Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfiveday
    • CommentTimeApr 7th 2012
    $8.00hr plus sales commission = cheap labor
  1.  permalink
    Fer Reals? How bout getting those commissions back to 2007 payouts too rather than Randy Co. eating all that margin.
  2.  permalink
    its real. 12 stores are on this program. supervisors now have to sell themselves to make that moneyzz
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 6219
    This is probably the stupidest and most illegal situation that I have encountered at frys. So supervisors now make minimum wage, but make no group/department commission, so the only way to make money is to sell along salespeople who make commission only, while still having authority over the same salespeople? Really? Hey, go do carts while I cherry-pick sales. Go do this schematic while I sell laptops with PSC'S. I need you to walk rebate signs for accuracy. How anyone at Fry's home office can think they are not going to be sued into oblivion for this conflict of interest alone is astounding. How about the fact that other supervisors in other departments (components, audio-video, etc) are paid department-based commission, while supervisors in the computer department have the same responsibilities for minimum wage only, unless they stop doing their actual job of supervising/keep up their advocacy in order to personally sell to a customer? Where are the checks and balances? What happens when one supervisor does their job, where the other clocks in and only sells instead? The correct answer is no supervisors do their job anymore. Salespeople are now responsible for completing their own internet price matches, including filling out an internet price match sheet which has nothing to do with the customer getting the correct price, but just extra paperwork for audit, for no pay. I guarantee that is not legal in any way shape or form.

Please make this the time that Fry's pays for the horrible abuse, negligence, and lack of respect it has for good people who have made them money for many years.
  3.  permalink
    The circle of retail hell is complete
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    Are you kidding me? 8/hr and commission? What's the freaking point of being a sup anymore if you make more or less the same as anyone else?
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2012
    sups get 8 bucks an hour for supervisory responsibilities and as a bonus they can sell products for commissions, this is going to be excellent!
  4.  permalink
    So far I have only heard this is for computers. Does anyone out there know if the other departments will do the same?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 6219
    • CommentTimeApr 8th 2012
    So far it's computers only.
  5.  permalink
    wow just when you think Frys couldn't get any stupider ...
  6.  permalink
    Make no mistake, if this works (and by "works," I mean it leads to more profit paid to the Directors and Randy & his entourage), it'll no doubt be rolled out to the rest of the sales departments.
  7.  permalink
    giving more to the rich people never made you more money.
  8.  permalink
    Has anyone actually confirmed this? I seriously cannot believe this. It will turn supervisors and salesmen into competitors, and cause massive conflict of interest.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 6929
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    Yup it's true it's gonna start soon here in Fishers 43! it's totally fucked up it's gonna be a chaos in the department! I'm actually thinking about getting a management position at Best buy or staples at least they pay you more than paying a computer sup at fucking Jewish Fry's!!
  9.  permalink
    Supposedly Vegas is on this set up so they would be the best to know.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 11th 2012
    Guest: f*cking Jewish Fry's!!

A bit bigoted, aren't we?
  10.  permalink
    Its supposed to improve numbers. First week in and our numbers went down. I think its fuckin stupid. In order or sups to make more money they take away from the sales associates who arnt getting paid hourly
  11.  permalink
    Fair warning: This pay structure for supervisors will be for all stores in all departments. Not just Computer Dept. If there was ever a time to get your CV together and start a union, now would would be that time.
  12.  permalink
    Oh, and the new structure starts next quarter (two weeks from this post). Forgot to mention that.
  13.  permalink
    Does that include the Service department or just sales (Component, Computers, A/V, Appliance/Telecom, Software)?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeApr 20th 2012
    So How does one on Commission only, take a Request from their Supervisor, ( Who can Sell the next Customer ) to put away a Cart of merchandise, while their fellow Associates watch in astonishment? It's one thing to get paid Hourly, and Commission, but this is a knock down, kick ass, that will end up on You Tube.  

You got to wonder WTF is Corporate thinking? You had a good thing going... WHat Happened, that made you do this?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    You know this might sound funny, but for the first 4 months I worked at Frys, I thought that you were made a supervisor if they were trying to get rid of you (just because we've never had someone in our department get "promoted" and last longer than 3 months before walking out. Frys literally pits supervisors against customers like a cock fight and most sups don't truly realize this until they get their "promotion". I've been asked 4 times to be made a supervisor and I always said "fuck no!" for a very good reason. Only at Frys does a promotion = 10 times more stress and often times LESS or exactly the same money when you see your net paycheck.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 6223
    A couple of us in our store's components department have been thinking of starting a union, but I don't know if enough employees would want in. One of the guys in our dept. successfully started a union at one of his previous places of employment.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeApr 21st 2012
    Fry's will make anyone that trys to start a union there "disappear".
  14.  permalink
    $7.25/an hour, no draw, plus sales commission. Starts 4.30.2012
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeApr 22nd 2012
    Guest: $7.25/an hour, no draw, plus sales commission. Starts 4.30.2012

You know what I love most about Fry's? There's a new restructuring of the company and all its policies and procedures every few weeks... "Didn't you get the memo?" should be the Fry's Slogan.  

