Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    Hi guys. I was wondering if anyone has any decent advice for a new components salesmen? I got promoted awhile ago and came from another department. I got pretty much no training. I have been trying to figure things out, but my commission varies. One Saturday I did not make it out of the negative ( after a ton of returns ) while another Tuesday I made $170 in one day alone. Does anyone have any good tips on what are good items to sell, how to get PSC, wireless installs, Fry's Cards, etc?
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeJan 19th 2011
    You probably have to check the inventory and figure out which items will get you the most commission and try to offer those instead of the stuff in the ads. That and make sure the customers are aware of what can go wrong with component items and how a PSC can help them. It's a good way for people to protect their investment, especially if they're going to be using the parts to build or upgrade a friend's or family member's computer.  

As for wireless installs, a lot can go wrong with setting up a home network (IP address conflicts, firewall/permission issues, etc). Instead of having to deal with tech support or waiting for a friend to find the time to help, they can have an experienced tech come to their house and set everything up in a fraction of the time. Less stress for the customer and more time for them to be productive and have fun with their new network.  

Unfortunately, I'm not sure how you could sell a Fry's card. I heard that people need a really good credit score and history to get instantly approved and the perks (if any) aren't nearly as good as those from the likes of Discover and Amex. The best thing I can think of is that, once approved, it can be a really convenient way of organizing and keeping track of Fry's purchases. They can use it exclusively for Fry's purchases which would make things a lot easier should they ever decide to return an item and not have a receipt with them. No having to guess which card the item was charged on.  

I hope this helps somewhat.
  2.  permalink
    As far as fry's cards go, I just look for ghetto people. Wiggers are the best candidates. They almost always sign up. Plus if you just ask everyone you should get at least 1 a week.

- Sell Networking
    - Brush up on security knowledge
    - Check the clearance list for hard drives. Clearance pays the best
    - Clearance motherboards also pay
    - Attach sata cables to AD hard drives (most people don't know that some of the sata cable plu's pay $1)
    - Sell Norton to as many customers as possible

I guess the bottom line in components is don't turn your nose up to any customer. 5 minutes with a PSU customer typically get you a 1-2 dollar sale. Most people crowd around networking but if there are no customers there you need to just run around and help as many customers as possible. You'll probably help 50-100 people a day and if you can get 1-2 dollars from each of them that's at least $100. Even if a customer is buying an ad item, it is easy to attach another item that pays 1-10 bucks. Check the controller cards section. There are alot of usb to Sata/IDE adaters. One of them pays $3.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 9332
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2011
    THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES MONEY IS DLINK ANYTHING DLINK THATS IT!!!!
  3.  permalink
    What's a wigger?
  4.  permalink
    Yes I agree, I can pretty much make a living selling D-link. I sold someone a $209 Cisco VPN router and I made $0 off it. There are about three routers that have the same stats from D-Link, Netgear and Cicsco. They have the same range, same $130-140 price, are gigabit and dual band. The Cisco pays $3-4, the Netgear pays $6 and the D-link pays $13. Shit is like gold. I used to sell Netgear but they changed the way commission works in components and now D-link is making me some decent money. I made over $560 in commission last week, far beats the $200 I was making before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2011
    Cinnabon: You probably have to check the inventory and figure out which items will get you the most commission and try to offer those instead of the stuff in the ads.

Sounds suspiciously like "bait and switch"....you DO know that's illegal, don't you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeFeb 25th 2011
    Guest: THE ONLY THING THAT MAKES MONEY IS DLINK ANYTHING DLINK THATS IT!!!!

Not anymore. See what happens next week.  

skullywag:
    Cinnabon: You probably have to check the inventory and figure out which items will get you the most commission and try to offer those instead of the stuff in the ads.

Sounds suspiciously like "bait and switch"....you DO know that's illegal, don't you?

So It's illegal to inform someone that in addition to having 4GB ram kits, Fry's also carries 8GB ram kits. Or 1600MHz instead of 1333MHz kits that are on ad.
  5.  permalink
    Ugh, don't tell me that shit is going to change again. If I can't make money off d-link, what do I make money off of . . .
  6.  permalink
    a wigger is a white guy who speaks like a ghetto ass mofo.
  7.  permalink
    So that's a wigger. I didn't know they had their own name. I always used the generic Asshole.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011
    I always here nigga instead of nigger, would it be correct to say wigga instead of wigger.
  8.  permalink
    Nigger is a hateful word where as "Nigga" is either used as a word to greet a friend ex: "what's up my Nigga?" Therefore the word Nigger is used as a negative whereas Nigga is more or less a positive word.

Wigger is used to negatively (like Nigger) describe white posers (especially if they aren't from "tha hood") whose speech and mannerisms poorly attempt to replicate that of urban black hip-hop culture.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2011
    Guest: Nigger is a hateful word where as "Nigga" is either used as a word to greet a friend ex: "what's up my Nigga?" Therefore the word Nigger is used as a negative whereas Nigga is more or less a positive word.  

