Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcscottm
    • CommentTimeSep 2nd 2012
    Can someone please explain to me why when I make a purchase under $60, I need to have it rung up as a credit (they can ring it up as a debit, but they have to find a manager, which adds another 5-10 minutes to the transaction) or over $60, it needs to be rung up as debit?  

Also when the transaction gets rung up as debit (where I type in my 4 digit pin), the associate needs to see my drivers license. Why do you need to see my driver's license when I'm entering in my pin # ?
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    credit cards
    No longer req' to ask cust' about Fry's Credit Cards
    Lost Credit Card
    Fry's owns First Electronic Corporation dba First Electronic Bank aka Fry's Credit Card
    Credit card
    •  
      CommentAuthorSpace7478
    • CommentTimeSep 7th 2012
    cscottm: Can someone please explain to me why when I make a purchase under $60, I need to have it rung up as a credit (they can ring it up as a debit, but they have to find a manager, which adds another 5-10 minutes to the transaction) or over $60, it needs to be rung up as debit?  

Also when the transaction gets rung up as debit (where I type in my 4 digit pin), the associate needs to see my drivers license. Why do you need to see my driver's license when I'm entering in my pin # ?

As far I was told they do it because of some debit scams in the past. The limit is $65, and yeah, it's a pain with all the Sups. They shouldn't need your driver's licence since you actually use your pin though...!
  2.  permalink
    I can't speak to the DL issue, but the Debit / Credit crap is purely a cash saving tactic. When Fry's processes a credit transaction, they are charged by the carrier (let's say Visa) a small percentage of the total. Debit, on the other hand, is a flat fee (let's say ten cents). The cutoff (somewhere around $60) is where the percentage becomes more than the flat rate. POS is designed to select whichever method will be cheaper for the company (and make it a pain in the ass if the customer would like the opposite).  

Fry's isn't the only company to do this. Go to an ARCO gas station and you'll see they always charge a $0.35 ATM fee, and don't do credit at all. Go to Carl's Jr., and you'll see that going credit is free, while debit is an additional dollar. Different merchants handle this in different ways. You'd think a big box electronics store with revenues in the millions wouldn't go to such great lengths to cut expenses, but hey, it's Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeSep 10th 2012
    I am all about cash back credit cards. I have the costco amex card I get 3% cash back for filling gas. 2% for fast food and restaurants, and 1% for everything else. Why not take advantage of the fee they charge merchants?