cities (that we're in) as far as the components department is concerned. Why massively discount combos to the point that were losing money? Sure we'll lose some people, specifically those only concerned about paying the cheapest possible price regardless of features and quality.  

But the people who are building high end computers are still coming in because they never considered buying the cheap featureless combos we used to sell. Plus all the small stuff we stash around the store still sells. All these guest users who imply that we'll be begging them to come back so we can just lose money again really don't understand the numbers we run. You don't see those numbers. We associates do. Yes they will probably bring the combos back to try to bring more people in but it will just lower our numbers like it did before.
  10.  permalink
    Gotta love the 'I won't give you my business anymore' "customers" on whether we continue to sell items at a massive unnecessary loss anymore. First of all, you aren't giving us your "business" if you're taking money from the store. Are you really too stupid to understand this? Guess what, the hard drive you bought (assuming you didn't just say "which hard drive is on ad", why stop at the cpu bundle right?) made the store $10, so you've only caused a loss of $90 to us total after the -100 profit cpu bundlel? Oh man what a guy you are. If the difference between you buying other things at fry's is whether or not we offer crazy discounts on one type of thing you bought, news flash, you're a shitty customer. If one item's discount is so much to deter you from shopping here, or was able to afford you to buy that tv you wanted (bullshit) then take your business elsewhere. You talk about walmart taking over sales for people wanting bargain prices, do you know why? Because of people like you. Yet you'll still complain. You complain about the service. You complain about the selection. You complain about the sales people who are there to make money, some that rely solely upon commission to be paid. You complain about being offered warranties on things that you buy that lose the store money.

Not getting paid on sales items isn't the only reason you are a shitty customer to sales people if you only buy bundles for resale. Instead of us looking at fry's taking the loss as some faceless corporation, we have a much more direct relationship with the loss you cause. You're hurting business either way. You are not giving us your business. We are there to make a profit. So now you can enjoy telling customers of yours that it will take an extra week to get the parts for their computer because it's your fault. Or if a part ships defective you have to wait to mail it back and get another. Let's see how your business survives then. Everyone will buy from other more credible builders who can get their build faster, with a stronger gaurentee of timeliness and service. Keep buying on the ad items, keep not buying warranties, and what are fry's options? #1 close down. #2 stop offering the great discounts they do to survive. They have already adjusted the pay of associates to cut costs, guess which step we're at now? If you aren't able to get something online by at least a little cheaper you're doing something wrong. The quality of service is very different. They don't have a store you can walk out of with your product right now. You are able to return your product if it doesn't work or if you aren't satisfied without recourse. If that's ok with you then please do that, stop walking into our store. We don't need to be price competitives with online retailers. You will not be missed, we can spend time on actual customers with actual money with business models that don't rely on them poaching ad product at a loss to our company, which your then going to complain about on an internet forum.
  11.  permalink
    LOL nice!
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeSep 4th 2010
    Guest: Gotta love the 'I won't give you my business anymore' "customers" on whether we continue to sell items at a massive unnecessary loss anymore. First of all, you aren't giving us your "business" Blah, Blah, Blah, rant, rave, kick feet.  

I'll bet you are a top seller at Frys. Anyone who talks about "shitty customers"....is in the wrong line of work. Or maybe the wrong kind of retail place. Instead af being a lowly sales person at Friys.....Maybe you could cook frys at McDonalds? You'd get to spit in peoples food and evrything! You go, champ!
  12.  permalink
    Nuts Off: You don't see those numbers. We associates do.

Yeah. Nuts Off is right. Once you see the numbers, it's almost impossible not to see the sense in the decision.  

The combo isn't attracting increased sales, so...why should we keep offering it?  

