Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthormr.guy
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011
    Alright so I applied , had 3 interviews with asm , sm etc. AND had the hook up because a friend of mine is a super working at the frys location where I applied . The sm even told both me and my friend that he really liked me (no idea why) . But I took my piss test around a week and a half ish ago (wed morning) and I have still not heard anything back from them , my piss test went fine otherwise the lab would have called and told me I was a bad person. And every time I call the store to talk to the hiring manager all I get is "we still haven't received your results but will call you first thing when we do" . So did something come up and they are just scared to tell me or does it seriously take this long to process a new hire cuz I'm tired of staring at my phone hoping for a call
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    I Swear I Thought They were Talking about Fry's
    Thoughts on the old POS/Webquote
    Pretty sure every Frys supervisor will have a new job in about 2 weeks
    Someone wanna guess how much longer till they remove Commission?
    I love shopping at Fry's as much as I hate working there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Are you sure that you really want to work for Fry's? You do understand that it's 100% commission and Fry's will jerk you and your hours around, right?
    •  
      CommentAuthormr.guy
    i want to work there because getting work anywhere else in this stat (ca) is neigh fucking impossible and i know for a fact the job is/was almost guaranteed to me plus my buddy works there so yeah thats cool , the sm filled out the new hire sheet right in front of me and told me/wrote down on the paper that id be getting 8.00/hr and full-time. It seems like the hiring manager is either incompetent or just lazy though because they don't even come to work til almost 5 (had to wait for an hour just to give her the new hire sheet and fill out the background check paperwork and get my drug test papers .  

Ive been reading these forums whilst mind fucking myself about getting or not getting the phone call saying i got the job and I've heard plenty of horror stores from my friend that works there, it doesn't phase me how bad it is i have hated every single job I've ever had. I just want to know if i should continue to stare at my phone waiting for a call or get back on the endless depressing journey that is job hunting
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    The hiring process is just a sneak preview of what's to come. When I originally applied, I thought, "wow, paper applications, no automated psychological evaluations through a website like every other company does now, these people want to get a feel for me and the whole thing. What a class act :face-smile:". It was only after I was hired that I found out it wasn't a class act, it's just that EVERYTHING there is in the stone age. Everything takes 3 weeks to process. Want to get reimbursed? 3 weeks. Bringing your computer in for repair? 6-8 weeks. Paid the wrong amount this week? We'll have it fixed in 3 weeks. Your name is spelled totally wrong on your paycheck? We'll have it fixed in 12-14 weeks. Hope you have a comfy chair next to that phone. The only two things that can be accomplished at Fry's in one day is the paperwork to fire someone (which takes about 30 minutes) and the process you have to go through if you loose your ID badge and need to get it replaced (which also takes about 30 minutes).
  2.  permalink
    They don't care about you. You are just another slave. When it happens it happens.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2011 edited
    mr.guy: i want to work there because getting work anywhere else in this stat (ca) is neigh f*cking impossible and i know for a fact the job is/was almost guaranteed to me plus my buddy works there so yeah thats cool , the sm filled out the new hire sheet right in front of me and told me/wrote down on the paper that id be getting 8.00/hr and full-time.

Well...let's see. News Flash! The economy isn't getting any better, and retail sales are down all around. Add into that, that Fry's is flooding their stores with sales associates. Still think Fry's is where you WANT to work?  

As to being told that you'd "be getting 8.00/hr and full-time", unless a potential employer puts that offer in writing to you, it isn't worth anything. Fry's can (and does) say one thing and then tell you you're on straight commission and give you a few hours to work per week.  

