Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011 edited
    So how does this work?  

They would not match Sam's Club or Costco saying they are "Membership clubs" that require an annual fee. For price matches, they forced the sales person to call the "LOCAL" competitor to verify the price and to verify it was in stock, all the while wasting valuable sales time helping other customers.  

Some sales people would "fake" a call lieing to the supervisor about verifying, just to get on to the next sale.  

So what happens now for the commissioned sales person who must verify the price and say it's a TV that internet would require shipping charges on top?  

Do they take a hit on the commission too for any price reductions?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Front Page Ad that Covers the Headlines in Orange County Register " We Match Internet Pricing! "
    Yes Fry's Matches Online Pricing, But NOT YOU!!! BECAUSE...
    Does your Fry's store have public internet?
    new internet price match signs
    Gigantic WE MATCH INTERNET PRICES banner on the store now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011
    FrenchyFry: So how does this work?  

They would not match Sam's Club or Costco saying they are "Membership clubs" that require an annual fee. For price matches, they forced the sales person to call the "LOCAL" competitor to verify the price and to verify it was in stock, all the while wasting valuable sales time helping other customers.  

Some sales people would "fake" a call lieing to the supervisor about verifying, just to get on to the next sale.  

So what happens now for the commissioned sales person who must verify the price and say it's a TV that internet would require shipping charges on top?  

Do they take a hit on the commission too?

You forgot to mention the part where the salesman will waste his time on the phone on a sale that will net him $0 commission most of the time.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMar 10th 2011
    Not to mention a phone call takes all of 5 mins. And 5 mins of a Frys employees time is worth what? $2,000?
  2.  permalink
    first it took away comision. then IP came along and for a week it retained full comission and then now it usually doesnt pay comission unlese the item has alot of GP.  
    salesmen hate it. it takes time and usually doesnt pay them a dime
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2011
    skullywag: Not to mention a phone call takes all of 5 mins. And 5 mins of a Frys employees time is worth what? $2,000?

5 minutes...if you were lucky.. some stores simply don't pick up there phones. and those 5 minutes if you were lucky can be the difference between a big sale or the zero dollar sale. I normally only got people coming in for price matching on weekends and busy times.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
  3.  permalink
    Between having to look it up and print out a page on these slow ass computers from 2002, adjust the item in the POS, get a supervisor to actually come over and password it, etc etc it can take awhile. It is real annoying when someone pulls it out after you have spent a bunch of time with them. The worst is a system build in components. Spend 45 minutes with a customer while they shop for each part individually, then when you have it all together "hey can your look all of these up on amazon?". Really dude? -_-() Oh well it isn't the worst thing ever, just an annoyance. And yes price matching doesn't pay anything and in fact usually gets me NEGATIVE gp, it literally hurts my sales numbers if I write the ticket.
  4.  permalink
    I've checked a few items and usually the difference in price wasn't worth the hassle. I'll just as soon pay the small difference than bust the salesman's chops to save a buck or two. But that's just me. Less reasonable customers would rip his heart out to save $.99 on a router. You know who you are...assclowns.
  5.  permalink
    had a customer price match for 3 dollars but that shit held up my area for like half an hour. sonofabitch
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMar 11th 2011
    RandomFryGuy: Between having to look it up and print out a page on these slow ass computers from 2002, adjust the item in the POS, get a supervisor to actually come over and password it, etc etc it can take awhile. It is real annoying when someone pulls it out after you have spent a bunch of time with them. The worst is a system build in components. Spend 45 minutes with a customer while they shop for each part individually, then when you have it all together "hey can your look all of these up on amazon?". Really dude? -_-() Oh well it isn't the worst thing ever, just an annoyance. And yes price matching doesn't pay anything and in fact usually gets me NEGATIVE gp, it literally hurts my sales numbers if I write the ticket.

Can't help the fact that an electronics store is too cheap to spend on electronics for their own staff, but you can simply say "I'm sorry, I can't do that" when a customer asks for a page list to be looked up. If they want to compare, fine....but that should be on them. If Frys is going to offer a price match, they need to come up with a better, faster way of doing it....for the sake of their employees and customers.  

I DO get a kick out of watching salespeople at frys going to print up a quote tho....WinXP, 15" CRT, wired keyboard missing a key or two, mouse that has a rubber ball.... LOL That's Laurel and Hardy shit there....
  6.  permalink
    My friend worked at Fry's about 6-8 years ago and they didn't even have Windows, they were using all commpand prompts. Half the time the keyboards don't even work correctly right now.
  7.  permalink
    Just put your best price up front. When Newegg says "We match Fry's" I'll be interested.
  8.  permalink
    Uhhh, sometimes we are cheaper than Newegg? Stuff comes and goes on sale all the time. Most of the regular prices are the same, it is just something goes on sale for a day or two and that is why price matching exists, people will come to Fry's to get the Newegg sale price instead of ordering online.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2011
    RandomFryGuy: people will come to Fry's to get the Newegg sale price instead of ordering online.

Will they receive a product (such as motherboards, video cards, etc.) that hasn't been opened, tossed around or had the box munched? I can't recall a time when I didn't see an unopened/munched mobo box at Fry's.
  9.  permalink
    I usually carry a small, unobtrusive x-ray machine when I'm at Fry's. That way it is pretty east to tell if the box has been opened...especially when the plastic banding machine was set on "crush".
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011
    Guest: I usually carry a small, unobtrusive x-ray machine when I'm at Fry's. That way it is pretty east to tell if the box has been opened...especially when the plastic banding machine was set on "crush".

