Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthornewfrysguy
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    I'm being offered a position in computer sales (I'm currently a cashier). I'm a college student looking to work 20 hours a week.  

Do you recommend I take the position in computer sales?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    cashier looking to go computer sales
    cashier looking to go computer sales
    Moving to computer sales - tips please!!!
    Got a call for a interview for computer sales position advice needed.
    Is Computer Sales the stinky butthole of all stores?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2011
    Yes you will make more than double than you're making now!
  2.  permalink
    you double what you are making sitting around pushing buttons and touching money.  

why not?
  3.  permalink
    Can make more money for sure but be careful, if you don't sell enough you'll get fired.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2011
    It's impossible not to sell enough. Everyone is making double or quadruple!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnon21871
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011
    I don't know if it's too late, but here's the rundown.  

You will do well if you can consistently meet your sales goals in the department. This would be an easy thing if the customers were rich and stupid. Most aren't. It will not be easy to sell the Performance Service Contract (in-store warranty) to customers, and guess what. This will be your meal-ticket to making money.  

This position is also commission-only. This means you need to work your ass off just to make as much as a McDonalds employee. Then work your ass off even more just to make a profit. It may sound easy, but keep in mind that Fry's Electronics caters to cheapskate customers. Customers who are always hunting for a "Deal" or "Bargin Bin prices". They usually won't budge from an ad-item and they usually don't pay any commission at all. And of course if you try to sell them anything so you can make money, they usually get pissed off at you. These are how MOST customers act.  

You may get lucky and get a few customers who actually will say yes to a non-ad Laptop/Desktop and a 3 year PSC, but they are kinda rare. It is based around luck.  

You also need to realize that you're NOT the only salesmen on the floor. Chances are you're going to be working with 6 - 8 salesmen on the floor at the same time you're working. All of them equally as hungry for Commission as you're going to be, therefore your odds encountering such customer are going to be drastically reduced.  

If you're okay with all of then, then Computers is the right job for you. Otherwise, I'd stay the hell away from it; or at least until they decide to go back to Hourly + Commission.
  4.  permalink
    From what others have told me, computer sales is very competitive. The top of computer sales make a lot of money, the other people make a good deal less. I can't see how anyone would make as much or around a McDonalds employee, though. In components we have so many people, it isn't the quality of the sale but the quantity. There are so many customers, it is about making as many small transactions as possible. I like components.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2011
    RandomFryGuy: From what others have told me, computer sales is very competitive. The top of computer sales make a lot of money, the other people make a good deal less. I can't see how anyone would make as much or around a McDonalds employee, though. In components we have so many people, it isn't the quality of the sale but the quantity. There are so many customers, it is about making as many small transactions as possible. I like components.

Everybody knows CompOWNents (spelled wrong) owns the store. That's what we say in our store. As far as computer sales, don't listen to "anon." To say it's all luck is BS. The people that are the most ruthless with pushing psc's and accessories will make the most money. If you don't have the right mindset you won't succeed.
  5.  permalink
    One thing you have to understand about Fry's is that you will receive little to no training and you have to either be a natural salesman/woman and/or someone who already has a great amount of sales training already under your belt. If you don't feel you align with either or both of those, I wouldn't waste your time. You will more likely quit before you get fired. I work with only 3 ppl that I worked with 2 years ago, and we see the sales staff recycle time and time again while we hit numbers, and everyone else constantly quits or gets fired. There are tools for making money at Fry's, but without prior sales experience, you won't know what tools to use, or how to use them. You'll get eaten up and spit out. You'll work your first month in sales and already have the department manager getting on your butt as to why you didn't know how to do your job like 10+ year seasoned sales veterans can. The best part is, he did barely a thing to let you know how to do your job in the first place.

You will likely make more money then you are now, regardless... the only question, how long can you last.
  6.  permalink
    The short answer is NO. As sales associate at Frys you can be successful ONLY if you are an asshole who is ready to rollover customers beeng pushy and rude to sell enough items other than what customer wants and service contract to make commission. If you are not such a type all other sales associates are.
  7.  permalink
    always remember to sell the high performance plan first for 3 years..throw in some monster related sh*t and you're good to go.