Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorunknown12
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012
    here is my story at Fry's Electronics:  
    i bought my laptop at frys 3 months ago and i just found out that my laptop has several dead pixels on it which its annoying because i bought it for 1k5 including the PSC. so on Monday 3/12/2012; i brought my laptop in for them either to fix or to replace. At first the technician did not see any dead pixels, but actually there were and he asked his friend to see if there are and his friend confirm that "yes there are and i can see". during that process they sprayed those cleaning solution directly on my screen which i was unhappy. however, they say that they're going to fix which i was so happy but they told me that they have to send it to sony to fix which i was surprised because i thought i bought the warranty so they could fix it at the store so i can get it home ASAP. so i was shocked and i argued with those technicians and asked if i could speak to the store manager and he laid to me by asking his co-worker to be the manager. so i did not know that and the "unreal manager" said that the laptop actually goes to home office at Cali where they're going to take care my laptop for me. So i agreed to let them ship it to Cali. so the technician was checking my laptop but the way he handled it was kind of careless, he hit my laptop at the wall, tablet, and glasses. Anyway, i went home and read some articles online and this forum which made me rethink about my decision earlier and the next day 3/13/2012; i went back and asked them to fix my laptop at the store or give me a new one (which the sale man told me that i could replace it or they[frys technician could replace the screen right away]which it led to a big argument between me and those technicians and his manager. they were so rude to me and then they decided to let me talk to the "real" store manager. i talked to him and he was sorry and he told me he will take care of my situation.  
    However, i do not really trust those technician, so my questions are would those guys damage my laptop at any way they could when i left the store yesterday or replace things inside the laptop?:face-plain:
  1.  permalink
    Did they give you a loaner laptop? There should be some stipulations since I know the sales guys were pitching that in the camera and TV department.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2012
    The only way to fix dead pixels is to replace the screen. It would have been easier to just replace the laptop, but....this is Fry's we're talking about.  

Hope you backed up all of your data.  

As to Fry's potentially damaging your laptop due to their carelessness - there's a good chance of that happening.
    •  
      CommentAuthorunknown12
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012
    yes, i did backup my data and yes they did give me a loaner laptop. i also took some pictures of my laptop when i left the store but i'm worried that they're going to drop it and jump on the laptop just to get the revenge.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    May be easier, but you have to look at cost. If the laptop has a thousand dollar cost and the display is 600, the display gets replaced. If they sent it to Sony it means it's still in manufacturer's warranty and due to the contract with their insurer, they have to send it to the manufacturer. And the same is pretty much any store/vendor unless you have a specific replace only warranty.
  2.  permalink
    Sorry to tell you average consumer, but Sony laptops suck ass. Only laptops that I would ever spend 1.5k on is an Asus or MSI laptop. I would never spend that much on any other brand. When it comes to gaming laptops or entertainment laptops, you need to do your research. As far as I'm concerned, it is your fault on not doing your research before purchasing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorunknown12
    To Guest 84: i dont really care whether SOny sucks or not, my question is that are they going to damage my laptop or not. Also i did my research before any big purchases.  
    To Torrent: i was told by the sale man so. i was also happy that they are going to fix my laptop but i was shocked because when i bought the warranty the sale man told me that they're going to fix it at the "store". anyway, now i'm concerned about if they're going to damage my laptop when i was not there
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2012 edited
    You won't know till you get it back. If it comes back damaged, give em hell, and take them to small claims court if they do not make it right.  
    No, it would NOT be easier for Frys to fix it, than replace it...it is a 3 MONTH OLD laptop, and still under manufacturer warranty....they can let Sony replace it.... or fix it, so they could sell it with an open box sticker like 40% of their inventory. But Frys IS Frys.  

I will not buy a laptop without powering it up first, and checking for dead pixels (many free apps on the net for very quick checking or alternating wallpaper through solid colors will work)...if they don't want me opening the box and plugging it in...I'll buy from somebody else. Both Walmart and Tiger Direct have let me power up laptops before purchasing in the past.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 4479
    call the manufacturer.

