Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    There is at least a 50-75% daily down time for Remedy for some stores (too many queries get queued and the server sits on 50-75% CPU usage for forever). ISD is currently working on a database rebuild this weekend (I think), but I'm REALLY skeptical about it actually accomplishing anything (doesn't solve the problem of a better database being needed, more efficient queries needed, or more servers needed).  

How are the rest of you handling the outtages?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 26th 2010
    Its simply bad database design. They need to split up tables into smaller shards. They need to cache most used elements in ram, with memcached, and they need to normalize their tables for less queries. More importantly they need to do queries on the server side instead of the client side.
  2.  permalink
    I'm almost positive that the queries are executed server side. I think more efficient queries would help.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2010 edited
    roflcopter_goes_soi: I'm almost positive that the queries are executed server side. I think more efficient queries would help.

Man I'm so glad you posted about this. I was tempted to post something a few days ago. Remedy fucking SUCKS!! We seriously spent most of the day a few days ago having paper ball fights in service because we couldn't do JACK SHIT with remedy down all day long. We couldn't order parts, we couldn't look up the status of machines for customers, we couldn't look up notes to see what else needed to be done on machines, we couldn't take service requests for appliances, we couldn't do PSC replacements, we couldn't do ANYTHING except OS restores (since that requires no parts or notes).  

You know it's funny roflcopter, but I actually had a dream 4 days ago, where I was so pissed off in the dream about remedy that I drove up to home office because I wanted to try and figure out what the problem was for myself, and when I got there and looked at the servers, I found out that 2 of them were turned off and someone left a stress test running on the 3rd server months ago and no one ever bothered to check it and that's why remedy had been running so shitty all this time. I guess my subconscious truly believes that the right hand never knows what the left hand is doing in this company if THAT was the discovery in my dream.  

For the people on this board who don't know what Remedy is, it's the program we use in service that initiates and keeps track of ALL the repairs in the company... on both the customer side and the store side. When it goes down, it's like the equivalent of all the cash registers not working or the power going out. You're forced to tread water until remedy comes up for 5 minutes, and then it goes down again for another hour.  

As a side note, when is home office going to fix all the remedy coach errors that pop up when you do something? Any time I do a quick save or look up an SRO, the remedy coach program opens saying "ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR, ERROR" and then I have to close like 20 windows. When I ask our IS tech, he's always like "*shrug*, it's home offices issue". Back in the days when I used to program in java and Visual Basic, if your program was giving you thousands of errors, it meant you had processes that weren't functioning the way they were meant to and were using valuable system resources to do so when they got caught up in that loop.  

Most techs are also in the habit of saving every customer as a new customer when checking them in (hitting the quick-save button, which causes remedy to take forever to assign this customer a unique company name, similar to a "customer number" in the POS) instead of looking up what their company name already is in remedy, and using the one that already exists for them. Whenever I look up repairs for a customer, it's common to find like 10 company names for the exact same customer, which means that Remedy has to look through 10 times the file entries when doing a quick-save. What needs to happen is that similar contact information needs to be combined with an algorithm at home office so that the number of "company names" that remedy has to search through when doing a quick save is drastically reduced. Instead of a "Bill Baley, Bill baley. Bill Baley.., Bill Baley........, Bill baley...,., Bill Baley.............., Bill Baley...,.,.,, and BILL BALEY..." all having the same name, address, and phone number, there should only be 1 with the most recent contact info and remedy should be able to detect that this Bill Baley might already exist in the system the moment I start typing his name and offer a potential match.
  3.  permalink
    @ gobo

you can disable the remedy coach from popping up. your IS tech should already know this, but there is a procedure to disable it. my IS tech did it when he had to re-install remedy on a workstation.

from what i heard, home office is looking to replace remedy entirely since i guess they don't want to pay for the licensing or something. but in all honestly they should be looking at UPGRADING it. the version the stores are using are easily 6+ years old. i'm sure an updated version would fix many issues, as well as optimizing options on the server side.

