Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2013
    So who else got this notice from their SM or ASM? The plan is to have cashiers leave FCO and go to CSV and do returns as needed. They will have sales associates try to save or return the larger sales (notebooks, tv's, etc.) Our SM tried to tell us we had to VQ if we didn't want to take a sales position in D2, D5, or D7. I wonder how long this will last...

IMG_20130217_175917.jpg
    I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Pay Change In Returns
    How are you former returns/receiving/coordinator people holding up in sales?
    Question about TV returns?
    Best Buy Returns and " The Retail Equation " You Can Not Return That !
    Returns
  2.  permalink
    Damn, wish I was in returns. I would have asked to transfer to Service.
    •  
      CommentAuthoryeahyeah
    Hold onto that letter, I'm sure the unemployment office will need it.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    I actually chose to transfer to a sales department. I'm not one of the ones waiting to be laid off. But yeah anyone else who got that letter hold onto it.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013 edited
    I plan to just be a cashier. Then collect unemployment for the difference in pay cut. I refuse to be in actual sales.:face-plain:I shit trains, Now what?
  3.  permalink
    Ah Ken, see you're running Randy's house into the ground and you still sign your name like a fucking two year-old.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013
    His signature looks Korean or some shit.I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2013
    Punkzilla: I plan to just be a cashier. Then collect unemployment for the difference in pay cut. I refuse to be in actual sales.:face-plain:

At least y'all had the option to go to D12. Our SM only gave us options for sales positions and then it was only for 2, 5, or 7.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeFeb 19th 2013
    034CSV: Our SM tried to tell us we had to VQ if we didn't want to take a sales position in D2, D5, or D7. I wonder how long this will last...

You might want to give the California Labor Relations Board a call on this. Your SM is trying to get Fry's out of paying unemployment benefits, which you're entitled to.
  4.  permalink
    For me, I wouldn't want to be a cashier. I've been there, done that. For those of you going to D12, I'd be prepared to be called on many times for returns...since you're already trained. Losing my position, getting a pay cut, then having to do the same job plus all of the other responsibilities just isn't appealing to me. Additionally, since I have not been trained to sell, Im very uncomfortable going into a commission only position. Could I learn, yes. However, the pressure, LPG's, lack of product knowledge, etc, combine to create a huge learning curve that will not be overcome with the help of Frys. I encourage you all to choose wisely and weigh all of your options. Do what is best for you, and not what you feel pressured into by Management.
  5.  permalink
    ObiWan:  
    You might want to give the California Labor Relations Board a call on this. Your SM is trying to get Fry's out of paying unemployment benefits, which you're entitled to.
    Store 34 is Webster, Texas, ObiWan. I don't think the California government would have any control over it (except in the CA stores of course).  

034CSV, who's going to staff the returns area now? I would assume cashiers but I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they made the commissioned sales associates do it. Do return associates still earn a relatively high hourly rate?  

This doesn't look good for Fry's. Having dedicated returns associates paid based on how many sales they saved kept a lot of money in the store. If they put cashiers on returns at a lower hourly rate with no incentive to save sales, returns will go way up.
  6.  permalink
    Let's think about this. First, when you go in to buy something, you're bombarded by a bunch of salespeople pushing whatever makes them the most commission. Next, you have to wait at front checkout to pay because there are fewer cashiers who now have to also cover returns. Then, if circumstances dictate a return, you have to wait for some combination of cashier/salesperson/manager to fumble through an unfamiliar system that is keeping them from making money from their normal job. Whatever money Fry's saves from cutting returns associates will pale in comparison to the loss caused by the increase in returns and loss of sales from having such poor service.
  7.  permalink
    Why not just have a big sign at check out saying "ALL SALES ARE FINAL!"
    •  
      CommentAuthorMylo7
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013 edited
    Store 15 is getting rid of their Returns department as well. From what I understand, their only options are just Department 2, 5, or 7 though.  

For anyone going back into sales, just remember: The PSC definitely does cover physical damage. :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeFeb 20th 2013
    @Chris - didn't realize that - thanks. That said, even here in Texas (yeah...I live here), that sort of stuff goes against the labor laws. Fry's is simply looking for ways to avoid paying unemployment.
  8.  permalink
    ObiWan: @Chris - didn't realize that - thanks. That said, even here in Texas (yeah...I live here), that sort of stuff goes against the labor laws. Fry's is simply looking for ways to avoid paying unemployment.
    I actually worked at Webster in computer sales. But of course Fry's would be shady and try to dodge their obligations to vendors, employees, the government, customers, etc. On the face of it, it seems quite nice of them to offer them another position within the store but it will almost certainly equal a pay cut since returns made really good money relative to sales associates (I think it was $12-14/hr on average but I could be mistaken). Sales *might* make that if you're really good at selling but they flooded the sales floor and now they're pushing price match ($0 commission) and ad items (of course $0 commission). Customer sees high-margin accessory (like one of those $80 gaming keyboards), pulls out the smartphone with a price scanning app and then instantly commission goes from $8 to $0 cause the price match took $20 off the Fry's price. Not to mention spending 5-10 minutes filling out the price change quote and then getting it approved by the supervisor (who is busy selling, not supervising, cause they're on commission now too) or even worse having to go all the way to the front of the store for SM/ASM approval if it's more than 30% off. I should stop now before I fill up the whole page but you get the point.  

