Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorintegral
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011
    is it true they'll find a way to fire you if you can't work on black friday? is it also true that they make you work from 4am-close?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    What are your predictions for 2010's Black Friday sale at Fry's Electronics?
    Fry's Electronic's Official 2010 Black Friday Ad
    Recap of Black Friday 2010.
    Black Friday Payday
    BLACK FRIDAY the 13th part 2 is here!!!
  2.  permalink
    Yes and Yes
    •  
      CommentAuthorintegral
    • CommentTimeOct 7th 2011 edited
    dang. so I shouldn't keep my seasonal job that starts on black friday and ends on christmas eve. im planning to keep this job at frys.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeOct 8th 2011
    Depends on the store for hours. When I left 3 years ago, that year and the previous year they were concerned about double time so no one had more then a ten hour shift. I was on workman's comp for my last black friday, but the year before I worked 3pm to 11pm and spent most of the day out of the store doing wireless installs so I didn't have to deal with the BS.
    •  
      CommentAuthoryeahyeah
    • CommentTimeOct 10th 2011
    just dont show up and tell your manager that you were there and you forgot to punch in because it was so crazy...lol he/she will be to busy dealing with assholes all day long wanting a 99$ 40" 3D LED anyway.
    •  
      CommentAuthorKFCizzle
    • CommentTimeOct 11th 2011
    EVEN IF THEY DID WORK US 4AM - CLOSE THAT WOULD BE SOME AMAZING HOURS, AND QUITE FRANKLY EVERYBODY NEEDS MORE OF THOSE AT FRYS:face-plain:
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeOct 12th 2011
    You say that now but it's hell. My first black friday was something crazy like 4am to midnight with 2 30 minute lunches and one 3 hour lunch. That 3 hour lunch I think I passed out in a booth at denny's for 45 minutes. And a bunch of us had to be back at 7am the next day. I will never do that shit again, if i'm going to be in a store early for black friday, it's so i can buy shit and laugh at the people fighting over a $100 laptop.
  3.  permalink
    Black Friday as of this moment is to start at 5 AM until closing which I assume is until 10.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchy Fry
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011 edited
    I wonder how many Ad items will be paying commission?
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeOct 20th 2011
    @ Darth, so yea if the store opens at 5, people, especially the in store tech and managers and opening crew will be in around 4am.  

@ French Fry, some of your smaller items like jump drives may pay a buck or two. When I was in telesales when I first got hired, me and another telesales person took shifts hanging out in that aisle using generic quotes for those drives and we each made about 75 bucks from flash drive sales alone for about the 3 hrs it took to sell out. We didn't have the highest commisions for the day, but we had the lowest amount of returns and came out ahead of all but maybe 1-2 salesmen who busted ass trying to upgrade people on desktops/laptops.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDarth Vader
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2011 edited
    @Torrent>>  

Unless your scheduled to come in at 4:30. Then its 4:30 till close. Or shall I be more specific? 5 AM STORE WISE till close. Associates come in at 4:00 OR 4:30 till close.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeOct 25th 2011
    Darth, I worked several black fridays and unless they decided they want to pay OT and double time, you won't work a 16hr shift. At least that's what 21 did the last few years. The most you may work is 11.5 hours to keep you from hitting double time, which means if you come in at 4:30am, you'll be out by 3:30pm. I don't know why your having such a difficult time wrapping your head around that some, if not all the stores want to pay double time, especially with the fact most of the stores barely break even on sales anyways due to all the crazy door buster leads that are run. The 07-09 BF's at 21, only cafe and service were in the black.
  4.  permalink
    I did six black fridays during my tenure at Frys. Honestly they weren't so bad. The store is so goddamn busy that time flies. Just make sure to keep up on the coffee/soda to stay awake and alert. This past BF I think I only worked around 14 or so hours, the longest was 4am-11:30pm (2007) and I think I only took two meal breaks (back then it was a-ok to work 8 hours nonstop).  

The easiest way to get out of black friday is as so: go to the doctor. Wake up around 5am, head to your local urgent care and complain of severe stomach cramps and vomitting. Also report that several of your family members have similar symptoms. The cause? BAD FOOD AT THANKSGIVING. Ha! Get yourself a note excusing you from work and carry on with your day. In California you can't be punished for seeing a doctor for an illness. It'll cost you $25-50 depending on your insurance, but at least you won't have to work for 18 hours.  

Also: if a manager tells you that you can't leave on your lunch break, laugh in faces and walk out the door. They can't keep you in unless Frys is paying for your meal break (which they aren't).
    •  
      CommentAuthorintegral
    • CommentTimeOct 28th 2011
    for black friday, do we get paid holiday hours? and how much do we get paid if its holiday hours?
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeOct 29th 2011
    You don't get holiday pay at fry's. You get 4 paid holidays that if you don't use, you lose per year. So it's just normal time and any OT as specified by labor laws if they schedule you that many hours.
  5.  permalink
    According to California labor laws...  
    http://blog.laborlawcenter.com/2006/08/18/california-holiday-pay-law/  
    ..."Holiday pay" is purely at the employer's discretion. If they don't want to pay you extra for working on the recognized legal holidays (such as Thanksgiving, Christmas, New Year's Day, etc.) then there's nothing requiring them to do so.  

And since Fry's policy seems to be that they will never part with a single penny that the law (or the seller) does not force them to pay, then you can expect the company to go under before they will authorize such a thing.  

For any store that has those laminated cheat-sheets from barcharts.com, has any associate ever seen the one for "Employment Law" being sold inside Fry's? They're those laminated two- or three-sheet guides to Dog Care, Unix programming and French grammar, etc. And I suppose that it would be a long, long time before Fry's would ever allow them to be displayed there...:face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorjenseri
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2012 edited
    I like working at frys. My goal is to be the right hand of randy frys.