Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

1.  permalink
    For the past couple of weeks, it seems like our inventory has hit an all time low. Our laptop cage now has multiple empty shelves and its definitely not because more laptops are being moved outside the cage. We now barely have jack shit when it comes to monitors and literally almost all but a few of our projectors are still out of stock (most of the ones in stock are BX anyway). We've been getting less and less shipments of anything but mostly our bottom of the barrel loss leader candidates and it's really screwing us over. Is it just my store or has everyone been having this problem?  

I'm really tired of losing customers because we can't seem to carry what we allegedly sell.
  2.  permalink
    I stopped by a Frys and was talking with a car audio guy. He was saying that Frys had disputes with lot of their vendors. The inventory was noticeably low since they keep most the stuff on the floor. And this is all within half a years span.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012
    Guest: ...Frys had disputes with lot of their vendors.

hmmmm....imagine that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2012 edited
    Could be an Internal "Cash Flow" problem. In other words, less money coming in to pay the suppliers. Results in 30-60 days late paying, suppliers begin to place credit and shipping holds until payments are current. Then credit lines are reduced, as the vendors begin to get nervous they may not get paid should something happen with the company. ( Like maybe a Pending Lawsuit, with a large Payout? )  
    Yep, makes you go hmmmm......
  3.  permalink
    Frys does not buy on credit but negotiates the best up front price instead. Frys owns all its inventory, which is why older items go on clearance and stay around forever until they sell, instead of being sent back to the mfg. Frys plays hardball with its vendors, using sales as a manipulation device.
  4.  permalink
    It's not just your store. Our store has lots of items that are low stock or no stock. It seems like the company is slowly dying. Even those of us who liked working at Fry's are now trying to find new jobs.
  5.  permalink
    I have a few friends in neighboring stores in SoCal. PC techs and car audio install are diverting business outside to make money on the side since they can no longer cut a good paycheck. That's what Fry's gets for fostering this kind of hustling and undercutting competitive culture. Frys shouldn't have treated their employees like crap for the past couple years. Some years back, it was a place to make good money, now it is all stress compounded with consolidation and none of the benefits of the profitability. A slow death is inevitable. Randy should offload it while he can before he bleeds more money.
  6.  permalink
    Why would Fry's load up on ad pieces and low margin junk if money were short? Fry's is going in a slow death spiral. The stores are ghost towns, flooded with salesmen and sales are down double digit numbers year over year.
  7.  permalink
    My paycheck is still good enough to live on but not good enough to make future plans like buying property and all of that. But it's a retail job so I guess it's to be expected. I just wish the pay structure was more straight forward and honest. For salesmen, get rid of the tier. It's stupid that $1,000 items sometimes pay $0 when $20 items pay a buck. I know it's based on profit percentage but the commission structure should go back to a straight percentage of an items GP.

For supervisors; if you don't want to pay them commission and just screw them over then you'll have a hard time finding people to run the day-to-day operations in your company. Good luck getting the salemenvisors in D2, D5, and D7 to maintain anything in the department. Why would I want to be a supervisor? And since this company isn't growing I might as well work for Walmart. At least we could move up to management in one of their gazillion stores.

The worst part is what the customers are going through. Every week there are ad errors that are completely Fry's fault. I know that they aren't done on purpose but they make us look pathetic. Plus what was mentioned above about us being out of so many things. When customers come in over and over again only for us to be out of what they want; guess what happens? They don't come back. Good job home office. Good job holding out with that vendor to get a better price on those ink cartridges. Now the customer that wanted to but can't buy it from us will buy it online. And what's more? They might buy EVERYTHING online from now on.

Employees are now so disillusioned that even the long time employees ignore and mistreat customers. Employees are the people that interact with your customers. And you depend on customers to make money. Shouldn't the people that deal with the customers be happy and well treated? If you don't treat your employees well, you are telling them that Fry's doesn't care about the employee. So why would the employee care about Fry's? Now as a result of this person not liking their job, they will be less likely to treat the customer well, since they don't believe in the company. GIVE THEM SOMETHING TO BELIEVE IN RANDY. I'm not saying that it used to be heaven and now it's hell. Some things have gotten better and some have gotten worse.

