Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthordoggystyle
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2012
    I am not sure if my store is isolated in this matter however my store location is full of weird people! I recently got hired and everyone that I work with is either older minorities that barely grasp the idea of speaking english , deadbeats in their 40's that are pretty weird as well or weird kids in their 20's. My intention on starting this thread is not to bash a crowd but I am not used to this environment, I am wondering if this applies to all Fry's in general. The store I work at, all the workers are really geeky and you can spot them in the thrift store environment. I am currently looking for new employment as this company is a terrible place to work for in the first place. But I feel fry's is just a giant swap meet that attracts the wrongful crowd, the customers here are ridiculous, about 25% barely speak english and are extremely rude! Am I just unfortunately and got small end of the stick on my location?
  1.  permalink
    Is this store in California ?
    •  
      CommentAuthordoggystyle
    • CommentTimeOct 14th 2012
    Yeah
  2.  permalink
    I worked at Store 15 and everyone was and still is strange. We had the Filipino Mafia running things in Customer Service. Electronics bring out the wierdos.
  3.  permalink
    "We had the Filipino Mafia running things in Customer Service."

They are still there.
  4.  permalink
    I worked at 25. There were some good people in CS, Computers, and A/V, but a lot of strange folks around the store as well. Lots of ridiculous customers, too.
  5.  permalink
    Store 7 has more than a hand full. I remember a couple of months ago I saw a coke head employee walking around the store with his nose bleeding! I simply don't understand why he was hired in the first place. The customers here are strange also, this place simply reeks strange. I cant wait until I get out of here.
    •  
      CommentAuthordiogenes
    • CommentTimeOct 22nd 2012
    Guest: Store 7 has more than a hand full. I remember a couple of months ago I saw a coke head employee walking around the store with his nose bleeding! I simply don't understand why he was hired in the first place. The customers here are strange also, this place simply reeks strange. I cant wait until I get out of here.

Celebrate diversity!
  6.  permalink
    Aw I worked at store 7, I liked the people there. As for the customers....
    •  
      CommentAuthorAviator08
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012
    At my store we just dump them into entertainment sales in software. If they know their ABC's then they can work there. We don't trust them with selling or they just don't know enough and we certainly don't want them to handle money so it seems to be the best place for them. I'm the questions they get over there can't be too difficult.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012 edited
    In the time I worked at Fry's, I had a lot of time to analyze this. So here's the revelation I came to... Fry's Electronics is a brilliant experiment in social natural selection. You might be familiar with how regular Darwinian natural selection works. I like to use the famous peppered moth example in London, England to illustrate the process for those who might be unfamiliar with actual instances of natural selection at work, so here goes...  

During the time of the industrial revolution in London, everything got covered in a layer of ash from all the coal that was burned in the factories. The ash that began to cover everything, made all the brightly colored moths stand out to predators, who soon began to gobble them up left and right. Pretty soon, all that was left was ash-colored moths who mated with other ash-colored moths to create ash-colored offspring. As a result, the ash-colored moths survived and multiplied, while the brightly colored moths stood out to predators and thus died off. It's not that a species "changes it's colors" to survive, it's simply that the members OF a species who don't "have the right colors", soon die off, until all that's left is the members who do have the colors needed for survival in that environment.  

Fry's Electronics is London during the industrial revolution. The management has their hands bound by inane policies and procedures that they have no say in, and Home Office as well as the people who pass those policies and procedures are deaf and dumb. Fry's pits its customers against it's employees like a couple of roosters in a cock fight, and then they bet in the back room on who will win. Its beyond a stressful job for these reasons.  

Don't like doing something that's not in your job description? Tough shit. Don't like the hours? Well wahhhh, go ahead and quit then! Don't like the 25 year old computer systems we use to do everything? Don't like telling customers that 'there's nothing we can do' and having them yell at you for 25 minutes? Well boo fucking hoo, we don't care!  

The result is a classic example of Social Darwinian Natural Selection. Natural Selection can be applied to social structures just as it's applied to the physical characteristics of an isolated population. The employees who thus remain at Fry's are employees who are often times quite intelligent (in many cases, extremely intelligent), but believe they can't do better. In my experience, at my store, I found that most employees, in almost all departments, seemed to have a list of self-esteem or entrapment issues where, for one reason or another, they came to feel that they had no other choice but to be kicked in the teeth each week and had to make the best of it. I can't tell you how many employees we had with the wife who had health issues, or the kid in the wheelchair, or the single parent who had no other source of income, or {name the beaten down, trapped, emotionally crippled person here, who had a knack for understanding all kinds of electronics).  

This used to be what I'd frequently think about as I ate my lunch and people-watched in the cafe. Finally I left because... 1) observing the experiment on a daily basis was just too tragic of a spectacle and, 2) I decided I could do better, and got another job once I learned everything there was to learn in service. I hope one day my comrades will be able to escape from their self-created cells and join me, but I don't expect many of them will any time soon because most don't have the initiative or belief in themselves to *find* that better job... they need it to be handed to them on a plate, and it will likely be a long time before that happens for most. But... that's just the type of Employee that Fry's attracts, or rather, Fry's retains... they are the ash-colored moths that remain after all the brightly colored moths have quit.  

Fry's customer base has been filtered out through the same process of social natural selection as well, but that's a topic for a whole other conversation.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeOct 31st 2012
    Huh?
  7.  permalink
    Wow. Scary and spot on! I'ld leave Frys today except for my ill family member, and the fact that I need the money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgoletadude
    • CommentTimeNov 4th 2012
    Guest: "We had the Filipino Mafia running things in Customer Service."  

They are still there.