You'd think 28 years would have been enough time to figure out the fundamentals of how the company should be run, what works and what doesn't, etc... but noooope. Every day is like the first day the company has been in existence. :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2012
    This really sucks. Sorry guys.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    all these measures are done to save the company. You don't want to lose your job do you?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAviator08
    I feel bad for computers. Hopefully components won't get this . The theory of sups on the same level as sales is absolutely stupid. How can you compete with a sup? Do really think a sup is going to pass on a big sale to you now? This is the dumbest idea I have seen so far at frys
  15.  permalink
    Per an internal memo from Ken Lutz...  

HBR (Hourly Basic Rate, essentially minimum wage in your state of employment) + Commission on items quoted & sold, no draw (obviously).  

Effective Week 1 of next quarter starting 4.30.12 for all supervisors of Depts 2,5, and 7.  

There's rumors that the roles of either the CSDM or ASM are getting redefined to include responsibilities as "Merchandising Manager," or something to that effect. They'd be responsible for tasking merchandisers with schematics, TSR, go-backs, etc.  

There's two huge problems with this that are a virtual guarantee:  
    A) Sups selling in direct competition with salesmen ("Go put that freight away while I hit up every customer on the floor.")  
    B) Virtually zero incentive to maintain an advocacy. Seriously, why would anyone care about the merchandising, GP, or general health of the department when none of that has any impact on their paycheck?  

There's been a huge influx of new hires in our store in the last few weeks, and there's no doubt in my mind that it's no coincidence. San Jose fully expects walk-outs, and they're already prepping a pool of fresh meat to condition into accepting the system.  

Stay classy, Randy.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeApr 25th 2012

A) Sups selling in direct competition with salesmen ("Go put that freight away while I hit up every customer on the floor.")  
    B) Virtually zero incentive to maintain an advocacy. Seriously, why would anyone care about the merchandising, GP, or general health of the department when none of that has any impact on their paycheck?  

A) How many Sups are there per dept? If there's only 1 per dept, then they can't possibly hit up every customer, every minute, on the floor on a normal day right? Seems just like adding 1 more person to the sales floor to me.  

B) Things seem to look fine at the moment at my local store so somehow the system's working. Changing the Sup's role isn't going to have that dramatic impact on the overall health of the dept is it? Also Is there a correlation between GP and commission/draw earned?  

Just saying brah.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    Aviator08: I feel bad for computers. Hopefully components won't get this . The theory of sups on the same level as sales is absolutely stupid. How can you compete with a sup? Do really think a sup is going to pass on a big sale to you now? This is the dumbest idea I have seen so far at frys

How easy is it to determine what a customer's going to buy? And once they pick out what they're going to get, isn't it too late to change the quote once it's been printed anyway? Neither a Sup nor a sales associate is that adept at sniffing out a potential customer with a big sale are they?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 6219
    Supervisor says to all salesmen, "I need you to put away carts or TSR the ailes"

First customer comes up to sup: "Hey I need help with this ad laptop". Supervisor says, "Jason, can you help this customer with a laptop"

Second customer comes up to sup and says: "Hey I heard you do internet price matching, I found this cheaper on newegg". Supervisor says "Jessica, can you assist this customer"

Third customer comes up to the sup and says: "Hey I'm looking for a gaming laptop" Supervisor says, "Sure, right this way"

Also departments have up to 5 supervisors.
  16.  permalink
    ^ Exactly. Cherrypicking sales.  

As far as supervisory responsibilities, Sups have signage to maintain, weekly cycle counts, sponsored endcaps to rotate every month, displays & demos to install, schematics to walk...the list goes on. Why do any of this when you can be selling items and making more than minimum wage?
  17.  permalink
    Cinnabon:  
    Also Is there a correlation between GP and commission/draw earned?  

Not sure what you mean by this. Commission is usually calculated based on the GP of the item in question.  
    Item has positive GP -> Pays COMM$. Item has zero or negative GP -> No COMM$.  

There are exceptions. Often clearance items will be sold at a loss but still pay the sales associate because the item needs to move.  
    Outside of the hourly (minimum wage), this is the only way Supervisors are paid.  

Say you're Sup1 in Computers. Regardless of whether your dept sells $10,000 worth of desktops or $50,000 that week, it has zero impact on your paycheck.
  18.  permalink
    I see this as a sign that things are getting desperate. I'm not sure about your store, but here everything looks desolate. Half empty shelves everywhere, no stock of new products, and the product on the shelves is horribly merchandised. It looks like Circuit City in the last days of the going out of business sale (minus all the customers, of course).  