I grew up in California, so I know what the job market is like there. But that's no excuse to think that there aren't any other jobs available. If the only job you think you can get because of your skill sets is working for Fry's, it's time to upgrade your skill sets. [course, I will admit that your grammar and use of colorful language says that you'd be a great fit for Fry's].
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2011
    Obiwan, you realize that some people have to take a job, no matter how shitty so they can try to provide for there family? If it came down to no money or fry's, i guarantee the vast majority of the people would A: Suck it up, and B: use it as incentive to keep busting there ass to find something better so they can jump ship as soon as possible. I know for some people the bridge is burned, but if you've never worked there, and need some form of income to come in, then do it. Between Fry's and flipping burgers at McDonalds, i'd take Fry's any day of the week.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    There's a huge difference with taking a job with a firm that will tell you one thing, and then change everything around on a whim. Fry's appears to be doing that by flooding their sales floor with lots of part time commissioned sales people. You don't have to be a math whiz to figure out that it's going to be tough to make a decent living when you're in competition with so many others. At least at McDonalds, you'll know that you're not on commission, have a set wage, know what your working hours are, and they provide your uniform.  

Sorry, but Fry's reputation as an employer is shot - they should be considered as a last resort - only if there is absolutely nothing else out there, or you have no real skills and have no intention of developing any.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    I'm sorry, but if i got a family to feed and I got a choice between minimum wage 15-20hrs a week job or full time at fry's for a couple bucks more, i'm taking fry's so I have money coming in WHILE I still look for a new job. When you have other people depending on you, you sometimes have to take a job that's pure shit to survive. Especially in California where the unemployment rate is hovering at the 10% mark. As much as I hated fry's, I was thankful I had a job paying me 14 an hour so I can pay my bills till I got my current job with more hours + more pay + pension.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    California is a welfare state. If you have the desire to work, that puts you ahead of 50% of the competition. I call "bullsh*t" on the "anything to feed my family" line tho. There are jobs...even in California. Your financial situation is not "forcing" you to take a job with Frys. It is your choice. I've been unemployed several times, and times got *very* tough...I did not have to compromise myself to find a job. All it took was some elbow grease and a good attitude.  

A lot of folks who like tech, seem to think of Frys as a wet dream....until they start working there.....and then you see a lot of them here, whining about how they make no money, their bosses sh*t on them, and their company doesn't give a sh*t....yet they still cash their checks and threaten to quit. These folks are the perfect Frys employees, they take what is handed to them. To KNOW a job is sh*t, and still take it shows gullibility, if not stupidity. I hear male prostition is big bucks in Calif. Would you do that, to feed your family until something better came up? Of course not.  

I'm sure you're set on this job tho....come back in a month and tell us how great it is.
  3.  permalink
    Man , I ask a. simple question and everyone takes it upon themselves to be debbie downers and bitch and moan about how horrible and miserable ill be working there. I don't care.

Just wanted someone to shed some light on the hiring process to see if it taking this long for a call back is the norm

That is all
  4.  permalink
    Sorry man, thats what this forum is about unfortunately. There are a few regulars who come here only to bitch and talk shit on Fry's and they are generally unreasonable and not very understanding. It is like an obsession to a few, makes me thing Obi Wan got ass raped by Randy Fry or something and can't get over it.

Anyway back on track, I was unemployed for a year before I was hired at Fry's and it was a paycut at $8/hr, but I had to since unemployment was about to expire. I am in my late 20's and have a DECENT resume. I see people all the time in their 40's that had a variety of mechanical and engineering jobs that got laid off. When you need a job, you need a job. I went from $8 to $9 and then to $8+comission to commissiom only. I can tell you, I never made less than $15/hr on any paycheck, either $8+commission or commission only. Don't let the others scare you, but if you are REALLY shy and timid I don't recommend sales, unless you can break out of your shell. If you are just a normal person and you think you have a possibility of being a decent salesmen, I would say look for the opportunity, you will make double what you start out at. It seems scary at first when you are asked to go to sales, and it might be a rough week or two, but once you get used to it, it is fine. I would highly recommend that you try and prove yourself in order to move up fast.

