Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    I made a mistake and ended up being over $150 (I think what happened was the customer wanted to pay part cash part card but for whatever reason the cash didn't go through, I'm guessing I must've pressed the wrong button and it didn't go through n' charged everything to the card) and was given a 5 day suspension for it. From what I've read on here it makes it sound like anyone who gets a 5 day is pretty much guaranteed to be fired, is that true? It was actually my first time getting a big "offense" like this, I've been working at Fry's for 3 months now and have almost always been perfect on my till (if not than it was usually only a few cents off). They said if the customer calls within the 5 days then it should be fine, but we couldn't find who it was in the receipts so that's our only way to find out now. As a side note though I'd like to point out that the day I came in when they gave me the 5 day they made me go clean the restroom n' do safety sweep *first* before letting me know they were giving me a 5 day, nice touch Fry's, thanks.  

So anyway, if I do get fired is there anyway for me to collect unemployment (I live in Georgia btw)? I'm not sure 'cuz I've been working part-time n' been there for 3 months. I'm kind of desperate for money 'cuz I wasn't planning on getting fired any time soon and ended up using all of the money I made to pay off my debt n' now I don't have much left ): Also if I -can- get unemployment and they offer me a 'VQ' should I sign it or not? I'm kind of worried that if I don't sign it it'll look really bad in the future when I'm trying to apply to other places that I got fired within 3 months > >'.
  2.  permalink
    Your part time with no benefits you will not get unemployment.
  3.  permalink
    Actually we get part-time benefits. I've been paying $64/month for the health insurance offered by Fry's.
  4.  permalink
    Do you have issues listening? Begins to make me wonder why they wanted you gone. YOU WERE PART TIME = NO UNEMPLOYMENT!
  5.  permalink
    Yaaah I got that part. I was focusing on the "no benefits" part since that isn't true.
  6.  permalink
    Don't sign the VQ form when they give it to you at the end of the 5 days. After that, call your state's unemployment office to see what you do qualify for. State unemployment varies from state to state and typically what you receive in unemployment is based on if you've been a: working long enough, and b: if you qualify, an average rate of pay - 20% for what would be about 80% of your gross pay.

To the idiot who said he can't get unemployment as a part timer, not true. It's based on the past year's employment. If he gets any though, it won't be much.
  7.  permalink
    Customers do not usually get $150 change back.

--There are several things I would have looked at first. Did you get a $150 Gift Certificate cash back that day? You may have scanned it and forgot to issue the customer cash back after waiting for a password, you would be amazed how common that is.
    --Another possibility is if the Supervisor did a Cash Pull and messed up. You would be amazed at how common that is as well.
    --Last, but least likely, is if the customer was buying a product and was paying cash, and somehow you manage to forget to scan it OR you F3'ed it out (deleted) and accepted his money.

$150 is a lot to be over or short by; how can Fry's ever trust you as a cashier? Regardless if it was an honest or first time mistake, can Fry's trust you enough to be responsible with their cash tills and receiving payment from customers?
  8.  permalink
    ROFL if you file unemployment on a part time job... kind of sad... just go work at mcdonalds... you'll make more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeSep 29th 2010
    I love how Fry's is firing you because you had a hard time navigating an odd transaction on their clumsy, cumbersome system. To quote Samuel L Jackson, "You hand us a fixed deck, and then act surprised when we can't win?"
  9.  permalink
    $150 is a lot. I was a cashier once, and was over by nearly that one night, after a substantial run of perfect balances. There was a very serious conversation with the LP manager at the time, but no counselling whatsoever. This was three years ago though. Attitudes have changed in CSV. A 5-day is followed by an ITR(involuntary termination request), which is sent to home office. The success rate of ITR's in my store is VERY high (rare that home office will deny a termination), but YMMV. I do wish that there was a more clear set of guidelines for disciplinary action in FCO and the sales floor, because the managers honestly do have a wide degree of interpretation when deciding these things.  

FCO supervisors make mistakes in cash pulls often, but remember that it is your responsibility as a cashier AS WELL AS their responsibility as a supervisor to make sure that cash pulls are accurate. That part of the system is not really flawed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2010
    Why would an FCO sup take a fall when the cashier can take it? No one wants to be fired but cashiers are disposable.
  10.  permalink
    FCO sups get caught at it at my store. And they get fired when it happens, much more likely to be termed than the cashier involved on a cash pull error. The thing is, when a cash pull goes awry, the safe won't balance and it can be (and usually is) tracked back.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeOct 19th 2010
    Don't listen to any of the idiots above...part-timers can get unemployment if you've worked there long enough, which you haven't. I think the cut-off time is 9 months at least in CA, not sure about Georgia. As for the till, if it all went through on the credit card, then the receipt should have the time and customer's name. Go back to the video footage of the time on the receipt, look at the register and look at the card if you can. Then call up that bank, use the customer's name and the last four of the card and request that the bank contact the customer and tell them that there was a problem with their card and that they are needed at the store, then return the $150. If the video footage shows him handing you the $150 but its not on the receipt then the store should be able to simply return the money by cash or store check.  