or what would be great, at the client (store) side we had a dedicated server/database locally, so if it goes down it could just update later on the day or evening when we gain a connection back to home office. idea being the that dept operates as normal and does not lose much down time. this is just retarded having to do everything manual, call IS for a ticket, then attempt to create a ticket in remedy while it's up for only 5 minutes. there has been a few days where we have 100% downtime, not working at all. the company is losing a lot of money and wasted downtime. as mentioned above, it's like if all the cash registers stopped working.
  4.  permalink
    It seems like Fry's is stuck in the 80's. Between Remedy, the cash registers and the terminals that the salesmen use... it is so archaic. I just started sales today, and everything is so cumbersome. Really need to update software to something that isn't older than I am.
    •  
      CommentAuthorP.O.S pro
    • CommentTimeDec 28th 2010
    Instead of a "Bill Baley, Bill baley. Bill Baley.., Bill Baley........, Bill baley...,., Bill Baley.............., Bill Baley...,.,.,, and BILL BALEY..." all having the same name, address, and phone number, there should only be 1 with the most recent contact info and remedy should be able to detect that this Bill Baley might already exist in the system the moment I start typing his name and offer a potential match.

you know, I work cash register and just for shits and gigles I put in all the info I could on myself during a slow day, and realised I put in some wrong info, so I wanted to update it. problem was, I could only ADD not UPDATE.  

I can see how that might come in use in SOME instances, but not for spelling errors, or misplaced information. so basicly I agree with you that there is work to be done.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2011 edited
    Are the rumors true? I've been hearing that they're going to get rid of Remedy and incorporate our whole repairs infrastructure in with the POS system. I have mixed feelings about this. The POS system is hard enough to learn and maneuver to just get simple things done. But do I dare entrust the "Fry's Programmers" to create a system for us to carry out all of our repairs? I can just imagine it now... "why can't I put notes in to my repair?" Answer from home office: "oh you have to first scroll down to the repair item, hit Alt+J to change the status, then Escape to go to the first screen then Alt+L to put in the store location of the repair, then Escape, then Control+N to identify what kind of note it is (complaint, part request, estimated date of completion, or note to self) then hit control+Alt+7 to enter the actual note, then hit..." ugh  

On the upside, I've been hearing that with our numbers being kept track of by the POS, they might start paying us based on productivity instead of group commission.
  5.  permalink
    Remedy: Just for the heck of it, I looked up the Remedy Ticket Request System and found out that the "new" Remedy system is completely different than the P.O.S. (and I don't mean Point of Sales) we are using in the stores. I don't think Fry's has paid for an update or upgrade in the past 10-15 years, which is probably why our system goes down multiple times a day...and don't even get me started on that In-Home Scheduling system they implemented last year.

Also, since W-2s are now being distributed, how many of you are noticing a significant decrease in your annual income? I could tell week to week I was losing money, but it puts things in perspective when I put my W-2 from 2010 and 2009 next to each other and it's more than $4k. How sad...
  6.  permalink
    If you are intending to stay at Fry's for a long time to make money, you're doing it wrong. Time to move on.
  7.  permalink
    Remedy: Just for the heck of it, I looked up the Remedy Ticket Request System and found out that the "new" Remedy system is completely different than the P.O.S. (and I don't mean Point of Sales) we are using in the stores.

It has nothing to do with how old/new the system is. It's architectured poorly and allows for searches that apparently 'lock up the database'.  

Are the rumors true? I've been hearing that they're going to get rid of Remedy and incorporate our whole repairs infrastructure in with the POS system.

On the upside, I've been hearing that with our numbers being kept track of by the POS, they might start paying us based on productivity instead of group commission.

None of those things sound like good things. I remember when ISD tried to make the In-Home Service Request System. If ISD re-creates Remedy, it won't be usable for a year.