Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobbie7
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013
    Hi guys. Worked at fry's for about 10 months now... and im tired of the 320-350 $ a week checks. I'm more than just a cashier. Im over returns. Im over bathrooms. And im over being treated poorly by the customer service supe try hards.  

What are some tips for sales? If I don't do well I hear that I get unemployment?  

Im just nervous to switch departments and maybe be out of a job! Thanks
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    cashier looking to go computer sales
    Should I go to computer sales?
    Is Computer Sales the stinky butthole of all stores?
    Moving to computer sales - tips please!!!
    Got a call for a interview for computer sales position advice needed.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 29th 2013
    I'll try to be as helpful as I can here...  

Remember, you are guaranteed your pay as a cashier. Computer sales is NO HOURLY and COMMISSION ONLY. If you don't make sales, you don't get paid. If you make shady sales, lie to the customers, or sell unsuitable products to the customers, they will return the product and you will lose that commission as well. If you make below minimum wage in commissions vs how many hours you work every week, you go into the draw system which means Fry's will pay you the difference between how much you would've made at minimum wage and how much you actually made in commission. You sit in the draw for 6 weeks and you're fired. Once in the draw, anything you make extra (more than minimum wage) in your coming weeks will be taken back by Fry's. It can become very stressful once you're in the draw, especially by a good amount. I've had coworkers who fell hundreds into the draw who ended up paying the company back for 5 weeks straight, and still barely got out of the draw by the 6th week... ended up losing their jobs.  

Sure, being a cashier is a horrible job... ESPECIALLY at Fry's because of all the other shit you have to do. But you are at least guaranteed that minimum wage + little commission that won't get taken away from you. Being sales you have to know what you're doing. You gotta know how to talk to people, know the products very well, and think from the customer's point of view and not just your own (giving them the best product that pays you less, or giving them a product that's not as suitable for them but pays you more). It helps if you've ever had a previous sales job before. Personally I was a car salesman for 10 years before getting this job, so I know my job pretty well already.  

What I'd personally do is request to be a merchandiser first. Observe the salesmen and how they do their jobs, and you can get some practice out there yourself too. When I first got hired I was a merchandiser myself, but since I already had extensive sales experience in the past, I got moved up fairly quickly (within a month or two). Just keep bothering your DM about moving to sales, show him/her that you are capable of it and know the products, and get some practice while being a merchandiser. That would be my advice.  

Good luck!
    •  
      CommentAuthorRobbie7
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013
    Sorry for the double post... but yah I mean that 320+ a week is solid for a 19 year old who lives at home.  

But there are so many people in computer sales at my store that just know nothing. And are making 5-600 easy a week. And they dont clean bathrooms or do cart runs.  

I do want to be a merchandiser first. But its gonna suck just getting 8.25 and smaller checks
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 30th 2013
    Robbie7: Sorry for the double post... but yah I mean that 320+ a week is solid for a 19 year old who lives at home.  

But there are so many people in computer sales at my store that just know nothing. And are making 5-600 easy a week. And they dont clean bathrooms or do cart runs.  

I do want to be a merchandiser first. But its gonna suck just getting 8.25 and smaller checks

Go for it dude. Knowledge can carry you a long way. I have fellow salesmen who don't know jack squat and they still make decent commission. Some of them are just really good at selling (can literally sell ice to an eskimo kinda deal). I personally combine my tech knowledge, previous sales experience, and sharking to make me a good check every week. I average 15-20 an hour weekly, and our customer count isn't even that high (compared to years ago at least). Shows you there is still potential to make a decent amount before you find a better job after you get a degree etc.