Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    I have already submitted a drug test and my background check is pending. I have a previous co-worker with Fry's who's pretty much assuring me that if I've gotten the drug test, I'm in as soon as it's through. So is there anything else I should do? Check in with the store manager maybe and make sure the drug test results got back to them? Or now that it's done do I simply wait for a call?  

Coming out of the Optical industry, worked in a gaming store in the past as an Assistant manager. Going to be very different getting back into electronics after spending almost 2 years being the douche that dilates your eyes and makes you wear silly paper sunglasses.
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    Why is Frys so obsessed with getting Fry's cards?
    Even MORE help getting a better job!
    Help getting a better job!
    My frys seems to be getting less and less shipments as of late, is this happening to everyone else?
    Questions about Fry's PSC
  3.  permalink
    If you have to work at Fry's look for another job on the side. Trust me, you'll hate the place in a short time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2011
    IMightBeWrong: So is there anything else I should do?

Ready to sell your soul to the devil? :face-devil-grin:
  4.  permalink
    Worst mistake you have ever made.
  5.  permalink
    you still have time to tell them you changed your mind, that place is a hell hole and management is fucken evil as fuck ...their turnover rate is very high and they treat employees like slaves
  6.  permalink
    IMightBeWrong: I have already submitted a drug test and my background check is pending. I have a previous co-worker with Fry's who's pretty much assuring me that if I've gotten the drug test, I'm in as soon as it's through. So is there anything else I should do? Check in with the store manager maybe and make sure the drug test results got back to them? Or now that it's done do I simply wait for a call?  

Coming out of the Optical industry, worked in a gaming store in the past as an Assistant manager. Going to be very different getting back into electronics after spending almost 2 years being the douche that dilates your eyes and makes you wear silly paper sunglasses.

If you did the drug test you are hired. They won't send you to a drug test as part of the interview process.  

Also the place isn't QUITE as bad as some people here make it. This is a pretty negative forum. Just don't be an idiot and don't piss off the wrong people. If you want to move to sales, get on the good side of a department manager.
  7.  permalink
    So how long does it usually take to get the results of the drug test and background check? I am officially out of my last job so hopefully I start training soon.
  8.  permalink
    One week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011
    RandomFryGuy: Also the place isn't QUITE as bad as some people here make it. This is a pretty negative forum. Just don't be an idiot and don't piss off the wrong people. If you want to move to sales, get on the good side of a department manager.

That's what most CURRENT Frys employees have to say. As soon as they quit/get fired........you see quite a different kind of post. "The truth shall set you free!!!"  

Frys is a dead end job. Focus your efforts into finding a REAL job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011 edited
    Get out while you still can, but if you choose to stay...well, we DID warn you.  

If you want an idea of what you're getting into...get an eyeful of this...and no this is not an exaggeration.  

http://frysforum.com/discussion/1991/you-know-you-work-at-frys-if/
  9.  permalink
    I never said you want to stay at Fry's. While it isn't a "dead end job", I wouldn't recommend working there for an extended period of time. It is easily the best paying retail job out there, and really you can make a lot of money for someone with no education if you can sell. It is a great job if you are in college, inexperienced or just need a job ASAP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2011
    RandomFryGuy: It is easily the best paying retail job out there, and really you can make a lot of money for someone with no education if you can sell. It is a great job if you are in college, inexperienced or just need a job ASAP.

