Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMylo7
    • CommentTimeJan 28th 2013 edited
    I handle the returns line at my store and we've recently had our hours ridiculously shortened. All the full-timers in my area are down at 32 per week while all the part-timers, including myself, are at 15, compared to the average 20-25 hour rate.  

For someone who's been trying to move up to full-time for nearly a year, what's the best thing for me to do (Aside from quitting, although I'm currently looking for another job right now)? Before the dramatic hour cuts, I've been pushing for up to 30-31 hours per week versus the 20-25 hours I used to get on average. It's not like I'm a bad associate, I'm not. As a matter of fact, I do more work in my department as a part-timer than half the full-timers all-together. I have bills to pay for crying out loud. This is ridiculous, even for Fry's.  

I could always ask to go back into sales. Being in Electronic Components as a returns associate, I'd still be at base plus commission. This is all assuming there's still an opening as full-time.  

The other thing I can do is still come in for extra hours like I normally would. This week I have been scheduled 5 days: 3 hours per day, totaling to 15 for the week. Extra hours like this would be easy, as pushing an extra two hours per day would bring me up to 25 for the week. I know I shouldn't though, considering that a lot of coworkers I've asked would say that would get me fired, and I know that probably would happen with the way management is at my store.  

While I'm at it, would clocking in extra hours (despite being at or below 5 hours per day, under 32 hours per week) still get me fired? And if so, would that qualify me for unemployment?  

Well guys, there you have it. It looks like Fry's really is going down the drain, or at least for my store.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Frys cuts our hours
    Hours Cuts - Store Managers Getting Desperate
    Fry's Electronics to remove commissions and pay employees hourly rates.
    Fry's Locations & Store Hours
    How many hours is Full Time at Fry's in Las vegas, Neavda
  2.  permalink
    What I have seen is hilarious to say the least. Everything is pointing to a Home Office direction to, somehow, magically cut labor spending in half. These Home Office clowns are just experimenting like they always do. Maybe they forgot that accessory sales/merchandisers fill a role by filling the aisles with the shit that we sell. Assuming that it's in stock of course. They also seem to think that we don't need people in receiving at all. Plus, what good are cashiers and returns people? Returns people accept returns that cost us money /sarcasm. And now these idiots are cutting salesmen hours. Really? The people that sell to increase your profit and sales? That's a great plan guys. Hey let's cut the hours of all our profit generators so that we can hit an arbitrary labor percentage. Oh wait, we cut their hours, we didn't sell as much as a result. CUT THEIR HOURS MORE!!!! OUR SALES NUMBERS ARE GOING DOWN AND OUR LABOR PERCENTAGE IS THEREFORE GOING UP. KEEP CUTTING UNTIL NOBODY WORKS ANY FUCKING HOURS AT ALL! Just do all of us a favor Randy. Just fire us. That way we will collect unemployment until we find new jobs with reputable companies.
  3.  permalink
    The floggings will continue until moral improves! Seriously though in some states they are legally required to give you 4 hrs minimum per day. You might even be able to file for benefits for "under employment". I assume they are hoping people quit outright to avoid paying out unemployment benefits. I'm not sure what advice to give, Frys is the worst company I have ever worked for.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsmorris
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013 edited
    From what I hear home orifice wants labor cut by 50%, ASAP.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013
    Fry's could care less if you have bills to pay. If Fry's is cutting full time people to 32 hours, that's just a ploy so they don't have to pay for health insurance. Unless you think Fry's is a career potential for you, look elsewhere.
  4.  permalink
    "While I'm at it, would clocking in extra hours (despite being at or below 5 hours per day, under 32 hours per week) still get me fired? And if so, would that qualify me for unemployment?"

^ This. I'm getting hour cuts at my store down in So Cal as well. Does anyone else know if you can still qualify for unemployment if you get fired for working too many hours, but no overtime?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    If you're fired "for cause", then you can be denied unemployment. However, you can appeal the denial. 'course...it'd be a lot easier to just start looking for a new job and leave Fried behind, rather than wait for them to fire you.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMylo7
    Yeah, I am currently job-hunting right now. Apparently, a lot of people who leave Fry's often get much better jobs.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Mylo7: Apparently, a lot of people who leave Fry's often get much better jobs.

