Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorNewbie2007
    • CommentTimeDec 18th 2007
    Hi all,  
    I have a few newbie questions  

I am starting after the holidays as a part-time computer technician. What are the chances of becoming full time to get benefits (medical). I tried asking but they would not say.  

I just wanted a guess like a couple months, years, or when lightning strikes me because we do not want to pay full-time benefits when we don't have to etc...  

Anyone hired as part-time tech then became a full-time tech how long did it take?  

Part-time hours? I know it should be around 20-22 hours.  
    What is the typical hours per day? 4-5,6,8 etc. Also any days or certain days (I did put any time or day on the Application but was wondering if they only have the techs come in certain hours or days) I know it will vary but what is the norm for most of the part-timers?  

Also I have a question about the dress code. I know a white shirt & tie but what about the pants?  
    I was looking around and it seems like 98% wear black, a few I seen were dark,dark blue, also a couple I seen had tan,beidge pants.  
    Is there a dress code for the pants? For the 3 interviews a wore black obviously because that is what most of them wore but I would like to wear the tan if possible because of less fuzz, pet hair etc..  

I don't think I will be there long because the pay sucks but I wanted to give it a try to find out exactly what my experience level is, as I never used my computer skills professionaly (only personally for 20 years). I think it should be very easy but maybe could learn a couple new things here and there. If I do learn new things I would need full time  
    because I can not survive on part-time for a long time.  
    I am still looking for other entry computer tech openings but currenty there is none.  

Thanks everyone
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Why do customers waste our time? Ask stupid questions?
    Full-time to Part-time. Frys is nearing the end...
    Full Time -> Part Time
    What are hours like for part time or full time?
    How many hours is Full Time at Fry's in Las vegas, Neavda
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2007
    The chances of getting into full-time varies. It's based on economics think about it.  

Also part time hours can be up to 24 hours. Again there is no guarantee.  

Every day will be 8 hours at least, and most shifts end at 10pm. Your scheduling will vary.  

Its the standard frys dress code plus you get a blue jacket. I wouldn't worry what to wear as no one cares anyway. You are not going clubbing after all.  

Hey stop worrying so fucking much.
  2.  permalink
    And what is the pay if you dont mind me asking...i have a third interview set up with the store manager but hear lot of bad talk about their pay.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeDec 7th 2010
    Guest: And what is the pay if you dont mind me asking...i have a third interview set up with the store manager but hear lot of bad talk about their pay.

The pay is not bad, its $8 an hour!
  3.  permalink
    8hr + shared commission. Last time I talked to my friend at 21, he said they were averaging 12-14hr after factoring in the commission.
  4.  permalink
    how is the commission payed....added hourly every paycheck or once a month, or in a large sum...???

12-14 is not bad at all!!!!!!...
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 9666
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010
    Your check will show both hourly + the commission part. So it's always on the same check and factored in weekly. I believe it's also affected by how you do vs quarterly expectations. So 3 months later it can go up or down depending on how your department does. It's decent pay for retail, but Fry's will crush your soul. Unlike the other departments, your customers are already going to be angry, and they will get more angry as it takes longer to fix there issues. I always had to make sure if it was something that got sent out, that i told them it could take 6-8 weeks, or if you have to order a part, 2-3 weeks. Better to give them worst case scenario and surprise them if it gets back early then promise the world and have your manager hating you and life when the complaints come in.
  5.  permalink
    what do you mean shows commission part???
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeDec 8th 2010 edited
    Guest: Your check will show both hourly + the commission part. So it's always on the same check and factored in weekly. I believe it's also affected by how you do vs quarterly expectations. So 3 months later it can go up or down depending on how your department does. It's decent pay for retail, but Fry's will crush your soul. Unlike the other departments, your customers are already going to be angry, and they will get more angry as it takes longer to fix there issues. I always had to make sure if it was something that got sent out, that i told them it could take 6-8 weeks, or if you have to order a part, 2-3 weeks. Better to give them worst case scenario and surprise them if it gets back early then promise the world and have your manager hating you and life when the complaints come in.

Very true. I always tell customers that anything we do will take 5-7 days if it's something simple and if it's a laptop or something where I can instantly see a part will be ordered, I also say 2-3 weeks. And if it's being sent out, I'll tell them the SECOND I check them in, "it'll have to be sent out, which will take 6-8 weeks, is that okay?" just to feel them out and see if they realize they can ask for a loaner (since we're not allowed to offer them one) just so they can let the shock set in quickly, and ask for a loaner NOW instead of in a half hour once they're about to leave and then I have to call for one then and piss another 20-30 minutes away on that charade.  

