Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    They are cutting commissions left and right, supervisor pay has been cut, and the store looks (and feels) like it's going to hell. There are no accessory sales anymore, and salesmen don't really want to do go-backs or TSR, because they aren't paid to. Since Fry's is private, we have no way to know any real numbers, but how much longer can this sinking ship stay afloat?  

I give it about 1-5 more years.
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    Someone wanna guess how much longer till they remove Commission?
    How much $ in merchandise does an average Fry's house?
    How much does fry's pay?
    How much does a Sale's associates get paid?
    How to sell Fry's cards...haven't sold a single one yet
    •  
      CommentAuthorEffFrys
    • CommentTimeNov 9th 2011
    if THAT long...
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchFrys
    I think lots of people like to audition the look and feel of appliances at a big box store. Frys does have deals that beat out Amazon and other e-tailers at times, but they compensate for this by pushing their salespeople to add high margin attachments. Ofcourse Frys has lots of overhead when you compare it to places like Amazon. In the last couple of years the masses are getting smarter and smarter about their purchases. If most can get free shipping along with no sales tax with e-tailers such as Amazon, how is a this Brick-n-mortar store suppose to compete???  

I go into Frys to audition lots of things such as TV's and stereos and buy them online cheaper, sales tax free and in most cases free delivery.  

As a consumer, its nice to have a brick-n-mortar store to look at stuff. I really miss all those other guys that went out of business; TheGoodGuys!, CompUSA and Circuit City, heck.. even Borders Books.  

It's a sign of the times... I kinda hope some brick-n-mortar stores survive but it seems that e-tailers are taking over.. what a strange future it would be if that was the only availability.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchFrys
    Oh yeah, another thing is that extended warranty companies are coming out of the woodwork. You could actually buy an appliance from Frys and add an extended warranty from Square Trade up to 90 days later. If the extended warranty industry re-adjusts with competition, Frys is going to lose lots of margin on it's bread bringer.
  3.  permalink
    If you really want to know the numbers go to the closing CSS at the end of the night and ask what your store made.

YOu will be shocked at how low it is.
  4.  permalink
    FrenchFrys:I go into Frys to audition lots of things such as TV's and stereos and buy them online cheaper, sales tax free and in most cases free delivery.  

As a consumer, its nice to have a brick-n-mortar store to look at stuff. I really miss all those other guys that went out of business; TheGoodGuys!, CompUSA and Circuit City, heck.. even Borders Books.  

It's a sign of the times... I kinda hope some brick-n-mortar stores survive but it seems that e-tailers are taking over.. what a strange future it would be if that was the only availability.

If you insist on doing that, at least don't waste some poor salesman's time asking 50 million questions and then not buy anything.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchFrys
    • CommentTimeNov 10th 2011
    Yeah, I was one of those salespeople..  

Didn't liked to be stroked by lookie loos. It seems mornings are the best times to go when most of them doing their schematic.
  5.  permalink
    FrenchFrys: I think lots of people like to audition the look and feel of appliances at a big box store. Frys does have deals that beat out Amazon and other e-tailers at times, but they compensate for this by pushing their salespeople to add high margin attachments. Ofcourse Frys has lots of overhead when you compare it to places like Amazon. In the last couple of years the masses are getting smarter and smarter about their purchases. If most can get free shipping along with no sales tax with e-tailers such as Amazon, how is a this Brick-n-mortar store suppose to compete???

Simple: customer service. All of the e-tailers can put together the spiffiest web-presences money can buy, but customers are still (for the most part) humans, and we'll pass up a significant monetary savings in exchange for dealing with a real human, face to face. The Four Who Run Fry's will refuse to acknowledge this truth until they are on the verge of bankruptcy AND someone that they cannot ignore tells them that they need to start treating customers with respect.  

FrenchFrys:I go into Frys to audition lots of things such as TV's and stereos and buy them online cheaper, sales tax free and in most cases free delivery.

Sorry, when you say "audition lots of things", do you mean "compare the prices of lots of things"?  

FrenchFrys:As a consumer, its nice to have a brick-n-mortar store to look at stuff. I really miss all those other guys that went out of business; TheGoodGuys!, CompUSA and Circuit City, heck.. even Borders Books.

Well, as the 1% stated in so many words in their counter-declaration to the Occupy Wall Street movement: "We eat what we kill". A more accurate phrase might have been "We eat the weak", because any business that continues to make bad mistakes and refuses to change course will go under, and therefore constitutes "weakness" in a business sense.  

Note that "weakness" does not and never will equate to "compassionate". It does, however, equate with "unbridled greed", as all of those unmitigated jerks who fell for Madoff's lies found out.  

FrenchFrys:It's a sign of the times... I kinda hope some brick-n-mortar stores survive but it seems that e-tailers are taking over.. what a strange future it would be if that was the only availability.

Unless and until humanity stops existing on the physical plane, there will still be brick'n'mortar stores of some sort. Even if the store has only demonstration models on the sales floor and the products in question are literally assembled to order in the back (to be sold on the spot or delivered to the customer later), human consumers like to see and touch what they expect to purchase.