Back on the drug test, I went in on the 5th and I didn't start working until the 25th. Shit moves SLOW at Fry's. And there is no "hiring manager". They are just the cashier supervisors that get to spend less time fucking with the registers and sit around making you read out of a handbook. When I went in, they literally made us read the ENTIRE BOOK, word for fucking word, round robin style. And I'll tell you, some people at Fry's really can't read or speak well. It was annoying. Good luck!
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2011 edited
    Guest: Man , I ask a. simple question and everyone takes it upon themselves to be debbie downers and bitch and moan about how horrible and miserable ill be working there. I don't care.  

Just wanted someone to shed some light on the hiring process to see if it taking this long for a call back is the norm  

That is all

Waaaw waaaw, lol, sorry dude, but this board is where a lot of people come to vent about Fry's. Like ObiWan... he reminds me of a scorned lover. Look I'll be totally honest, I don't hate Fry's, I hate various THINGS about Fry's. More than anything else, I loath inefficiency, and that's something that Fry's is absolutely riddled with. It's like at some point, Randy, John, and Dave, just threw their hands up in 1989 and said "fuck it, the company is efficient enough!" and stopped updating anything in the company except for the rules for getting fired. The reason I hate inefficiency so passionately is because when a process is inefficient, it means you need to hire more people in order to keep up with the workload. However, the customers will still be paying the same amount of money because you need to stay competitive in the market. That means you have no choice but to pay more people less money (what I call the "too little butter over too much bread syndrome"). Efficient processes means lots of butter over much less bread so even though you're employing fewer people in the market, they're much happier and have a much lower stress level in their job.  

The money actually wasn't TOO bad, but it's nothing compared to what I'm making now. I worked in service and made about 16 bucks an hour. Each month I would squirrel away 500 bucks in to a savings account and I quit Fry's after 1 year to learn about a completely different industry (process integration) and lived on my savings until I could support myself in my new field. Now I work for a company that's basically like "The Bobs" from the movie "Office Space". We go in to companies that are structured inefficiently (like Fry's) and figure out where the redundancy and poor computer processes are and reorganize everything.  

The key to anything in life is doing what you love, because if you love what you do, then you'll never "work" a day in your life. I think most of the people at Fry's who stay, feel they can't do better. They spend their whole paycheck each week and so they're trapped in this cycle that they can never get out of because they can't afford to miss a pay period. Granted, I only made minimum wage for a short time out of high school, and during that time I saved up the 300 bucks I needed to take the A+ and Mac certification tests so I could be hired by a repair company at a higher salary. Then I parlayed the money I made from that job (Fry's) in to my next goal. Life is a just a pyramid scheme. Figure out where you want to end up and then figure out how to work your way up there. All it takes is a little belief in yourself and knowing it might take a few years, but you'll eventually get there.  

Good luck with Fry's.
  5.  permalink
    Ah finally , someone with some words of wisdom/positive reinforcement! lol . I already have a plan ... work til i save enough cheese for a place , move into said place. continue to work and save and then attend a graphic design school and begin my future in the video game industry. Itl take time but I can assure that I will one day be designing video game environments characters and etc. As for working at frys, right now its convienent because my friend works there , its close to my house and the town i live in (somewhere in social) unless your mexican or a surfer guy / surfer girl type its hard as a mofo to get a job and thats not even exaggerating.

But as for fry's , i got the job =) start next week.

Ill be sure to come back in a month or so and tell you guys how much i hate it and how horrible it is there.

=D
  6.  permalink
    You better come back in a month lol, but seriously
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeSep 20th 2011
    skullywag: California is a welfare state. If you have the desire to work, that puts you ahead of 50% of the competition. I call "bullsh*t" on the "anything to feed my family" line tho. There are jobs...even in California. Your financial situation is not "forcing" you to take a job with Frys. It is your choice. I've been unemployed several times, and times got *very* tough...I did not have to compromise myself to find a job. All it took was some elbow grease and a good attitude.  

