Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeFeb 21st 2013 edited
    Deleted.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  1.  permalink
    At least hire someone who knows how to use a soldering tool. I work for a local pc repair shop after I left Fry's and I was told by people who went to Fry's that they would charge them $400 to have a DC jack fixed on a laptop. I always tell them that they would replace the entire motherboard because it's easier for them to do it hence the $400. We do the same service except we unsolder and resolder a new DC jack for half!

Also we try to keep our turnaround to a max of two weeks (unless we have to order the part, but we inform the customer ahead of time after we run the diagnostics). I hear horror stories of Fry's Service Departments keeping customer computers for months because the channel they use don't have the part or they end up just sending it back to the manufacturer if it is under warranty.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeFeb 22nd 2013
    They've gone to the mostly sending everything to the manufacturer if they can. Then all they have to do is pay the shipping and everything else is profit.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  2.  permalink
    Than WTF do they do now in-store?
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    System builds, ink refills, and out of warranty repairs. That's about it...I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    Guest: At least hire someone who knows how to use a soldering tool. I work for a local pc repair shop after I left Fry's and I was told by people who went to Fry's that they would charge them $400 to have a DC jack fixed on a laptop. I always tell them that they would replace the entire motherboard because it's easier for them to do it hence the $400. We do the same service except we unsolder and resolder a new DC jack for half!  

Also we try to keep our turnaround to a max of two weeks (unless we have to order the part, but we inform the customer ahead of time after we run the diagnostics). I hear horror stories of Fry's Service Departments keeping customer computers for months because the channel they use don't have the part or they end up just sending it back to the manufacturer if it is under warranty.

That would actually involve Fry's giving us a decent soldering tool.
  3.  permalink
    Idea: eliminate the costly service techs and just have cashiers and merchandisers take over service.
  4.  permalink
    "Idea: eliminate the costly service techs and just have cashiers and merchandisers take over service."

That is a great idea, Chris. They should do the same with LPOs, Store Managers, and ASMs.
  5.  permalink
    Guest: That is a great idea, Chris. They should do the same with LPOs, Store Managers, and ASMs.
    Exactly! Why pay skilled, experienced people high wages when you can pay people $8 an hour for the same thing?
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013
    Chris_Tomkinson:
    Guest: That is a great idea, Chris. They should do the same with LPOs, Store Managers, and ASMs.
    Exactly! Why pay skilled, experienced people high wages when you can pay people $8 an hour for the same thing?

Ya know... I think that could work.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  6.  permalink
    Implying that Cashiers would know how to fix broken laptop screens or even install memory or an OS.
  7.  permalink
    Guest: Implying that Cashiers would know how to fix broken laptop screens or even install memory or an OS.
    So? They can just show them a training video and then they'll be fully prepared.
  8.  permalink
    But what about the in-store IT guy? I remember one of the Service Techs would also work on every POS system on the floor that would break down.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeFeb 23rd 2013
    Guest: But what about the in-store IT guy? I remember one of the Service Techs would also work on every POS system on the floor that would break down.

The IS Tech position was eliminated. Now all the service techs work on frys assets.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  9.  permalink
    i have no comments here except that maybe they should hire some DDMs that actually worked in service just saying...
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeMar 2nd 2013
    Guest: i have no comments here except that maybe they should hire some DDMs that actually worked in service just saying...

That would really help. I don't think the District 3 Service DDM has actually ever worked in the department.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  10.  permalink
    If that fat bastard Barry is still a DDM then yeah he used to be a service DM in 22
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2013
    Guest: If that fat bastard Barry is still a DDM then yeah he used to be a service DM in 22

Oh okay. How long has it been since he worked at 22?I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
  11.  permalink
    I think 9 years if I'm not mistaken
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeMar 22nd 2013
    034CSV:
    Guest: But what about the in-store IT guy? I remember one of the Service Techs would also work on every POS system on the floor that would break down.

The IS Tech position was eliminated. Now all the service techs work on frys assets.

Ha, yeah, I don't know what it's like at other stores right now, but at my old store, the broken equipment is piling up store wide. They just don't have anyone to fix the stuff now that the IS Tech is gone, and they're already severely short staffed in Service as it is with most of the supervisor positions and coordinator position being eliminated. Essentially, unless the broken thing is completely preventing the customer from paying for their purchase, it's not a priority.
  12.  permalink
    Is it true Service people actually break people's stuff on purpose to make more money?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013
    Guest: Is it true Service people actually break people's stuff on purpose to make more money?

Take something there to be fixed and find out
  13.  permalink
    Guest: Is it true Service people actually break people's stuff on purpose to make more money?

No. They're just incompetent.
  14.  permalink
    A while back I bought a multisystem VCR with an extended warranty in because it had a lot of snow showing on all the old tapes I had, this did show up on other VCRs I owned. I brought this in the service department and told one of the techs my issue. He said that if they had a look into the VCR and nothing was wrong with it they would charge me $50. I asked him doesn't the extended warranty cover this? He said if there is something wrong this it is covered, but if nothing shows up they'll charge me. I was thinking what if they didn't do shit and charged me anyways. That made me so mad I left.

Does the service department actually have this stipulation or did he just B.S. me?
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeMar 27th 2013
    Guest:Does the service department actually have this stipulation or did he just B.S. me?

