Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013 edited
    This Post was Sort of Hidden and is a Fairly Accurate Portrayal of Fry's and it's Treatment of Employees...  

( Reposted from Guest 22136 )  

Theres a lot of people here saying not to shop and Frys and then not explaining why they shouldnt. I will do that for you.  

100% commission based salespeople. Anything on sale gives ZERO commission so it is their job and livelihood to say that sale item is either out of stock or that a higher priced crappier item is a much better deal.  

100% commission based salespeople have to do non-paid labor (schematics, go-backs, etc). So for 2-3 hours a day everyweek, they must either do a shitty job at both because again... 100% commission.  

Most items in Frys pays the salespeople about $0.10 commission to about $0.50 commission. Games/Software pays ZERO. Asking for help regarding this usually costs the salesperson money (Draw system... will get into that a bit later)  

For a salesperson to receive credit on ANYTHING, they must take you and your items to a computer terminal to: get your name, last name, address, phone number, etc. Imagine doing this for a simple usb cable. You can either say, "fk it I dont have time for this" and leave, but doing so just prevented a worker from their precious $0.10.  

Associates are judged based on how many PSC's (extended warranties) they sell. PSC's are the biggest fruad Fry's electronics is committing because they do NOT fix or even try to do help the customer. ($79.99 diagnostic fee regardless of having a PSC.) What they do is claim water damage or that you have bent the pins on the cpu/capacitor/etc by applying pressure to the middle of the device. This is to code a device as "Accidental/Physical damage that the PSC does not cover and renders the contract void. (You do NOT get a refund btw).  

Fry's does not have any custodial/stocking/etc associates. That means cashiers, merchandisers, etc (that are on commission) need to go to the parking lot and gather all the carts, sweep the lot, and other random stuff. It doesn't matter if it is pouring rain. You will see associates in business attire sweeping the parking lot.  

Draw system encourages complete shady sales practices or customer relations. If a customer wants to just get help with info or looking around. DO NOT HELP THEM. Helping them will put you at negative pay per hour, which means you will enter the draw system. This is when an associate doesn't make enough to get minimum wage, the store will give you a couple bucks to make up for it. HOWEVER, the next paycheck they will recoup it back and then fire you.  

Any time an associate messes up, they give you this magical 5 day leave. After the leave they will schedule you for 40 mins every other hour (miss 1 and you will be put on the 5 day leave again). So you will basically have to go to the store 4-5 times a day to get a couple hours of pay. This is done to get you to quit so they wont have to pay you for unemployment.  

Associates have to sit in 1-3 hour conferences regarding which items will be on sale so make sure to sell X instead. During these conferences, associates are making $0. So when they get out. They must do shady practices to get in the positive. Like adding random services and fees to your purchase and label them as "california recycling fees, federal waste fee, etc etc"  

GO TO BEST BUY. Even at their worst, they are better than Fry's.  

Theres a lot more. If this gets attention ill expand a bit more. This is what just goes on everyday.  

Edit: Here's what happens when you put 100% commission associates to do non-paid labor: http://imgur.com/E9J3YJ7 They just stash goback carts in the darkest isle of the store and write it off.  

You may think I was exaggerating the sweeping in the rain part... nope: http://imgur.com/lCACBfN  
    Pricematching at Fry's is the BIGGEST and most TERRIBLE policy they have. Basically, if you pricematch ANYTHING at Fry's, the difference will come out of the salespersons commission. NO JOKE.  

( Repost From Guest 22136 )  

http://www.reddit.com/r/GameDeals/comments/1c94f0/starcraft_ii_heart_of_the_swarm_2999_10_off/c9eh68j

Frys Employees.JPG

Hidden Stock Carts.JPG
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 14th 2013
    I could probably make a few corrections to that post... lazy atm so I'll only post a few:  

The commission numbers are actually a lot more than just a few cents. Only small items and accessories pay a couple cents in commission, but bigger things such as laptop/desktop computers, most monitors, speaker systems etc. pay pretty good money. We have desktop computers that pay up to $50 a piece in our computer department.  

