Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJun 11th 2012
    I'm considering replacing my wide format printer with one of the more recent Epson (or maybe even Canon) models. So, just for laughs, I stopped by the NW Houston Fry's Saturday afternoon. The first thing that was obvious was how empty the parking lot was.  

Walking in, it was apparent just how much the store was in disarray from the last time I visited there (almost 2 years ago). Trash cans and wads of paper towels where there were roof leaks (these had been there for some time), lots of aisles with either nothing on them or only a few items. The wide format printers (what few they had) were against the back wall, and it appeared that no one had either dusted or kept them up.  

One salesperson did approach me asked if I needed help. I advised her that I was looking at getting a new wide format. She responded "ok", and walked away. Guess these don't pay enough commission so the sales people don't bother helping. I have to wonder just how much longer Fry's will be in business. Their current business model isn't working. It's definitely not customer friendly.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Store 10... Going downhill really quick
    Is fry's employee going to damage my laptop?
    Fry's is going out of business.
    Fry's is going to open on midnight on black friday.
    Tempe AZ store has gone downhill...
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2012
    So long as the Fry's brothers maintain their profit margins, it's all going to stay the same. Employee's with little to no training thrown to the wolves, fighting with each other over commissions, while the supervisors pick and choose just so they can maintain their pay. I was at 21 a few weeks ago hoping to catch a friend whose last day was that day and 730 on a friday the parking lot was empty.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    ObiWan you should have told her you're so disgusted and to start cleaning.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    *shrugs*  

Visited store 7 a few weeks back looking to check out the new Asus G75. It's been a while and the parking lot did look a bit emptier than I remembered for a Sunday afternoon. Things did look pretty lively once I got inside though. The store was clean, well-maintained and all the sales people were busy assisting customers in the computer area I was browsing through. I've nothing against Fry's and don't mind buying stuff from them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpace7478
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012
    That's interesting, store 20 seems to be quite busy and full on the weekends. Merchandisers are kept for a long time at the registers instead of helping their departments.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJun 19th 2012
    ObiWan:  

Walking in, it was apparent just how much the store was in disarray from the last time I visited there (almost 2 years ago). Trash cans and wads of paper towels where there were roof leaks (these had been there for some time), lots of aisles with either nothing on them or only a few items. The wide format printers (what few they had) were against the back wall, and it appeared that no one had either dusted or kept them up.  

One salesperson did approach me asked if I needed help. I advised her that I was looking at getting a new wide format. She responded "ok", and walked away. Guess these don't pay enough commission so the sales people don't bother helping. I have to wonder just how much longer Fry's will be in business. Their current business model isn't working. It's definitely not customer friendly.

Must be a Texas thang? The Arlington Tx store is also run down, and most employees are hoping to win a trophy for pocket pool.
  2.  permalink
    I just read up on some store call Abt Electronics. It's one store out in Chicago, but I wish they could expand and buy out Fry's. The Sales people over there have a salary rather then hourly wage and they train their staff 2-4 weeks rather then on-the-job.
    •  
      CommentAuthoryeahyeah
    • CommentTimeJun 21st 2012
    No stock in the buildings, they change the pay structure once a year from sup lvl down. You have upper management quitting along with anyone else who can find another job that pays close to what they are making with frys. Place has been rolling around the drain for over a year now and i hope that they are out of business asap.
  3.  permalink
    I was in the Austin store on Saturday afternoon. It was clean but I was shocked at how poorly stocked the store was! Walking down the isles it appeared that over 2/3s of the shelves/hangers were empty. Not only that but the store was noticeably devoid of customers. I went home and told my wife that I have a feeling that Fry's is on it's way out, just like Computer City, CompUSA, Circuit City, and Ultimate Electronics. Too bad. Best Buy will be next.
  4.  permalink
    Must be the location. In Vegas the Fry's is always well stocked and packed. Plenty of associates buzzing around asking people if they need help. The store in Puente Hills, CA was pretty similar. The one in Manhattan Beach, CA is a different story. If it wasn't for the sign on top I would never have assumed it was a Fry's based on trashy it looked inside and out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJun 29th 2012
    Guest: I just read up on some store call Abt Electronics. It's one store out in Chicago, but I wish they could expand and buy out Fry's. The Sales people over there have a salary rather then hourly wage and they train their staff 2-4 weeks rather then on-the-job.

I agree. I think the number one problem with Frys is the whole commission thang. If you pay people by how much they sell, they will lie through their teeth for that extra sale. Pay them a DECENT salary or hourly wage...and the focus will shift from "how can I sell more" to "how can I help the customer more". When dealing with public....how you treat said public should be the number one focus....definately not the case with Frys... as evident with the customer hatred so often seen here.
  5.  permalink
    Well Said. TK to You !
  6.  permalink
    skullywag: I think the number one problem with Frys is the whole commission thang. If you pay people by how much they sell, they will lie through their teeth for that extra sale. Pay them a DECENT salary or hourly wage...and the focus will shift from "how can I sell more" to "how can I help the customer more". When dealing with public....how you treat said public should be the number one focus....definately not the case with Frys... as evident with the customer hatred so often seen here.

Sadly, commission is the only way Fry's can stay afloat these days with it's antiquated business model.
  7.  permalink
    I agree on the whole pay thing as I am as salesmen. We're all underpaid, overworked, and undertrained in the departments we work in. Many salesmen in my store are lucky to average $10/hr a week. We all fight over customers. Only difference in that is that most of my coworkers don't bullshit their way through a sale. Some do, most don't where I reside as a comment to skullywag. Most likely just the location and store you guys are going to.
  8.  permalink
    It is hard to keep the shelves full of product when a computer program is ordering your stock for you. Part of the exterior shell to the Webster store collapsed, but they are fixing it and we still seem to be as busy as ever.