Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeNov 26th 2012
    I go in, ask for a 50mm lens, and they have 2 in stock. The guy takes so long to get it - I see another associate come up and he has one, the person helping me goes, "is there another one left?" The associate said yes, one, and the guy helping me disappears for about 15 minutes, comes back and goes "yes we have one left, BRAND NEW!" I was like, well duh, it's brand new. Well, in the Black Friday rush (even though I went on Saturday), with a huge pile of things being brought up to the counter, I didn't notice when I was paying that the box is missing the two stickers that usually are on their cameras (the blue and white one, and the orange one). INSTEAD there was a long piece of packing tape. That's it.  

Now I don't know what to do. If I try to take it back are they just going to go "Oh you peeled off the stickers" and slap me with the fine? None of the other Nikon things - lenses, camera, or flash - had ANY packing tape on them. So....I kind of feel like I was sold a floor model. Like what, they carefully peel off some crappy packing tape that Nikon puts on there or something, then put on their own stickers? That makes little sense to me. And now I feel like this is going to be impossible to return without a restocking fee.  

What would you do? :face-sad:Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 5948
    Why do you want to return it? Unless there is something wrong with it, I'd say just keep it.

I know, it sucks being sold something that isnt actually 'brand new', but most of the time there really isn't any difference to the product, except a few smudges or something.

If you want though, for something like this, just go in and see. Ask for a manager if they say no then too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    I thought if it was a floor model I shouldn't pay full price, but maybe I am wrong on that. And I also felt it was strange that the guy yelled out "brand new" and then turns out it just as a piece of packing tape on it. I haven't ever seen anything at Fry's or been sold anything without a sticker of some form with boxed items, so my curiosity is killing me as well since the stickered boxes have no tape under the stickers. You would think they would bother to put the stickers on if they were trying to pull something over on me instead of random piece of packing tape, but yet like, again, I have no idea and it was very busy. *shrugs* Thanks for the suggestion.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    flea: I thought if it was a floor model I shouldn't pay full price

"You didn't pay full price unless you bought it at Fry's"  

It sounds like you got an open box item that Fry's didn't mark as such. Nikon uses a round clear embossed sticker to seal their boxes. Check to make sure that the lens includes the Nikon USA warranty.  

Fry's is the last place I'd consider to purchase camera equipment (let alone anything else).
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    Nikon uses a round clear embossed sticker? NONE of the boxes have that whatsoever...., I just opened another lens that did have stickers, no such sticker, and I don't see one on the camera, or flash, either. >< Do I return everything I bought then? Ugh...Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    I just googled and people are saying Nikon gold boxes now since around 2011 aren't coming with stickers on them if they are sold at authorized dealers. I guess I will just bring back the lens and eat the stupid fee. As far as being sold used things, I get the same exact problem from Amazon. I tried to buy a shredder once and got four used ones from the same seller, just as one example. And I've had Newegg sell me open box against my will too (and claim not) so I risk it everywhere I guess if the company isn't even going to seal things.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    Having been in Retail for some time, I can tell you that I even check the Serial #'s for the most current ( Highest ) on of a lot, if I have that choice. I like to have the newest and Non-Opened product when I purchase, especially with my shopping experience at Fry's.  

You have a Doubt, You will not be happy, so ask for a Store Credit for what you paid, and express your concern since it is a gift for someone... Mention how past experience Fry's has been known to UNINTENTIONALLY have Returned product placed back on the shelves,.. Look Sympathetic and Good Luck...:face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 2198
    You want to return it not based on the performance / want or need for the product but based on the idea that it maybe an open box product? If the product meets your standards, I recommend keeping it.

Lenses are not listed under 15% restocking fee products. Does it say on the front or back of your receipt that there is a restocking fee on your product? If it does have a restocking fee, it usually lists it right under the product in the receipt.

In most cases, based on the verbiage on the back of the receipt and in their policy, this is an easy challenge for you to overcome. I don't think anybody will give you a difficult time doing a return if you chose to do so - but if they do, you can always call out the policy on the back of the receipt - the associate/management will get so confused in their routine ways they might give-in to avoid looking like a goof.

You can also write an email to the manager (email on the bottom of the receipt) to have him or her answer your questions or clear up concerns. If you plan on returning it, write one with your with your plans and why about 24 hours before you go in - the manager is most likely going to guarantee you your return or satisfactions because that email attaches the corporate office. The corporate office keeps track of these emails and the managers have to "close" these problems within a certain amount of time.