Amazing how that happens....
  5.  permalink
    Mylo7: Yeah, I am currently job-hunting right now. Apparently, a lot of people who leave Fry's often get much better jobs.
    When you're at rock bottom the only place you can go is up.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeJan 29th 2013 edited
    In California You can apply for Under Employment if your Regular hours have been cut, and still continue to work.  
    Quote ( You need to Google Your Question, This May Help )  

Total and Partial Unemployment TPU 80.1  

Alternate or Staggered Work Periods  

Paritial Employment  
    A claimant who is placed on an alternate work week schedule by his employer due to slack business conditions may remain in partial claim status so long as he continues to be available for full-time work, desires full-time work, and is willing to accept other employment while he is not working for his regular employer.  

Section 1252-1 of Title 22 defines a partially unemployed individual as follows:  

"(c) ’Partially unemployed individual’ means a person who during a week meets all of the following conditions:  

(1) He or she was employed by a regular employer.  

(2) He or she worked less than his or her normal customary full-time hours for his or her regular employer because of lack of full-time work.  

(3) He or she was continuously attached to his or her employer from the standpoint that there did not occur any severance of the employer-employee relationship."  

Good Luck !!!
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2013
    FrenchyFry: In California You can apply for Under Employment if your Regular hours have been cut, and still continue to work.  
    Quote ( You need to Google Your Question, This May Help )  

Total and Partial Unemployment TPU 80.1  

Alternate or Staggered Work Periods  

Paritial Employment  
    A claimant who is placed on an alternate work week schedule by his employer due to slack business conditions may remain in partial claim status so long as he continues to be available for full-time work, desires full-time work, and is willing to accept other employment while he is not working for his regular employer.  

Section 1252-1 of Title 22 defines a partially unemployed individual as follows:  

"(c) ’Partially unemployed individual’ means a person who during a week meets all of the following conditions:  

(1) He or she was employed by a regular employer.  

(2) He or she worked less than his or her normal customary full-time hours for his or her regular employer because of lack of full-time work.  

(3) He or she was continuously attached to his or her employer from the standpoint that there did not occur any severance of the employer-employee relationship."  

Good Luck !!!