Don't carry it in your front pocket. Radiation ain't good on the nutz.  
    I didn't know the Frys banding machine had any other setting BUT "crush"? Any store that has a newer model with extra settings must have bought it a Best Buy. :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2011
    There are two other settings besides "crush"....there's also "kill" and "destroy"  

Extra points for knowing which TV show featured the line "crush kill destroy"
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2011
    ObiWan: There are two other settings besides "crush"....there's also "kill" and "destroy"  

Extra points for knowing which TV show featured the line "crush kill destroy"

Lost in space of course! Wheres my points?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Excellent - I'm impressed
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    Was my favorite rerun show as a youngin...too young to realize that the "land mines" in one episode were really beach balls because their budget was pocket change. LOL
  10.  permalink
    In round numbers, what commission can a components guy expect on a $500 motherboard/CPU sale?? Is there an easy way to find a components sales guy is most knowledgeable? I'd hate to have the commission on my purchase my sale fall into the wrong hands.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3346
    • CommentTimeMar 25th 2011
    a 500$ mobo/cpu sale will either net 0-3 dollars in components.
    a 1000$ computer sale will net around 0-10 dollars in computers.
    etc

If anything is price matched = 0 commission
    if anything is LPG = 0 commission
    if anything is a sale item = 0 commission.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3346
    Customers who come in getting a laptop on sale and cause a stink on who gets the commission for it are the worst. Stink as in "hey, can you check newegg/amazon/tigerdirect/etc for a price check for me?" or a "go talk to your manager and work on this price for me (ON A SALE ITEM)"

You fuckers give us $0 commission and waste our time.
  11.  permalink
    Three dollars on a $500 sale? That commission schedule is BS. Now I See why employees are complaining... I would have guessed it would be at least $10-15. I've never worked in retail though. For extra credit: what it the rationale for putting cashiers on commission? They certainly don't sell anything unless they score a Fry's card. Is that typical in retail sales?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3346
    Cashiers used to make $1 for every $1000 they rung up. They are going to change that now to 0.25 cents for every $500 they ring up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3346
    The rationale was the make cashiers work faster hoping to make more money.

However this led to corruption "cherry picking vannas" where the line would be held up so that the vanna can give the big sale to his/her friends.

Fry's is crawling with stupid decisions that reward corruption.
  12.  permalink
    How fast can they work? They can't work any faster than the supply of customers. So what does the average cashier make per hour?
  13.  permalink
    If Fry's wants to see fast cashiers, go to Costco. It's amazing what good pay, benefits and top drawer management can do.
  14.  permalink
    I was the best cashier at store 15. I would ring up an average of 800 to 900 people a week and do an average of $125k in sales on a register per week. They fired me because someone didn't like me and then told everyone it was for Frys cards. I was making $400 a week after taxes. But if they are gonna lower the commission rate there is no friggin way anyone is gonna make more than $300 a week as a cashier. Yes, I was a cherrypicker but I was also fast and efficient at my job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAcidgrey
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2011
    Price match one cent and all commission goes away. They should take it out of the managers pay first, that would motivate people to get the issue fixed quicker. It's also bullshit when you take a full hit when someone comes back in for an LPG. I know it will never happen, but I still think they should take it out of the department managers pay first, or even the store managers or they will never fix the issue. Who ever came up with taking away all commission for matching even a penny is a dick.
  15.  permalink
    Look at the bright side. Fry's is not a maximum security prison. You can quit anytime if don't like something... Lol!
  16.  permalink
    At store 34, cashier makes $7.25/hr. Certified cashier makes the same wage plus 0.18% commission of total $ rung up. $1.80 per $1000.
  17.  permalink
    The original intent behind commissioned sales was to allow for associates to have a share in the profit. Sounds great until they added all the bullshit qualifiers to the commission tables. If a tiered commission structure was actually utilized (i.e., associates earn a fixed percentage of an item's GP) than this wouldn't be so much of an issue. Far too often the amount of profit an item has is in no way related to the commission it pays. You can find items that have over 50% GP and pay nothing, and you can find clearance items that have negative margin that still pay $10-$30. Typical payment of commission in most businesses is calculated on the basis of a percentage of the goods sold. What Fry's calls "commission" is in no way related to what anyone else defines it as. The M&O teams simply use the commission structure to have another hand in moving product. If they have clearance items that need to move, they'll slap a high commission on it, even if it's a negative GP item. If there's a loss-leader in the ad, they'll reduce the payment to $0 to motivate associates to try and push something that has better margin. Commission is simply another tool for the Home Office buying team and upper management to control sales flow.  

Having said that, the following should come as no surprise:  

Internet Price Match: $0 paid to the associate  
    Competitive Price Match (brick and mortar store as opposed to online retailer, don't ask me why these are distinguished): $0 paid to the associate  
    Low Price Guarantee: $0 paid to the associate (as in the commission earned is deducted from his/her next paycheck, known as "taking a hit")  

This leads to the conclusion that if a customer asks for a price match, as soon as you find that the price match is valid, just hand the sale to your DSC to write up and password and move on to another customer. They're there for that reason, and after a price match the sale will do NOTHING for you but waste your time.  

This is probably the most outrageous part of the whole pay scheme. Sales associates have no control over the price match policy or what's going to be on ad the following week, but if the DSC does a price match or MIC does an LPG or a buyer decides to put something on ad, and a customer takes advantage, it's the sales associate that "takes the hit."  

All of this really makes you wonder how the pay structure for sales associates can possibly be legal, especially since the bulk of Fry's stores are in California. Seems like the Department of Labor would have stepped in by now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3346
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2011
    The worst part is when the price matching is <30% GP. Walking the customer up to the front to get the SM/ASM password is probably the biggest waste of 1 hour of life you can attempt. standing there knowing the sale is $0 and standing there... lifeless
  18.  permalink
    DAMN U D-link SWITCHES!!!

FAIL

I havn't make any money from a switch for ever >:(
Add your comments