Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    Recently, and pretty often I feel as if I do my job and sell things, sell the warranties, and generally am good help to have around...but it seems as if I am getting screwed all of the time because of ignorant co-workers or dumb management. I'm not talking of your typical snake-ing of a deal, or someone returning something and you losing money, I'm talking about really dumb stuff, let me know if it is just my store...  

Exhibit A: Black friday weekend I sell a Sony FZ with a 5 year and a wireless install, about 50ish in commission. I see one say that the wireless install was returned, no big deal - 10$ hit, not going to cry about it, but upon a little investigation on why it was returned I was told that I used the wrong PLU and that the free install was under a different PLU. Whatever the reason was, I supposedly did it wrong...or so I thought. The next day after that, the whole laptop and warranty was returned, another 40ish hit...I then ask what it was about because that really seemed weird that the same customer returns both items on different days. I come to find out that the douchebag who was doing our wireless installs is basically going to the houses, telling them they need to buy all kinds of extra shit and that he cant install it until they do, which is complete BS because all they need for a damn wireless install is what comes in the box and a computer able to connect to a wireless network. So the frusterated annoying customer returns everything at my expense because some asshole at my work can't figure out how to install a simple network. The thing I don't get is why the salesmen do their job, sell the product with warranty, wireless installs, ect...and we are still the end of the stick when a cashier fucks up or returns doesn't call us when we are getting a major return and they come back to another salesman and re-buy it from someone else under bad information or something that could be easily fixed. In my case, this was completely out of my control, and for 50$ I would drove to her house myself and installed the fuckin network. I just don't get it.  

It isn't my fault that Fry's hires incompetent help and it really saddens me when I have to give my customers my personal cell phone number just because I know how horrible most our cashiers/returns associates/service techs/salesmen/insert position here/management are. I get calls from these people bitching about stuff that I have to help them with if I want to be able to keep the money that I earned in the first place. It seems like a far fucking stretch to make as little bread as we do as salespeople. Its also fucking sad that I work part time and I end up in the top 5 sales consistently. This all speaks to how sad my store is, since we are such low ticket and so strapped for good help, it turns the salesmen that should have more customers than they know what to do with into calculating greedy idiots.  

Sorry if this is rantish, just kinda PO'ed about the whole thing, regular commission based sales is usually not THIS bad (I know, I used to sell cars, and that shit is BAD)
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 15th 2007
    Slave to the man! Thats what we all are!Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007
    The sales person is the most important part of the process, they connect the product to the customer. Complex products don't sell themselves. "Well only at walmart."i am a worm.
  2.  permalink
    worm:The sales person is the most important part of the process, they connect the product to the customer. Complex products don't sell themselves. "Well only at walmart."

Well hopefully I think you are agreeing with me. If this is true, then why is it we get the shit end of the stick when it comes to almost anything?
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    What sickens me is the fact that customers claim to hate lying salespeople but in the end they seem to end up buying things from them. Just makes it seem to make it on top at my store, you have to lie, lie and lie to the customer. I've heard too many salespeople lie to make a sale. but well, it's not bad to be in the middle pack and giving honest opinions on items rather than lying or just reciting things you hear other sales people say without actually knowing the product or worse just always asking other sales associates the technical questions to close your sale and give them nothing in return. Guess why I'm more inclined nowadays to walk away from them when they ask. :) I have my own bills to pay.I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    m_tux:What sickens me is the fact that customers claim to hate lying salespeople but in the end they seem to end up buying things from them. Just makes it seem to make it on top at my store, you have to lie, lie and lie to the customer. I've heard too many salespeople lie to make a sale. but well, it's not bad to be in the middle pack and giving honest opinions on items rather than lying or just reciting things you hear other sales people say without actually knowing the product or worse just always asking other sales associates the technical questions to close your sale and give them nothing in return. Guess why I'm more inclined nowadays to walk away from them when they ask. :) I have my own bills to pay.

They end up buying from them because they have no other choice. What can they do, ask for a different salesman? Good luck.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthordgcaste
    • CommentTimeDec 27th 2007
    I feel your pain buddy!  

You are more intelligent and committed than 99% of the people around you, it seems. Leverage this fact. If it means giving your cell away, and telling them "the guy doing the install is probably a moron give me a call if he gives you a hard time", do it. There's really no other way to be, unless you want to default to being THE moron that fucks people over and makes them unhappy.  

Being honest with people gets through. Telling people not to get what they don't need gets through. What will it take to get to the top 2? Can you do it? Get promoted, soon your top level managers will realize you're more capable than your dimwitted middle managers. It's the way it always is. People get all wrapped up around the axle in the small scale of things, and don't realize they're making it better for everybody on the large scale, such as you are.  

It might be a big stretch to what you're getting paid for, but your work ethic is going to pay off, even if you get fucked twice in the meantime. It never pays off to be mediocre, unless you're in the military :-)