Cashiers and merchandisers are hourly last time I checked. I know because I used to be a merchandiser myself.  

We have custodial staff, as in janitors. They just don't work during the day. They come in overnight to clean the restrooms etc. During the day the cashiers are assigned to clean the restrooms and any spills etc.  

I don't take up a lot of the customer's time when writing them a quote to get myself commission. All I ask for is the phone number, and most the time they're already in the system... if not, I only ask for a last name. A couple seconds later I hit the print button and off the customer goes with the printout. Not very hard and certainly not time consuming (I have not had a customer complain about that yet). If it's a big item, I tell them it's for their convenience so they don't have to haul the item outta the cart for the cashiers to scan later :face-angel:  

As far as the extended warranties... just gotta know how to pitch them. Speak with confidence and no hesitation. Usually have a higher chance of selling those with that manner. I have yet to attend one of the "PSC conferences".  

As far as how you're treated in general, it all depends on how much your supervisors/DM likes you. I an luckily in good relations with my sups, DM, and even the SM and ASM. I make decent money every week even though I'm part time... enough to pay for college and living expenses plus some extra spendings as well for personal purchases. Sure, there may be a lot of bullshit with the system and a shit ton of flaws... but once you find ways around them, you shouldn't have any problems.
  1.  permalink
    The OP and the source of those comments are untrue.

While there are a lot of shenanigans at Fry's Electronics and agree that the typical associate is treated poorly I will not tolerate these lies about my esteemed and fellow technicians; they do not break things and beyond on that do so purposely. Under the very rare circumstances that the technician damages a checked in item, I have never seen the cost go to the customer (Fry's will always repair or replace the damages). These technicians (at my store and the stores that I have visited) are good people with integrity. Although the rate is low, the pay structure in Service does not encourage unethical decisions by technician's and their management -- they receive an hourly wage and some commission. When they do not hit their project sales, the technicians will still make an hourly wage above minimum wage.

CA Recycling fee is not a Fry's choice; CA Recycling fee is tax introduced by congress. Sales associates do not make commission on recycling fees or taxes -- they don't have the option to remove or add these taxes and fees.

Associates do get paid (minimum wage) for the time in video conferencing.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013 edited
    Also, LOL at all the comments about being in the negatives or "draw" all the time. You'd really have to TRY to be in the negatives or draw to actually be in it. Come into work and do nothing but sit around in the cafe, sure... you'll end up in the draw very fast. Lie your ass off to every single customer about products, and they either end up returned (which cancels your commissions btw) or give you a very bad rep when customers find out you're a liar and therefore not buy from you. My WORST week so far I ended up with $450 in commission, and I usually average $500 or a bit more (I am also part time, working 3-4 days a week, or around 30 hours). Those who actually end up in the draw are either fuck offs who don't do their jobs, don't know jack squat about the products, or don't know how to talk to customers, aka. poor salesman.
  2.  permalink
    Bullshit. Not every sales person is a dick and they have some fucking dignity. No I dont tell people shit is out of stock unless it is really out of stock.
    No I dont ask any customer for their address unless they are getting an installation or consultation.
    No PSC's are not fraud, everyone sells them not only frys and bullshit about not fixing computers, most techs are pretty competent at their jobs. Yes most stuff is sent out to be repaired which is not necessarily a bad thing.
    Yes true some sales people dont wanna help customers on little shit but all of them are not their to rip you off.
    No we dont do bullshit for 3 hours a day, if it is slow then whats the harm in making yourself productive and helping each other out.
    1-3 hour conferences? Vcon once a week for like 40 mins.
    I call you out on 5 day leave again. if you go on 5 day leave you are gone for good, and if you were getting 5 day leaves and coming back then your management must love your ass, so it negates your argument about associate being hated every time they mess up.

Yea I hate we get our commission taken away when we price match, every job has its con, so live with it.