A lot of folks who like tech, seem to think of Frys as a wet dream....until they start working there.....and then you see a lot of them here, whining about how they make no money, their bosses sh*t on them, and their company doesn't give a sh*t....yet they still cash their checks and threaten to quit. These folks are the perfect Frys employees, they take what is handed to them. To KNOW a job is sh*t, and still take it shows gullibility, if not stupidity. I hear male prostition is big bucks in Calif. Would you do that, to feed your family until something better came up? Of course not.  

I'm sure you're set on this job tho....come back in a month and tell us how great it is.

Dunno where you came up with that as california denies you on welfare unless your an immigrant single mother :) We're rocking an over 10% unemployment rate, and in the silicon valley, engineer's, programmers, etc are a dime a dozen. It is a very cut throat market here and if your faced with expiring unemployment, you take what you can get. I hated my 5 years at fry's, but I took advantage of some workman's comp time off to find a better job and slid in before a massive hiring freeze for the agency I work for. All i've said that some people with ego's bigger then an athlete is that sometimes you have to take what's available, and get out as soon as something better comes along. If you would seriously rather not work and starve instead of working at fry's for a few months while you try to find something better, then something is seriously wrong with you.
  7.  permalink
    I took a drug test a week ago and they haven't call back yet
  8.  permalink
    I got called in for first interview few days after I turned in app, went in took 2 little interviews, took piss test, got called after the weekend, came in and am now doing first week of training, my manager told me im going into sales and im all for that.
    im only 18 and in college so any job is better than no job for me.
    i love electronics and everyone at my local frys is friendly as hell.
    btw i too live in california.
  9.  permalink
    What store
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 1991
    • CommentTimeOct 4th 2011
    alright so i know it hasnt been a month but i feel like i must share my experiences , all negative things will be in caps . A FEW PEOPLE IN MANAGEMENT ARE FUCKING RETARDS , and a few of them are regular nice people. THE POINT OF SALE SYSTEM IS RIDICULOUSLY OUTDATED , I MEAN MS DOS ? FUCKING SERIOUSLY? ITS 2011 , THEIR COMPUTER SYSTEMS ARE FROM 1986. THE WAY THE AISLES AND PRODUCTS ARE SET UP IS PRETTY STPID , I KNOW BECAUSE I STOCKED THEM. AND THE BIGGEST THING THAT GRINDS MY GEARS IS THAT I HAVE GOTTEN NEXT TO NO OFFICIAL TRAINING FOR MY POSITION , I GOT TRAINED OK ON CASH REGISTERS ( WHICH IS NOT MY POSITION) BUT FOR MY ACTUAL EVERYDAY JOB THEY PRETTY MUCH JUST THREW ME OUT THERE AND SAID THERE YOU GO WHICH BOTHERS ME BECAUSE I WANT TO DO MY JOB WELL, AND CANT DO THAT WITHOUT ASKING CO WORKERS AND SUPERVISORS A BILLION FUCKING QUESTIONS WHICH IS ANNOYING TO EVERYONE INCLUDING ME. Thats all for now ... im sure there will be more though
  10.  permalink
    t0rrent: Obiwan, you realize that some people have to take a job, no matter how shitty so they can try to provide for there family?

Normally, I would agree with you on this point, t0rrent, except that this applicant clearly THINKS that they are going to go straight into a sales position. As we all know, Fry's doesn't work that way. (At least, they don't hand out store manager jobs to their best buddies from high school any more.) Secondly, the "eight dollars per hour" part of the "$8/hour + commission" will evaporate the instant they become a salesperson, as more than one of my friends has found to their sorrow.
  11.  permalink
    Guest: (snipped for brevity) A FEW PEOPLE IN MANAGEMENT ARE FUCKING RETARDS , and a few of them are regular nice people.

