Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsixshooter
    • CommentTimeJan 27th 2012
    My Samsung TV is broken again. 2nd time in 4 years. This time it is being "replaced" as the repair parts are not available. I have offered it to my college age daughter as it still works but with lines on the screen. I have known that it is to be replaced for about a month. NOW(today) The local Fry's(in another state) is telling me that I must return the unrepairable TV before I can get the replacement. No one had mentioned that before in the three previous phone calls. NO WHERE in the contract does it state that the broken product must be returned. Please clarify? Is it possible to keep the unrepairable unit? As a spare if nothing else. Since they keep breaking down....Thanks!
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Can get a replacement 1080 if mine has coil whine?
    Extended Warranty- Can I get check for replacement
    Fry's 3-year One-Time Replacement
    Frys Extended Warranty Repair/Replacement - we got nothing from it!!!
    Question about TV returns?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    You're kidding right? You never mentioned the size or how it was purchased. First of all you are lucky as hell to even get anyone to acknowledge that it would get replaced. A bit more information is needed. By the time Fry's takes care of your problem, you will probably end up with some new OLED set that will be showing up at the end of this year. They tend to search for an open box return, repaired unit to replace it with, just make sure you don't end up with a TUBE TV.
  2.  permalink
    Yes you have to return the old one and once you do they give you the replacement. The key word here is "replacement"  

Fun fact: I remember once at our service department we gave someone their new replacement TV and then later realized we never had them bring in their old TV. oops
    •  
      CommentAuthorsixshooter
    Hi Frys Employee~  

If it's NOT repairable why does Fry's need it back. It's garbage to anyone else.  

This is a 2007 Samsung HPT4264. 42" HD Plasma. 15000:1 contrast ratio.  

By the way ~ What would be a comparable replacement?  

I did a stealth walk thru today and saw a 46 inch LED in the pick up area. Didn't notice if had my name on it or not.  

Would an LED be better or comparable to my beautiful Plasma TV?  

Thanks so much for your time and consideration~ BOTH of you!
  3.  permalink
    I am not sure exactly what they do with all the old broken parts and electronics that is taken in but I just know they send all those back to Fry's home office and they do whatever they want with it. They probably do whatever will make them some sort of money. Either selling it to some company so they can use the parts to fix other broken TV's or sell it to an electronics recycling company. You will not get to keep the TV, you will probably try to keep it but policy is that we have to take in the old to get the new. Knowing Fry's they will probably bill the store/service department if the broken item is not taken from you so you can bet your ass the store manager would not let something like that happen.  

Your 42" inch plasma is old, worthless and obsolete. It only supports 720p. They could give you the cheapest 42" LCD they have and it would still be many times better. If I was frys I would give you a discounted 720p samsung plasma because those are dirt cheap since no one wants a plasma anymore (if they even sell it anymore). Also that contrast ratio can not really be touched by an LCD so that is going to be hard to match to an LCD they give you but I would take a LCD over plasma any day. By the way, what they give you might not be the same brand, they have no obligation to give you another Samsung. It could be Sony/LG or whatever. Most likely it will be a LG, we gave those out all the time.  

If you do not like what they give you there is the option to cash out the replacement. One word of warning, the amount you get is kind of low. I don't remember if it was because the TV is discounted or because it is cashed out at store cost but it was not very much.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsixshooter
    Thanks for your input!!! Very good info. Going to sleep now. Will check back tomorrow or soon! Goodnight.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsixshooter
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2012
    WHATS A TUBE TV? :)
  4.  permalink
    Sixshooter, if Fry's gave you a new one, and let you keep the (apparently functional) old one, you'd be getting two TV's for the price of one. Which is just stupid. Extended warranty doesn't mean buy one, get one free.