Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    Now i know from what i have read that you guy don't like frys at all,and that some of you worked for them,and that a lot of the problems with frys are with the ones in california,i live in north texas,and i did live in houston for a while and shopped at the frys there and never had any problems,i am getting ready to build my first pc,i've had pc before but most were prebuilt(mostly HP's)and i am currently using a USED custom built,and i'm going to upgrade in FEB,now the nearest frys is 55 miles away from me,about 20$ bucks in gas for a round trip,i have been using newegg for getting replacement for repairing my pc's,but when i get to the point that i'm going to build i really don't like waiting 3 days just to get my sutff,plus if some gets here broken it is a lot of time to get them to replace the part,so i would rathe go an pick up the parts somewhere in person,and the only other place near me is a best buy,and it does not even carry half the parts i want for my pc. sorry for rambling on,but my main question is do you guy think that if i went there and bought all the parts,that mabye they would let me put it together there to make sure everything works?cause i don't want to get home,and have to drive another 110 miles just to exchange the parts.
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    So what questions annoy you the most about the customer?
    question about LP
    A few questions about store returns
    Question about interview dress code?
    Questions about Fry's PSC
  3.  permalink
    I work at frys in oregon... Best way to do it look at some parts and pick out what you are looking for ... if u don't want to build it have the service guys do it, quick and easy. Get the PSC you think its alot of money but for 3 long years and its a instant replacement!!! Call first to check on cpu and mb and ask for the store not the call center ...
  4.  permalink
    Guest: I work at frys in oregon... Best way to do it look at some parts and pick out what you are looking for ... if u don't want to build it have the service guys do it, quick and easy. Get the PSC you think its alot of money but for 3 long years and its a instant replacement!!! Call first to check on cpu and mb and ask for the store not the call center ...

So call ahead to make sure they have it,also i want it build it,but i don't want to take it home put it together and find it does not work,and have to drive 110miles(round trip)just to get it fixed(cause then it will end up costing just as much in gas as i would spend in shipping it)
  5.  permalink
    Most Fry's have what's called the "red carpet" area next to the service dept for customer use. If you ask them they'll let you use that space to do a quick build/post the parts. At least that's how it went at the store I used to work at.
  6.  permalink
    Guest: Most Fry's have what's called the "red carpet" area next to the service dept for customer use. If you ask them they'll let you use that space to do a quick build/post the parts. At least that's how it went at the store I used to work at.

Ok thank you so much for the help.
  7.  permalink
    Yeah, people did that at our store all the time, we even let them borrow our screw drivers but bring your own tools if you can and make sure to get a yellow tag at the front saying you brought that shit in. It was annoying if they kept asking us questions but we helped either way. I don't really think you should get the PSC on anything from components like the other guy said. I never saw that to be a good deal.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2011
    Feb might not be quite the time to build your own PC. If you can wait until June or July, you will get better prices and choice of tech. Right now, hard drives are outrageously high due to flooding in Thailand (where most are built). Both AMD and Intel will have new chipsets out by or before early summer. Whether you plan on spending a lot of money....or not...the above factors will come into play. Slightly older tech will drop drastically when the new chips come out, and hard drive prices should be back inline by early summer.  
    Whether you buy from them or not, I would suggest you go to NewEgg.com to browse what is available, read reviews, and simply "plan ahead". Walking into a store not knowing EXACTLY what you want, and depending on sales people who may or may not know what they are talking about is a big no-no.
  8.  permalink
    skullywag: Feb might not be quite the time to build your own PC. If you can wait until June or July, you will get better prices and choice of tech. Right now, hard drives are outrageously high due to flooding in Thailand (where most are built). Both AMD and Intel will have new chipsets out by or before early summer. Whether you plan on spending a lot of money....or not...the above factors will come into play. Slightly older tech will drop drastically when the new chips come out, and hard drive prices should be back inline by early summer.  
    Whether you buy from them or not, I would suggest you go to NewEgg.com to browse what is available, read reviews, and simply "plan ahead". Walking into a store not knowing EXACTLY what you want, and depending on sales people who may or may not know what they are talking about is a big no-no.

