Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSolarMan
    • CommentTimeJan 20th 2011
    No - not for the long haul. Just want something to do for six months or so until one of the big solar projects gets going. (But since I don't know for a fact what will happen, I can tell Fry's I want to work permanent.) Yeah, I've seen all the bad stuff here about working at Fry's, but for my situation it'd be OK. Get out of the house, make a few bucks, and not feel bad when I quit. I'm getting along in years, but I've seen some old guys working there and figure I'll give it a shot. Looks pretty easy to get hired - can someone tell me what the process is and what the chances are? Fry's always seems to be looking for people. And I actually know something about computers.  
    :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchFrys
    They'll call you to come in and you will get interviewed by the sups in the department you will work in. They'll cross examine you on yourfarmiliarity with whatever you may sell or upkeep, mine's was a very light interview but try to sell a nice energetic personality more so over your technical knowledge, but that is also needed. You'll then be asked to come back later and get interviewed by the store manager, which is most cases is the easier interview. If you past that you are hired pending your drug test.  

There is some training for whatever you are doing for 1 week in a classroom environment and then finally you will shadow someone who has been there. I would say that the biggest hurdle is learning the POS, which is the system that they use to keep track of everything. That whole system is cumbersome and most of the computers they have are old and falling apart. Those 2 elements combined will make your job the most aggravating part but you're just going to have to make it work for you. That system will be your lifeline and you have to be very quick with it in order to get anything done.  

If you go into sales you have to keep track of which items pay a commission and which don't, you could be working for free if the item pay is zero. You should also keep an eye out for the money you've made constantly as some customers may not show your quotes when they get to the cashier. It does kinda get to be a fun game after a while, but sucks when you get stuff returned because there is also negative commission too.  

Just sort yourself out, most people I've talked with had lots of problems breaking in but once you do, it's not that hard.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    To add to what FrenchFrys said, Fry's is a retail store so turnaround is pretty high. They're always looking for new people, and as long as you don't have anything bad on your record, you should get in easily. There are several different departments you can apply to, but since you know computers, there are three that you should look into:  

components - they sell the memory, CPUs, computer cases various cables, toys and various other electronic doodads  
    computers - they sell the computer systems, videocards, more cables, office supplies, printers and etc  
    computer repair - they fix computers and handle most of the extended warranty issues  

While it can be fun working in components, cleaning up at the end of the day can be a real drag as there are lots of items that get scattered around during the day. Items in the computers department are larger and easier to organize. In the end, it's a sales job and presentation is everything. Make sure you're clean-shaven, dressed professionally, and smell nice. As long as you use your computer knowledge to help sell the items in the store, you should be able to make a pretty penny before you leave.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSolarMan
    • CommentTimeJan 21st 2011
    Thanks for your comments. Good to have an idea of what goes on and what I should do to make a good presentation. I like shopping at Fry's (yes - I always know EXACTLY what I want when I go in) and figured it would be a good experience to learn the inventory from the store side. No police record and I have prior experience in retail sales, so that should be a plus in getting hired.  
    :face-devil-grin:
  1.  permalink
    What store are you applying for? Good luck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSolarMan
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2011
    San Diego is closest.
  2.  permalink
    Let us know if you get the job...
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2011
    SolarMan: San Diego is closest.

I'll give the superiors in san diego a heads up. Ill put in a good word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2011
    asdf: I'll give the superiors in san diego a heads up. Ill put in a good word.

...I'd love to hear that conversation. *ring ring* "hi can I talk to the PIC? Yea it's asdf from Fry's Forum, just wanted to let you know that a guy named "PenguinMan" wants a job and I think you should hire him..."