And you can count one of the upper level managers being part of that mafia and although likes to hide behind corporate office. Although the number of Philipinos in the customer service department are diminishing since they find other jobs that pay them more (they love it when more money comes into play), there are quite a bit of them left. Half the personnel in returns, receiving, components, and computers are Philippinos. The store manager has favorites as well. In fact, one of the cashiers is a relative of a store manager's spouse.
  8.  permalink
    That is a very interesting idea Gobo!
  9.  permalink
    Is Jenna still in Store 28? She seems like always doing well.
  10.  permalink
    ^Think she has moved on to bigger and better things, no way that Fry's can keep her.

Anyone else from Store 28?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3653
    • CommentTimeDec 19th 2012
    Finally some other people from store 28 I felt like I was the only one here....
  11.  permalink
    I work in the Call Center for Fry's (I hate it with a passion) and almost everyone there are weirdos as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAviator08
    • CommentTimeMar 7th 2013
    Guest: Wow. Scary and spot on! I'ld leave Frys today except for my ill family member, and the fact that I need the money.

spot on? no pun intended. Good analogy though.
  12.  permalink
    One day, I went to the PSC training VCON. The trainer was a weird, home-office clown
    who made a dumb joke about the death of Margaret Thatcher! After giving us 5 minutes
    of useful information, he rambled on for a whole hour.
    When i applied for a job at Fry's, I never thought I'd have so many weird experiences there.
    I'm also surprised by the fact that a lot of people who get promoted
    are extremely serious about Fry's for some reason, and, a lot of them get fired later.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2013 edited
    My store has some good peeps... some weirdos as well (who eventually got fired). Also a lot of older minorities who barely grasp the concept of "Engrish"... we actually have a few merchandisers in our department who are like that. Every time the customer asks them questions they have to bring them to someone else who actually speaks English. Dunno how they got hired... -_-  

AND don't get me started on the beaners who walk into the store and ask for Spanish speaking employees. You live in the US, better know English... cuz it'll get real tough for ya if you don't!
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2013
    r3j3ct:  
    AND don't get me started on the beaners who walk into the store and ask for Spanish speaking employees. You live in the US, better know English... cuz it'll get real tough for ya if you don't!

In that case, knowing some Spanish could help rack up some more sales (and commission) right?
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 28th 2013
    Cinnabon:
    r3j3ct:  

In that case, knowing some Spanish could help rack up some more sales (and commission) right?

Tru dat. However, most Hispanics are cheap bastards... even if you made something off them it probably won't be very much. Definitely not worth learning Spanish over!
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013
    r3j3ct:
    Cinnabon:
    r3j3ct:  

Tru dat. However, most Hispanics are cheap bastards... even if you made something off them it probably won't be very much. Definitely not worth learning Spanish over!

You DO know what is now California was once Mexico? Seems to me you're the one that doesn't know the "native" language. And for information's sake, money received from a "beaner" spends just as well as money received from a pimply faced white boy who thinks he's black. TRUE DAT.  
    My guess is the person who started this thread a year or so ago might have been thinking of YOU when he made his comments...:face-crying:
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 29th 2013
    skullywag:
    r3j3ct:
    Cinnabon:
    r3j3ct:  

You DO know what is now California was once Mexico? Seems to me you're the one that doesn't know the "native" language. And for information's sake, money received from a "beaner" spends just as well as money received from a pimply faced white boy who thinks he's black. TRUE DAT.  
    My guess is the person who started this thread a year or so ago might have been thinking of YOU when he made his comments...:face-crying:

LOL used to, but now it belongs to the US, so speak the fucking language or gtfo. If you wanna take your time to help a "beaner" find his newspaper ad item while I help a rich white customer (who talks and acts black) to a nice gaming desktop, I really don't have anything against it :face-angel:
  13.  permalink
    R3j3ct: "Tru dat. However, most Hispanics are cheap bastards... even if you made something off them it probably won't be very much. Definitely not worth learning Spanish over!"

What parallel universe do you live in? The stereotype is completely the opposite. The so called "cheap" ones just CANT FUCKING AFFORD IT, so I would cut them a little slack.

On the otherhand, first gen. Indians tend to be the salesman's nightmare at Fry's. It's too bad they all seem to speak English so the best thing you can do is hand them off to the associate who is on his 6th week in draw.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 30th 2013
    Guest: R3j3ct: "Tru dat. However, most Hispanics are cheap bastards... even if you made something off them it probably won't be very much. Definitely not worth learning Spanish over!"  

What parallel universe do you live in? The stereotype is completely the opposite. The so called "cheap" ones just CANT FUCKING AFFORD IT, so I would cut them a little slack.  

On the otherhand, first gen. Indians tend to be the salesman's nightmare at Fry's. It's too bad they all seem to speak English so the best thing you can do is hand them off to the associate who is on his 6th week in draw.

Which makes the Indians WORSE, because they are clearly middle/upper class people who are still hunting for those cheap made in China bullshit items we seem to have too many of every fucking Friday. Sure, I'll cut the beaners some slack... but Indians can go back to fucking India and make their "bargains" in their street markets. Yes, I'm also going to hell for my racist viewpoint... sue me lol
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013
    r3j3ct:
    Guest: R3j3ct: "Tru dat. However, most Hispanics are cheap bastards... even if you made something off them it probably won't be very much. Definitely not worth learning Spanish over!"  

Which makes the Indians WORSE, because they are clearly middle/upper class people who are still hunting for those cheap made in China bullshit items we seem to have too many of every fucking Friday. Sure, I'll cut the beaners some slack... but Indians can go back to fucking India and make their "bargains" in their street markets. Yes, I'm also going to hell for my racist viewpoint... sue me lol

Heh, it's funny because it's true. :D  

Truth be told though, they - middle/upper class people in general - didn't get to where they are now by buying the good stuff at MSRP.