Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    Why can't they Honor the price? Doesn't someone check their ads before they publish it? I think this is bait and switch tactics.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSevenup
    • CommentTimeJan 5th 2008
    It is bait and switch and they do this every week. I dont understand how they get away with it and every time it benefits Fry's.  

For example they will put up 320GB SATA drive up for sale and when you walk into the store, they tell you it was a typo and it was for the slower older PATA drives. I think its bullshit. I tried complaining to the BBB but nothing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2008
    Take a look at the ad.. "Not responsible for typographical errors".. but yeah whoever proofreads these ads needs to be fired, but they problaly don't have anyone to proofread it who actually knows the items.I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeJan 6th 2008
    People make mistakes. Generally a few customers will be able to take advantage of this deal and thats it lol.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromfgninjas
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008 edited
    What you guys fail to understand is it's the fault of the newspaper, not Fry's.  

We send them a list of items, their prices, plus and specs and they have someone who builds the ad from scratch. When there's a misprint it's not the fault of the store OR home office, it's the fault of the Times, Union Tribune or whoever else might have printed that ad.  

DarkCreep:I dont understand how they get away with it

Because we aren't making the ads.  

If you wanted to get down to the nitty gritty of it, we don't have to honor even ONE of those mis-ads because it's not our fault, we do because we're a friendly and reasonable company and we're NOT baiting and switching.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromfgninjas
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2008 edited
    m_tux:Take a look at the ad.. "Not responsible for typographical errors".. but yeah whoever proofreads these ads needs to be fired, but they problaly don't have anyone to proofread it who actually knows the items.

Correct.  

The person who checks these ads doesn't work for us and even though almost every paper fails to get our ad right, it's not worth pulling them because they bring in so many customers, so we just have to man up and lose money on a few sales when ad errors occur.
  2.  permalink
    I think it's done on purpose to get people to come into the store. They will eventually end up buying something.
    •  
      CommentAuthoromfgninjas
    • CommentTimeMar 17th 2008
    SDCherryPicker:I think it's done on purpose to get people to come into the store. They will eventually end up buying something.

There's no conspiracy. Don't be stupid.  

Weights and Measures would absolutely destroy any company purposely advertising incorrectly.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    omfgninjas:  
    There's no conspiracy.

... Yes there is.Superhero!
  3.  permalink
    omfgninjas:We send them a list of items, their prices, plus and specs and they have someone who builds the ad from scratch  

My good man, I do not believe this to be true. If it were, then each city/district's ad would look completely different. Stores 25 and 15 have the same ad, but they differ from stores 7 and 11. Nonetheless, they are styled exactly the same.  

The newspaper does not make the ad. Fry's either has an in-house team (Marketing says HELLO) or an outside contractor that makes the ad for every single store. If you think about what you said:  
    We send them a list of items, their prices, plus and specs and they have someone who builds the ad from scratch.

This doesn't make any sense. Why would we send out a list of items, prices, and specs to a lowly newspaper and have them create such a stunning ad? WIth pictures and ballons no less! AND if theyre all made by DIFFERENT newspapers, why would they all look exactly the same? It doesn't add up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    particleman:
    omfgninjas:We send them a list of items, their prices, plus and specs and they have someone who builds the ad from scratch  

My good man, I do not believe this to be true. If it were, then each city/district's ad would look completely different. Stores 25 and 15 have the same ad, but they differ from stores 7 and 11. Nonetheless, they are styled exactly the same.  

The newspaper does not make the ad. Fry's either has an in-house team (Marketing says HELLO) or an outside contractor that makes the ad for every single store. If you think about what you said:  
    We send them a list of items, their prices, plus and specs and they have someone who builds the ad from scratch.

This doesn't make any sense. Why would we send out a list of items, prices, and specs to a lowly newspaper and have them create such a stunning ad? WIth pictures and ballons no less! AND if theyre all made by DIFFERENT newspapers, why would they all look exactly the same? It doesn't add up.

I think this is rather more believeable, as its standard. Their head office probably has a person who lays it up. No matter how many proofs you send/use/check you can still accidentally publish typoed material. Also, newspapers do not offer layout or typesetting services. You MUST send in your ad to them. They print exactly how they got it. My twin actually does ads and coupons for a ton of Subways in AZ... so it is pretty standard to have someone doing that. Especially in a company as big as Fry's.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008
    There is a conspiracy here. Weights and measures allow for a certain amount of fail. You can advertise bullshit all the time but you must disclaim the errors. I know for sure the errors are on purpose.i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2008 edited
    omfgninjas:  

If you wanted to get down to the nitty gritty of it, we don't have to honor even ONE of those mis-ads because it's not our fault, we do because we're a friendly and reasonable company and we're NOT baiting and switching.