Also to succeed in sales at Fry's you will have to stretch and bend the truth frequently. It really kills your soul after a while. I can't even begin to recount how many customers were tricked into buying the PSC cause it "covers everything" and then a year or two later they break the laptop and it's not covered and they come back to the department infuriated and swear they're never going to buy anything at Fry's again. One time a woman came in with a laptop with a bad motherboard (wouldn't boot past BIOS screen) and the PSC wasn't valid because two keys had come off the keyboard and it was "physical damage". They wouldn't touch it under her $200 PSC unless she paid $100 to fix the entirely unrelated keyboard. Needless to say, she's a loyal Best Buy customer now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 9471
    We were told at our location (Store 32 Alpharetta, Georgia - WORST IN THE COMPANY according to V-Con) that this change is for the entire company. We were given no option as to where we could go...just pick something and they'd tell us if it was possible. There wasn't any limit as to what department we went to (Receiving and E-Cage have been options for us). Not only are they foolishly taken our position and pay from us, they are demanding that we train our cashiers to do returns and be ready within TWO WEEKS! The majority of us here have held our positions for over a year at least and we'll all say that even now we are still learning. These cashiers are coming to us all excited to be "taking over"...NEWS FLASH! YOU AREN'T GETTING OUR PAY! They can't seem to to understand they are doing away with us as a way to save money. Give it time...in six months to year they will bring the department back but with much lower pay.

Sadly at our store, our Customer Service manger had to deliver the news to us...guess where our SM and ASM was...GONE FOR THE NEXT TWO DAYS!
  9.  permalink
    Are just deleting returns associates? What about the pic? Half of the cashiers and the supervisors dont know what to do over there
    •  
      CommentAuthorAviator08
    I work at store 34 and can confirm that cashiers will be taking over returns. What I don't understand is why they killed the position totally. If frys is looking to labor cost than just reduce the pay. Don't kill the whole position. Returns is an essential position for any retail store. It just seems ass backwards to me. I fear though that things will get worse before they get better.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3825
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2013
    Not only returns will be gone next month, but the store manager at store 31 was terminated as well.
  10.  permalink
    Guest: Not only returns will be gone next month, but the store manager at store 31 was terminated as well.
    For low store performance or policy violation?
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    Chris_Tomkinson:
    ObiWan:  
    Store 34 is Webster, Texas, ObiWan. I don't think the California government would have any control over it (except in the CA stores of course).  

034CSV, who's going to staff the returns area now? I would assume cashiers but I wouldn't be surprised at this point if they made the commissioned sales associates do it. Do return associates still earn a relatively high hourly rate?  

This doesn't look good for Fry's. Having dedicated returns associates paid based on how many sales they saved kept a lot of money in the store. If they put cashiers on returns at a lower hourly rate with no incentive to save sales, returns will go way up.

The MIC (If there even is one after all their eliminations) will be permanently stationed at the MIC Podium. They will do returns and if by chance and line starts to form they will call cashiers from FCO to assist in returns. commissioned Sales Associates will be called to try and save larger sales (Computers, System Builds, TV's, Appliances, Etc). However, if these sales associates are smart then they will know that they technically don't have to do this unless they are somehow getting paid for their time in returns.  

As for the labor laws in Texas.... well there pretty much aren't any. However, the UI Benefits in Texas are very clear about what makes an employee eligible for unemployment benefits. It has been stated by the SM/ASM at multiple stores that they will choose a position for the returns associates if they can not decide. I don't care what anyone says but moving an associate to any other position in that store is a pay cut, ESPECIALLY if the stores customer satisfaction percentage was high enough and they were earning $12.50 or higher in returns. Texas views any transfer or demotion as an Unfavorable Transfer. Unfavorable Transfers make employees eligible for UI Benefits even while they are still employed. So if any returns associates from Texas are reading this and have been moved to a lower paying position, make sure you apply for UI Benefits and include a copy of your elimination letter as proof.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    Mylo7: Store 15 is getting rid of their Returns department as well. From what I understand, their only options are just Department 2, 5, or 7 though.  

