Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007
    So you're shopping last minute and decide to be extra generous and buy the big-screen HDTV, or maybe the DSLR camera I've wanted for a long time...oops, sorry. That's not meant for you.  

In the excitement of the moment, the store clerk begins to rattle off the extended warranty options he recommends for purchases like yours. Of course he does; that's how the store makes money on electronics that keep falling in price. Should you bite?  

The short answer: no. Consumer advocates have long said most warranties are not worth the peace of mind they supposedly bring. You're buying an insurance policy to cover repair costs should the item break after the manufacturer's warranty ends. But Consumer Reports and PC World say tests of hundreds of products indicate more are reliable and fairly durable every year. And if they should need repair, the cost is often on par with what you've paid for the warranty, according to Consumer Reports.  

You're better off spending the time researching which brands and models have performed best in consumer tests than spending extra dollars in a gamble that the one you choose will have problems.  

When plasma and LCD HDTVs were new and the prices were sky high, Consumer Reports recommended opting for extended warranties because the technology was untested and the TVs cost so much. But the prices have dropped, and Consumer Reports' latest reader survey finds that in the last three years, HDTV owners report few problems with their TV sets.  

So CR now recommends saying no to TV warranties. (The magazine makes one exception, advising consideration of extended warranties on rear-projection TVs, which are three times more likely to need repairs than other TVs.)  

Meanwhile, J.D. Power & Associates' 2007 Major Home Appliance Survey of white goods such as dishwashers, ovens, and washers/dryers finds most so reliable that no warranties are recommended on those purchases either. In the first two years of ownership, one-tenth of owners report problems with their appliances. And most of those problems can be fixed by reading the manual or seeking help on the web.  

This holiday season, your best bet may be to do what CR Senior Editor Tod Marks recommends: Put the money you would have spent on an added warranty in the bank so that you'll have it in case you need to repair your latest electronics purchase.  

Copied from Yahoo!  
    http://tech.yahoo.com/blogs/devlin/20403Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Olevia TV-Maker Files For Bankruptcy. Goodbye, Warranties.
    Extended Warranty- Can I get check for replacement
    Frys Extended Warranty Repair/Replacement - we got nothing from it!!!
    Extended Warranty for Sony DSLR
    Fry's Employees Lie About Making Commission On Products & Warranties
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeDec 16th 2007 edited
    Fry's doesn't sell warranties, they sell service contracts. They are very distinct things. Many prefer service contracts that offer spill and accidental damage protection as they are more valuable than a general service contract which covers only wear and tear.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEvil_Flea
    • CommentTimeDec 17th 2007
    Don't buy Fry's extended warranties/service contracts or anything else they want to call it they make commision on it and plus its like 1000% profit I heard!
    •  
      CommentAuthordash
    Warranties should be illegal. In other countries you get a free one year in store warranty. That is the law.
    •  
      CommentAuthorEvil_Flea
    Big Companies like Samsung have 3 year warranties the Fry's Employees dont' want you to know this!
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    Yes samsung has 3 year warranties on their monitors(most) and honestly I dont even push them on monitors..and yes I hear other associates calling the service contract on monitors to be a "replacement warranty" to get the sale which it is not.. yes if we cannot get it fixed it will be replaced but not instantly as in printers under $150. I do however do push them on items I believe that the service contract is worth it.. laptops and sometimes desktops.. they aren't priced too bad.. though I would go 3yrs max.. 3yrs min.  

but on a side note.. where have you heard that service contracts are 1000% profit? i would love to make that kind of money.. :) especially after paying the salesperson, supervisors, and insurance company their monies.I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeDec 21st 2007
    Almost all electronic items come with a manufacturer's warranty, but then you have to box them up and send them in. This is something most people don't want to do. But my dishwasher happens to be broken... Its been that way for more than 2 years, So... I guess not so reliable after all.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFlower Bee
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008 edited
    :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorNE_Frys
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2008
    " DVD was infected with a virus" Exactly how does one infect the drive or a disc with a virus? Did they reburn it for you and place it into the drive? wait.. Why would you have a dvd in the drive when you give it up for repair?  

Side gripe, it is "their" and not "there" [Don't belive what the seller tells you read there policy and don't purchase there warranty.  
    ]  

This is a pretty shitty story... Regarding your problems.. the cd tray cover comes off? That seems to be a design defect... The laptop getting hot is a relative issue... I am curious what the "and more" were.  

It seriously took them months to fix and you agreed? Even the most pimply faced youth at Geeksquad can do better than that! We don't have that sort of turn around, but then again our techies are a bit on the smart side. This is just inept management if it's true.  

Regarding warrenties in general, the only one I have seen worth its salt would be Best Buy's "accidental drop and damage" for laptops. That's worth the extra hundred or so.
    •  
      CommentAuthorfridge
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008
    Flower Bee,  

How about you mention the part where you would not take the laptop from the service department when the only signature that was asked of you was to sign that you picked it up?  

How about you mention that this is the second laptop that Fry's has given you that you've broken the hinges on?  

How about you mention when you tried to take all the original paperwork from the service department claiming it was yours so we had no record of anything?  

Or how about when you pulled out that tape recorder and told the service guys and the police you were secretly taping the conversation?  