Yes. Part of the problem I personally have with the Fry's system is that it rewards people who obey orders and shift blame for failure onto anyone else but themselves. It would be possible for Fry's to adjust the system so that people who actually know what they are doing can get promoted... but since Fry's only values sales and not "soft" skills (like keeping quality employees employed and reining in the ass-kissers and quote-snatchers), the current system is likely to remain in place for as long as Fry's stands.  

Guest:THE POINT OF SALE SYSTEM IS RIDICULOUSLY OUTDATED , I MEAN MS DOS ? FUCKING SERIOUSLY? ITS 2011 , THEIR COMPUTER SYSTEMS ARE FROM 1986.

As the puffery in the handbook says, Fry's computer system was hand-coded by one of the brothers, and remains his responsibility to this day. From a systems-security perspective, this makes sense: if a cyber-criminal can't figure out how to make the system work, then the system is safe from that cyber-criminal's attacks, right? (Denial-of-service and other brute-force attacks excepted, of course.) However, it also means that the company feels the bare minimum pressure to change or "upgrade" their systems, because it does exactly what they want, and nothing that they don't want. And if the software is obsolete, so what? So is the hardware. The system is balanced, the executives don't have to sign off on expensive plans to update anything, and all is well... from the top, at least.  

Guest:THE WAY THE AISLES AND PRODUCTS ARE SET UP IS PRETTY STPID , I KNOW BECAUSE I STOCKED THEM.

The aisles are arranged and re-arranged by a cracked-up gang (excuse me, I meant "crackerjack team of experts"... no, I was right the first time) in the Home Office who get to assign every square inch of pegboard and shelf space according to "the perfect schematic", which is then distributed to every store. New products go in, outdated products go out, and everyone is happy... in the "perfect world". However, those people who design the schematics apparently have orders to ignore such inconveniences as "customers' fingers are thicker than playing cards" and "different products with similar packages WILL get mixed up", among others. On the next level, products' locations within departments get shuffled around every so often: "Weren't the mp3 players over here a while back?" "Yes, Mr. Customer, but they've been moved several aisles over this way about a year or so ago."  

Guest:AND THE BIGGEST THING THAT GRINDS MY GEARS IS THAT I HAVE GOTTEN NEXT TO NO OFFICIAL TRAINING FOR MY POSITION

From the executives' standpoint, they have dozens if not hundreds of other people waiting in line to take the job you've just gotten. Their logic is that if you can't figure it out with the materials and training they gave you in orientation, which was supposed to cover everything that you couldn't possibly know already when you walked in the door (how to do basic math, how to alphabetize, etc.), then get out of the way and let someone who CAN do the job have a chance. The problem is that their viewpoint works just well enough for them to justify keeping it: when there are fifty people fighting to get a single available job, then they have no problem cycling through forty-nine people who can't handle the job until they get to the one who can. Because there will be fifty more people lining up to take the job the next day.  

Guest:I GOT TRAINED OK ON CASH REGISTERS ( WHICH IS NOT MY POSITION) BUT FOR MY ACTUAL EVERYDAY JOB THEY PRETTY MUCH JUST THREW ME OUT THERE AND SAID THERE YOU GO WHICH BOTHERS ME BECAUSE I WANT TO DO MY JOB WELL, AND CANT DO THAT WITHOUT ASKING CO WORKERS AND SUPERVISORS A BILLION FUCKING QUESTIONS WHICH IS ANNOYING TO EVERYONE INCLUDING ME.

Unless your badge actually reads "Customer Service Associate", and your "actual everyday job" is NOT "[Department] Associate", then your position is, in the unvoiced but very real opinion of Frys', "whatever we damned well tell you it is that doesn't require official licensing and documented training." As far as training goes, the executives believe that you should get all the "training" you need from your fellow workers. Which would be fine, if we all had the same base knowledge and we all had the same availability to help you learn it. I wish that there was an easier way to put it, but all you can do is ask your questions until you run out of questions, pray to whatever you hold holy that the answers do not change without warning, and get a better job as soon as you can.