For anyone going back into sales, just remember: The PSC definitely does cover physical damage. :face-devil-grin:

I'll make sure I tell ALL my customers that when I get transferred back to computers.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  11.  permalink
    034CSV:The MIC (If there even is one after all their eliminations) will be permanently stationed at the MIC Podium. They will do returns and if by chance and line starts to form they will call cashiers from FCO to assist in returns. commissioned Sales Associates will be called to try and save larger sales (Computers, System Builds, TV's, Appliances, Etc). However, if these sales associates are smart then they will know that they technically don't have to do this unless they are somehow getting paid for their time in returns.
    There really aren't enough cashiers though, they were constantly calling merchandisers up to the front to man the registers. So now they'll call merchandisers to work the registers and then call cashiers to work returns? I feel sorry for the poor MIC doing the job of 2-3 people now.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013
    Chris_Tomkinson:
    034CSV:The MIC (If there even is one after all their eliminations) will be permanently stationed at the MIC Podium. They will do returns and if by chance and line starts to form they will call cashiers from FCO to assist in returns. commissioned Sales Associates will be called to try and save larger sales (Computers, System Builds, TV's, Appliances, Etc). However, if these sales associates are smart then they will know that they technically don't have to do this unless they are somehow getting paid for their time in returns.
    There really aren't enough cashiers though, they were constantly calling merchandisers up to the front to man the registers. So now they'll call merchandisers to work the registers and then call cashiers to work returns? I feel sorry for the poor MIC doing the job of 2-3 people now.

Apparently there wont be any more merchandiser positions either. Someone said that they are trying to go back to Accessory Sales positions.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  12.  permalink
    Too many salespeople bugging the customers, not enough people in front checkout or returns. Things are being taken back either missing pieces or wind up missing pieces because the lack of quality control on the repackaging. Computers/tablets are not being restored and hard drives not reformatted...possibly to be alleviated by service, but that means interdepartment LABOR charges (thought the point was saving on labor). Customers are yelling and throwing things, so salespeople aren't being called to save sales because the cashiers just want the people out of their faces. I don't even know how the holidays will be...if Fry's makes it, that is.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeMar 15th 2013
    Guest: Too many salespeople bugging the customers, not enough people in front checkout or returns. Things are being taken back either missing pieces or wind up missing pieces because the lack of quality control on the repackaging. Computers/tablets are not being restored and hard drives not reformatted...possibly to be alleviated by service, but that means interdepartment LABOR charges (thought the point was saving on labor). Customers are yelling and throwing things, so salespeople aren't being called to save sales because the cashiers just want the people out of their faces. I don't even know how the holidays will be...if Fry's makes it, that is.

It's defiantly a mess.I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 5009
    • CommentTimeMar 16th 2013
    Sounds like a disaster! Once again frys did not think about a decision. Who knoes whats next
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 4727
    Just close the store that is the best soulution.
  13.  permalink
    Lurker here. What's the MIC? FCO? What are the Department numbers? Thanks.
  14.  permalink
    Guest: Lurker here. What's the MIC? FCO? What are the Department numbers? Thanks.

MIC: Manager in Charge [of the store].  
    FCO: Front check out  
    D1: Components (stuff to build a PC, cables, transistors, hard drives, resistors, fuses, etc)  
    D2: Computers (includes pre-built laptops, desktops, monitors, and printers also video cards and sound cards)  
    D3: Software (also includes music, video games, DVDs and Blu-Rays)  
    D4: Service (computer repairs, and they handle extended warranty claims)  
    D5: Audio/Video (TVs, home theater, cameras, stereo equipment)  
    D7: Appliance/Telecom (appliances and phones)
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 3458
    034csv ,change ur damn name and ditch it. People know who you are. You preached anonymity but obviously give away who you are with that user Id
  15.  permalink
    Chris_ Thanks.
  16.  permalink
    I'm not gonna lie,

I thought the majority of returns people were stupid anyways; I don't think this will affect the company's level of customer service very much. From the few times that I have seen, the only thing that has changed is that the area gets a little dirty so the district manager will have more to bitch about during their visit.
  17.  permalink
    I wonder if all these changes over the last 3 years are really improving numbers?
    I was there in 2011 when they basically cut all the hourly positions and turned the entire floor into salesmen. I thought it was the dumbest thing they could have ever done, but they just kept right on proving me wrong. They turned the MT position into a commission only one shortly after. Then after I quit they turned the Sup position commission only. If you MT and Sup are trying to get sales who is managing the department? I really can't believe anyone thought that decision through all the way.

