Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthordanar
    • CommentTimeFeb 26th 2013 edited
    Hi everybody,  

Its been like pulling teeth, but I finally got Fry's to honor the extended warranty and they finally decided that it would be cheaper to replace it with a new TV than to fix it.  

But, I'm really skeptical about Fry's replacing the TV- they want to replace it with an out-of-the-box TV from another manufacturer that Fry's gets to decide is similar to my TV. And,the TV broke down two and a half years into my 5 year warranty. But, when Fry's replaces it, that extended warranty won't carry over so I'll only get the manufacturer's 1 year warranty on the TV which concerns me since we're talking about an out-of-the-box TV.  

Does anybody know if Fry's ever just writes a check for the replacement which happens with some extended warranties, according to this site:  

http://consumerist.com/2010/12/28/23-things-an-extended-warranty-call-center-rep-wished-you-knew/  

"9. IF YOU ARE OFFERED A REPLACEMENT, IT WILL BE OF LIKE SPECIFICATIONS TO YOUR OLD PRODUCT, REGARDLESS OF PRICE. (Also called Electronics Depreciate in Value over time)  
    That $2000 laptop you just HAD TO HAVE two years ago is only worth about $500 now, this is a warranty, not an upgrade plan, please do not complain about the price, we will not give you anything worse than what you had. If you are not satisfied with the replacement, you can request a check for the cost of the replacement."  

I'm not expecting a check for what I originally paid for the TV, but I'd prefer a check for the value of the price TV over a replacement TV because I could then choose the TV instead of Fry's deciding what I get and I could get an extra year of warranty if I buy it from Costco or if I use an American Express vs the one year warranty I'll get with Fry's TV.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Frys Extended Warranty Repair/Replacement - we got nothing from it!!!
    Extended Warranty for Sony DSLR
    Can get a replacement 1080 if mine has coil whine?
    Extended Warranty on open items/display item
    Fry's Extended Warranty Process - 62" DLP HDTV
  2.  permalink
    At our service department we did this quite often so you should be able to ask them to do this. As far as I know we ONLY gave store credit in this situation, out of all the times I saw this it was store credit and nothing else. The way it works is whatever TV they decide to give you is billed to the internal PSC account and then its returned for store credit that you can use. Word of warning since its an older open box TV the returned price is not going to be very much...
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013
    When I was in Service the SM/ASM had the option of giving store credit in the value of the replacement item and you could then use that for whatever you wanted. It's not a guarantee it will happen though. Have to talk to the SM/ASM to see if they will work with you on that.
    •  
      CommentAuthordanar
    • CommentTimeFeb 27th 2013
    Thanks everybody for your help. It looks like I have no shot at a check, which would have been my first option, since I'd rather go to Costco and get a Vizio cause I've heard good things about the quality of the picture.  

So, I finally got Fry's to not send an out-of-the-box TV as a replacement.  

But, I still have some issues because I'm not really happy with the TV they'll send. I understand that prices have dropped in two years and my replacement wasn't going to be anywhere expensive as the TV I bought.  

But, more than 2 years ago, I bought a mid level HDTV- not the most expensive TV option but not a entry level one either. Yet, the replacement seems like its going to be an entry level TV, albeit with the same specs for 1080, 120 Hz, etc..  

When Fry's agrees to a replacement, has anybody seen Fry's agree to replace a mid tier TV with a mid tier TV instead of just matching the specs because 2 TVs with the same specs doesn't mean they'll be the same in quality.  

Any ideas or suggestions what I could do to get Fry to agree to replace my TV with a better TV than the one they're offering? A mid tier TV means more store credit, assuming I got it, which means I'd have more money to get a better TV or even go up in size. I'd be willing to use that store credit and then spend more to get a better TV. But, with value of the replacement TV they're offering, I'd need to throw in such a large of chunk of money, more than I want to spend, to do any of that.
  3.  permalink
    Yeah, its really a crap shoot on what they will do for you. Good luck.
  4.  permalink
    danar:But, more than 2 years ago, I bought a mid level HDTV- not the most expensive TV option but not a entry level one either. Yet, the replacement seems like its going to be an entry level TV, albeit with the same specs for 1080, 120 Hz, etc..  

