Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    We just got a giant banner announcing the fact in 3 foot high red letters on one side of our store, in addition to large signs saying WE MATCH INTERNET PRICES hanging above all the DSC podiums. So now we have price match fliers, the banner, and the DSC podium signs, but why? Internet price matching kills GP and commission. If _____ is cheaper on Newegg than let them buy it from Newegg. Internet price matching simply wastes everyone's (customer, salesman, and supervisor) time for no profit. Supposedly, we would "lose" customers if we didn't match internet prices, but Fry's sells items customers can get immediately, and in store customer service which online retailers will never be able to match, ever.  

If we do internet price matching, we should do it with the fastest possible shipping method included in the internet price which I imagine would cancel out any "savings" on the internet price. Matching an item that the customer gets *immediately* with the online price including the cheapest, slowest, shipping is retarded.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeDec 31st 2011
    I agree with you 100%.  
    I think Frys should print and hang new banners that say "It's less hassle, and cheaper to just buy what you want from NewEgg". After hanging the banners, each Frys store would spontainiously combust due to the overwhelming influx of honesty.:face-devil-grin:
  2.  permalink
    skullywag: I agree with you 100%.  
    I think Frys should print and hang new banners that say "It's less hassle, and cheaper to just buy what you want from NewEgg". After hanging the banners, each Frys store would spontainiously combust due to the overwhelming influx of honesty.:face-devil-grin:

There is, and always will be, a certain segment of the population that needs what they are buying *today* in addition to the people who want to touch and feel the product, and those who just want to deal with a real person when buying stuff.  

Fry's (or any other brick and mortar store) will never really be able to compete with online retailers in terms of price. An online retailer just needs a warehouse, a website, and some people to fill orders. The overhead is much lower. Compare this to a brick and mortar store which needs a nice building, air conditioning, heating, salary for managers, salesmen, cashiers, loss prevention, etc.  

Fry's should price match Newegg, Tiger Direct, and the rest but with the fastest express shipping included in the price instead of the cheapest economy ground shipping. Fry's management should absolutely tell people to go buy it from Newegg if they want the Newegg price. Also compare the process of returning or exchanging something at Newegg vs. Fry's. Fry's service is not the best, by any means, but if your return is reasonable (you have your receipt, not missing anything, etc) you can make returns or exchanges easily. With Newegg, you have to get an RMA number, ship it out, wait, and then you can do the exchange or return.  

We would "lose" customers, but not the kind Fry's should be focusing on. The kind of people who price match Newegg never buy warranties or any profitable attachments and, again, just generally waste our time. If a sale does not make Fry's a profit, then that sale should not take place in my opinion.  

I understand they're trying to be competitive and worried about losing customers, but I think in a few years they'll realize it's stupid and drop the program, or amend it to include express shipping in the price (which would make Newegg MORE expensive for most items). Then again, Fry's is the most outdated, backwards retailer I know of, so it's probably just wishful thinking.  

This rant, by the way, is not really motivated by me losing money on internet price matching, because it happens rarely, and then it's for stuff like graphics cards that I would have made none or little money from anyway. I just send them to the supervisor and they take care of it. Most of our computers are slightly different models than Newegg or Best Buy so it's uncommon for me to have a computer price matched.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3825
    • CommentTimeFeb 7th 2012
    Personally, I think the reason why HQ is trying to get the customer to Price Match their items is so they can use it as a method to limit how much commission they have to pay out to the associates, thus more money in the HQ's pocket. Then they don't need to hear people bitching and moaning on the lack of commission of said items.