Something has clearly gone wrong. Turning sales associates and supervisors into rivals is just asking for trouble. Supervisors are going to care more about selling than their supervisory duties, and sales associates are going to be even less inclined to do things like TSR and go-backs. They might as well change the supervisor job title to "senior sales associate" and just have the department manager do everything. Next step will be taking away the supervisor's hourly pay and making them into regular sales associates.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    Guest: Supervisor says to all salesmen, "I need you to put away carts or TSR the ailes"  

First customer comes up to sup: "Hey I need help with this ad laptop". Supervisor says, "Jason, can you help this customer with a laptop"  

Second customer comes up to sup and says: "Hey I heard you do internet price matching, I found this cheaper on newegg". Supervisor says "Jessica, can you assist this customer"  

Third customer comes up to the sup and says: "Hey I'm looking for a gaming laptop" Supervisor says, "Sure, right this way"  

Also departments have up to 5 supervisors.

Go-backs and TSR usually happen during closing though right? For in ad stuff, I'm sure sales associates can try to upsell customers on something that's a little better and/or throw a PSC on top of that (do those still earn commission?). As for price matching, I'm not sure what the sales associate can do to get money out of it. Maybe they can sell the customer on something else if PM+shipping is more than what they intend to spend. Sucks to hear that there are 5 sups in each dept. It does make it a bit more difficult for sales associates to get anything.
  19.  permalink
    I think they should save the salary from the ASM and CSM. My store is so slow that they don't do much and are one of the highest paid. The SM should be able to handle the store with the assistance of the DM's. Randy save money cutting or removing their positions and compensate supervisors better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAviator08
    • CommentTimeApr 26th 2012
    Cinnabon:
    Aviator08: I feel bad for computers. Hopefully components won't get this . The theory of sups on the same level as sales is absolutely stupid. How can you compete with a sup? Do really think a sup is going to pass on a big sale to you now? This is the dumbest idea I have seen so far at frys

How easy is it to determine what a customer's going to buy? And once they pick out what they're going to get, isn't it too late to change the quote once it's been printed anyway? Neither a Sup nor a sales associate is that adept at sniffing out a potential customer with a big sale are they?

Most of the time if you study the customer you can tell if they are buying or not. It's all about body language. Of course there are some exceptions but the point is the supervisors have an unfair advantage over a com only salesman. They could very easily cherry pick the sales. If your in sales you should know what the high paying and high traffic aisles are. In components for example I know I will be much more eager to help with a router or a security system than with batteries or adaptors or other little bullshit items in our department
  20.  permalink
    One of my Sups confirmed that as of next week they will be paid hourly + commission and will have to directly compete with sales associates for sales. This is so wrong and I really have trouble with it. Why would any Sup be ok with this?
    I hate Frys!
  21.  permalink
    They are not OK; quitting is their only other option.
  22.  permalink
    Thank goodness I didn't stick around to try and move up to be Sup.
  23.  permalink
    It's happening. Yesterday I watched our Sup direct a sales associate to run a cart full of stock to receiving. The Sup then sold TVs while the associate was "busy". Slight conflict of interest? I am now refusing to top stock or do any busy work that takes me off the floor, since I am not paid for this. Let the merchandisers and Sups do the busy work since they get the hourly pay.
    That's right, I'm suggesting we stand up to management and not be taken advantage of.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMay 4th 2012
    Guest: I'm suggesting we stand up to management and not be taken advantage of.

Good luck with that....you'll find yourself on the outside looking in.  

Reality check - Fry's senior management doesn't give a rat's pajamas about you, supervisors/managers, or even the customers. They only care about how much money they can rake in for themselves...all at everyone else's expense.
  24.  permalink
    Current anonymous Fry's employee here. Ever since the change, our overall sales performance for the week has decreased over 40%. Also it's minimum wage + commission, just to clarify. Also, I was informed that I'd be fired if anyone found out I posted here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012
    Guest: I was informed that I'd be fired if anyone found out I posted here.

Obviously the Fry's boys don't want the truth getting out there
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMay 5th 2012
    its very stupid for a Supervisor NOT to take advantage of a salesmen. Make salesmen work on non-sales tasks while you take sales.
  25.  permalink
    Sups love it, Sales hate it. I heard a sup talking about how he was so pissed off at the noobs at front check out becuase he lost 12 dollars in commission because some cashier didn't scan the quote. Want this to go away - There's your solution. Pay the cashiers not to scan Sup's qoutes. Problem solved. What are they going to do, fire the cashiers? Then they'd really be SOL. Just to add, same day that sup was complaining talked to a sales from the same dept. ..in the draw.. Hmm wonder why.
  26.  permalink
    SALESMEN check your paychecks!!! I've had the exact same draw balance deducted two weeks in a row and another salesmen mentioned to me today that the system was still showing him in draw from last week even though his paycheck shows him as out. FYI.
  27.  permalink
    Sups in my store are doing well. Many of them, better than the other assoicates.