Fry's will always find incentives that are mutually beneficial to the customer and Fry's. It just doesn't seem like combos are it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    Indeed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    With all respect, it would be pretty hard to cite a sales trend based on what? 2 weeks? Might just be a busy week. I find it hard to believe people woke up friday morning, and saw no combo ads, and decided to go to Frys and buy twice as much shit based soley on that. Shoot me some numbers in 3 months.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010
    Not knowing the Combo Sales trend, I would find it hard pressed by a Manufacture to be pressured into allowing their product to be sold only as a Combo. Or advertised as a Combo.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeSep 5th 2010
    skullywag: With all respect, it would be pretty hard to cite a sales trend based on what? 2 weeks? Might just be a busy week. I find it hard to believe people woke up friday morning, and saw no combo ads, and decided to go to Frys and buy twice as much shit based soley on that. Shoot me some numbers in 3 months.

Ok so far this week is our best week the entire year for our department at our store. We're almost 2 months into this and we have seen instant sustained turnaround every single week. Don't get me wrong, I built my i5 machine after buying a combo, it's a sweet deal. And it probably will come back eventually like they always do. But it will not help us make money at all just like it hasn't for years.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 817
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2010
    I guess I've been costing Fry's a lot of money. Over the last 3 years I've probably purchased in excess of 300 motherboard combos to build machines for my clients. But because I'm in the store, i'll also pick up the things that go along with that like drives, cases, memory, etc. Now without the combos, I only stop by fry's maybe once every couple of weeks.

You guys might be making money now because people come in there looking for a combo and just buy what you have there at whatever sale price. But in the long run, at least for people like myself, we'll be shopping online and saving Fry's for emergency purposes.
  13.  permalink
    ^^ Good riddance.
  14.  permalink
    How to I find the sales person in components that really knows their stuff?
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010
    Guest: How to I find the sales person in components that really knows their stuff?

Walk over to Best Buy?
  15.  permalink
    If Best Buy had a decent components section that wasn't typically Best Buy overpriced, I would be a Happy Boy. For selection and pricing, you can't beat Fry's unless you go mail order. I like to see the stuff first. But I also don't want to waste my time with a sales guy who doesn't know the products and is only pushing what gives him the best commission, whether it meets my needs or not. (Of course, that is when he isn't on this board bitching about working at Fry's.)
    I'll be looking for a stable X58 MB, fast RAM and the best bang for a buck Core i7. Try that at Best Buy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 8583
    Whining crying babies, you pieces o'crap don't shop Fry's for any reason other than CHEAP combo's. They stopped the combo's to preserve gross profit from you bottom feeders, period.
    If you actually came into the store to make a purchase of great product selection, rather than how cheap can I get this for mentality, you would see for yourself WHY the company stopped this hemorrhage you cause.
    You and I both know that NO other retailer offers the prices that Fry's does, the resellers are the absolute worst of the bunch, so to all you guest's including 4995, who are you trying to impress, we ALL know that the ram and hdd you will buy is the CHEAPEST SALE ITEM YOU FIND!!!!!!
    Oh, by the way I too work in the components dept, and so far most of the posts are dead on right, why sacrifice the margin for the decrease in sales $$ and drop in customer traffic, we offer the best available pricing, yes even better than NEWEGG.
    Final thought, stop blaming the return of the WRONG memory, hard drive, CPU and whatever else on the sales team, get a flippin clue and know what you need when you come to make a purchase, that is the NUMBER 1 reason for so many returns, you don't know what you are doing, and YES every router does actually work, stop tellin me "it won't connect, and I know what I'm doing"
  16.  permalink
    Wow, you Fry's employees really do show why you work there. If you a maturity level higher than an infant and a computer skills greater than that of a 3rd grader you would be able to get a real job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2010 edited
    Guest: Wow, you Fry's employees really do show why you work there. If you a maturity level higher than an infant and a computer skills greater than that of a 3rd grader you would be able to get a real job.

OUCH!!! Give the man a cigar!  

