Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorjace_xiong
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2012
    Hi guys im new, so hoping you guys can answer my question as i cant find it in the search function or online. So the part where the cable connects to my laptops ac adapter is broken.. I bought a 5year warranty on it 4 years ago. Brought it in and the girl said its physical damage and that it "looks" like i yanked it out. This is a 4 year old laptop being used by a college student who travels back and forth from campus to home. all i wanted was to just replace the ac adapter so i can finish up the semester, not the entire laptop. anyways, she said i need to get one myself, okay.  

So here's the real question if i use a universal one would that void my warranty? because all i see online is "compatible" & "replacement". i dont want a case of powersurge and then frys wont cover it cause they didnt want to get me one in the first place. Any imput would be awesome. Thanks in advance :D
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Should I go with Factory warranty fix, or use Fry's instant exchange PSC I bought?
    Got receiver replaced through PSC, what are my options now?
    Fry's PSC Effective Period vs. mfr's warranty
    Frys PSC question
    What is covered by the Fry's Warranty or PSC?
  2.  permalink
    I doubt using a universal will void your warranty. Just make sure to not use any chargers that have lower voltage than your original adapter. You can also go to a local computer repair shop and they'll order you a replacement one for dirt cheap.
  3.  permalink
    Jace purchasing another ac adapter universal or original doesn't matter Psc will continue its coverage and will not void anything. The nice thing here is if u do buy an original hp and it dies lets say within next 6 months the goons at the service department will never know as long as its not broken. Now buy a universal one n it dies in 6 months ur out of luck as the semi intelligence service techs will be able to find out they didn't replace it
  4.  permalink
    About the only thing PSC *does* cover is power surge, so I wouldn't worry about it. As long as the voltage and plug type are correct, the laptop will not be affected by using replacement generic adapters.  

Also PSC is worthless. When I sold computers at Fry's one of my co-workers joked that when he interviewed for a better job, he was going to say "I'm such a good salesman that I can make people pay $100 for a piece of paper" and that pretty much sums up PSC. If you want insurance for your laptop, buy Squaretrade but laptops are getting so cheap now I wouldn't worry too much about it.