Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorides
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011 edited
    Already have my A+ cert, ready for what they can throw at me, any1 know how much they make there?  

Edit: Also any tips?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Applied as a PC Tech, had a great interview but I feel overshadowed by this "overqualified" person
    Is it that bad working as a Computer Service Tech in Fry's?
    Service Technician Jobs @ Fry's
    Computer Service Dept. taking forever. What should I do?
    How much do service technicians make?
  2.  permalink
    Yeah. Go somwhere else. The San Diego Frys is a death trap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 2815
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011
    So i hear, im trying for other jobs in the same field, but people arent hiring for shit, any suggestions?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeDec 4th 2011
    Guest: So i hear, im trying for other jobs in the same field, but people arent hiring for shit, any suggestions?

Keep looking. Use sites such as Dice.com, computerjobs.com, computerwork.com, and justwindowsjobs.com
    •  
      CommentAuthoryeahyeah
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011
    If you get hired and you for some reason really want to work there I suggest you start drinking and taking a drug like Xanax just to get by. And they don't make that much at all considering what you have to deal with.
    •  
      CommentAuthorides
    • CommentTimeDec 5th 2011
    All i want is a simple computer service job, i need the experience and i know that Frys sucks.  
    Still looking for other jobs, but there really are not many
  3.  permalink
    @yeahyeah

couldn't have said it better.
  4.  permalink
    make a hirens 11.1 restored edition usb. when you get there, burn two copies of all windows oem disks. have commonly used drivers at the ready such as nvidia and ati. have windows service packs (32 and 64 bit0 at the ready. make windows restores ($60) into windows installs ($100). windows installs will be your bread and butter. if you can't prediagnose just sell the diagnostic, dont be afraid to tell them that the problem could be multiple issues but be confident, be knowledgeable but above all be polite. and prepare for some stressful days but overall you will survive
  5.  permalink
    I don't feel like starting a new thread because I don't want to apply.

I worked at store 15 from September to early December 2011. Started as a Merchandiser and endend as Sales Associate. I wanted to go to service from the start but I was told that they are full. I already have my A+ Certification for over a year and mostly done freelance work via family, friends, neighbors, and fellow church parishsioners.

I was dead on pissed when another Merchandiser slided into service because that person was there longer but had no A+ cert. Last I heard that person was still there 5 months with still no cert. I know the rule was that you either had to get your A+ or take the Fry's Technician test within 3 months. So what gives?

Luckily I moved on and got an IT internship with a firm up the road on Balboa Ave (which looks like they may hire me in the summer) and I just recently got hired to work part-time at a computer repair store in East County. I'm not sure if I would have lasted very long since it was stated before that it was majority customer talk and less actual repair or I would have performed good.
  6.  permalink
    Service sucked donkey balls at Fry's. You were handed a golden ticket.  

Full disclosure, I worked in service for over 3 years.
  7.  permalink
    checking in. Quit Service on my 5 year anniversary of Fry's.
  8.  permalink
    @frysemployee - What do you mean golden ticket? You mean the internship? It's non-paid but at least they're looking to see if I"m worth hiring. I'm going to see them on Monday. As for the computer repair store, it's brand new and they are opening up next week so I don't know how long they'll be in business. I'm trying to see which one is good in the long term.

@Guest 54359 - Did you also work in store 15? Why did you leave?
  9.  permalink
    Just the fact that you transitioned out of Fry's is a step up in your life.
  10.  permalink
    Everyone says that (I know this forum is full of ex-butthurt employees). I really wanted to work in Service because the moment you are in the department, it's pretty much instant job security. What kills me is the group-based commision, so does that mean as long as you are present and clocked in and a job is completed by someone else, you pretty much get a share of the profit?

The one time I had to do cashiering as a Merchandiser, I had a quote that rung up $50 to install memory. 50 fucking dollars to install memory? I would go to your house and do it for free, just cover my gas.

Luckily me and the owner of the computer repair store are setting our prices way cheaper than Fry's. No one should pay 50 dollars to have memory installed and 60 bucks to have it even looked.
  11.  permalink
    Also, why doesn't Fry's look into their Service Department to fix cell phones? When I was there, 3 people came up to me and asked if they fixed cell phones without going straight to the Service desk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 16th 2012
    Would you REALLY trust Fry's with your cellphone?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    I could just imagine a Fry's Employee with a Customer's Cell Phone...
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2012
    As a former service tech at fry's, there is no way in hell i'd want to mess with a cell phone. Bad enough when they made us start swapping out laptop lcd's and motherboards with zero training.
  12.  permalink
    "Bad enough when they made us start swapping out laptop lcd's and motherboards with zero training."