Now I even have my own supervisors telling me how much they hate their jobs. How they want to go back to school and good for them! But it reflects poorly on you John, Randy, and Kathy. Even you Dave. I'm not saying that cashiers need to make $15 per hour and salesmen and supervisors $50,000 to $100,000 per year. I'm just saying that once you had them believing in you and now you have lost them. And now they are abandoning you, just like your customers are abandoning you.
  8.  permalink
    Guest: When customers come in over and over again only for us to be out of what they want; guess what happens? They don't come back. Good job home office. Good job holding out with that vendor to get a better price on those ink cartridges. Now the customer that wanted to but can't buy it from us will buy it online. And what's more? They might buy EVERYTHING online from now on.
    This made me laugh. I'm not sure if it's just us, or everyone but we're out of 50% of our Epson inks. I worked at a major office supply chain before Fry's and we were *never* out of more than one or two inks at a time. The customer who goes to OfficeMax, Staples, etc to buy the ink Fry's doesn't have might well go there for his next computer too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeAug 8th 2012
    To Guest 40928: That was Accurate, Precise and to the Point. Well Written ! Seriously, Your words belong on a " Tell Randy " Form.. Good Job...:face-smile:
  9.  permalink
    "PC techs and car audio install are diverting business outside to make money on the side since they can no longer cut a good paycheck."

What business are we talking about here?
  10.  permalink
    Guest: "PC techs and car audio install are diverting business outside to make money on the side since they can no longer cut a good paycheck."  

What business are we talking about here?
    The business of installing/fixing stuff. The tech basically says "Fry's will charge you $200 to do this repair, but I can do it for you after I get off work for $100...". Instead of the associate getting a small commission on $200, they get to keep the entire $100 (tax free as well). It's a sweet deal for both tech and customer, but Fry's misses out on money which is why Fry's will fire you for it.
  11.  permalink
    Chris_Tomkinson:
    Guest: When customers come in over and over again only for us to be out of what they want; guess what happens? They don't come back. Good job home office. Good job holding out with that vendor to get a better price on those ink cartridges. Now the customer that wanted to but can't buy it from us will buy it online. And what's more? They might buy EVERYTHING online from now on.
    This made me laugh. I'm not sure if it's just us, or everyone but we're out of 50% of our Epson inks. I worked at a major office supply chain before Fry's and we were *never* out of more than one or two inks at a time. The customer who goes to OfficeMax, Staples, etc to buy the ink Fry's doesn't have might well go there for his next computer too.

The Epson ink issue is outside of Fry's responsibility, actually. There was a plant disaster in Mexico, hence why no Epson ink has been coming in.  

what perplexes me far more is why so many of our projectors are completely out of stock. This is fracken rediculous!
  12.  permalink
    Has Fry's found out and fired anyone for doing outside deals like what Chris has stated?
  13.  permalink
    no_more_mr_nice_fry:what perplexes me far more is why so many of our projectors are completely out of stock. This is fracken rediculous!
    We have a few, maybe 1/5th of what we theoretically sell. I go months without selling a projector though. I don't like selling them because projector customers ask lots of stupid questions and have unrealistic expectations ("What do you mean this $399 BenQ won't make a good home theater projector?!") and most of the time dont buy anything. If they do, it's a $5 sale maybe. We recently took ours out of backstock, spider wrapped them, and put them on the shelf.  

