Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

•  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012
    Article from The Consumerist:  

Fry's Matches Online Retailer Prices! With A Great Big Catch.  
    By Laura Northrup on February 9, 2012 9:00 AM  

The good news: Fry's Electronics will match just about any valid price that you bring in, even if it's from an online source. Cool! The bad news is that when calculating that price match, they include shipping. Even for Amazon Prime customers like reader Sean, who tried to get Fry's to price-match a Blu-Ray. So, y'know, just go ahead and order that gadget online like you were going to in the first place.  

Sean explains:  

Went to Fry's Electronics tonight and saw a huge banner on the front saying it now matches internet prices, with an asterisk that simply says "see store for details." Decided to see what the conditions were by trying to purchase Gettysburg on Blu-ray Disc. Amazon sells the SKU for $20.49, which Fry's charges $8.50 more.  

I was told at the register that the price would be matched, but I needed to first go to the associate in the DVD department. That rep then sent me to customer service. The manager there explained that Fry's will "match" Amazon's price after levying a shipping charge. I explained that I have Amazon Prime and do not pay for shipping. He first explained that the DVD is not eligible for Amazon Prime, which I refused by placing a mock order from the Amazon app on my phone. Then he explained that Amazon Prime is not honored, because the service is not a part of Amazon, rather a third-party service done on behalf of Amazon. (This is also false.)  

So basically, Fry's doesn't match online pricing ever. And the banner is merely a sales ploy.  
    - END _  

http://consumerist.com/2012/02/frys-matches-online-retailer-prices-with-a-great-big-catch.html
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrysemployee
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2012 edited
    I dislike Fry's as a retail store and as an employer and I will inform everyone of this every opportunity I get. That being said, I have to speak out about this idiot. Amazon Prime is a $80 a year service ($40 for students). He is not getting "free shipping." He is paying for shipping indirectly, how is Fry's suppose to account for this?
  1.  permalink
    What's wrong with this? Fry's will match the delivered price. And the reason they wont match Amazon prime is because it's a service you have to pay for. They were following their price match agreement to the letter.  

If you want the Amazon.com price, go buy it from Amazon.com
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012 edited
    One salesman was so ticked off by the time the customer said, "Well, Best Buy has it for X dollars cheaper " The salesman then calmly said, "Oh yeah, the one right off the freeway. Just make a left at the intersection and you'll see it right there. It's only a few miles from here, and I believe they are open till 9 tonight."  

He was just too frustrated to even go into the Low Price Guarantee, and you can't blame him, now that he loses the commission for matching the price, just to make the sale for the company.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2012
    I pay the $79 a year for Amazon Prime for the instant video streaming similar to Netflix. Getting 2-day free shipping on all products is an extra added bonus.  

Frys can't match this ever so sucks to be Frys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCrazyFox213
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2012 edited
    Oh whatever. fuck frys, and fuck everything they say. their full of shit half the time if not all the time. They can lick some of the 60 year old mutants balls they hire that are still working there after years of being doormats just for the benefits.
  2.  permalink
    What benefits? You pay a really high rate for healthcare if you're full time. If you are part time you get no benefits other than discounts on purchased items.
  3.  permalink
    i didnt mean just health care in general....
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2012 edited
    You get the benefit of paying in full for health insurance at the Frys extra padded rate vs. going directly to the insurance company. But man the real benefit is the Fry's discount on merchandise. And how working there burns up your time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSynomenon
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2012
    Interesting. I pay only $11 a month for health insurance from Fry's. Before I was employed, I paid over $100 a month for health insurance directly from an insurance company.
  4.  permalink
    oh cmon its dhonn, he just makes shit up. pay no mind to him.
    •  
      CommentAuthorislandwank
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2012
    To bad Fry's Electronics doesn't understand this thing called the "internet". Bunch of dumbasses who think that brick and mortar stores will last. I'm sure the only reason Best Buy stopped selling motherboards and other components was that they were not selling as well.  

Time to update your website Fry's Electronics, the 1990s are over.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2012
    FrenchyFry: One salesman was so ticked off by the time the customer said, "Well, Best Buy has it for X dollars cheaper " The salesman then calmly said, "Oh yeah, the one right off the freeway. Just make a left at the intersection and you'll see it right there. It's only a few miles from here, and I believe they are open till 9 tonight."  

He was just too frustrated to even go into the Low Price Guarantee, and you can't blame him, now that he loses the commission for matching the price, just to make the sale for the company.

Sounds like something a frys saleman would say. Although my guess is it was not frustration, but laziness...the item prolly didn't pay commission.  