When Fry's agrees to a replacement, has anybody seen Fry's agree to replace a mid tier TV with a mid tier TV instead of just matching the specs because 2 TVs with the same specs doesn't mean they'll be the same in quality.
    That's how all technology is though. If you bought a mid-range computer two years ago, it will be comparable to the low-end entry level one today. Or if you bought the latest and greatest smartphone in 2011, its the one they give out for free with 2-year contract today. It's a service and *replacement* plan, not an upgrade plan. I do agree that the PSC is deceptively marketed and not a very good contract but, by giving you a TV of comparable specification, Fry's really is holding up their end of the deal.  

Any ideas or suggestions what I could do to get Fry to agree to replace my TV with a better TV than the one they're offering? A mid tier TV means more store credit, assuming I got it, which means I'd have more money to get a better TV or even go up in size.
    Return the one they gave you for store credit, and then use the store credit and some of your own money to upgrade. Again, the PSC doesn't entitle you to an upgrade, just repair of your TV or replacement with a comparable one.
  5.  permalink
    No cigar my amigo call 408-487-4500 ask for jeff staat or ken lutz good luck frys warrantys are well written to try and screw you.. unfortunatley your best chance is to try to find the district manager of computers and explain your story to him/her and that maybe able to help you ive seen some strings pulled if the issue warranted. But Your mileage may vary****.. Good luck
  6.  permalink
    call this number good luck 408-396-6486
    •  
      CommentAuthordanar
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2013 edited
    So, with my fingers crossed, I finally agreed to the replacement TV instead of trying to fight for store credit because this was already taking up a lot of time and it didn't seem like I was getting anywhere.
    •  
      CommentAuthordanar
    • CommentTimeMar 3rd 2013 edited
    That's how all technology is though. If you bought a mid-range computer two years ago, it will be comparable to the low-end entry level one today. Or if you bought the latest and greatest smartphone in 2011, its the one they give out for free with 2-year contract today. It's a service and *replacement* plan, not an upgrade plan. I do agree that the PSC is deceptively marketed and not a very good contract but, by giving you a TV of comparable specification, Fry's really is holding up their end of the deal.

But, the TV they replaced it with just doesn't seem as good in terms of picture quality as the one they're replacing. I don't know if this is a problem for new TVs in general where TV manufactures focused more on gadgets than on picture quality or just the TV Fry's supplied, but can we really call it a replacement if its not as good?  

I noticed it right away, and I'm not the only person who saw that the picture's just not as sharp as before. Plus, I'm getting all these distracting reflections off the screen that wasn't a problem before where I have to turn off all the lights now. And, I was having these problems with the remote because its completely different from my old remote where I just turned off the TV rather than catch up all the stuff I missed when my TV was broken.  

I don't really understand why Fry's insists on making it so difficult. It just seems like it would have been less trouble to replace the TV with a budget one from the same manufacturer instead of more or less insisting that I had to get a budget TV from a completely different manufacturer. My suspicion is that it was more about Fry's trying to unload that particular TV they gave me instead of trying to replace my TV.  

At this point, I'd almost prefer for Fry's to repair my old TV rather than give me a new TV but that won't happen because its cheaper for Fry's to give me this new TV than it would be to repair my old TV.  

Return the one they gave you for store credit, and then use the store credit and some of your own money to upgrade. Again, the PSC doesn't entitle you to an upgrade, just repair of your TV or replacement with a comparable one.

I'm not demanding an upgrade; I just want a TV that gives me the same quality picture as my previous TV.  

I mentioned getting a upgrade or bigger TV as an opportunity for Fry's to make more money because I would have been willing to put in additional money on top of the store credit to do that but Fry's didn't want to give me the store credit so I'm stuck with the TV they gave me. Instead, assuming I ever shopped at Fry's again, I'll never, ever buy their extended warranty plan even though that's a major profit generator for Fry's.  