Source:
    "10. Unless defective, a 15% restocking fee will be charged for all returned opened GPS/Navigation units, network-attached storage, projectors, cameras, camcorders, notebooks, netbooks, tablets and iPads, desktops, monitors, MP3 players and iPods, and Apple TVs. 11. Physical damage to motherboards or remote control aircraft being returned voids any return / exchange privileges."
    [http://www.frys.com/template/help/index/FE30/Service3/Assistance/Left_Topics/A6ReturningPurchases]

As far as whether or not your product is a demo unit, I have high doubts for this. They don't keep the boxes for demo units so it is unlikely the sales person found a random box back there that just happened to be for your unit. Additionally, p-touch or PLU labels are normally placed on the demo unit for the associates to identify which product it is - if there are no signs of these labels on it, it suggests to me that you do not have a demo unit.

As for being an open box product, VERY DIFFICULT to determine without looking at it. Most open box units will have normal wear and tear such as minor scratches and finger prints. I have seen many new products with ugly and damaged boxes done by transport and inspection. I have seen used units or open box in perfect condition also. I have seen damaged or heavily worn out units inside of mint-condition boxes. I wouldn't be as naive as to say that all open box products have that orange rectangular sticker on the outside of it, but for the most part, it does make a good rule of thumb. Even if the sticker is removed, there is some form or residue/dirt that suggest the sticker was there before (even if the sticker was removed by a heat gun). The best judgement to make is on the condition of the product, not the box - the product is more important then the box anyways.

Hope this helps!
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    The other lens I have does have the restocking fee sticker, as well as the flash and the camera. The store I went to is in the Bay area in Northern Cali. I actually bought one lens from one store and the others at another, so both stores are doing restocking fee of 15% on the Nikon lenses and the Nikon flashes, as far as those stores are concerned. I too looked at the clause you stated, after I got home, and saw it doesn't say anything about the lenses or flashes or camera accessories, yet the stupid stickers are on the other boxes.  

As far as the box - the box is totally devoid of having any stickers or residue. It just had the packing tape, which again, totally confused about, but I guess whatever. The lens would have just sat in a display case, so I imagine it might look brand new. The store now online says their stock includes display and open box, LOL. So I guess maybe I'm just keeping it. I'm going to do a focus test here in a few.  

Thanks everyone... :)Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  1.  permalink
    It's very possible the box could be opened without being used by a customer.  

When I worked in Computer sales we'd occasionally have customers wanting us to open boxes to check sizes or accessories or whatever. We'd seal them back up afterwards but there's no reason it put an open box sticker on it since it never left the store and was never used.http://www.frysblackfriday.com
  2.  permalink
    Many of the lenses come with only the packing tape on the box and no stickers. The stickers used to be put on by the people working in receiving, but now they hardly bother. You probably got a brand new lens and are now obsessing over it for nothing. We are not going to bother re taping it if it was an open box. Sometimes the new cameras don't even have the stickers on them, and I put them on only if they are handy. A display model will not have a box because LP makes us throw the box away. Don't worry about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012 edited
    There use to be a large Orange Sticker with black print placed over where you would open the lid by Receiving on NEW merchandise. I don't remember the wording but it was meant to basically prevent anyone from opening Brand New merchandise. Some people immediately thought it meant a Return until they read it, emphasizing the Box is NEW and Sealed.
  3.  permalink
    FrenchyFry is correct. Those orange stickers were everywhere, on everything until recently. We lost two more people from receiving last week, so orange stickers are their last concern. Not every new item will have an orange sticker,be more concerned that you are giving money to Frys. Shop elsewhere. You can have some of my orange stickers if it will make you feel better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeNov 28th 2012 edited
    Orange Stickers at the time could easily be used to MASK a RETURNED ITEM, to be sold as New! Who knows.
  4.  permalink
    <Orange Stickers at the time could easily be used to MASK a RETURNED ITEM, to be sold as New! Who knows.>
    We will leave the stickers as is if the item was returned unopened. We will attach an open box discount sticker (usually 5% off) if it has been opened and then returned. Sometimes the open box is a good deal , sometimes not. Samsung cameras have a very high rate of return for some reason. Buy the PSC if you are considering an open box item, at least they will try to take care of you if there is a problem after the item is out of manufacturers' warranty. Better yet, shop somewhere else!
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2012
    Open box Stickers were generated at the Returns Area... With an automatic 5 %... WOW.