This. When I came back from my first shoulder surgery and was cleared for full time, they kept me at 12 hours a week. After 2 weeks I called up the unemployment office and filed for the partial benefits. Was amazing how quickly they ran to get me back to full time after that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeJan 31st 2013
    EXACTLY !!! Fry's has ALWAYS assumed their Employees have no ideas of the Labor Laws. They would take Advantage of Every Employee and Management was Encouraged to take it as Far at They Can, until Someone Speaks up And Does Something about it... Example: Being told to Clock out and then having to Wait by the Closed Exit Door 10 - 20 minutes or longer for the Closing Manager to finally show Up to let them out...
  6.  permalink
    I believe this 50% labor cost cut...we just had about half of our merchandisers in my dept. randomly forced into sales!!
  7.  permalink
    It's funny I'm not sure why your SM/ASM's are cutting sales hours unless you're hourly base plus commission, because commission only does not affect your labor rate at all...silly noobs
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeFeb 14th 2013
    They may not affect labor, but every store has those associates that like to sell clearance merchandise because it pays more. So negative a couple hundred dollars and they make fifty or so. After a while they start to indirectly affect the departments GP.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 522
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2013
    The only problem is the clearance items no longer pay and they are doing heavy discounts on them to get them to move. If the item has a BX or OB sticker on it for more then the normal 5% off then they loose all of the commission. So there is no incentive to sell the discontinued items like before. As for the sales associate not getting hourly that is also incorrect. They get hourly if they do not meet the amount in commission so again they are generating labor. Yes they have to lay it back if they make more the next week witch is again an unfair act but until the lawsuit settles they have to deal with the B.S. As it looks right now some of the cuts they are doing to save labor is probably do to the fact that parts of California increased minimum wage to $10 an hour from $8 in certain parts like up in Northern California, so that means the associate's have to make more commission to make up the differences and if they don't fry's has to pay them at least that. The biggest problem is that knowing Fry's M.O. means that they will not increase what the item pays in commission and tell the associate to sell more add on to make up the difference.
  8.  permalink
    store 28 returns employees just got papers saying they will be getting rid of the returns dept...they have the option of going into sales or becoming a cashier...let the madness begin
  9.  permalink
    No returns associates? This was apparently a mess when tried at the Sunnyvale store, yet it is still being implemented at all the stores within the next few weeks and I forsee a lot of drama going down. There will be long lines of angry customers who have to wait for people who aren't familiar with the returns system and policies or have the product knowledge to either save the sale or recommend a replacement and will most likely return damaged, incomplete, or just plain wrong items which won't get tested or repackaged promptly or properly. Why? Because they are either part of the large amount of salespeople who want to get back to competing for commission or they are part of the small amount cashiers that have to take care of front checkout and the demeaning chores like cleaning restrooms. Returns associates are an easy target because of the hourly pay they get. However, when their job is done properly, it is more than deserved. They are put in the awkward position of having to help keep the business of customers who are often quite rude to them while being seen as the enemy of salespeople because they take away their commission to do so. There are times when there are no lines, and that is great, but there are also times when they have to balance multiple things at once...guess which times managers seem to notice more? Good returns associates do the work of multiple people. At different times during the day, they can fill the roles of cashier, merchandiser, salesperson, and service technician. A good customer service experience can go a long way in customer retention, especially when better quality products can often be purchased elsewhere (such as the internet) for less money. The fact that they are eliminating the position is yet another indication of the imminent downfall of this business.
    •  
      CommentAuthoryeahyeah
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013
    Once I saw what they did to my DM pay over 2 years ago, I got back into a 8-5 job making more money then I did as a DM after home office screwed all the DMs and when I handed my VQ to my SM I said I will be shocked if this company is around 3 years from now. He looked at me and laughed and said shit me too with the way they are treating everyone it makes it extremely hard for me to keep all the good ones like your self. Now I am going to have to retrain a new DM every 6 months in every dept. looks like he was right, and I hope I'm correct too. Nothing would make me laugh more then to see that place with a "going out of business" sale.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013
    yeahyeah: Once I saw what they did to my DM pay over 2 years ago, I got back into a 8-5 job making more money then I did as a DM after home office screwed all the DMs and when I handed my VQ to my SM I said I will be shocked if this company is around 3 years from now. He looked at me and laughed and said shit me too with the way they are treating everyone it makes it extremely hard for me to keep all the good ones like your self. Now I am going to have to retrain a new DM every 6 months in every dept. looks like he was right, and I hope I'm correct too. Nothing would make me laugh more then to see that place with a "going out of business" sale.

Oh I can imagine Webster with a "Total Liquidation" sign in front of it. I would pull up a chair and watch and the company collapsed. I wonder if they would sell the astronaut suits they have lol.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  10.  permalink
    034CSV:Oh I can imagine Webster with a "Total Liquidation" sign in front of it. I would pull up a chair and watch and the company collapsed. I wonder if they would sell the astronaut suits they have lol.
    I'd be there too. I wonder what Jennifer is gonna do when the ship sinks and she's spent her whole adult life at a failed electronics chain. I bet she ends up as a department supervisor at Best Buy or maybe SM of a Radio Shack.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2013
    Chris_Tomkinson:
    034CSV:Oh I can imagine Webster with a "Total Liquidation" sign in front of it. I would pull up a chair and watch and the company collapsed. I wonder if they would sell the astronaut suits they have lol.
    I'd be there too. I wonder what Jennifer is gonna do when the ship sinks and she's spent her whole adult life at a failed electronics chain. I bet she ends up as a department supervisor at Best Buy or maybe SM of a Radio Shack.

I'd be surprised if she even got one those positions. Who would want to hire a Ex-Manager from a failed electronic store? I have a feeling though that the SM's are all going to get those little white papers saying that their position is no longer needed. Why pay an SM the amount they get paid, when they can have the ASM do it for almost half of the pay.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully