Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCharlie
    • CommentTimeJan 10th 2013 edited
    Tell returns you don't agree with the EULA, which usually instructs you to return the software to the store.  

Anyone tried this?
  1.  permalink
    It's 2013? People still buy software?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJan 11th 2013
    Guest: It's 2013? People still buy software?

Only those running WinDoze....
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 1384
    • CommentTimeJan 14th 2013
    Those agreement are not typically between the customer and retailer, try contacting the manufacturer if you want to return it. You will find that most of the manufacturers will already have a easy way to return their product (such as online or with a phone call). Your agreement with the retailer, in this case Fry's, is available on the back of the receipt and at each of the registers which show that software is only returnable within 30 days and unopened.

You may get lucky and come across a Manager in Charge who does not care or one who knows which manufacturers will give the retailer credit during the Return To Vendor (RTV) process; they might even make an effort to return it by calling the RTV center or a M&O District Supervisor to find out.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 9147
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2013
    Op is a fucking idiot eula is between the customer and microsoft
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeMay 22nd 2013
    ObiWan:

Oh god. Don't tell me you'd rather use a Mac. See, this is another reason why I turned to the dark side in the first place.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2013
    Anakin:
    ObiWan:

Oh god. Don't tell me you'd rather use a Mac. See, this is another reason why I turned to the dark side in the first place.

Linux > Windoze > Mac... true story
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Anakin:
    ObiWan:

Yes my fallen Padawan learner, I use a Mac (MacBook Pro to be exact), along with an iPad and iPhone. My wife HAS TO use Windows because her embroidery design software is ported only to that platform.  

As to Windows being better than OS X, that's laughable (if not pathetic).
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    ObiWan:
    Anakin:
    ObiWan:

Yes my fallen Padawan learner, I use a Mac (MacBook Pro to be exact), along with an iPad and iPhone. My wife HAS TO use Windows because her embroidery design software is ported only to that platform.  

As to Windows being better than OS X, that's laughable (if not pathetic).

List reasons please, as to why Windoze is inferior to OSX. I'm curious why you think that way...
  2.  permalink
    Obiwan:

Can you ask yer wife to embroider me a T'shirt that says "Apple suxs" ?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMay 23rd 2013 edited
    Guest: Obiwan:  

Can you ask yer wife to embroider me a T'shirt that says "Apple suxs" ?

How much are you willing to pay? And the short answer would be "no", since she has an iPhone and understands the quality of Apple products.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    @r3j3ct Here's my short list:  
    1. AV/Security Software Requirement - Without any sort of AV/Security software, Windows - including Windows 8 - is a hackers dream. Not having any AV software on Windows is like standing on your front porch buck naked. There's less than a handful of viruses in the wild that target OS X, and Apple's sandboxing helps address any issues that could come up.  

2. Patch Tuesday - The monthly (if not more frequently) updates/fixes that MS puts out to fix. Yes, Apple puts out updates also, but their frequency is a lot LESS than what MS does.  

3. Drivers/Software issues - Although not directly a MS issue, third party drivers and software still cause issues with Windows (even Win8). There seems to be a much lower frequency of problems with software written for OS X than for Windows  

4. Windows 8 - Win8 is a disaster - period. The Metro...sorry...Modern UI might work on a smartphone or tablet, but it's a pain in the butt on a PC/laptop. Add into that, software developers aren't writing programs to work with the Win8 UI.  

5. OS X/iOS integration - Apple's iCloud device integration trumps anything that Windows does.  

6. Hardware quality - Although not directly a MS issue (except for Surface), the quality of PC/laptop hardware varies greatly. Apple may not have the bazillion different configurations that you can find with Windows-based computers, but Apple's iMac's, MBP's, etc. are all built with quality components.  

Apple isn't perfect. Their iLife/iWork/Aperture software are in need of major updating. But...for the normal end user, OS X is a lot more user friendly, and Apple (including Apple Stores) offers a lot more free training and guidance than Microsoft does.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    There is no point in arguing about Apple vs Microsoft. There are a few things that are 100% true when it comes to both.  