This thread has seemed to have turned into a personal grudge match. People who buy combo deals are bottom feeding maggots, who take food out of the mouths of Frys employees. Frys was bleeding out the @ss while combos were sold, and now that the dregs have been run off....Frys is once again strong, profits have doubled, employees now love their jobs and the store is once again safe for commissions.  

It's really a wonder Frys makes ANYTHING, given the attitudes shown towards customers. I LIKE this forum. Kinda an inside view for shoppers....we see the behind the scenes customer loathing, the pressure to sell overpriced crap, the lies told to sell warranty’s, ect, ect. Page after page of griping about store policy’s, treatment of employees and such......but the solidarity to band against, and spit on the customer.  
    Gotta love it! More drama than any reality show.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    In the health industry... when profits double, customers die.
  17.  permalink
    I normally don’t post to this forum because I hardly have time to read a few posts, but I've read most of this silly thread and I figure it's time to comment. Combos will come back. It’s like a hard drive, it’s not if it will die, it’s when. There's always a balance between sales and GP with any company. Everyone wants high GP, but if you’re not making more sales then last year at this time then you have to change things to do such. So if this works out into more sales then last year, then it’ll continue for a bit. Now no components sales associate likes to sell combos, because they have to sell almost another $300+ of high margin items to break even GP wise. All sales associates also lose time moving on to the next customer, but were here to help and shouldn’t take selling a combo personal, because the only paycheck it hurts is the SUP team. Now most good sales associates turn and burn most of those combo customers because they know the resellers and move on to the next customer, which takes less than 2 minutes. The reply from so called Fry’s associates above doesn’t reflect the majority attitude at Fry’s. So please don't crucify all Fry's associates for the replies of the minority. Fry’s wants everyone’s business, because the more sales they have the more leverage there is with buying better margin product. I’ve worked for Fry’s for a long time and this is the first time I’ve seen no combos, but I know they will come back. Personally if you do call up and look at the prices of the CPUs on sales they are CHEAP and come close to losing the same amount of GP as the combos did, but gives you the freedom to get the features you want on a motherboard to go with it, making your purchase a happy purchase even for a reseller (buy a cheap board).

Guess to recap what I said above, combos will come back and the negative comments from so called Fry’s associates aren’t the attitude of the 34 Fry’s store. Because out of the 5000+ customer a components department gets weekly only about 50 to 100 of them are combo buyers. Good sales associates know how to make money off the other 4900 customers. So I really hope the negative comments stop and if you still work there and have this attitude you can always find the VQ forms in the break room so Fry’s can hire someone who wants to help customers.

Just my 2 cents.
  18.  permalink
    How do these BestBuy rejects complain about the combo deals stealing all their profit when Fry's is pushing these deals on their weekly ads? If you don't want to lose money selling something, don't sell it at a loss. It's not any else's fault that you aren't making money on these combo deals when you price it and sell it for what you want.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010
    Guest: How do these BestBuy rejects complain about the combo deals stealing all their profit when Fry's is pushing these deals on their weekly ads? If you don't want to lose money selling something, don't sell it at a loss. It's not any else's fault that you aren't making money on these combo deals when you price it and sell it for what you want.

This is not new, usually Fry's advertise products at a loss.  

Today Fry's just want to make money.  

Everyones crying now because money smart people know they're getting ripped off
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010 edited
    asdf:
    Guest: How do these BestBuy rejects complain about the combo deals stealing all their profit when Fry's is pushing these deals on their weekly ads? If you don't want to lose money selling something, don't sell it at a loss. It's not any else's fault that you aren't making money on these combo deals when you price it and sell it for what you want.

This is not new, usually Fry's advertise products at a loss.  

Today Fry's just want to make money.  