What the hell? I thought you would know that by the time you got the job. I've replaced laptop LCDs and they are not that difficult but I'll agree on the motherboards, they are a pain in the ass. The reason I asked about the cellphone repair is because it would be a good addition to the Service Department.

I haven't heard any stories of people getting fired in Service, it's generally people quitting to look for a better job.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeApr 18th 2012
    Guest: "Bad enough when they made us start swapping out laptop lcd's and motherboards with zero training."  

What the hell? I thought you would know that by the time you got the job. I've replaced laptop LCDs and they are not that difficult but I'll agree on the motherboards, they are a pain in the ass. The reason I asked about the cellphone repair is because it would be a good addition to the Service Department.  

I haven't heard any stories of people getting fired in Service, it's generally people quitting to look for a better job.

This was several years ago. When I first started at service anything laptop related that wasn't a hard drive replacement, was to be sent to home office for repair as we had no way to order parts in. Around 2008 Fry's found a parts vendor to partner with and all of a sudden we were doing lcd repairs, mother board swaps, etc. One of our supervisors didn't even have a+ and we had to ban her from laptop repairs after she tore the ribbon to connect the keyboard to the motherboard. It was a huge clusterfuck as we were required to hold the laptop till parts were available, and if the vendor was out of stock, we were sol. We had one laptop held for 7 weeks as home office wouldn't do the repair and our vendor was out of stock on the hp motherboard.
  13.  permalink
    But isn't that common practice to hold one's computer until the parts arrived. Besides pay and high levels stress, I was wondering if quitting as a Sales Rep was the better option instead of begging to the Service Department Supervisor to be transferred over? Like I said before, I always believed the moment you made it to Service you had job security.
  14.  permalink
    Out of all the positions in Fry's, Service has the lowest turnover since it offers the best job security? Right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012
    Fry's and job security don't be long in the same sentence, let alone the same hemisphere.  

You don't want to work for Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012 edited
    I worked in service for about a year. The thing that used to drive me nuts more than anything was just the inefficiency of the company overall. Then the company started making people get their apple tech certification so I got it (wasn't hard, just had to memorize the answers they gave us to study, and take the test). Then once I got it I was like, "why am I working here for 16/hour when I can work for Apple now that I'm certified at 22/hour? Applied at Apple, was told they were very interested and they wanted me to come in for a second interview, but I then got offered another job later the same week working for a process-improvement company which paid almost 10 bucks more an hour, and that's where I am now. The process-improvement company essentially taught me how to program from scratch (I had never programmed anything in my life up until then, but I always wanted to learn and it was a free education). I complain sometimes about the hours and the fact that I haven't had a single vacation in over a year, but overall, it's a cool job. The best part is that I work from home. :face-devil-grin:  

... commute? what's a commute? :face-angel:  

Moral of the story though... is never just settle and assume this is the best job you can get. Having a job means you have money to put gas in your car so you can drive around on weekends to find even better paying jobs. For some reason, most people never seem to get that. Side note, statistically you're 11 times more likely to get hired if you already have a job, then if you're unemployed.  

About service having a low turnover because it's "job security", the reason why service has a low turn over (at least at my store) was because we were all so tight. It's group commission, group this, group that, group everything, so there's an incentive to get you up to speed, show you all the tricks and how to do the job properly so YOU can start making US money, and we're not just carrying you like a baby. For most other departments, it's individual commission, so you're just competition in the eyes of the seasoned people who know the most about the job (so there's no incentive to help noobs get adjusted and knowledgeable about what they're doing right and doing wrong). That often leaves associates feeling like it's not only "them against the customer" but also "them against their department". Service on the other hand tends to be pretty solidly "us against the customer"... er, I mean, us FOR the customer, but we had no need to be against each other (unless you were literally HORRIBLE at your job and were costing us commissions due to your endless fuck-ups) so I think that was also part of the lack of turnover. It's funny but the ONLY thing I miss about Fry's is the people I worked with in service. Every day in service is war, that's absolutely true, but everyone is usually in the same foxhole, throwing grenades from the same box.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012 edited
    i recommend going to school to be a professional and don't accept a job under $35/hr. IT pays really good. There is no reason to fix damaged computers when there is way more business software inefficiencies. Fixing software inefficiency in an business or organization pays way more.
  15.  permalink
    For anyone else, you also got to put into mind is that the computer repair service trade is going to die out soon since people are getting knowledgable on how to fix their own problem and that the computer companies are developing technology that are lasting longer then before.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeApr 23rd 2012 edited
    Guest: For anyone else, you also got to put into mind is that the computer repair service trade is going to die out soon since people are getting knowledgable on how to fix their own problem and that the computer companies are developing technology that are lasting longer then before.