They will actually fix it, Fry's WILL NOT FIX IT, AND WILL MAKE YOU PAY FOR THE REPAIR, even though you have a psc.

sorry
    •  
      CommentAuthorunknown12
    Thanks the advice guys, really quick question. if they do not damage the plastic case (lid and the plastic outside) but they do damage the internal stuffs such as hdd or graphic card, ect. how do i know it right away? is it something when i turn on my laptop then i will immediately see it? if so i'll check the laptop when they hang it over to me in the store.
  3.  permalink
    No, generally they will damage it in a way so you can't really tell anything is out of place or wrong with your laptop at the time of pickup. You will then sign a release saying you received your property. Either that day or sometime later you will start to notice some sort of physical damage or faulty hardware. When you return your laptop back to the store they will see the problem was caused by physical damage and you have to pay out of pocket to fix it since physical damage is not covered. At this point Fry's completed what it set to accomplish, extract more money out of you. Have fun!
    •  
      CommentAuthorunknown12
    Can you please tell me more about those? like how are they going to damage the laptop that i wont be able to see it?
  4.  permalink
    They will pour hot water on it and then take a tiny hammer and bang the hard drive out of place.
  5.  permalink
    why didnt you just ask for an exchange?i love it when they call me big papa
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2012
    biggysmalls what up dood
    •  
      CommentAuthorunknown12
    • CommentTimeMar 19th 2012
    I did ask for an exchange but they did not let me have an exchange. they said they do not have that option in the PSC
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2012
    At least my store when I worked there (again, been gone 3 years, so it may have gone to shit) but we hated seeing crap come back for re-works so we actually did everything we could to make a customer happy. Sometimes shit happens, and in those cases, we would notify the customer that something unexpected came up and we would be waiting on another part. Perfect example of that is someone brought there laptop in and it was a faulty motherboard. Well in the replacement of the motherboard somehow a screw got tightened a little too much and went through the bezzel. We promptly ordered another one on our dime and got it in and replaced that as well. Cost us another week but better then trying to hide a hole in the wrist pad where a screw went through. Contrary to popular belief, we didn't go out of our way to break your stuff. Again though this was store 21 fremont, so your mileage may vary, especially since there is only the DM, Sup 1 and a part time tech left from when I was there.
    •  
      CommentAuthorunknown12
    So are you saying, even a angry customer's laptop would be treated nicely and the technicians will not damage the laptop even he hates the customer? is there any camera in the department that watches what the technicians are doing with the laptops before they ship it out to the manufacture?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    If you're that concerned, go back to Fry's, ask for your laptop back, and send it to the manufacturer yourself. You'll be able to track it and it'll probably get returned to you quicker than if you let Fry's handle it (yeah...you got ripped off by paying for a Fry's warranty).  

Personally, I would never buy a laptop, let alone anything of significance beyond a pack of gum, from Fry's. I've seen how they handle their merchandise (look up the American Tourister gorilla commercial on YouTube - you'll get the idea).
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012
    unknown12: So are you saying, even a angry customer's laptop would be treated nicely and the technicians will not damage the laptop even he hates the customer? is there any camera in the department that watches what the technicians are doing with the laptops before they ship it out to the manufacture?

At least the staff I worked with, we wouldn't do that. We had no means to. If a customer was that angry when they brought there stuff in, we'd let our ASM or SM take care of it and go from there. In fact the only time customers property was intentionally damaged was when the customer did it himself when he threw his printer across the desk and it smashed to the ground. The one thing we would do if a customer acted like that though is we wouldn't go out of our way for him. They would become less of a priority and we wouldn't do anything to rush the job. If you act like a shit, you get shit service at the bare minimum. Treat the employee's good and they are more then likely to go out of there way for you. When I left I still had people asking for me by name since I treated them the way I wanted to be treated. But if you treated me like garbage, then you got standard service only and I would not give you any freebies.  

As for cameras, there are cameras all over the store, including the service area to watch for shoplifters as well as employee thefts, including the cages where everything is staged to be shipped out for repairs. Obviously there are blind spots on every camera, and the bathroom has no cameras but I highly doubt a tech is going to take your laptop to the bathroom to damage it. Either your extremely paranoid, or you completely went off on the associate when they told you it was being shipped out and are now paranoid they may fuck with you for revenge. If it is the latter, I hope you learned that the techs are human too and deal with 10x the angry customers of any other department and hate seeing stuff come in as much as you hate bringing it in. If it is paranoia though, you should probably get that tin foil hat removed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrysemployee
    • CommentTimeMar 21st 2012 edited
    None of what I said above (towards the top) is true and I hope everyone realizes that, I was just trolling this idiot that believes everything they hear. "They damage your computer in a way you wont notice?" Are you that dense?  
    Here is the truth:  

At our store we cover the lid with this blue tape to protect the top cover of a laptop. We make notes on any physical damage a computer has at the time of check-in and have you sign off on it being accurate. We wrap the laptop in about 7 layers of bubble wrap to protect it while it travels out of the store. Any damage caused to the laptop by us would be fixed/taken care of. The PSC is always handled first by any manufactures warranty. What the PSC provides you is a loaner and taking care of shipping and coordinating the repair with the manufacture. Without the PSC you would be out a computer for however long your system would be in transit and while it was being repaired. Yes it will take longer going via Frys but that is why we have the loaner service.