Everyones crying now because money smart people know they're getting ripped off

Advertising costs money. Does anyone actually think people would line up around the building for Frys Black Friday sale, if it wasn't for the ridiculously low prices (on mostly last years stock)?? Combos were a form of advertising plain and simple. A way to get people in the door. Almost every retailer (online and store front) has sales like this designed to bring people in. THEY ARE NOT DESIGNED FOR PROFIT. They are designed to get you in the door.....where most people will buy other things to go with it....or maybe have a TV catch their eye while they are there.  
    I still stand by the point that Frys wasn't losing much because 75% of all combos sold were OUT DATED STOCK...and my guess, not exactly flying off the shelves at normal price.  

Most PC builders weren't buying these combos for themselves.....but cheap builds for others that don't need much..... so I guess Frys should see a jump in emachine sales. LOL I'm willing to bet theres a TON of commission in $299 PC sales.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2010
    Fry's can position a $299 combo that comes with a Case, HD, DVD-RW, Keyboard and Mouse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010 edited
    skullywag:  
    I still stand by the point that Frys wasn't losing much because 75% of all combos sold were OUT DATED STOCK...and my guess, not exactly flying off the shelves at normal price.

What evidence is your point based on? My guess is nothing. Now as for myself, I actually work at Frys and as I said these products didn't just "sit on the shelves" they were actually brought in at mass quantities for the sales to prevent people from getting pissed off. We sell plenty of cheap boards and processors by themselves. There are tons of people come in who had just a processor or board fail.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2010
    Nuts Off:
    skullywag:  

What evidence is your point based on? My guess is nothing. Now as for myself, I actually work at Frys and as I said these products didn't just "sit on the shelves" they were actually brought in at mass quantities for the sales to prevent people from getting pissed off. We sell plenty of cheap boards and processors by themselves. There are tons of people come in who had just a processor or board fail.

Whether Frys buy them for sale the sale or not is beside the point. And I'm sorry you have to work for Frys. Look at the bold (big) print. Are you telling me 2G AMD dual cores are NOT out dated? And that people swarm to buy them at regular price? That people walk in and say "Where are your Biostar (or ECS) motherboards"?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2010 edited
    Why are you sorry? I make tons of money and days fly by since I have so much fun at work. I basically get paid commission to talk to customers about what I used to talk to my friends about in high school.  

Yes those crappy old combos are outdated and people DO by them at regular price. The difference is most of the time people only come in to buy one part. Since we offered the combo (way back when) the customer would usually decide to buy both whether they needed the parts or not. So therefore the combos didn't help us. Then there's guys like you who also came in. It's not personal but you buying the combo and even whatever else you picked up along the way didn't make frys money and worse it lost us a ton of money. Sure at the point of the purchase you came in and gave us $130. But all those parts together cost us $160. And no we haven't been sitting on them since 2006. People come in regardless of us having combos available or not. They come in and say "what's the cheapest processor (or motherboard depending on the customer) that will work with my system?" Every salesman will tell you the same.  

Realistically speaking when it comes to Intel PDC processors and Athlon II or even the old-ass sempron processors, we probably sell 15-25 combined per day. I know that I write up somewhere between 30-50 quotes on most days and people looking for just a cheap processor or board make up 3-5 of them. Instead of a couple dozen maybe we would sell around 30 pieces per day. But instead the customer is now getting a free board. That doesn't sound like it was that great of a business strategy. A better strategy is to focus on a hard drive that is being barely sold at a loss to bring in customers. Most people, not techies but regular folks, are wowed by a $44 500GB hard drive or a $59 1TB hard drive. And when we lose a buck instead of 50, the add on stuff the customer buys does make a difference.  

It was crazy. It got to the point where we had around 10 combos per week, all of which were -50 or more profit. I understand the concept behind loss-leads. However this one only brought in guys like you, and guys like you don't make us any money.
  19.  permalink
    That frys employee is an asshole ive not ever shopped at frys for pc products and its a 8 min drive .Very limited selection and the prices are bad for the shit they have on hand.I have to wait week ?,mwave,microcenter,compusa/tiger direct all deliver in 3days...FRYS is such a joke just walk in the stores and look at thier selection of products...LOL