I don't know you personally but I know of the incident and that there is more than one side of the story.
  2.  permalink
    theres always more to it then what people tell you.  
    i got the psc on my computer, i havnt had to take it in yet but i know eventually i will and it will pay of.i love it when they call me big papa
    •  
      CommentAuthorNE_Frys
    fridge:Flower Bee,  

How about you mention the part where you would not take the laptop from the service department when the only signature that was asked of you was to sign that you picked it up?  

How about you mention that this is the second laptop that Fry's has given you that you've broken the hinges on?  

How about you mention when you tried to take all the original paperwork from the service department claiming it was yours so we had no record of anything?  

Or how about when you pulled out that tape recorder and told the service guys and the police you were secretly taping the conversation?  

I don't know you personally but I know of the incident and that there is more than one side of the story.

Epic lol.. :face-devil-grin:
  3.  permalink
    Flower Bee:Hello  

I purchased a laptop at Fry's Electronics at Orange County and I also purchased a 5 yr warranty. The laptop started to have problems it will get very hot, CD Tray cover comes off easily and more... It would take Fry's months to fix my laptop meanwhile I had to barrow a loaner. Months later I received a call from Fry's telling me that everything was replaced. When I arrived to pick it up I notice that my brand new laptop had scratches on top/edges of unit, DVD was infected with a virus, user log had someone's name on it. I immediately reported this to the supervisor he looked like he didn't care and return the unit back to have it fixed. I had to wait months just to get my laptop fixed and I went home using the same loaner. Couple of month later I get a call from Fry's telling me that my laptop was repaired and parts replaced. When i arrived in Fry's I couldn't belive what I was seeing :face-crying:the laptop's hinges were broken. I yelled at them telling the employees that my laptop was brand new only used a couple of days before it started having problems. They all had stupid faces and didn't know what to do. The store manger was never around I had to call the Corp office to get some kind of help. Two Weeks later after leaving a message with the Corp office I get a call back from the store manger. He started to yell at me like if it was my fault I told him that I want a new laptop because this incident is a year old and I have the right to receive a new computer. He said no !! After trying over a year he gave me a new one.  

March 03, 2008 my computer was taken back for repair at fry's. The hinges were broken and had other problems.... On April of 2008 I get a call from fry's telling me that everything was repaired and replaced. I arrived and I notice that nothing was done to the computer they argued saying that they replaced the battery. I told them that I wrote down the serial number and pictures were taken it's the same battery. Than I was told that the warranty expired , Another employee that work at the electronics stated that I have 90 days, Store manger tells me that I have to pay for the cost. All this was happing in the same day and I was being told by different people. I told them that I'm not going to sign any paper because nothing got fixed. I was told by the supervisor and the store manger if you don't signed the paper than you can't take it home. I looked in the bottom of my computer and I notice that fry's electronics tempered with the S/N and P/N sticker ( Serial Number - Prouduct Number) It was half pulled out. :face-crying: I just don't understand I have 5 years of warranty and there saying that it's expired!! I knew all this problem was going to happen so :face-devil-grin: I called the Police and the Store Manger was upset. I explained to the officers what they were doing and that my computer was staying with them because I wouldn't sign there paper. The officers couldn't do anything but advised me that this could go to court. Fry's kept my computer and I went home. If I don't sign there stupid paper than I can't take my computer home.  

My advice is first request for the store policy they keep it in the back where the electronic is. It's called performance services contract term & conditions ( Customer information sheet ). Don't belive what the seller tells you read there policy and don't purchase there warranty.

I think you need help. I don't think the service guys at Fry's can't deal with all that pressure you put on them.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Your english is poor and it sounds like whining.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    I hate that stuff.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    NE_Frys:Regarding warrenties in general, the only one I have seen worth its salt would be Best Buy's "accidental drop and damage" for laptops. That's worth the extra hundred or so.

The total cost to actually "replace the laptop completely" when something goes wrong "out weights the cost of repair, parts, labor and time".  

Fry's warranty sucks!i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFlower Bee
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008 edited
    :face-angel:
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    Fry's only cares for the best customer service. They wouldn't expect you to buy anything if you were upset.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    You shouldn't complain here. We're pretty much all Fry's associates, and I doubt anyone cares.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFlower Bee
    • CommentTimeMay 10th 2008 edited
    :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Flower Bee:That's right this site is pretty much associated w/Fry's.

Umm... no.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorfridge
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    No, this site is definitely not associated w/ Fry's.  

But when you come to a forum w/ Fry's Employees who deal with customer every day who expect us to roll out the red carpet and shower them with rose petals because your machine doesn't work, you will get little sympathy from us.  

We are all human here. We make mistakes. We also have good intentions and want to help our customers, but can only go so far that's in our limits of either our title or bound to things such as service contracts. We can't just throw new laptops at you when you keep breaking yours and make up stories about what we've done or haven't done.  

And I don't know of any rational human being who would call the police on someone over the fact that you don't want to sign a piece of paper to pickup our computer.  

What a waste of their time and a waste of the city's resources.  

I hope things will work out for you, and knowing Fry's corporate I'm sure they will, but do us a favor and tone down on the paranoia a bit.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2008
    Flower Bee::face-smile:  

info

That's the spirit.
  4.  permalink
    Flower Bee:That's right this site is pretty much associated w/Fry's.

Are you really this stupid or are you just retarded?