Hardly. If you HAVE TO work retail, you can make quite a bit more selling cellphone plans, or cars. Frys isn't the only place to offer part-time schedules or commission. MANY jobs don't require experiance or more than a HS education, and I don't see as many folks in other retail jobs bitch and complain about work conditions as I see here. Frys has a reputation for a reason.
  10.  permalink
    How much do cell phone salesmen make? I made over $850 this week, gross. Some other salesmen are making $1,000+. I know car salesmen can make money, but if you think working at Fry's is bad, working as a car salesman is far worse. It is like working for the Devil. The only way to make money is ripping people off and pocketing the difference. It isn't like I tell a customer a $150 router is $200 and pocket the difference. That is what a car salesman does to make money. What other big retail places have commission? This is the only job that I have found where I can take 15 units of school and make $35-50k a year. Also, of course you are going to see a lot of people bitching about Fry's, this is what the forum is for. I'm sure you can find forums, websites and facebook pages relating to how much Best Buy sucks. Who cares?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2011
    You will regret the years lost working at Fry's.  
    Think about how your living now, add 3 years and thats how it will be after Fry's.
  11.  permalink
    I don't get the "years lost" part? Are you not gaining money or experience working at Fry's? It isn't that bad man. Just work for awhile and find a better job if the opportunity arises. Some of you people are really making a bigger deal than you should . . . it is just a job. I have had plenty. It really isn't that bad. Work at Fry's, get a degree, money and experience. You will either find another job or the economy will be better. I'm making $500+ each week and I am perfectly happy with that until I have my bachelors.
    •  
      CommentAuthorShigman
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2011
    I can't speak for other stores but store 24 is pretty bad. The promote idiots(those at 24 see how dumb sup Christian in front check out is). And for the hard workers, they take advantage to not promote or transfer to a better position just to keep them at low labor dollars.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    RandomFryGuy: How much do cell phone salesmen make? I made over $850 this week, gross. Some other salesmen are making $1,000+. I know car salesmen can make money, but if you think working at Fry's is bad, working as a car salesman is far worse. It is like working for the Devil. The only way to make money is ripping people off and pocketing the difference. It isn't like I tell a customer a $150 router is $200 and pocket the difference. That is what a car salesman does to make money. What other big retail places have commission? This is the only job that I have found where I can take 15 units of school and make $35-50k a year. Also, of course you are going to see a lot of people bitching about Fry's, this is what the forum is for. I'm sure you can find forums, websites and facebook pages relating to how much Best Buy sucks. Who cares?

If yer good...cell phone salesmen can make 1,000 - 2,000 a week. Car salesmen more. Hell, FedEx drivers can make even more....and no experience/degree/training required. I can't see why anybody would settle for a retail job of any kind. Once you get used to the slack work ethic, yer pretty much ruined for any real job.......and yes, when you quit/get fired...you'll be back here tellin it how it REALLY is.
  12.  permalink
    DONT ACCEPT THE JOB, YOU WILL REGRET IT EVERYDAY OF YOURE LIFE.... FRYS CAN RUIN UR LIFE.
  13.  permalink
    RandomFryGuy, what I'm getting out of your responses is that you prefer to work at Fry's as a salesman as opposed to a car dealership as a salesman because car salesman have to rip customers off? A/V salesman are required to sell Monster products that is typically marked up 500% above cost to a large majority of their customers. In fact, if they don't sell enough of the Monster brand products, Fry's requires the salesman to come in on their day off to undergo "Monster Training". Now please tell me the difference between a $150 Monster HDMI cable and a $35 non brand name HDMI cable. Keep in mind, you HAVE to sell me the Monster cable.  

If that's not ripping the customer off, I don't know what is. I sure hope you aren't an A/V salesman telling people you don't rip your customers off.
  14.  permalink
    Car sales is even worse. Imagine if not only you're trying to sell a monster cable to someone, but you're basically trying to make up your own price on it so you can pocket the difference. That is pretty much what car sales is.  

And aren't Monster cables basically set at a specific price evwerywhere? It isn't like Fry's specfically marked it up 500% for the hell of it. Everyone sells these cables and at pretty much the same price. You can buy Monster cables at Newegg if you wanted to. If people want to buy Monster cables, go for it.
  15.  permalink
    You missed the point entirely.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    DeliverLikeMJ - perhaps there are people that prefer to work at Fry's because they either have no other marketable skills or no ambition to excel. FWIW, yes, there are those that work at Fry's to help pay for college, but...IMHO, they're in the minority.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011 edited
    DeliverLikeMJ: You missed the point entirely.

Oh he gets the point. He'd rather sell bullsh*t by the ounce, rather than the pound. It's so much more "right" that way.  