1. If you don't know how to use a computer and you're rich, buy a Mac.  

2. If you don't know how to use a computer and you're broke, buy a pre-built POS PC.  

3. If you know how to use, build, and maintain a computer, build your own custom PC with whatever version of Windows or Linux that you want. Or you could even build a Hackintosh.  

My primary computer usage is games. So I build PC's with Windows. Windows 8 has several improvements over Windows 7. Since I only recently built my current Win7 machine, I'll stick with it. However if I were starting from scratch, I would probably use Win8.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    For a Jedi master, Obi Wan sure doesn't know how to properly use a computer.  

In all my years using Windows/Linux, I've never had a problem with getting "hacked" on Windows, and I'm not stupid enough to go to websites or download content that will give me viruses. I also know how to take care of my computer as to either avoid or wipe a virus if needed...  

Compare software written for OSX and Windows... you're gonna have a LOT more choices and compatibility with Windows, whereas OSX is just limited and proprietary to a certain few. How many games can you run on OSX, and how many can you run on Windows? How many companies out there use Windows on their systems vs OSX?  

I don't know what you're talking about Windows 8 being awful, but I love mine so far... and it will run circles around your OSX. Not used to the new interface? There are ways around it and ways to customize to your liking.  

Hardware compatibility... I love this part. We have "Mac specific RAM" for a reason, and "Mac specific video card upgrades"... they are all overpriced and limited, whereas you can custom build a PC and use whatever hardware you want. Most of them higher quality than Apple. I'm running a pair of Corsair Dominator Platinums in my main rig and a quad channel G.Skill Trident X RAM in my secondary build. I also just got the ASUS GTX 780 for my main rig (can't wait for that to ship in btw). How does your Apple machine compare with that? Oh did I mention I also spent less than what most people spend on their MBP and Mac Pros?  

Of course, if you're going after user friendly and costs a fortune. Apple is the best way to go. I've always liked to say, "Apple, till you're ready for a REAL computer." :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2013
    Every time I hear the software choices argument, it always comes down to....games. That's it...games. If that's what you're main use of a computer is, then Windows is the best choice. For any other type of software (productivity, photography, video, etc.), there are as good...if not better software offerings for the Mac.  

One more thing on Windows 8....my wife's main laptop has been acting wonky, so it was time to get a replacement. Spent five plus hours just downloading updates to Win 8.  

One one more thing - yeah...I do know how to properly use a computer Been using/troubleshooting/supporting them for some 20 years. I just prefer to make sure that my personal computer will actually work and do what I need it to do, and not have to worry about BSOD's or Patch Tuesday.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2013 edited
    They say you get what you pay for. This is not the case with a Mac with the exception of the Mac Pro. And to be honest, even the mac pro is about $500-$1,000 overpriced. Apple products, in general, are incredibly overpriced and are not worth the money for the vast majority of consumers. If I needed to use a Mac for work reasons I wouldn't even consider buying one. I'd build my own hackintosh with the proper gigabyte motherboard and other required hardware. There is a small community of people online that do this and the price difference compared to an off the shelf mac is huge. Plus with a hackintosh, upgrades are much more cost effective and easy to implement.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 24th 2013
    ObiWan: Every time I hear the software choices argument, it always comes down to....games. That's it...games. If that's what *your* (corrected your grammar) main use of a computer is, then Windows is the best choice. For any other type of software (productivity, photography, video, etc.), there are as good...if not better software offerings for the Mac.  

One more thing on Windows 8....my wife's main laptop has been acting wonky, so it was time to get a replacement. Spent five plus hours just downloading updates to Win 8.  

One one more thing - yeah...I do know how to properly use a computer Been using/troubleshooting/supporting them for some 20 years. I just prefer to make sure that my personal computer will actually work and do what I need it to do, and not have to worry about BSOD's or Patch Tuesday.