Wigger is used to negatively (like Nigger) describe white posers (especially if they aren't from "tha hood") whose speech and mannerisms poorly attempt to replicate that of urban black hip-hop culture.

White-boy Bullsh*t. "Nigga" is a white boy trying to sound black, but doesn't want to get his ass beat. Nothing more hilarious than watching a white boy try to sound/act/dress black.  
    The whole "nigga" thang strted with black people. Black leaders declared that the word "nigger" was offensive and that no self respecting black person should use it anymore.....hence"nigga"....."Naw, I'm not saying nigger!...I'm saying "nigga!!"........all bullshit. Any person who uses either word, is just showing his ass, and intelligence level.
  9.  permalink
    RandomFryGuy, you do know that in another topic you say you make 35-50k a year and last week you made $800?  

Someone is bullshitting and it smells like you.
  10.  permalink
    Simple math says $800x52=$41,600? That is right in the middle, I don't get your logic? It goes up and down, you can easily make between $35-50k at Fry's in just sales, depending on how good of a salesman you are. Other people make more money than me.
  11.  permalink
    lol RandomFrysGuy. Some people assume you make a fix income every week in sales. It's obvious that you're going to have your good and bad weeks. That's just a part of Sales. I do agree that Fry's may not be the best place to work in the world, but it sure beats not working.
  12.  permalink
    First and foremost, you started this thread by saying that you needed help with your sales.  

Now that that's out of the way; Interesting math! You say that you just earned $800, prior to that you made $560, and before that paycheck you claim to have had a sales slump averaging $200. So maybe $800 x 52 isn't for you.  

Let's break down your current numbers: (From what you've provided)  
    $800 +  
    $560 ($1360) +  
    $200 x 6 = $120 ($2560) +  
    $800 x 44 = $35,200  
    for a yearly grand total of $37,760. Not quite $41,600 (which for the record, is most definitely not "right down the middle" of 35-50, that honor goes to 42.5). And this $37.7k assumes that you sell great for the rest of the year.  

Now let's get real. Even you agree that sales has it's ups and downs. You actually prove it by telling us that your paychecks have fluctuated between $200-$800. So why don't we average it out for you, not just assume that you do $800 a week for the remainder of the year. Let's use the exact numbers you've provided.  
    Your standard month:  
    Week 1, Average $560  
    Week 2, Slump $200 ($760)  
    Week 3, Great $800 ($1560)  
    Week 4, Average $560 ($2120)  
    Putting your monthly net at $2,120.00  
    $2120 x 12 = $25,440.  

$25,440 < $41,600  
    Given the numbers you provided, you would be making $16,160 less than the $800 a week - $41,600 yearly.  
    $25,440 < $37,760  
    With the numbers you've claimed and finishing off the rest of the year at $800 per week, this is $12,320 less.  

Bonus! Let's say you no longer have sales woes and you no longer have a week of $200, you actually up that to $325.  
    New monthly breakdown:  
    Week 1, Average $560  
    Week 2, Great $800  
    Week 3, "Slump" $325  
    Week 4, Average $560  
    Putting your monthly net at $2,245.  
    $2,245 x 12 = $26,940.  

Questions?
  13.  permalink
    The above message was composed by DeliverLikeMJ, typing said message took up quite the time frame and the site logged me out. Just to clarify.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011
    What matters is what is on your w-2!
  14.  permalink
    You do know I make a base $8/hr, right? So when I make $200 in commission I also make around $300 a week base pay, so even on a slow week I made $500 minimum, not $200. I am sorry to be confusing you. When I said I made $860 earlier, I meant my total gross pay for the week. Some really good guys in my department can make $600-750 in commission alone, plus the $300-ish base. When I said a slow week was $200 I meant commission only, that is still $500 gross pay after my base pay. A decent week at $325 would be around $625 gross. So my numbers of $35-50k are fairly accurate. If I made just $500 every week for the entire year, which is REALLY bad, then I would end up at the $26,000 you quoted earlier.  

I personally am on the BOTTOM of the components department in my store. I am consistantly worse than my coworkers and will probably still earn 35k this year. Other coworkers in my department are probably closer to 45k. Audio/video and computers have their top guys probably pulling in 50k, maybe even some a little higher. I actually didn't think of appliance/telecom. They get paid pretty bad I heard. Some of them might not hit $35k, but my store has a pretty small appliance department, it is hard to sell stuff with a tiny show room. The show room for ovens, microwaves, washers, dryers and dishwashers is smaller than the computer section.  

Components and appliance/telecom make base $8/hr + commission. Computers and a/v make all commission, but have a draw system, so there is no way they are going to make less than the $300, I believe. I honestly don't know how the draw system works, but no one full time is going to bring $200 in a week no matter what. Of course if you draw too much you're gone, but I heard it doesn't happen too often.  

Any questions?
  15.  permalink
    I also had issues with purchasing new items only to find out there are missing components or parts inside the sealed packaging. Frys refused to allow me to return my item and I was shit outta luck. I'll never shop there again!
  16.  permalink
    Oh yeah, randomfrysguy, it's quite apparent u are a total dumbass!