Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeSep 9th 2011
    From HD Guru.com  

Once you’ve determined the make and model set you want and have the best on-line prices, it’s time to get the best deal from your local store.  

When the commissioned salesperson at your local store approaches, deliver the following: “I have already decided the make and model of the HDTV I want to purchase. I am now shopping for the best price. I want a (your brand here), model (your model number here). You have it tagged at $$$, I can get it for $$$. Can you beat the price?”  

This makes the commissioned salesperson’s job really easy. While the commission decreases as the price drops, he or she has invested zero time in the transaction, which makes it a “found sale” requiring only a lower price than the one you’ve quoted. Compare that with having to spend an hour or more with a “just looking” customer and you’ll understand why the salesperson will be willing to see your bid and lower it.  

You may be asked the source of your retail price, which you should divulge. It’s a good idea to have a backup price and retailer in the event the salesperson claims your first retailer is not an authorized dealer (Frys.com, jandr.com and national retailers Best Buy and CircuitCity.com are all authorized dealers for the brands they sell).  

If the salesperson beats the price, you have several options depending upon what your time is worth: You may make the deal, content that at the moment you have the cheapest price, or you may want to shop another store, or another branch of the same chain, since many “negotiating floor” chains have a policy that requires sales people to beat the price of another store in the same chain, figuring the company would rather make the sale than let it go to another chain.  

If you have the time and want to make the effort you can keep going until you reach the point where the other store will just match (or refuse) the best price you have on hand.  

Often, when a store beats your best price and you respond by telling the salesperson that you want to keep shopping, the response might be, “What price do you need to buy the set right now?” Have that price in mind to close the deal, unless you really like shopping!  

A few more tips  

All salespeople try to recoup lost profits (and commissions) by offering add on services (delivery, installation, extended warranties) and accessories (i.e. expensive HDMI cables). Avoid the latter. If you want the store to deliver the set, determine the charge prior to negotiating price. Learn the store’s return policies and make sure you accept the terms before buying the set.  

If a set with hidden damage is not returnable for an immediate replacement, insist that the one you buy is unpacked for your inspection and make sure it works before taking it home.  

The HD Guru is not a big advocate of extended warranties, especially if they cost more that 10% of the price of the set. Keep in mind that many gold and/or platinum credit card providers (American Express, MasterCard, Visa) will double the manufacturer’s warranty for free (check terms and conditions with the respective credit card companies). Most top name brand HDTVs come with a one-year parts and labor factory warranty.  

The HD GURU™ has written extensively about the futility of buying high priced HDMI cables. You can purchase a perfectly good one on-line for under $3 dollars, or get one at a discount store like Wal-mart for around $20.00. If you want to purchase one when you buy the set, it should be easy to negotiate the price since they all have huge margins.  

Remember: in a “negotiating floor” consumer electronics store, you can bargain the price of any item, not just the HDTV!
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Fry's Dropping Commission Only for Salespeople
    Are sales associates delivering for their customers?
    Happy Employees = Happy Customers = More Money For Frys
    Computer sales people work on commission only?
    So I heard Sales People are going to be commission only.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 5942
    These tips are pretty exaggerated.

The part about the HDMI cables and stuff is true but Fry's has this covered by selling cheap $5 hdmi cables as well as Monster.

The part about the warranty is mostly true except that most people buy these things mistakenly believing that they can get the item replaced for damage (usually caused by kids). Unless there is some actual huge recall issue (samsung capacitors a few years back) you will rarely need the warranty.

If Fry's is matching another price they will not mark it down further to seal the deal. The general reason is that even though you won't buy it for $1,000, someone else will. It's not like they have 50,000 TV's in the store that they can't move. And why would you waste your time to go somewhere else for the same price with gas as high as it is?

As stated previously on this forum the salesperson will not be motivated to help customers with price matches. Generally this practice causes the salesperson to lose any commission they would have made on that item. Fry's does not have a flat commission structure. (Stupid)

As far as I am concerned, there is no arbitrary negotiating. It's pretty much a take it or leave it kind of situation. The stores have a lot of tools like price matching, convenient return policy, and commissioned (unless they are getting screwed) salesmen to close sales. If an item is $100 and for some reason a competitor has it for $90 Fry's will sell it for $90. They even have people shop in other stores and check websites so they can permanently drop prices to stay competitive. They won't just drop the price more because you want them too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 5942
    I forgot this too.

There is sometimes room for negotiation for open box/discontinued/display items. But not for brand new unopened items.
  2.  permalink
    if the item is new, no discounts. if the item is an open box/return/demo, then yes, definitely some room.

and once you tell the salesperson you want to have the price reduced via price match, they will cease to help you unless you add on accessories. they do not get commission.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 9064
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2011
    umm the PSC on anything from components is worth it... same day replacement? win
  3.  permalink
    as far as unopened items goes, its not always true about closed box. in a store like mine where business is slim and we need to move appliances tell the salesperson if you're interested in purchasing multiple appliances and want a discount for getting all of them. i at least will get a hold of the manager and most of the time make something happen. just don't expect a miracle if you want what's in the ad because most of the time its not going to pay me and i'm not going to waste either of our time bending over backwards. sorry if this offends you but i am not going out of my way to make zero dollars in a job where only my commissions pay me.

Oh! and i like your line about the internet price matching and trying to haggle more off afterwards, that's rich! hate to break it to you but here at least once we give you the internet price match that's it. since commissions are based on gross profit here once you take that away there's no incentive for the salesman to further sweeten the deal as it would be more profitable for them to tell you "take it or leave it" and finish the sale or move on than to waste any more time on what's not making them money. If that sounds cutthroat to you then you can blame fry's as a company because that's how they've made it the only way to survive.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 15th 2011
    I've re-read this several times, and the same question keeps coming to mind - why would I waste my time, first, trying to negotiate with a Fry's salesperson? That's almost an exercise in futility. And then to go from one store to another in the same chain to see if they'll beat the other's price? I've probably lost that amount in gas.  

Side note regarding HDMI cables - while I agree that paying for overpriced cables such as Monster is a waste of money, some cables are only rated at 60hz, whereas many new HDTV's are 120hz. There is a visual difference between the two.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 5942
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011
    The $5 cables are 10.2GBps. Even 15.8GBps cables are sold at Fry's for $15-$25 max.