Now you want your FCO running back and forth between returns? And what exactly happens when there is a line a checkout and returns? Oh right, there are no lines anymore because you stopped caring about THE MOST IMPORTANT part of running a retail store, the service.

I tried unsuccessfully before I quit to suggest my department go with fewer sales people and hire a few more hourly. That way we could have 3 or 4 hourly there at a time to do schematics, stock, and basically keep the department in order. Then you only 2 or 3 sales associates to work with the customers looking to make purchases. Fry's idea though ended up being to cut the hourly and go with 4-6 sales associates at all times. This meant you had no one being paid to give a crap about the schematics, stock, and cleaning except the supervisors, but hey I guess that was even to much care bearing going on because they put an end to that as well.

If you go into a Fry's today and wonder why the shelves are bare and things are out of place and unkempt it's simply because Fry's stopped paying their employees to care. They are only paid to care about the money in your pocket and you simply can't have good customer service that way.
  18.  permalink
    Guest: I wonder if all these changes over the last 3 years are really improving numbers?  
    I was there in 2011 when they basically cut all the hourly positions and turned the entire floor into salesmen. I thought it was the dumbest thing they could have ever done, but they just kept right on proving me wrong. They turned the MT position into a commission only one shortly after. Then after I quit they turned the Sup position commission only. If you MT and Sup are trying to get sales who is managing the department?
    I guess they'll just carry it to the logical conclusion and make everyone either commission sales or a cashier with the store manager running the whole thing.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeMar 29th 2013
    Guest: 034csv ,change ur damn name and ditch it. People know who you are. You preached anonymity but obviously give away who you are with that user Id

I don't care, I don't even work there anymore lol.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  19.  permalink
    034CSV: I don't care, I don't even work there anymore lol.

Oh wow. When did you quit and why?
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013
    Chris_Tomkinson:
    034CSV: I don't care, I don't even work there anymore lol.

Oh wow. When did you quit and why?

Okay so I actually stayed a little bit longer and used every day of vacation I had left lol. I actually had more time left to use but one day I woke up and said today is the today,so I turned in my VQ and faxed my Exit Interview to Home Office so Jennifer wouldn't "lose" it. By that time I had been working for another company for about four months so I knew I would be better without Frys.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  20.  permalink
    @ Guest 14763

How dare you provide intellectual incite on how Fry's should operate. Didn't you know the plan of Ken Lutz all along was to replace everyone with robots but all they had in the meantime were inferior (need compassion and a paycheck) human robots?

Fry's and logic is an oxymoron

Why does Fry's still have an ASM position? I still cant understand why they have this position that seems like all their duties could be done by the SM anyway. Cutting returns doesn't help the bottom line, eliminating a completely pointless upper-manager position does. The returns associates are vital to the customer expeirence, or what ever is left of that now, not a salaried manager who sits on their ass all day.
  21.  permalink
    @034CSV

are you referring to Jennifer Haddan at home office?
  22.  permalink
    The true test of them getting rid of returns is near. When I used to work in returns I dreaded black friday because it marks the day of when the holiday season began and then the day after is when the flood gates of returns open up for the next 3 months. I assume managers will be working returns almost all day and there will be a lot of mistakes because of poor training of the cashiers to take returns.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 7899
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013
    Welp, this will be interesting.
  23.  permalink
    FCO doubles as a lousy Returns
    Merchandiser doubles as a lousy FCO
    Salesperson doubles as a lousy Merchandiser
    Supervisor doubles as a lousy Salesperson
    Dept. Manager doubles as a lousy Supervisor
    Joe Claire eats whenever humanly possible.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeNov 29th 2013
    Guest: FCO doubles as a lousy Returns  
    Merchandiser doubles as a lousy FCO  
    Salesperson doubles as a lousy Merchandiser  
    Supervisor doubles as a lousy Salesperson  
    Dept. Manager doubles as a lousy Supervisor  
    Joe Claire eats whenever humanly possible.

This is too true. Fix your shit Fry's.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 408
    • CommentTimeNov 30th 2013
    LMAO@ Joe Claire eating whenever humanly possible. Seems like everybody at that store (Concord, 24) was a hot mess the other day. Having people who knew nothing about the sales floor pull items for in stores 5 minutes before opening was a great idea (NOT) Having front checkout full of inexperienced cashiers with 2 days of experiene and Heather walking away when the transaction got tricky for the cashier was a great idea (NOT) having new sales people on the floor who didn't get training because the incompetent department supervisor who doesn't know how to do anything their Damn selves decided the best thing to do was have them work as a merchandisers for 4 weeks and hope they can handle sales was a great idea (NOT)

FRYS quite frankly is and has always been a mess...fuck a VQ, run for the hills, there still might be enough time to save your brain from the damage that place causes.