Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013
    A friend of mine who has been working at Fry's for more than 5 years has told me that the attitude from corporate is that if you don't like working at Fry's, then go find another place to work. Most of you probably know or at least felt this, but I thought I might bring it forward to discuss here. I'm really shocked at how a company this size can still stay in business with such a "we don't give a shit" attitude.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsmorris
    • CommentTimeJan 3rd 2013
    I've been around longer than your friend. The best I can understand from what I've heard is that the attitude is, "If you are unhappy enough to threaten to quit, then we don't want you around. We won't be told what to do by our employees; you have nothing to threaten us with. Your quitting would mean nothing, so go ahead."  

I've seen several people threaten to quit over stuff. None of them got what they wanted, and none of them still work there. There is a big "go fuck yourself" attitude from top to bottom in this company. They've spent seven years trying to convince me of this fact. No argument can be made that this is not the case. It's six sigma verified as far as I'm concerned.  

Reflecting on this fact, I'm not surprised they lose lawsuits like the one they recently did. This attitude is pandemic within the company. This was drilled into me my first year as supervisor.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013 edited
    @smorris  

Agreed. I have been getting that vibe since being in sales. The statement has never been actually said to me but it is generally implied. Realistically though, Fry's is retail. There are way too many people applying for jobs at Fry's for them to worry about losing any one of us though.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeJan 4th 2013
    Being a retail chain is no excuse for Fry's to treat the workers this way. There are retail chains that people love working for and hate working for. I'd imagine Fry's as being among the bottom of the barrel but I've heard amazing stories about working at places like Whole Foods and Trader Joe's. Why Fry's never put any thought into building a healthy work environment and corporate culture is beyond me.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Building a healthy work environment would take away from the Fry's brothers profits. Reality check - Fry's corporate doesn't give a rat's pajamas about their employees. Having handled part of their risk management program in the past, they made this crystal clear (which is one of the reasons we fired them as a client).
  1.  permalink
    Trader Joe's is a good example of a company that cares about keeping its employees and does things right. It is a hard company to get a job with because no one wants to leave, and even the part time staff get full benefits.
    Your assessment of Frys is mostly accurate, and management feels that a trained monkey could do my sales job, since most of the customers know what they want, and all I need to do is offer a Frys card and accessories, PSC and a price match, meaning I got zero pay since I'm commission only. Frys is done as far as a credible company, and will only exist as an on line presence, or at least that's the direction it seems to be heading. The ' we match internet prices' policy was the beginning of the end, as far as I'm concerned and showed Frys as being a company with poor management and lacking vision.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    ObiWan: Having handled part of their risk management program in the past, they made this crystal clear (which is one of the reasons we fired them as a client).

Care to elaborate on that? I'm curious to hear what you have to say.
  2.  permalink
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJan 7th 2013
    Charlie:
    ObiWan: Having handled part of their risk management program in the past, they made this crystal clear (which is one of the reasons we fired them as a client).

Care to elaborate on that? I'm curious to hear what you have to say.

I was part of the team that handled Fry's insurance and risk management. Fry's corporate refused to follow/comply with any of the recommendations made by either us or their insurance carriers to help reduce their losses (work related injuries/theft/etc.). Add into that, they didn't want to pay for the services they were getting. After several years, we finally reached a point were we fired Fry's as a client.