This could have been an opportunity for Fry's to turn me into a loyal customer, and they blew it.
  7.  permalink
    Not wanting to let you get a different tv sounds strange, we do that at least half the time where I am. One positive for you is that you're still under your PSC, just keep both in invoices. We've said it uses it up to get an exchange for as long as I can remember, but it says nothing like that in the contract.
  8.  permalink
    definitelynotservice: One positive for you is that you're still under your PSC, just keep both in invoices.
    If I recall correctly, once a replacement/refund is issued, the PSC is considered fulfilled and does not apply to the replacement TV.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 8228
    • CommentTimeMar 14th 2013
    Who's number is that
    •  
      CommentAuthordanar
    • CommentTimeMar 18th 2013
    Guest: No cigar my amigo call 408-487-4500 ask for jeff staat or ken lutz good luck frys warrantys are well written to try and screw you.. unfortunatley your best chance is to try to find the district manager of computers and explain your story to him/her and that maybe able to help you ive seen some strings pulled if the issue warranted. But Your mileage may vary****.. Good luck

Who's the district manager of computers for D2, the southern California region, and what's the number?  

I knew the new TV wasn't as good as my old TV so I looked through the specs until I found out why, and I think I actually found something to prove that the replacement TV doesn't match my old TV. But, I can't find somebody at Fry's with the power to do something about that.  

First, I tried contacting the Service Department Manager from the Fry's store I bought it from. I called, and left a message and never got any response back. So, I had to call his number a bunch of times to talk to him in person but he was never there. Finally, I got a hold of him but then he passed the buck by saying it was the San Jose office that determined what replacement TV I got.  

So, I tried the San Jose numbers that were listed. But, again, its hard to reach Ken Lutz and he has no voicemail to leave a message. So, I tried calling multiple times at different times in the morning, lunchtime, and afternoon but it seems like he's never in the office. I tried Jeff Stat, and it never seems like he's in the office either.  

Finally, I called the other San Jose number only to find out it was Jeff Stat's personal cell phone number and he wasn't too happy that I called his personal cell phone number... And, then he passes the buck to the local store I bought the TV from even thought that store had already passed the buck to the San Jose office.
  9.  permalink
    danar: Who's the district manager of computers for D2, the southern California region, and what's the number?
    Computer department would have nothing to do with a PSC for a TV. That would be the service department.  
    I knew the new TV wasn't as good as my old TV so I looked through the specs until I found out why, and I think I actually found something to prove that the replacement TV doesn't match my old TV. But, I can't find somebody at Fry's with the power to do something about that.
    What kind of proof, exactly?  
    First, I tried contacting the Service Department Manager from the Fry's store I bought it from. I called, and left a message and never got any response back. So, I had to call his number a bunch of times to talk to him in person but he was never there. Finally, I got a hold of him but then he passed the buck by saying it was the San Jose office that determined what replacement TV I got.
    I would recommend physically visiting the store. Department managers are busy and it can be hard to get a hold of them by phone. Ask the store manager for his/her boss's number.  
    Finally, I called the other San Jose number only to find out it was Jeff Stat's personal cell phone number and he wasn't too happy that I called his personal cell phone number... And, then he passes the buck to the local store I bought the TV from even thought that store had already passed the buck to the San Jose office.
    Yeah, each can now direct you to the other. Maybe get them both on a three-way call and ask where the buck stops? It's a far fetched scenario but the results might be interesting.  

I don't think you'll get very far though because, from Fry's point of view, they have already held up their end of the bargain by giving you a new TV. Be thankful you were only partially screwed on the PSC, as many purchasers get fully screwed. The Fry's Electronics customer care philosophy is "there's more fish in the sea" which was true back in the good old days before Amazon and Newegg and price scanner iPhone apps. They really don't have much time left now, as you can see by how they're cutting labor and pay and how many empty shelves there are in the stores.  

Memo to Fry's home office: change the meaning of PSC to Protection Screws Customers.
    •  
      CommentAuthordanar
    • CommentTimeMar 20th 2013 edited
    What kind of proof, exactly?  

Like I said, I looked through the specs between the two TVs and found one of the specs for this new TV is inferior than my old TV. If Fry's wants to try to hide behind the argument that the specs for the new TV matched the old TV, then by that argument, all I need to do is to show to Fry's that the specs aren't the same.  

Even though it took a long time for Fry's to find and approve a replacement TV that matched the specs for my broken TV, I don't really think that they really went through the specs to see if they all matched up beyond a cursory glance at things like screen size and 120 HZ and specs like that.
  10.  permalink
    You are killing me with curiosity, what exactly is this spec you found on the new TV that does not match up to the old one? What was it on your old TV and what is it now on the new one?