Well i plan on doing it in FEB cause that is when i get income tax,also i know exactly what i want,i have already planed ahead(using newegg.com)and the cpu want should come out Q1 2012,but idk if i can wait till summer,and idk if my current pc will last that,cause all the parts in it(other than my GPU,and my Hard drive) are from 2008.  
    Also i will not be buying a new hard drive,cause i will be reusing the hard drive i have in my current pc(a seagate 1.5TB 7200rpm drive),but i am thinking about getting an SSD.
  9.  permalink
    trainergames: Now i know from what i have read that you guy don't like frys at all,and that some of you worked for them,and that a lot of the problems with frys are with the ones in california,i live in north texas,and i did live in houston for a while and shopped at the frys there and never had any problems,i am getting ready to build my first pc,i've had pc before but most were prebuilt(mostly HP's)and i am currently using a USED custom built,and i'm going to upgrade in FEB,now the nearest frys is 55 miles away from me,about 20$ bucks in gas for a round trip,i have been using newegg for getting replacement for repairing my pc's,but when i get to the point that i'm going to build i really don't like waiting 3 days just to get my sutff,plus if some gets here broken it is a lot of time to get them to replace the part,so i would rathe go an pick up the parts somewhere in person,and the only other place near me is a best buy,and it does not even carry half the parts i want for my pc. sorry for rambling on,but my main question is do you guy think that if i went there and bought all the parts,that mabye they would let me put it together there to make sure everything works?cause i don't want to get home,and have to drive another 110 miles just to exchange the parts.

Pick up a new keyboard while you're at it, one that does paragraphs, periods and spaces properly. Yours seems to be broken.http://www.frysblackfriday.com
  10.  permalink
    BorderPatrol:
    trainergames: Now i know from what i have read that you guy don't like frys at all,and that some of you worked for them,and that a lot of the problems with frys are with the ones in california,i live in north texas,and i did live in houston for a while and shopped at the frys there and never had any problems,i am getting ready to build my first pc,i've had pc before but most were prebuilt(mostly HP's)and i am currently using a USED custom built,and i'm going to upgrade in FEB,now the nearest frys is 55 miles away from me,about 20$ bucks in gas for a round trip,i have been using newegg for getting replacement for repairing my pc's,but when i get to the point that i'm going to build i really don't like waiting 3 days just to get my sutff,plus if some gets here broken it is a lot of time to get them to replace the part,so i would rathe go an pick up the parts somewhere in person,and the only other place near me is a best buy,and it does not even carry half the parts i want for my pc. sorry for rambling on,but my main question is do you guy think that if i went there and bought all the parts,that mabye they would let me put it together there to make sure everything works?cause i don't want to get home,and have to drive another 110 miles just to exchange the parts.

Pick up a new keyboard while you're at it, one that does paragraphs, periods and spaces properly. Yours seems to be broken.

I'm sorry you had to endure that,but i have never been good at writing. I have a ged,and i passed writing but it was my lowest score. This is me trying to type correctly,but it takes me a lot longer to do so. What i typed above is how i am when i'm trying to type fast.
  11.  permalink
    the psc is worth it.

Nothing lasts for ever and in 3 years I'm sure things are going to go bad... within the 2 year I have been working in Oregon, I have had a couple of people with bad motherboards. The rma process isn't alot of fun and most of the time u get a refurbed one from manufactures.

69.99 is what .06 a day?
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2011
    Guest: the psc is worth it.  

Nothing lasts for ever and in 3 years I'm sure things are going to go bad...

Maybe if you buy an eMachine. Computers I built in 95 are still working. The whole point to building your own is to use better quality parts that will last longer and be easier to upgrade. If you're going to by cheap parts on a home build....yer better off buying an eMachine or HP.....at least it will be cheaper. Buy GOOD quality name brand parts and your machine will last long after technology has outdated it.
  12.  permalink
    true to skully, still have a 775 that has lasted 5 years

Alot of the time with the PSC it is a what if ....

I'm not just saying this but after hearing people horror stories with computer... I'm not happy unless they get.... not just saying that because it pays

We had some one who bought a 775 + dual core with ddr3 asus random I know... well power supply when bad took out the board and pro... well we got him a new i3 1155 and a the asus p67 normal 149.99

it was a pretty nice upgrade
    •  
      CommentAuthoryeahyeah
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2011
    Call ahead and make them put it in will call and then wait 30 min and call customer service and make sure it's up there. Frys is awful at "holding" items for customers. Other then that everything else should should go smoothly.