Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    I can't believe they devoted a whole hour to talking about how great price matching is. V-Con is usually a waste of time, but this one was just dreadful.  

I suppose a banner outside the store, a sign at the front, and signs over every DSC podium are insufficient. In addition to a whole host of advertised items, all of which pay $0, we must now *ask* every single customer if they would like to eliminate our commission on the few items which do pay.  

Memo to Randy Fry: price matching will not get you any good customers, and just generally wastes our time (and your money).
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    What do you think of Fry's Employees Dating Each Other?
    Do you think Obama will change the laws to let all employees unionize?
    Is your frys full of weird employees?
    Fry's gives employees their w2 today!
    What do you think caused the downfall of Fry's? List it here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2012 edited
    I am not believing what I am reading... You ask the customer a question, to get them a lower price so you lose your commission?
  3.  permalink
    FrenchyFry: I am not believing what I am reading... You ask the customer a question, to get them a lower price so you lose your commission?

Yes. We are not allowed to do comparison shopping for them, but we are supposed to tell every customer of our low price guarantee.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012
    Chris_Tomkinson: I can't believe they devoted a whole hour to talking about how great price matching is. V-Con is usually a waste of time, but this one was just dreadful.  

I suppose a banner outside the store, a sign at the front, and signs over every DSC podium are insufficient. In addition to a whole host of advertised items, all of which pay $0, we must now *ask* every single customer if they would like to eliminate our commission on the few items which do pay.  

Memo to Randy Fry: price matching will not get you any good customers, and just generally wastes our time (and your money).

Sounds like Bullsh*t to me. Are you sure you haven't elaborated on the story a bit? Do you ACTUALLY have to ask people if they want to ELIMINATE YOUR COMMISSION? (I seriously doubt it) Or have you merely been asked to INFORM THEM THAT CHEAPER OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE? (more plausable scenario)  

And you can memo Randy that HELPING a customer rather than lying to, or wallet-raping them WILL get you good customers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2012
    I may consider doing a price match if they take off the CA sales tax and pay my gas.
  4.  permalink
    skullywag:  
    Sounds like Bullsh*t to me. Are you sure you haven't elaborated on the story a bit? Do you ACTUALLY have to ask people if they want to ELIMINATE YOUR COMMISSION? (I seriously doubt it) Or have you merely been asked to INFORM THEM THAT CHEAPER OPTIONS ARE AVAILABLE? (more plausable scenario)  

And you can memo Randy that HELPING a customer rather than lying to, or wallet-raping them WILL get you good customers.

Actually, we're only allowed to inform them of the low price guarantee. Doing comparison shopping for customers is forbidden. If a customer says they saw it cheaper at Newegg (or wherever), then we look it up and if everything is in order we do the price match. But, say, if I know the item is cheaper on Newegg and the customer doesn't, I'm not actually allowed to tell them.  

As for price matching getting us "good" customers, is someone who wants the cheapest possible price really going to buy an extended warranty which is a third the price of the product?  

Skullywag, all I want is to be fairly compensated for the work I do. You do realize that items on sale, or items which get price matched pay us nothing, right? We are on commission, not hourly. If I were paid hourly, I would not care at all about price matching or ad items. But I'm not paid hourly so I do care. Working at Fry's isn't fun, and I deserve to be paid for it, just like you deserve to make money from whatever it is that you do for a living. If that makes me greedy or a con artist, then so be it.
  5.  permalink
    Wow,

Hearing stuff likes this makes me think that Frys is employing some kind of sociology experiment where they screw with their employees to study their behavior. Things just keep getting more and more outlandish. Up next... Cannibalism
  6.  permalink
    Cannabalism is the next step. Consumer electronics is a cut throat, very competitive business. When you can get stuff cheaper on the net, paying your employees commission to sell higher priced items is stupid to say the least.
    Then you get jokers like chris who will go on for a day and a half about how his scummy practices and warped sense of honesty is righteous because "he has to make some money". Screw you. No one forced you to work for a shitty store.
    Go get a REAL job.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeJan 8th 2012
    In the good old days, great customer service was knowing your product and your competition pricing. Back then a salesman would not be penalized for a customer using the Low Price Guarantee. This would assure the customer of Fry's not only having the best selection, but would assure them they would be getting the best price guaranteed even after the purchase. Salesmen would have customers that only bought from them because of their product knowledge and their superior service. It was not uncommon back then to have a salesperson let a customer know that their big purchase was now on ad, and they could now get a price adjustment done, saving the customers in some cases hundreds of dollars. The customer was happy, the salesman had built a credible and lasting relationship and that customer would send in their friends to only buy from that sales person.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJan 9th 2012
    FrenchyFry: In the good old days, great customer service was knowing your product and your competition pricing. Back then a salesman would not be penalized for a customer using the Low Price Guarantee. This would assure the customer of Fry's not only having the best selection, but would assure them they would be getting the best price guaranteed even after the purchase. Salesmen would have customers that only bought from them because of their product knowledge and their superior service. It was not uncommon back then to have a salesperson let a customer know that their big purchase was now on ad, and they could now get a price adjustment done, saving the customers in some cases hundreds of dollars. The customer was happy, the salesman had built a credible and lasting relationship and that customer would send in their friends to only buy from that sales person.

EXACTLY.  
    I did not walk into Frys the first time hating it...Quite the opposite....being a tech-geek, I almost had a techno- orgasm the first time I walked through. What has soured me on the store, is having shopped there (rarely now) for 15 yrs, and first hand experiencing lying or clueless salesmen, dead shelf return items, the walk of shame, false advertising, sh*tty attitudes.....and I could go on for hours. I also learned where to buy online, saving myself $$, travel, and aggrivation. I don't shop much at BB, but don't have any of the harsh feelings for THEM, because I've never had the "experience" there I have with Frys. If Frys were to be taken over tommorrow by a company that actually knows how to cater to the customer....I just might start shopping there again regularly.
  7.  permalink
    I remember selling at Fry's back when they would give discounts on large purchases, "free" PSCs, throw in accessories to good customers. Customers buying a laptop over $2k would ALWAYS get a free carrying case thrown in by the Sup. Guys buying Powermacs almost always got free RAM installed.  

They don't trust their Managers to make customers happy anymore. Everything is so scrutinized by the top down they're afraid to deviate from the playbook.http://www.frysblackfriday.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorislandwank
    • CommentTimeFeb 6th 2012
    It was a waste of my fucking time.
  8.  permalink
    islandwank: It was a waste of my fucking time.
    Isn't every V-Con?
    •  
      CommentAuthoriamnothere
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2012
    I guess I will be joining you all in v-con since my manager decided to schedule me for one hour on Friday just to have more people for the pan. Is it even legal to schedule someone to work one hour??!!
  9.  permalink
    iamnothere: I guess I will be joining you all in v-con since my manager decided to schedule me for one hour on Friday just to have more people for the pan. Is it even legal to schedule someone to work one hour??!!
    It sure is. Enjoy your hour of minimum wage!
    •  
      CommentAuthorislandwank
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012
    Chris_Tomkinson:
    islandwank: It was a waste of my fucking time.
    Isn't every V-Con?

Guess it is worth that dollar...