I'm running off a crappy 6Mbps DSL connection and I downloaded all my Windows 8 updates within an hour (including time spent going to get coffee). No complaints there. As Best Buy states, you can build your own "hackintosh" for half the price and BETTER hardware (especially the graphics card) and you're set. Why pay $4000 for a Mac when you can build one even better and upgradeable down the road for $2000? I can easily build a system for much cheaper than a Mac, and render videos, process graphics, etc MUCH faster. If you buy a Mac, you're paying for the brand... nuff said!  

Now, if you're an elderly person who's never had a computer in his life and needs support if anything goes wrong (hardware failures, etc) and has the $$ to spend. Of course, Mac is the better choice. If you're a modder, enthusiast, system builder, IT professional, or someone who doesn't want to spend money for something that's not anywhere worth that much... then you'd go with a custom PC.  

Apple is making bank because of how tech illiterate most people are and like to pay for the brand, because it's shiny and looks cool.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013
    I love when customers come in asking about building a hackintosh. Many of them whisper when asking about it, as if they're asking me to help them do something illegal. It makes me laugh every time.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 25th 2013
    Best Buy: I love when customers come in asking about building a hackintosh. Many of them whisper when asking about it, as if they're asking me to help them do something illegal. It makes me laugh every time.

They don't want Apple to hear about it and go after them to sue them because you're "supposed" to pay full price for their "fruit machine" LOL :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorjball
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2015
    Help - any Fry's current or ex- Returns desk employees.  
    I went and bought as a gift a $599.00 3Dr IRIS Multicopter drone and a case, battery, Gimbal- total $1100, on 8/31/15. BEFORE I purchased I asked for ASSURANCE I could return it if he didn't want it or like it- NO PROBLEM I was told by 2 employees, Daniel and Mark at San Marcos, CA store. Daniel even walked me to cashier, reiterated to the cashier at time of purchase that it was returnable and I did not have to sign the usual form at Cashier regarding NO RETURN on RC Quad-copters. Mark and Daniel stated there was a return agreement with the IRIS manufacturer 3Dr, and both the SOLO and IRIS were returnable. I attempted to return it after 8 days,in perfect new condition, they accepted for return the accessories, Case, Gimbal- total $548.00 but not IRIS Quadcopter.  
    They said I needed an RMA from manufacturer 3Dr. Daniel the salesman was in store, came to returns desk, CONFIRMED he said I could return it, then mumbled under his breath, "with an RMA." No one ever said the customer had to obtain an RMA- but I attempted to get one. I called the manufacturer 3Dr, spoke to Vincent in customer service, he said they don't give RMAs to customers. That Fry's "knows the drill". That Frys would get the RMA. I wrote an email to the Fry's San Marcos location Manager, whose name is on the receipt, Mgr. Gaetano Ventrella, explaining how I was lied to, and no response. I tried 3 times to call the Frys store and reached a Call Center person who took my message- during business hours.  
    I returned a 2nd time to Frys, and have to wait at Returns desk for over 1 hour. Malissa at Frys says 3Dr is "Wrong" that they are "dropping the ball" and not giving me or Frys an RMA so I am screwed. Then she has Frys "Drone expert" do a telemetry test on the unit to prove the time the motor has been running since it was made. I left the unit there with them after waiting an eternity and then get a call from her days later stating they will not accept it for return.  

HELP How can they lie flat out and not honor a return with receipt, within terms of printed return policy? In perfect condition. We originally planned to return and upgrade to the SOLO, because the IRIS was very very loud. Also, the Frys reps lied and misrepresented the IRIS, stated that a tablet or cell phone could be mounted on the controller used with software for better flying experience. They told me to go elsewhere to buy a GOPRO camera because they cannot sell them. I asked how to mount the tablet and they said a KIT would come with the GOPRO- WRONG- it's a $300.00 plus kit purchased from 3DR- so they also lied there. Do I have to get a lawyer-Go to small claims court- should I contact the CEO? would that help? They have the IRIS- I am out $599.00 plus tax- I will NEVER EVER spend another dime at that unethical lying horrible company.