Frys home office is finally getting their head out of their ass and did something right for once. Who the fuck needs 10 sups in front check out, and why the fuck they paid their return employees 12-13 bucks an hour blows my mind. I have friends in returns but from a business perspective it just never made sense, half they day they did nothing but stand around and talked.

Finally about time they started paying their fuckin sups in components, every bit helps. Seems like someone at home office it finally trying to clean shit up and putting money where it should belong.

Most sales people make pretty good money if you actually stop bitching and actually keep trying. The ones that dont have bills to pay and live off their parents for more than half their support are the ones that usually bitch about being in draw.

I got a job with at&t wireless paying me 16 an hour plus commission part time and I might work a day or two at frys and go part time, because I love my manager and my co workers. They make it a fun place to work, and I really dont give a fuck about home office. And no I dont love frys, but your post is all bull and looks like you fuck around more than you work and complain a whole lot more.
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013
    r3j3ct: Also, LOL at all the comments about being in the negatives or "draw" all the time. You'd really have to TRY to be in the negatives or draw to actually be in it. Come into work and do nothing but sit around in the cafe, sure... you'll end up in the draw very fast. Lie your ass off to every single customer about products, and they either end up returned (which cancels your commissions btw) or give you a very bad rep when customers find out you're a liar and therefore not buy from you. My WORST week so far I ended up with $450 in commission, and I usually average $500 or a bit more (I am also part time, working 3-4 days a week, or around 30 hours). Those who actually end up in the draw are either fuck offs who don't do their jobs, don't know jack squat about the products, or don't know how to talk to customers, aka. poor salesman.

Let me guess, your 3-4 days also happen to be on the busy days of the week. But you must be new or very unaware of what is going on around you. The top salespeople, at least when I worked at Fry's in Computer sales did lie, though just barely in order to sell things, especially PSCs. Their motto was if you throw enough shit on the wall, some is bound to stick. Not to mention the number of salespeople who would rewrite your quotes, which I've had happen to me on occasion when they tried to say, "well he was my customer." while they were busy chatting it up with a friend as I was their helping the customer out, even in clear sight of them. They even saw me write up the quote and of course later rewrote by convincing the person to downgrade the PSC. There are a lot of shady salespeople at Fry's, and they've been with the company for years, longer than I assume that you have been with the company for.  

Of course, there is a lot of inaccuracies in that post the Guest posted, but there is a lot of inaccuracies in your post as the top salesperson in my department when I was there knew less about the product than most others, but just knew how to sale ice to an eskimo, though of course it took a few little lies and more lies of omission and just out right lies about finding the answer later and then switching the subject so the person forgot what they were asking in the first place. But you could easily find yourself in a big hole on a very bad week with no fault to your own. But it was always easier for those part-timers as they were normally working only on prime hours and didn't have to deal with all those dead periods.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthorsomeone
    • CommentTimeApr 15th 2013 edited
    Guest: Bullshit. Not every sales person is a dick and they have some fucking dignity. No I dont tell people shit is out of stock unless it is really out of stock.  

---  
    What you do and others do are two separate balls of wax. You might not tell people shit is out of stock, but it does happen(or did at least when I was there, even when they were hourly plus commission). If you think most salespeople on the floor have integrity, you are either living under a rock while working, you are just lying or things have just changed, though I have seen the same people who would lie to make their sales still working there.  
    ---  

No I dont ask any customer for their address unless they are getting an installation or consultation.  

---  
    True, I never even asked them for their address if they were getting an installation. The other department handling that would get the information.  
    ---  

No PSC's are not fraud, everyone sells them not only frys and bullshit about not fixing computers, most techs are pretty competent at their jobs. Yes most stuff is sent out to be repaired which is not necessarily a bad thing.  