Its probably because it's such a low demand item compared to computers or printers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 7011
    • CommentTimeAug 9th 2012
    There are lots of employees that do all kinds of shady things that violate the handbook. If you are in good with the local management taking business outside of Fry's isn't the worse violation as compared to some other things going on such as selling new items as incomplete or as used. Sales associates and customers openly exchange contact information all the time. It can be somewhat of a grey area in proving what business belongs to Fry's and what does not.
  14.  permalink
    Hahahahaha I cannot believe all you super smart ass Fry's employees haven't figured it out yet. First you sit in this forum and talk all kinds of crap about your fellow employees whether they are above or below you. You think that like you nobody really cares about the company on this message board, nobody who’s anybody reads it anyways, so you let loose, fire all canons and disrespect supervisors, sales associates and even the owners who have so graciously given you a gainful means of employment and think nothing of it. And on top of that, the majority of you (just read all the comments posted) feel its ok to disrespect the most important part of the whole perpetual organization, "the customers" which by the way is the only reason you even have a job. Their purchases actually pay your wages, just in case you don’t understand or are too ignorant to know how the process works. No customers = no jobs! No full time, no part time, no nothing! It’s really that simple. Instead of all of you working together to help build a better company you are all so ready and hellbent to conspire together to run it into the ground, and help bury it. Yea I think if I was the owner of Fry’s I would be handing out raises and bonuses to everyone, just for all the effort you Frys employees put forth “refusing” to find ways of improving performance, for the utmost lackluster ways that you do your jobs and your undying lack of customer support. By taking on a self-centered “entitled attitude” that all of you deserve all kinds of perks, benefits, high commissions and high wages, just because you work the hours and schedules you have accepted. You feel you are entitled to the same benefits the owners of the organization have that ability to enjoy, but you are not even willing to give a customer what "they deserve" the most, which is a satisfactory buying experience. Whether a customer comes in to buy a $.99 cent item or a $10,000-dollar item they deserve to be treated exactly the same. With the utmost respect and dignity, because they have come to buy and spend their hard-earned money, that they too have slaved at their jobs to make! Period. It doesn’t matter if they come in to pay full price, or for a sale item, a closeout or use a promo code, they are still a customer and the store’s only source of income. The better you treat them as they walk through the door the more money they are apt to spend, as the store makes money it will eventually find its way back to the pockets of the employees, by getting more hours, raises and maybe even bonuses for jobs well done. Greeting and approaching customers with a warm smile and a genuine interest in helping them find what they are looking for, opens up the doors to unlimited sales possibilities. But if you are so caught up in your own entitlement issues and can’t separate reality from fantasy you won’t be able to think right and be positive. And then the opportunity disappears and that person that just walked in, you know the one you so quickly "stereo typed" as just another whiny customer that just can’t afford to buy anything of value anyways, or maybe that looks like they are there to steal something, in reality they may have walked in to your store intending to purchase a high dollar item. If you put on your professional panties that morning and helped them, it would give you that nice commission check you so desperately need to pay your bills. But no, you in all your wisdom, know better. You look the other way when they look to you for help, besides they aren’t in my department, so you decide they are not worth your effort. You continue talking to your fellow sales associate and you both decide to pretend you did not see them looking at you. You don’t have to be nice, courteous and helpful to every customer, especially if they don’t know what they looking for right? I mean how dare they get mad at me when they don’t know what they are talking about, they are just plain rude. But because you are better than they are, and at that moment you have forgotten anything about customer service you had ever learned, you were not about to humble yourself so that you could put food on your table. Shit you aren’t even willing to do the job you are being paid to perform, even though when you applied you sat through the whole application process and during the interviews you most likely lied and made promises about how good an employee you would be, you were a people person and great at customer service and how you would be that employee that adds benefit to the company. You signed up for and accepted the responsibility to perform your job duties whatever they required. You needed a job, you had to pay your bills, you wanted to be a positive influence and a good American worker, but because you feel you are entitled to everything you haven’t put any effort into working for, now that hot sale and commission is on its way out the door, heading to another store where someone else who does understand what it means to take pride in their work ethic will take that extra effort and show a little or a lot patience and professionalism, and that associate will end up closing that deal. Everyone will be happy at that store. Because they remember what they are all there for to “WORK”! They put forth their best efforts in everything they put their hearts and minds to do and get rewarded accordingly. But not you guys with your uneducated, ignorant, no tolerance entitled attitude, It your fault the customers are leaving. Its your fault hours are being cut, Its your fault the store is doing badly and you still think you deserve more than you are getting. “IDIOTS!” to the very end! Remember you also a consumer of goods, and a customer at some point whether it’s at a retail store, a drive thru or a fine restaurant, if you are paying money you are helping someone else to have a job. And you too deserve to be treated with respect and dignity. If you don’t get the message yet maybe you should go work in the fields picking berries for next to nothing. At least the people that do work in the fields don’t have any misconceptions about reality, they are there to work, to feed their families and pay their bills. And if they work hard enough they may even make the equivalent of minimum wage pay. Then they can go to Fry’s to spend their extremely hard earned dollars, just to have an asshole associate like you guys treat them like shit because its not their job or they don’t make anything off of that sale. “Fry employees” they don’t appreciate or understand how good they really have it. Go suck a big one!
  15.  permalink
    Wall of text. Skip
  16.  permalink
    I bet that's your reasoning to every problem in your life. Or maybe it exactly like the wall of text says!
    •  
      CommentAuthorMLS
    • CommentTimeMar 26th 2017
    Or you can just not spam the forums with your seething rage and lack of understanding. It's counter-intuitive and just once is enough...
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 4093
    • CommentTimeApr 24th 2017
    the time it took you to write that wall of text is probably the time I spend on this website in a year.
  17.  permalink
    Guest 55778; you have said it very well. I will say 90% of the lowlife idiots that post on here talking shit about Fry's either got fired because they suck, or quit because they could not handle retail. Hell, most of them probably flip burgers or make no more than a bottom bitch salesperson. Don't like Fry's? Nobody cares. Nobody wants to hear your theories, or stories about how better off you are. Live your fucking life.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 898
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2017
    "Don't like Fry's? Nobody cares. Nobody wants to hear your theories, or stories about how better off you are."

That's pretty much 90% of the "forum" though.
Add your comments