Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    How do Sales People when faced with a $0.00 Commission on say a $279.00 15" Ad Piece Laptop, justify to a customer to spend $129.00 or what ever it is on a Fry's Warranty? That is almost 50% of the Product cost! I don't know if a Fry's warranty can be sold on an Apple Computer product, but it seems to be priced higher than even the Apple Care warranty. Now would you rather have Apple Care, or Fry's Care on your new IMac?
  2. Other Topics You Might Like
    Extended Warranty on open items/display item
    Extended Warranty for Sony DSLR
    Extended Warranty- Can I get check for replacement
    Frys Extended Warranty Repair/Replacement - we got nothing from it!!!
    Fry's Extended Warranty
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJun 23rd 2012
    "This laptop is really a piece of junk. You need our Fry's PSC to protect you when it breaks."  

Why would you buy an Apple Computer from Fry's when you can get it, along with friendly service, at the Apple Store?
  3.  permalink
    That is the Point. Why Buy any Apple Product from another Retailer, Especially FRY's, when the Apple Store offers Superior Service and Assistance.  
    When the Warranty would exceed close to 50% of the cost of the item, Corporate would create a special PLU for that particular Ad Item, so that the Sales Person could at least offer a Warranty that was reasonably Priced.
  4.  permalink
    PSC on Apple items is around $50-60 cheaper than Applecare.

Apple store does almost nothing in house repair-wise (from personal experience). Rumor is Frys soon will be mandating all service techs to have apple cert so all the work can be done in-house.

Applecare offers no loaner.

"Why Buy any Apple Product from another Retailer, Especially FRY's, when the Apple Store offers Superior Service and Assistance."

Fact is the low supply/high demand for the new Retina MacBooks is why.
  5.  permalink
    "How do Sales People when faced with a $0.00 Commission on say a $279.00 15" Ad Piece Laptop, justify to a customer to spend $129.00 or what ever it is on a Fry's Warranty?"

Would you rather spend $279-300 every year on an ad laptop that breaks down? or spend around 400 out the door with a guaranteed 3 years and when it does break down your going to get an upgrade as they will more than likely be out of that item.
  6.  permalink
    Has the mandatory Apple Certs for Techs already gone into effect? Or do they just give you 30 days to get it? At the San Diego store, there are only two Techs that are Apple Certified (The DM and one other Tech) and it seems good enough since I rarely see people bring in Macs when I was working there.
  7.  permalink
    Do you know how they "UPGRADE" you? They make a call to that particular department and request a Discontinued or Open Box model to be brought to the Service Department because they need to do a warranty exchange. The DSC would then grab a salesman to "Find something, We Need to Get RID of" And that would usually only be AFTER 3 ATTEMPTS to Fix the SAME Problem.  

Some Upgrade, but that is how Fry's does it.
  8.  permalink
    There is no way to sell a PSC or upgrade someone coming in for the sub-$300 laptops. Fry's best bet is to stop offering them because it brings in unprofitable cheap customers and resellers. Buying a service contract on a $279 laptop is absurd. At that point, it's so easily replaceable that it makes no sense to insure it.  

If the PSC was 10-15% of the laptop price instead of 30+%, Fry's would sell many more PSCs and make more total money.
  9.  permalink
    They should also have lowered the price of the PSC if the item is on sale. I lost commission on that because one guy came in a week later after the sale is over and the price was for the PSC was still the same. I think Staples or Office Depot does this.
  10.  permalink
    They use to have Specially Priced PSC's for items that were constantly "On Sale" or a Special Purchase, at least in Cameras/Camcorders they did.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 6219
    • CommentTimeJun 24th 2012
    When things were discounted before it used to be "They are in the bracket the laptop is worth." Now it's "we can't afford to warrant it at that price, so now even if it's on sale we sell the performance service contract at the full price of the item." I'm sure at $120 for only 2 year from laptops $300 to $399 fry's can afford it.

This is the problem. Fry's is going to at best give you a pro-rated amount of what you paid for the item and warrantyl So why but it???
  11.  permalink
    I think the best way to avoid this conundrum is to make customers feel as retarded as possible about getting such a piece of shit laptop. The ones on sale for under $300 almost always carry those piss poor AMD fusion and Intel Celeron Processors that can barely do jack shit after about a year of regular use. Some people have a legitimate excuse for getting them (eg. temporary replacement for stolen laptop, a gift for your cousin in your third world country of origin, needed but for EXTREMElY LIMITED use, etc.), but others getting it for their own primary use would be much better off if they were upgraded to a system carrying an intel PDC or higher.
  12.  permalink
    Remember when you were a little SHIT, and saving your allowance, work money to get something you really wanted and not just have Mom and Dad buy it for you, but you worked for it?  

I am sure that there are some kids let's say that this may be their first laptop, and that this was the most they could afford. And they earned the money themselves and YOU want to Make Them Feel RETARDED?
  13.  permalink
    Frenchy Fry: Remember when you were a little SHIT, and saving your allowance, work money to get something you really wanted and not just have Mom and Dad buy it for you, but you worked for it?  

I am sure that there are some kids let's say that this may be their first laptop, and that this was the most they could afford. And they earned the money themselves and YOU want to Make Them Feel RETARDED?

Most of these little shits you are referring to are probably spending a longer time saving up for a gaming laptop instead. You can get a decent enough laptop between $400-500 (some i3's and PDC's, and AMD A4's will go on sale in the $300 range),
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    "Nice" (but typical Fry's drone) attitude expressed by no_more_mr_nice_fry. That's the number one reason to not do business with Fry's.
  14.  permalink
    ObiWhine, I show utmost politeness and honesty towards my customers as long as they aren't being rude and/or are begging me to pull out unauthorized discounts out of thin air. If I sense that the customer knows what they are doing when they go for the $200 range laptop, then I'll let them have it without any if's and's or but's. However, you do get a lot of customers that come into the store who have no clue what the hell they are doing to buy those and sometimes need to be saved from themselves.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2012
    no_more_mr_nice_fry: ObiWhine, I show utmost politeness and honesty towards my customers as long as they aren't being rude and/or are begging me to pull out unauthorized discounts out of thin air. If I sense that the customer knows what they are doing when they go for the $200 range laptop, then I'll let them have it without any if's and's or but's. However, you do get a lot of customers that come into the store who have no clue what the hell they are doing to buy those and sometimes need to be saved from themselves.

Wonder why I doubt you "show utmost politeness and honesty towards my customers as long as they aren't being rude"?  
    If you want a CHEAP laptop...buy it form Wally World. They will "LET" you buy it whether you "know what you are doing" or not.