The whole flaw in the Frys price matching, is the idiots do not understand that shipping is for a seperate, physical service...UPS gets that money, NOT AMAZON. And forget Prime...Amazon offers free shipping on orders over $25.  
    No matter how many banners they put up, or how many splashes they print in ads....Frys is, and always has been about sticking it to the customer (and their employees). Given their resources, Frys COULD compete online with NewEgg and Amazon....but they don't understand the market, and never will. Frys website is a throw back to 1995, and their business model is one that broke 10 yrs ago.
  5.  permalink
    skullywagSounds like something a frys saleman would say. Although my guess is it was not frustration, but laziness...the item prolly didn't pay commission
    In all seriousness, if a customer knows that a nearby Best Buy has an item cheaper than Fry's then why on earth would the customer go to Fry's in the first place?  
    The whole flaw in the Frys price matching, is the idiots do not understand that shipping is for a seperate, physical service...UPS gets that money, NOT AMAZON.
    Yes, that money does go to UPS, but it's something that's necessary if you want to actually take possession of that new toy you ordered from Amazon. Unless you want to drive to the Amazon warehouse and pick it up.
    And forget Prime...Amazon offers free shipping on orders over $25.
    Yes, but it's incredibly slow shipping.
    Given their resources, Frys COULD compete online with NewEgg and Amazon....but they don't understand the market, and never will.
    It would be kind of pointless, since the website and the stores sell the same selection of product. Why order from Frys.com when you could just go into Fry's and buy it? If you don't live within driving distance of a Fry's store, then why not just buy it from Newegg or Amazon?
    Frys website is a throw back to 1995, and their business model is one that broke 10 yrs ago.
    I don't think their business model is broken at all. Prices remain competitive, people keep coming in, and the company keeps on running. It won't last forever, but then neither will any company. The website is dreadful though, and looks (and feels!) like it's from the late 90s. Kind of like Fry's stores do, actually...
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2012
    Chris_Tomkinson:
    skullywagSounds like something a frys saleman would say. Although my guess is it was not frustration, but laziness...the item prolly didn't pay commission
    In all seriousness, if a customer knows that a nearby Best Buy has an item cheaper than Fry's then why on earth would the customer go to Fry's in the first place? Why drive anywhere else if you are already there, and they claim to match prices?  

The whole flaw in the Frys price matching, is the idiots do not understand that shipping is for a seperate, physical service...UPS gets that money, NOT AMAZON.
    Yes, that money does go to UPS, but it's something that's necessary if you want to actually take possession of that new toy you ordered from Amazon. Unless you want to drive to the Amazon warehouse and pick it up.
    And forget Prime...Amazon offers free shipping on orders over $25.
    Yes, but it's incredibly slow shipping. I don't know where you get that from...3 days is the average for my Amazon purchases. And lets compare apples with apples...not oranges. Cost is cost, shipping is shipping. One has nothing to do with the other. 75% of what I buy from Amazon has free shipping anyway (because I order more than $25), and I rarely buy anything from NewEgg that does not have free shipping.  
    Given their resources, Frys COULD compete online with NewEgg and Amazon....but they don't understand the market, and never will.
    It would be kind of pointless, since the website and the stores sell the same selection of product. Why order from Frys.com when you could just go into Fry's and buy it? Duh! This is 2012, and many people would rather shop from home, than spend $3.50 a gallon for gas and deal with store crowds and irritable salesmen.  
    If you don't live within driving distance of a Fry's store, then why not just buy it from Newegg or Amazon? I do.  
    Frys website is a throw back to 1995, and their business model is one that broke 10 yrs ago.
    I don't think their business model is broken at all. Prices remain competitive, people keep coming in, and the company keeps on running. It won't last forever, but then neither will any company. The website is dreadful though, and looks (and feels!) like it's from the late 90s. Kind of like Fry's stores do, actually...
    Frys no longer has real "customer service" to speak of, because their employees are only interested in what pays commission, NOT customer service. People that WOULD be loyal customers are tired of the shelfs being half stocked with returned merch, and the nasty surprizes when they buy said open box merch. From what I've seen the stores are not doing the business they were 10 yrs ago. I WAS a loyal Frys customer way back, but got burned too many times to still shop there..... Unless it's an emergency and I HAVE to have a part THAT day. And I really dread those occasions.
  6.  permalink
    skullywag:Frys no longer has real "customer service" to speak of, because their employees are only interested in what pays commission, NOT customer service. People that WOULD be loyal customers are tired of the shelfs being half stocked with returned merch, and the nasty surprizes when they buy said open box merch. From what I've seen the stores are not doing the business they were 10 yrs ago. I WAS a loyal Frys customer way back, but got burned too many times to still shop there..... Unless it's an emergency and I HAVE to have a part THAT day. And I really dread those occasions.
    Of course we are, that's because we only get paid when we sell stuff that pays commission. People who work at Fry's have bills to pay too, surprisingly.  