---  
    "Yes it covers Physical damage" The salesperson told me that. Of course, it might be a customer trying to get them to repair something that was physically damaged, however it was odd that most of them were complaints about the same salesperson, who is still there. Of course, some of that might have been it being sold with a lie of omission as well as other methods to confuse the customer into thinking it would cover it. But PSCs might not be a fraud, but I'm sure there have been plenty that were sold that make them look like frauds.  
    ---  

Yes true some sales people dont wanna help customers on little shit but all of them are not their to rip you off.  
    No we dont do bullshit for 3 hours a day, if it is slow then whats the harm in making yourself productive and helping each other out.  

---  
    And while you are busy doing the menial stuff for free, others are out there helping the customers that come into the department and getting the commission from that. It's the loss of opportunity which is costing you pay.  
    ---  

1-3 hour conferences? Vcon once a week for like 40 mins.  
    I call you out on 5 day leave again. if you go on 5 day leave you are gone for good, and if you were getting 5 day leaves and coming back then your management must love your ass, so it negates your argument about associate being hated every time they mess up.  

---  
    Thank god they got rid of those Fry's PCs and the meetings you had to attend if you weren't able to sell any or enough of them. But 40-60 minutes isn't the 3 hour as stated  
    ---  

Yea I hate we get our commission taken away when we price match, every job has its con, so live with it.  

---  
    And you have to do it for Frys....FOR FREE as you are working to help a customer out while getting no pay from it,unless you have the rare customer that happens to also want to buy something else without a price match, but most of the time they were only looking for that ONE item and ONE item only so you needed to spend time on it for free(well it was for minimum wage when I was there) but now that is not something they get. Sure they are guaranteed minimum wage, but of course that is a scam as it is a draw system that they need to pay back when they make the sales the following week.  
    ---  

Maybe a lot has changed since I left, but who knows as I doubt it. From what I've heard from the many people I run into that still work there it has only got worse.Hiya kids. Here is an important message from your Uncle Bill. Don't buy drugs. Become a pop star, and they give you them for free!
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    Honestly, I believe some of it is stretched, but yes salespeople were shady as fuck. We always had people try to redo quotes and such, was very common to see people after printing the quote, log back in to hide the previous quote info so no one could steal it. In store 21, we called that getting Fawaded.  

Once I went to service, I lost track at how many sales associates told customers PSC's covered everything. We got it to slow down a bit when our DM would publicly shame them in front of the customer and usually do something like a red carpet billing to computers if it was something simple like a restore for a virus issue.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    someone:
    r3j3ct: Also, LOL at all the comments about being in the negatives or "draw" all the time. You'd really have to TRY to be in the negatives or draw to actually be in it. Come into work and do nothing but sit around in the cafe, sure... you'll end up in the draw very fast. Lie your ass off to every single customer about products, and they either end up returned (which cancels your commissions btw) or give you a very bad rep when customers find out you're a liar and therefore not buy from you. My WORST week so far I ended up with $450 in commission, and I usually average $500 or a bit more (I am also part time, working 3-4 days a week, or around 30 hours). Those who actually end up in the draw are either fuck offs who don't do their jobs, don't know jack squat about the products, or don't know how to talk to customers, aka. poor salesman.

Let me guess, your 3-4 days also happen to be on the busy days of the week. But you must be new or very unaware of what is going on around you. The top salespeople, at least when I worked at Fry's in Computer sales did lie, though just barely in order to sell things, especially PSCs. Their motto was if you throw enough shit on the wall, some is bound to stick. Not to mention the number of salespeople who would rewrite your quotes, which I've had happen to me on occasion when they tried to say, "well he was my customer." while they were busy chatting it up with a friend as I was their helping the customer out, even in clear sight of them. They even saw me write up the quote and of course later rewrote by convincing the person to downgrade the PSC. There are a lot of shady salespeople at Fry's, and they've been with the company for years, longer than I assume that you have been with the company for.  