Fry's makes the ad on some Adobe Product and sends the PDF files to newspaper companies. Every ad Fry's put out everywhere in the US looks exactly the same (products and prices differ), and no company out there has an ad that looks like Fry's. Check out frys-ads: http://www.frys-electronics-ads.com/i am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2008
    Whoever makes these ads needs to get shot.. they make the same mistakes all the time.. the biggest typo I been seeing recently was advertising a 24" monitor when it was suppose to be a 22"I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    They outsource to elementary schools in India.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    Sasquatch:They outsource to elementary schools in India.

No, it's Sri Lanka.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    My bad.
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    AyaHu:
    Sasquatch:They outsource to elementary schools in India.

No, it's Sri Lanka.

But the actual buildings were outsourced to India..I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
  4.  permalink
    ripoffreport:Why can't they Honor the price?

The better question is why don't they honor the price? They can, but in most cases they don't own up to the fact that they messed up.  

Doesn't someone check their ads before they publish it?

I doubt it. If anyone does check it they do an awful job. Fixing this problem would really be quite trivial. Have three people sign off on the ad before it is sent out to the publisher.  

I think this is bait and switch tactics.

In most states it probably is, but I would ask your local DA. Since this year is election year, you probably are more likely to get them to act on a valid complaint then a non-election year.  

Overall I like Fry's, but the frequent ad mistakes make one cynical.
  5.  permalink
    In the Austin as I heard there's a 16GB drive or mp3 player for 20 bucks, they are gonna realize they are loosing too much GP on it and say it was suppose to be the one GB.
  6.  permalink
    crazymadskill:In the Austin as I heard there's a 16GB drive or mp3 player for 20 bucks, they are gonna realize they are loosing too much GP on it and say it was suppose to be the one GB.

The best ad goofs are the ones for products that don't exist. Like the laptop with 2048GB of RAM as opposed to 2048MB of RAM.  

Another great one was the MP3 playing capacitor.  

Also I saw a GQ spindle where the text said DVD+RW and the picture showed DVD-RW. The ad was contradicting. How even the worst proof reader could miss that is beyond me.  

Another common mistake is to incorrectly list the features for a computer. How hard is it to copy and paste the the 2-3 specs that you put in the ad off the vendors website? Said configuration often doesn't even exist! So the customer is coming in for a product that Fry's can't give the customer because that product doesn't even exist. Those are awesome.  

If I were Fry's I would eat the cost, but make some heads would roll. Other vendors mess up, but not the same consistency that Fry's seems to mess up. If it happened once a month, honoring the mistake wouldn't be such a big loss, but when it happens 2-3 times a week it becomes an expensive mistake. Either you are going to lose 1000s of dollars in GP a week per location of the mistakes or you are going to make a lot of customers angry. This is one area where I think Fry's really needs to get their act together.
  7.  permalink
    Actually, the ADs are created by the marketing department located in the Home Office. Please get your facts correct.

Please, learn how to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising#Bait-and-switch

"Bait-and-switch
    This is a technique where they advertise an item which is unavailable when the consumer arrives at the store, who is then sold a similar product at higher price. Note that bait-and-switch is legal in most jurisdictions, provided that they state in the ads that there is a limited supply (sometimes they must list the quantity) and that no rain checks will be offered."

Seriously, customer piss me off who threaten Fry's Electronics with Bait and Switch when Fry's clearly states the disclaimers in the ads and on the website. Really, it is not Fry's Electronics you're illiterate or ignorant. Deal with the fact that there is really nothing you can do about it, besides complain to the BBB. But I mean look at how many complains the BBB gets from Fry's and Fry's is still a high ranking retailer. I will admit that Fry's Electronics is very strict, behind in technology, and cheap, but Fry's Electronics still follows the requirements which makes them in the safe zone. Please, go cry somewhere else.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRegulus
    • CommentTimeJul 16th 2012 edited
    In this week ad,

Windows Professional.jpg

Windows Professional.jpg
  8.  permalink
    Guest: Actually, the ADs are created by the marketing department located in the Home Office. Please get your facts correct.  

Please, learn how to read: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising#Bait-and-switch  

"Bait-and-switch  
    This is a technique where they advertise an item which is unavailable when the consumer arrives at the store, who is then sold a similar product at higher price. Note that bait-and-switch is legal in most jurisdictions, provided that they state in the ads that there is a limited supply (sometimes they must list the quantity) and that no rain checks will be offered."  

Seriously, customer piss me off who threaten Fry's Electronics with Bait and Switch when Fry's clearly states the disclaimers in the ads and on the website. Really, it is not Fry's Electronics you're illiterate or ignorant. Deal with the fact that there is really nothing you can do about it, besides complain to the BBB. But I mean look at how many complains the BBB gets from Fry's and Fry's is still a high ranking retailer. I will admit that Fry's Electronics is very strict, behind in technology, and cheap, but Fry's Electronics still follows the requirements which makes them in the safe zone. Please, go cry somewhere else.

You do know companies pay to be a part of the BBB and the complaints they get can be ignored by the amount of money frys pays the BBB and they pay them alot.