The salesmen at Fry's have no control over what the shelves are stocked with, that would be the responsibility of the buyers at our home office. I would much rather sell in a store with shelves overflowing with new, shiny merchandise. I hate selling open box stuff because it always gets returned. Some aisles in our store are so empty and neglected that they look like the last days of the Circuit City liquidation sale. At least with Fry's, the returned stuff is clearly labelled as such. I worked for a major retailer in the past where returned stuff was put back on the shelf, unmarked and sold as new.  

Yes, I know I should be grateful for the opportunity to spend 20 minutes selling someone the $299 laptop in the ad with no warranty and make $0. But, amazingly, I would rather sell them a non-ad laptop and maybe make $5-10. Very few laptops pay more than $15, and only the *really* high end stuff pays $20 or more.  

I occasionally go into Best Buy, and when I do, I notice that no one at all asks me if I need help (which is fine, because I am tech savvy and wouldn't need their help anyway). At least at Fry's, you will be asked if you need help with the computers. When people are paid an hourly wage, there's no real incentive to help customers because it won't affect their paycheck either way. When people are paid commission, they have some kind of incentive to get the customer to buy stuff.  

As for Fry's not doing as well as 10 years ago, that's probably true for a lot of retailers. But Fry's seems to have stalled, they haven't opened many new stores lately. It's stagnant, to be sure, but I wouldn't write the corporate obituary just yet. It's a private company though, so it's anyone's guess what the financial realities are.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMylo7
    • CommentTimeMar 1st 2013
    Amazon offers free shipping for the most part, so that's hardly an issue in my store. Since anyone can sell on Amazon though, the seller has to either be "Fulfilled by Amazon" or Amazon itself. I still hate Fry's.
  7.  permalink
    Frys is a trash store,with trash employees who don't even care about their jobs. Adding a shipping charge to anyyhing,is sheer ridiculous. No matter how you try to defend it,it's wrong on every level. It's like all stores,when they refuse to price match a competing store cause they don't have it in stock. Again,it defeats the entire purpose. But why would they price match something,the competing store doesn't have you say?

Simple,it gets customers into your store. Chances are they'll buy something else on top of that. If your going to price match,you just do it. No stipulations, no asterisk, no conditions. Just do it. I stopped giving frys my money years ago. I would recommend everyone does the same.
  8.  permalink
    Lol no, ppl that price match are there for the lowest price, not to add more to their cart. If they do, its also price matched. They're trash customers that make no store gp. It's better if they just don't come in. They're also the same customers that complain about sales tax and how its an outage. Simple response, talk to your state representative.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2015 edited
    Guest: Lol no, ppl that price match are there for the lowest price, not to add more to their cart. If they do, its also price matched. They're trash customers that make no store gp. It's better if they just don't come in. They're also the same customers that complain about sales tax and how its an outage. Simple response, talk to your state representative.

That is a typical weak Fry's answer.  

There's nothing wrong with the a customer wanting to come into a store to buy one item, and to get it for a good price (even at a loss to the store). Do you ever wonder how sales work? Take a look at your candy aisle. Your goal is to get the customer into the store, and while they are there, they might make other considerations (ie. a $1 candy bar). Of course, Fry's isn't going to make a lot of their money off of candy, but this strategy works for the rest of the store too. You can even look at other examples... Ever noticed milk being at the back of a grocery store? Someone could argue that the walk-in refrigerator is in the back, but why not have the stores design the walk-in refrigerators near the front instead, or put milk next to the ice? Why do almost all of the stores have it in the back? People come in for what they "need", and while they are at it, they might as well pick up their pickles, minced garlic, salad, apples, etc. whatever they want (whoops, I only came in for one thing!)  

The store should be giving customers an incentive to visit their location, even at a loss to their own. As "SALES" persons or a management member in a retail store, it is your goal to make them leave with more than just that, or to qualify them for their product. Someone might be coming in for a printer they saw online for well below Cost, and a sales associate should be sure to qualify them for that product or another if that printer wont meet all of their needs; however, if they pick up that printer, they are going to need ink, typically a USB A to B cable, paper, etc, and it is "convenient" to pick it all up at the store at once. Maybe, while they are in, they might be interested in a scanner too, or they might explore the store for their next purchase (maybe they walk out today while the store is temporarily at a loss, but they'll become invested in the store, and you can make profit off of them next time).  

If customers are not invested in the store... then sure: They will do exactly as you describe. They'll *only* come in for dirt cheap low-GP products, they wont invest anymore into the store, and they'll leave... no accessories, no other products, not even a candy bar at the checkout! This is what the Fry's model looks like as of most recent years, but I can assure you, I do not see this at other stores (visit a Target or a Costco sometime, and learn some from your competition). Customers already know that the stores want to make money off of them (how else would the business run), so the stores not only sell products, but they sell customer service and convenience too. Should I buy that $40 printer online and save $10 with the risk of shipping, waiting, wrong address, possibly needing to return, etc. or should I spend the extra $5 and pick it up at the store? Better yet! I overlooked this problem online and I need the USB cable too, which means I don't have to wait for another shipment to begin using my product; also, if there are any defects, I wont need to ship it back or I can have someone more knowledge of the product help me.  