There's actually a formula on this that I saw ages ago. Essentially, as the cost of a computer increases, the likelihood that a customer will take it in for service as opposed to just buying a new computer will increase exponentially.  

The reason why Apple pays more for example is simply because the computers cost more and there's fewer apple certified techs than A+ techs (primarily because you have to put more effort in to renewing your Apple certification every year, where as an A+ certification lasts forever). On the other hand, the cost of PC's - laptops, netbooks, and desktops - keeps going down. There will always be a need for "fix it dudes" in civilization so long as there are machines, but the more affordable the machines become, the less the guys who fix the machines get paid.
  16.  permalink
    Actually A+ is now good for 3 years. I got mines in 2010, the last year it was good for life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012
    Guest: Actually A+ is now good for 3 years. I got mines in 2010, the last year it was good for life.

Oh interesting, that's good to know. It actually does make more sense doing it that way from an employer standpoint (even though it's a hassle to have to restudy and take the test and everything again). I got mine in 2002 and the questions were completely related to hardware and software problems that largely don't exist anymore. If you got your cert then and hadn't done anything with computers for years and then applied at a repair shop, the appearance on the surface of what you know could be pretty deceiving.
  17.  permalink
    I like how the Fry's job board always says "We're hiring Sales Associates and Technicians" when they are not looking for any Techs at all. The day I passed my A+ cert I drove down to Fry's and applied since it was on my way home. Wrote Service Technician in position applying for, never got the call. It was then I decided to write in "Any" is when they decided to call me.
  18.  permalink
    I was in North County earlier and decided to drop by the Fry's over in San Marcos. All I can say it's pretty nice and organized compared down in Store 15. The Service Department was nice, clean, and organized but it was completely dead. I didn't see that much computers on their shelves. I was surprised they even had a little area for TV service. Were as in San Diego, the area is a jungle (cables and hardware everywhere) but very busy and it sucks that all the TV repairs had to be done at the back and you don't get to see what they do with it.
  19.  permalink
    I found this thread via google and I want to know if there are any current pros and cons in working at service, especially at store 15? How are the current people like (If you still know any of the people in there)?

I just got called for an interview and I want to get into service but I have a feeling I'll have to earn it via cleaning bathrooms and crap.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhellokitty
    • CommentTimeSep 11th 2012
    I'd just like to let Guest 41936 know that everyone at Store 15 that is on this site knows who he is ROMEO. We've had to call LP on him several times for creeping out employees after he left. He's sour because regardless of his stupid certification he was NOT qualified for the job. He thought he knew everything there is to know about computers. HAHAHA good luck with your "internship". It's funny that he claimed to be doing some internship yet he was always in the store after he got fired creeping everyone out. Cool story bro. Whatever helps you sleep at night
    •  
      CommentAuthorhellokitty
    Guest: I found this thread via google and I want to know if there are any current pros and cons in working at service, especially at store 15? How are the current people like (If you still know any of the people in there)?  

I just got called for an interview and I want to get into service but I have a feeling I'll have to earn it via cleaning bathrooms and crap.

Currently no open tech positions. They only consider people who currently work at Fry's and the supervisor is picky about who he hires. Best bet is to get hired by fry's in any department and hopefully they'll test you. If you have what it takes then they'll remember you for when there is an opening...which doesn't happen that often.
  20.  permalink
    Sup "J", I see you're in good spirits these days. I'm curious, how did you find this site? First off, I didn't get fired, I left because I knew my time was up so why the fuck would I try continuing and get officially fired? Second I did my internship for a few months and then I was fortunate to land a contracting job on the Naval Base which is way better than at Fry's. I hear you like your service job yet it still drives you nuts?
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    hellokitty: I'd just like to let Guest 41936 know that everyone at Store 15 that is on this site knows who he is ROMEO. We've had to call LP on him several times for creeping out employees after he left. He's sour because regardless of his stupid certification he was NOT qualified for the job. He thought he knew everything there is to know about computers. HAHAHA good luck with your "internship". It's funny that he claimed to be doing some internship yet he was always in the store after he got fired creeping everyone out. Cool story bro. Whatever helps you sleep at night

wait, is you the slutty female in service?  

you can not call someone out when you got youre own drama, girlie.  

you just askin for your drama to be spawled on line.  
    smh...Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorhellokitty
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2012
    HAHAHAHAHA I would LOOOOVE to hear whatever bullshit you have to say. I've heard it all already haha!