To my knowledge, Service shouldn't be charging if you had a Performance Service Contract in the allotted time. Either it being defective or working.I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeMar 28th 2013
    Guest: A while back I bought a multisystem VCR with an extended warranty in because it had a lot of snow showing on all the old tapes I had, this did show up on other VCRs I owned. I brought this in the service department and told one of the techs my issue. He said that if they had a look into the VCR and nothing was wrong with it they would charge me $50. I asked him doesn't the extended warranty cover this? He said if there is something wrong this it is covered, but if nothing shows up they'll charge me. I was thinking what if they didn't do shit and charged me anyways. That made me so mad I left.  

Does the service department actually have this stipulation or did he just B.S. me?

Yes, if there is nothing wrong, we could not bill the service contract. Someone has to pay for the time spent. I don't know how many people I wound up pissing off cause they brought in a horribly infected system that had nothing but the 60 day Norton trial installed and 3 years past expiration and wondering why they were billed to fix it. Same with the random cups of water/coffee/other various liquids spilled on laptops.
  15.  permalink
    Wow t0rrent, it does make somewhat of sense. The hardware being totally in tact but the software FUBAR. But would the customer get a call first or would you just fix it and bill them?

On a side note, so many PSC wouldn't sell if customers knew the runaround involved with all the technicalities. I bet salesmen completely omit the facts about Software when a PSC is on the line.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeApr 1st 2013
    Guest: Wow t0rrent, it does make somewhat of sense. The hardware being totally in tact but the software FUBAR. But would the customer get a call first or would you just fix it and bill them?  

On a side note, so many PSC wouldn't sell if customers knew the runaround involved with all the technicalities. I bet salesmen completely omit the facts about Software when a PSC is on the line.

We would always call first, but during check in I would repeat that they would be liable for the $59.99 diagnostic fee (sure it's changed in the many years since I left) if no issue was found or the issue was due to something not covered (physical damage, virus etc). Probably the worst was the person who brought in a computer for no sound (I didn't check it in, I just happened to be the one who worked on it), plugged in the speakers, turned it on, and once in windows immediately saw the speakers were muted. Unmuted them and had perfect sound. Managed decided to be nice for some reason and we just billed them twenty bucks for what was 5 minutes of work.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeApr 13th 2013 edited
    Guest: A while back I bought a multisystem VCR with an extended warranty in because it had a lot of snow showing on all the old tapes I had, this did show up on other VCRs I owned. I brought this in the service department and told one of the techs my issue. He said that if they had a look into the VCR and nothing was wrong with it they would charge me $50. I asked him doesn't the extended warranty cover this? He said if there is something wrong this it is covered, but if nothing shows up they'll charge me. I was thinking what if they didn't do shit and charged me anyways. That made me so mad I left.  

T0rrent already explained this pretty well guest, but to add my own observations... a lot of customers are under the impression that Fry's is somehow one giant "family like" single organization where no one has to worry about what their paycheck will look like from month to month because we all somehow work together and share the reward. In reality, Fry's has structured the stores in a totally compartmentalized way where everyone is paid on commission based on what they are able to charge someone or something. Service is almost like a separate company that's physically within Fry's. When you purchase a PSC agreement, that money goes to an account at Fry's banking subsidiary in San Jose, where it proceeds to collect interest. If you bring in something where the tech has to now spend time looking at it and testing it and he discovers that the problem is not covered by the PSC contract, then that means he can't bill Fry's Electronics in San Jose (what they call "billing the PSC") in order to get paid for his time. He spent time working on your machine however, and it's not a "free repair shop", he needs to get paid, so that's why you sign that paper when you bring in your machine that states "if the problem is not covered by your PSC, then you'll be charged a 69.95 diagnostic fee". (Apparently it was cheaper when t0rrent worked there).  

Usually our service department would always restore the machine back to normal working order as a result since the customer will already have to pay the 70 bucks for the diagnostic. However we almost never called the customer to ask if they wanted a data backup first or if we should proceed with the restore. Instead, we'd always tell them at the counter when they'd dropped the machine off, "we'll frequently have to do a read-write test on the computer during the diagnostic, which means there's a high likelihood that your data could be erased. Do you want a backup?" If you wanted a backup, then the tech would do a backup. If not, then they wouldn't.  

As a side note, I actually tended to be pretty thorough when it came to repairs. I'd run every test you could do on peoples machines before carrying out repairs, which meant that half the time I'd find problems that the customer wasn't even aware of and fix them since I knew that the customer would end up bringing it in again in a few months. I'd also backup almost every customers "My Documents" folder to my personal thumb drive before wiping the machine and restoring it, even if they didn't request it (I'd store it on my thumb drive for about 2 weeks before I'd have to delete their folder in order to make room for more customers docs). This acted as my "insurance policy" so I could avoid dealing with pissed off customers that wouldn't read the contract they signed and would freak out that we deleted their stuff, even though we told them before hand that there was a high likelihood that it would be deleted. Some customers make such a scene with the manager that we then have to do "data recoveries", which are about 100 times worse than data backups, which was why I'd always back them up regardless so that way the "data recovery" would be a snap.  

Also, if I was the one who checked the customer in at the counter, and they were just a really cool and likable person, I'd usually take the time to copy their My Documents from my thumb drive back to their machine, even though they didn't pay for it. Where as when customers were assholes, I definitely wouldn't go out of my way to do them any favors.