Of course, there is a lot of inaccuracies in that post the Guest posted, but there is a lot of inaccuracies in your post as the top salesperson in my department when I was there knew less about the product than most others, but just knew how to sale ice to an eskimo, though of course it took a few little lies and more lies of omission and just out right lies about finding the answer later and then switching the subject so the person forgot what they were asking in the first place. But you could easily find yourself in a big hole on a very bad week with no fault to your own. But it was always easier for those part-timers as they were normally working only on prime hours and didn't have to deal with all those dead periods.

I've been with Fry's for several years, so no... I'm not new. As for other shady sales people, yes... of course there's gonna be that bunch. BUT I've given those fuckers a taste of their own medicine in the past when they tried to do fucked up shit to me such as rewriting my quotes etc. so none of them fuck with me anymore. Personally, I do not lie, I am good at talking with a sales pitch, I make the customer comfortable by asking them more in depth questions... such as what they plan to run on their new desktop computer etc, and most of all SPEAK WITH CONFIDENCE and PROFESSIONALISM. I'm not the best salesman in regards to making the most money, true... probably because I don't lie out my ass to make that PSC sale or that couple extra bucks on a different computer simply because it pays me more instead of give the customer a better buy.
  3.  permalink
    t0rrent:Once I went to service, I lost track at how many sales associates told customers PSC's covered everything. We got it to slow down a bit when our DM would publicly shame them in front of the customer and usually do something like a red carpet billing to computers if it was something simple like a restore for a virus issue.
    This is really the only way to sell a PSC. If you spell out all the exclusions (i.e. the things people actually want to cover) then there's no value to the customer, and no sale. Break the screen? Too bad. Accidentally drop it? Too bad. Spill coffee on it? Sucks to be you.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2013
    Chris_Tomkinson:
    t0rrent:Once I went to service, I lost track at how many sales associates told customers PSC's covered everything. We got it to slow down a bit when our DM would publicly shame them in front of the customer and usually do something like a red carpet billing to computers if it was something simple like a restore for a virus issue.
    This is really the only way to sell a PSC. If you spell out all the exclusions (i.e. the things people actually want to cover) then there's no value to the customer, and no sale. Break the screen? Too bad. Accidentally drop it? Too bad. Spill coffee on it? Sucks to be you.

Yup, that's probably why I failed at sales. Well that and Khaliqi purposely fucking with my schedule due to him and I not getting along at all. I probably lost a few hundred out of pocket just from telling the customer physical damage and viruses are not covered.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 17th 2013
    t0rrent:
    Chris_Tomkinson:

Yup, that's probably why I failed at sales. Well that and Khaliqi purposely fucking with my schedule due to him and I not getting along at all. I probably lost a few hundred out of pocket just from telling the customer physical damage and viruses are not covered.

Now... if only physical damage was covered, we'd probably have a much better chance in selling those PSCs... then again, the prices would probably be higher too.
    •  
      CommentAuthorCinnabon
    • CommentTimeMay 1st 2013
    r3j3ct:
    t0rrent:
    Chris_Tomkinson:

Now... if only physical damage was covered, we'd probably have a much better chance in selling those PSCs... then again, the prices would probably be higher too.

I wouldn't mind paying a little more for a PSC that covers physical damage.
  4.  permalink
    We need hard drive PSCs that include data recovery.
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013
    Guest: We need hard drive PSCs that include data recovery.

Uhh no you don't. Do you know how much data recovery is if you suffer a massive failure to where the disks are not spinning? You'd have to be selling that PSC at 600+ dollars a pop to avoid losing money.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeMay 3rd 2013
    Instant thoughts came to mind of a Fry's employee with the Hard Drive open, trying to spin the platter by hand as if spinning a record on a broken turntable...
  5.  permalink
    People at my store sweep and mop in the rain.
  6.  permalink
    Bullshit on your custodial duties. Our store makes every dept. Merchs and Acc's and even gotten the E-cage doing duties. Turn over is so high because of that new set of stuff to do because that's not what the merch's/acc sales (ecage) signed up for when they applied, I do not blame them for it either. VOOS is stupid too