I once had a customer leave his $70 of change with me. Thankfully I paper clipped it put it with the receipt. I went to lunch and told my supervisor what happened and said "If a man of this description comes back for the $70 and has a receipt to match this one, then give it back to him." He came back, they gave it back and all was well.  

Good luck to you...on second thought, I'm pretty sure this response is too late. I hope you figured it out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010
    Good looking out Liana Mei. You're pretty smart.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010
    asdf: Good looking out Liana Mei. You're pretty smart.

Why thank you for the compliment....I'm kind of wondering how I was ever stupid enough to apply at Fry's despite my friend's warnings about how horrible it was (she used to work at the San Marcos store). Live and learn, older and wiser now (but not that old!) :)
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2010 edited
    Hint to all cashiers for future reference.  

IF YOU SWIPE THE CREDIT CARD FIRST AND THEN PRESS ENTER IT WON'T GIVE YOU THE OPTION TO ENTER A SECOND FORM OF PAYMENT. ENTER THE CASH AMOUNT FIRST THEN MAKE SURE THE REMAINING BALANCE IS WHAT THE CUSTOMER WOULD LIKE TO CHARGE THE CARD! BETWEEN THE TWO, NEVER DO THE CARD FIRST! IF THEY DECIDE AFTER THE FACT THAT THEY WANT PAY PART CASH, TELL THEM ITS NOT POSSIBLE! THE FIRST CHARGE WILL LIST AS PENDING AND THEN BE DROPPED AFTER A FEW DAYS. SO IF YOU RUN IT AGAIN EVEN THOUGH THE FIRST TRANSACTION IS VOIDED THEY WILL STILL HAVE THE DOUBLE AMOUNT AS A HOLD ON THEIR CARD AND THEY MAY NOT BE ABLE TO USE IT IN THE MEAN TIME IF THEY ARE ON THE EDGE OF THEIR CREDIT LIMIT. YOU MAY BE ABLE TO CALL THE BANK AND HAVE A SUPERVISOR VERIFY WITH THE BANK MANAGER THAT THE FIRST CHARGE HAS BEEN VOIDED AT THE FCO, AND HOPEFULLY THE BANK WILL DROP THE CHARGE RIGHT THEN AND THERE. BUT THERE IS NO GUARANTEE THAT THE BANK WILL OBLIGE. IF THE CUSTOMER'S CARD GETS BLOCKED FOR THE BETTER HALF OF A WEEK THEY WILL BE BEYOND PISSED.  

YOU HAVE BEEN WARNED!
  11.  permalink
    I was fired as theft, however I was not charge beside get terminated. I came back to visit my friends in Frys. The fuckin store manager walk up to me and say I cannot enter the store due to my termination. Last time I was their the LP manager even said hi to me. And the sad part is that I never ment took anything because I forgot to pay for something small that cost $10 dollar. The store manager is such an Ass hole.
  12.  permalink
    I hate to break this to you....but forgetting to pay for something IS theft. You see that's how it works....PAY FOR SOMETHING: yours. DON'T PAY FOR SOMETHING: not yours.

In my thirty+ years of life, I have never "forgot" to pay for anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2010
    If possible borrow Fry's products by purchasing then returning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    Guest: I hate to break this to you....but forgetting to pay for something IS theft. You see that's how it works....PAY FOR SOMETHING: yours. DON'T PAY FOR SOMETHING: not yours.  

In my thirty+ years of life, I have never "forgot" to pay for anything.

Forgetting to pay might be a tad more common than you think among employees. I once took an item that had very few left on the floor and put it in my locker in the break room. When it was time to leave, I put it in my purse and headed to the door. Halfway to the door I realized that i had not in fact purchased the item on break. So I doubled back to the registers and paid. It was a close enough call that I can see that honestly happening to an employee, but I'm not convinced that LP would be very understanding of such a mistake even if it was for such a cheap item.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 4002
    • CommentTimeJun 6th 2011
    I got fired after I was working in Frys for 4 years good record and dont give me any chance to watch camaras or something like this my problem I was short 100 bill my Sup she was working in the cafe and they want her like Sup she is so stupid she doesnt know how to make nothing even how tu use the GC she gave the pasqord for cash back in a GC ok I agree part of my mistake but one part is her mistake I got fired she still working ....( one thing is true if you are close to the Managers you can save your job I know that I talking about store 15)
  13.  permalink
    DO NOT SIGN ANYTHING!!!! a VQ forum means you quit. And yes a 5 day means you've been fired. Most states don't give unemployment for a part-time job. Start looking other places, cause you CAN do better than Fry's. Just be careful what you say about your parting, another words you may NOT want to tell them you were fired for being over on the till. Oh and Yes it's who you know..that's how you keep your job.
  14.  permalink
    "The fuckin store manager walk up to me and say I cannot enter the store due to my termination."  

Can they do that?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJun 9th 2011
    candybuttons: "The fuckin store manager walk up to me and say I cannot enter the store due to my termination."  

Can they do that?

Obviously they did. Many establishments have a sign "We reserve the right to refuse service to anyone". If someone tha's stolen from the store before tries to come it, it's logical for them to refuse to allow them to enter.  

The bigger question is - why were you terminated? It's often common for employers to now allow ex-employees back on premises.