I'm not here to praise commission sales of any kind.... I'm merely pointing out the Frys is not "the best" commission job, as stated. There ARE better jobs out there that don't require special skills....or working in a retail store. The people I see working at Frys, while not making an active sale, stand around with their hands in their pockets, looking bored. Not exactly the best way to jump-start a work ethic.  
    Anyone who reads here how the company treats their employees....and still wants to work there....more power to ya....intelligence is not a pre-requisite of working at Frys, but a thick hide is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRandomFryGuy
    • CommentTimeMar 8th 2011 edited
    You're right, your opinion ( obviously unbiased ) is just so much better than mine. I should also listen to Obi-Wan who is clearly even less biased. I am going to quit my job and become a priest to atone for my sins of selling Monster(tm) cables to people who can afford a $100 cable without blinking an eye. Maybe Jesus will then forgive me. Maybe.  

Oh, where would I be without this forum?  

PS. I sell components, we don't have Monster(tm) cables, I just sell a lot of D-Link to make my money.  

PPS. Have you taken a look at the people who work at Fry's? There are some older timers, but there are a LOT of people in the 18-25 "college" range. Minority my ass.  

PSSWTFBBQ: I said Fry's was the best paying retail, I don't particularly consider auto sales as a "retail" job, but yes they do pay extremely well, depending on dealership, etc. Again I find auto sales ( especially used ) to be FAR more shadier, but I am not going to particularly argue on that, each has his own opinion, I just don't think Fry's is the evil place everyone makes it out to be. I don't particularly love working there and don't plan on working here for an extended amount of time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAcidgrey
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2011
    learn how to juggle customers, if someone was talking to a customer and walks away at any time, jump in their place and try to finish the sale before they get back. If you don't do it, it WILL be done to you... Learn to lie to customers and how to con people, it's how the top people in the departments make the big bucks. Management even told me lieing / being shady is a part of sales......
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011 edited
    RandomFryGuy: PSSWTFBBQ: I said Fry's was the best paying retail, I don't particularly consider auto sales as a "retail" job

Change jobs, and ya might be able to afford a NEW car.....which yes, IS "RETAIL". I would THINK someone working in a retail store, would know what the word retail means.......won't be the first time I was wrong.
  16.  permalink
    skullywag:
    RandomFryGuy: PSSWTFBBQ: I said Fry's was the best paying retail, I don't particularly consider auto sales as a "retail" job

Change jobs, and ya might be able to afford a NEW car.....which yes, IS "RETAIL". I would THINK someone working in a retail store, would know what the word retail means.......won't be the first time I was wrong.

I would THINK you can tell the difference between a store and dealership. And I won't be changing jobs any time lately, unless someone has a better idea that will give me Tuesday and Thursdays off.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011
    RandomFryGuy:
    skullywag:

I would THINK you can tell the difference between a store and dealership. And I won't be changing jobs any time lately, unless someone has a better idea that will give me Tuesday and Thursdays off.

First off you didn't say "store", you said, and I quote "the best paying retail job out there". Second, a dealership sells goods (new cars), which yes, makes them a store. I suggest ya whip out a Websters before you reinvent definitions for words.  

Give them books, but will they learn to read?
  17.  permalink
    I really cannot believe I am having this conversation. You are really just nitpicking and being a stubborn ass. Ok let us try this little exercise. Just pick A or B.  

"Where do you work?"  

"Oh I work retail".  

A. He probably works in a store such as Fry's, Target, Best Buy, Walmart.  

B. He probably works at a car dealership, selling Corvettes.  

Which do you identify most with? I mean really? When someone mentions "retail" does a car dealership instantly pop in to mind? I know what the LITERAL word means.
  18.  permalink
    I have the same question as in getting hired by Frys. Took a drug test on March 21, and well haven't received a call back from them. Called several times, and the person handling my paper work said she will call. Called and left a message for her today. I called last week and she said they are getting my result anytime soon. Does it take 2 weeks to start working?
  19.  permalink
    Guest 17373CommentTime3 days ago permalink
    I have the same question as in getting hired by Frys. Took a drug test on March 21, and well haven't received a call back from them. Called several times, and the person handling my paper work said she will call. Called and left a message for her today. I called last week and she said they are getting my result anytime soon. Does it take 2 weeks to start working?
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------

STOP doing drugs!!!!!