Don't rely on policy in order for you to invest in your customers! I saw someone move up very quickly to Assistant Store Manager using a technique I described above. Sure! He worked in Audio-Video, and yes, customers only came in for the TV's that were on sale and low-GP! He spent time with the customers, used their phone numbers, and he would call them 1 ~ 2 weeks after their purchase to see how they were doing. Customers would come back in specifically looking for him, and for many of the customers, he was able to convince them to come back for items like HDMI cables and even PSCs (The 30 day clock was ticking, and who wants to be stranded with a TV that is not working anymore?). That's real selling! If you are doing it the way you described, then you're not selling, you are just a mere merchandiser helping customers with a self-serving system.  

Just because it is not a Fry's policy (to be good), doesn't mean that you can't enrich yourself. Do what you can to make it happen!  

edit: Corrected a spelling typo and it was bothering me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 23rd 2015
    Guest: Lol no, ppl that price match are there for the lowest price, not to add more to their cart. If they do, its also price matched. They're trash customers that make no store gp. It's better if they just don't come in. They're also the same customers that complain about sales tax and how its an outage. Simple response, talk to your state representative.

"They're trash customers" "It's better if they just don't come in" - well....there ya go. The main reason why Fry's is losing business. They view anyone that wants a price match, especially on a big ticket/costly item as "trash" and "don't even bother me". That's why when I need to get something camera related, new laptop , etc., I'll go to Best Buy as they'll gladly price match and want my business, and not put me through the ringer like Fry's does.
  9.  permalink
    I wish they did the stuff that Josh said.
    Though the store I work at doesn't really care about shipping charges.
  10.  permalink
    thats right, go to best buy. when im paid purely on commission and price matching drops a $10 and sometimes $60 dollar sale to $0, what incentive do I have to help you? Good customer service doesnt pay my bills. Fry's gets their cut but when they price match I dont.So if I have a choice to spend 1 hour helping a person that will pay me or the same hour helping someone who wont, what do you realistically think any person would do?
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeSep 27th 2015 edited
    Guest: thats right, go to best buy. when im paid purely on commission and price matching drops a $10 and sometimes $60 dollar sale to $0, what incentive do I have to help you? Good customer service doesnt pay my bills. Fry's gets their cut but when they price match I dont.So if I have a choice to spend 1 hour helping a person that will pay me or the same hour helping someone who wont, what do you realistically think any person would do?

I used to work at Fry's as a computer salesman making commission ONLY and this statement can't be more true. I would only spend time with the customers willing to spend money and dump the cheapo price match and penny pinching ones. You have to cherry pick to survive. You have to be a racist motherfucker like me to survive and disregard MOST Asian especially Indian customers. I used to make between $45-55K working commission only PART TIME! It's not about customer service, it's about snatching the commission. Fry's doesn't give a fuck if a customer didn't like your level of service. Fry's doesn't give a fuck if you discriminate a certain type of customer. I'm not there to give Fry's a better reputation or to support the company, I'm there to make as much as I can and then move onto a better job. In the end, I lost nothing, but long term wise Fry's will eventually lose. Don't let the company play you, play the company ;)
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeSep 28th 2015
    Guest: thats right, go to best buy. when im paid purely on commission and price matching drops a $10 and sometimes $60 dollar sale to $0, what incentive do I have to help you? Good customer service doesnt pay my bills. Fry's gets their cut but when they price match I dont.So if I have a choice to spend 1 hour helping a person that will pay me or the same hour helping someone who wont, what do you realistically think any person would do?

So....we should pay a higher price at Fry's simply because you're paid on commission and we should feel sorry for you? No one's forcing you to work at Fry's.

demotivational-posters-highly-illogical1.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    Except he's not saying that. He's saying that since his livelihood depends on getting people to pay more, he's going to dump the ones that won't give you any pay. Remember, Fry's will fire you if you don't make quota's. You have to play the game with the rules Fry's Corporate makes, or you will lose, and in this case here, all the customers lose.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    t0rrent: Except he's not saying that. He's saying that since his livelihood depends on getting people to pay more, he's going to dump the ones that won't give you any pay. Remember, Fry's will fire you if you don't make quota's. You have to play the game with the rules Fry's Corporate makes, or you will lose, and in this case here, all the customers lose.

There are no rules.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Rules? (reference starts at 55 seconds)  
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=A5f5_KdLEw4
  11.  permalink
    Yes, pay higher prices. If you're too poor, go away and leave us alone. Go buy that $100 imac you saw on crazyallah.com from them.
Add your comments