IRIS.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2015 edited
    People like you working up the chain because it takes forever, and then it's easy for everyone to coordinate working against you. Jump far up the chain and contact a Customer Service District (2) [Department] Manager (DDM) or even the Director if any are available. You can simply call the home office operator line and ask them to transfer you: (408)-487-4500. Even though the phone number is no secret, operators are kind hesitant and slow people (in my personal opinion), so I would not make it obvious that you are a customer.  

I wouldn't be a straight asshole to them over the phone, but "whiny" normally gets you what you want, and implying "possible" legal means if it becomes necessary (You would lose in court based on paper, but the whole process is a major pain in the ass and it might be easier for them simply return it). DDMs and Directors do not like getting "bad" calls from customers, and it is easy for them to pencil-whip a few decisions to get you off their back. Considering that the aircraft is not damaged and you have tried to return it soon after, it might be possibly for them to make the exception to their policy.  

Good luck!  

edit: Don't tell the operator your story, and the reason you are wanting the Customer Service department is because it is return related. These drones belong to Audio & Video Department (A/V) but I have more in depth detail about that department and the people, and I am too lazy to describe it online. I am certain that the Customer Service department would be better for your circumstance... I would avoid speaking to the A/V department as much as possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2015
    jball, It's customers like you who ruins retail stores (such as Fry's) and litter their shelves with open box BX sticker discount crap that nobody wants to buy because it's chewed up by a rabid dog, sawed in half, and trampled by a bunch of angry bulls. Ever since they got rid of the restocking fees I've noticed that open box items have more than TRIPLED throughout the entire store... people "trying out" products.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeSep 17th 2015
    r3j3ct: jball, It's customers like you who ruins retail stores (such as Fry's) and litter their shelves with open box BX sticker discount crap that nobody wants to buy because it's chewed up by a rabid dog, sawed in half, and trampled by a bunch of angry bulls. Ever since they got rid of the restocking fees I've noticed that open box items have more than TRIPLED throughout the entire store... people "trying out" products.

Have you considered this: If associates could qualify customers for the products or be more honest about their features, applications, and their return policies, then customers wouldn't have a want or need to return the product?  

To no surprise at all: All Fry's locations have a very similar set up. Lots of open box and possibly damaged or incomplete products sitting on their shelves. Why? Well, lets take a look at our competitors too. When you walk around a Costco, do you see a shit ton of open box? Target? Hell... even Best Buy? It seems like the common denominator is all at Fry's, and for many very obvious reasons.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2015
    Josh:
    r3j3ct: jball, It's customers like you who ruins retail stores (such as Fry's) and litter their shelves with open box BX sticker discount crap that nobody wants to buy because it's chewed up by a rabid dog, sawed in half, and trampled by a bunch of angry bulls. Ever since they got rid of the restocking fees I've noticed that open box items have more than TRIPLED throughout the entire store... people "trying out" products.

Have you considered this: If associates could qualify customers for the products or be more honest about their features, applications, and their return policies, then customers wouldn't have a want or need to return the product?  

To no surprise at all: All Fry's locations have a very similar set up. Lots of open box and possibly damaged or incomplete products sitting on their shelves. Why? Well, lets take a look at our competitors too. When you walk around a Costco, do you see a shit ton of open box? Target? Hell... even Best Buy? It seems like the common denominator is all at Fry's, and for many very obvious reasons.

Until Fry's decides to pay outta pocket more to "train" associates, this will never happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorJosh
    • CommentTimeSep 19th 2015
    r3j3ct:
    Josh:

Until Fry's decides to pay outta pocket more to "train" associates, this will never happen.

I don't disagree with this by any means, but I do disagree with blaming the customers. This behavior is at fault and toned by Fry's Electronics, not by the customers ;).