About the commission part Guest, the funny thing is that no one in our department seems to really know how it works since the details are so complicated and worked out by management but, essentially, we do two kinds of repairs: warranty work (and we bill some entity in the company for that) and non-warranty work (and we bill the customer for that). A percentage of all that billed work is put in to a commission "pot" for the entire department, then divided up by the total number of hours that everyone in the department works, and then that final number is multiplied by the number of hours you worked that week. So if we made $4,000 in commissions that week and 600 hours were worked, and you worked 36 of those hours, then you would make $6.66 in commission an hour plus your hourly minimum wage. So before taxes you'd be making $14.66 an hour that week, and after taxes it would come to about 12.50/hour. If you're not A+ certified though, you'd be looking at closer to $11.50 an hour, but home office will typically try to screw you out of that extra dollar (for being A+ certified) for the first 3 months or so. It's not an official policy, it's just the way things seem to be done. If you scream and demand loud enough, they might push the paperwork through sooner for that extra $1/hour, but it's rare.  

The only annoying part is that we all get paid from the same pot. So the tech who avoids the counter like it's the bubonic plague, and who never gets any repairs done because they're always busy telling stories about their dog, makes the same as the tech who bills 2K a week and repairs 4 machines every day while getting the phones AND the counter.
  6.  permalink
    Iam a new hire and they started me of at 7.25 plus comission!!!!!!

thats crap...but ima try to sell as much as i can to earn more for the department!, which in time also means more for me
  7.  permalink
    Fry's techs are paid $8/hour base rate + commission. The total commission is an unknown % of the green dollars of the department, and divided among technicians proportionally to how many hours they worked, such that each technician is making the same pseudo-hourly rate.  

Example:  
    The department makes $4000 in green dollars in a week, and the commission % of green dollars is 15%.  
    The pooled commission is therefore $600.  
    There are two techs who work 67 hours total.  
    Tech 1 worked 32 hours. He worked 47.76% of the total hours, and gets that percentage of the commission.  
    Tech 1 makes (32 hours * $8) + ($600 * 47.76%) = $542.56 or $16.96/hour  
    Tech 2 worked 35 hours. He worked 52.24% of the total hours, and gets that percentage of the commission.  
    Tech 2 makes (35 hours * $8) + ($600 * 52.24%) = $593.44 or $16.96/hour  

Except people are too lazy to do the math with Store Master, so no one is quite sure of what the actual % of green is.  

You /can/ do it though. Store Master has that whole GP by Cat/Class report, and it's easy to see what's green dollars and what is not (e.g PG is not, Non-Warranty is, IS is not, Manufacturer's Reimbursement is, Facilitation is not, Delivery is, etc.) If any DSC spent 5 minutes to look at the amount of commission they got and compare it to the total number of green dollars made, the % would be known.  

EDIT: I'd like to redact "too lazy" and put in "too busy." I know I've been too busy to do it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010
    Hey Roflcopter,  

You seem knowledgeable about store master. I have a question: Do we get commissions for PSC work? I've been talking to some people in my department and I've been amazed at how little most people seem to know about how our commissions breakdown. About half say we don't get commissions for green dollar stuff, and the other half say we do. Likewise, about half say we do get commissions for PSC work and the other half say we don't. WTF? Why is there so much confusion about the commission structure?  

If you could shed some light on this, I'd really appreciate it as my supervisor doesn't really seem to know either (or I should say, his opinion conflicts with that of another supervisor who says otherwise).  

Thanks
  8.  permalink
    way to bump a 3 year old thread
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeDec 20th 2010
    Seriously. Threads should automatically become read only after a set amount of time.
  9.  permalink
    to my understanding, techs get % of red & green, sups/manager % of green only
  10.  permalink
    Really? I thought sups only got a % of red dollars? (Red being PSC work, right?)
  11.  permalink
    The commission system for the Sups and Techs is in GREEN DOLLARS ONLY. Not red dollars. God, could you imagine? It would be way too easy to affect your paycheck however you wanted. All you would have to do is spam PSC Labor Rate on PSC quotes or have the IS tech claim he spent 2-3 hours working on every problem. Paychecks could double.  

You get green dollars from Non-Warranty work, Manufacturer Reimbursement, Deliveries, and In-Home Services.  

You get red dollars from Red Carpet, IS Repairs/Maintenance, Loaner Processing Fees, PSC Facilitation Fees, and PSC Repairs.  

Basically the way it works is:  
    For Techs: All of the techs' commission is a % of the total green dollars for the department minus chargebacks. This amount is divided among techs proportionally to how many hours they worked, such that each tech is making the same pseudo-hourly rate.  

For Sups: Sups make a fixed % of green dollars for the department minus chargebacks.  

For DMs: DM's commission is a fixed percentage of green dollars minus chargebacks, a fixed percentage of spread, and a fixed percentage of the unused PSC allocation.  

Sorry it took so long to get back to you gobo. The holidays have been hectic. :(