Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013 edited
    $ 89.99 Will put it together for you.

Fry\'s Ad 8-31.JPG
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Trust Your Ears to Fry's - Customized
    Advertised specials are mostly Fry's products
    Fry's doesn't want its employees on here or customers to know about this site
    How do I go about having a custom PC built by Fry's
    Looks like the Fry's Anaheim building just got bought
  2.  permalink
    Might have been a deal in windows 95 days....but now? A blind monkey with A.D.D. could snap a pc together, and handle clicking "next" a few times to install the O.S.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 5448
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013
    I do not like the way the Fry's corporate office is handling the Service department. I imagine that they have meetings asking "What is the worst thing I can do for my department today?" and they implement it.
  3.  permalink
    Before I left they had us do screen protector installs. I don't miss that place for even a nanosecond.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013
    You'd be surprised. There are shit tons of people out there who have no clue how to work a computer much less build one. I've actually charged people 50 bucks to build their systems for them in recent times. The amount of tech-illiterate people out there is overwhelming.
    •  
      CommentAuthorBest Buy
    • CommentTimeMay 31st 2013 edited
    Back in the good ol' days, the clowns at H.O. focused/pushed heavily on wireless installs. Now they "want" system builds. Both usually cost $100. If they stopped picking arbitrary PLUs to "focus" on and instead just worried about generating more money by pushing all of their install services, they might get somewhere. Pushy salesmen, trying to save their jobs by pushing an arbitrarily focus item, end up pissing customers off. These days if I get a wireless but not a system build, I get a write up. But in the old days if I got a wireless (which was the "focus") I was fine. If I got a system build but no wireless, my job was threatened. Both PLUS usually cost $100. Yet now the other one is more important for some reason. You H.O. idiots need to get your heads out of your asses.  

My supervisor is a fucking moron. I asked him what the difference was between both PLUS since he personally used to write me up for not getting wirelesses. Now, of course, he doesn't blink if I get a wireless and only cares about system builds saying that Home Office wants them.  

"Oh well they're more important because we don't have to drive a truck out to their house and therefore we make more money."  

Fair enough. So what about the fact that I constantly sell other installs like memory installs, hard drive installs, power supply installs etc? This jerk had nothing to say in response. He simply said, "Randy wants system builds."  

Fine, but you still look and sound like an ass.
  4.  permalink
    It's so the management can make it look like they're implementing new business strategies and "doing something". Fry's has always offered PC building services, though, as Best Buy mentioned, anyone can snap parts together and click "next" a dozen times to install Windows.
  5.  permalink
    It would be my personal pleasure to punch Randy Fry in the face!
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013
    Guest: It would be my personal pleasure to punch Randy Fry in the face!

I'd pay $$ to see that :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJun 4th 2013
    r3j3ct: There are [edited] tons of people out there who have no clue how to work a computer

Fry's seems to attract the majority of these poor, clueless people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeJun 12th 2013
    We have better deals on system builds now. I believe premiums cost about $75, while regular builds (no OS) would cost about $50. Starting last Friday though, if you buy a motherboard and CPU combo, you can get a regular build done for free. That plus an OS install however, would only cost an extra $30.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Other than hardcore gamers, who buys a desktop?
    •  
      CommentAuthort0rrent
    ObiWan: Other than hardcore gamers, who buys a desktop?

People who work from home and don't feel the need to have a laptop. Even if I wasn't a gamer and mainly did web browsing and extra work, i'd rather have a desktop setup since I use my computer for multimedia as well.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    t0rrent:

People who work from home and don't feel the need to have a laptop. Even if I wasn't a gamer and mainly did web browsing and extra work, i'd rather have a desktop setup since I use my computer for multimedia as well.

I'm more of a laptop person, mainly because I travel a lot. I don't see the harm in buying a desktop though. Especially when you build your own machine, you know exactly what you'll be putting into the tower, and in many cases, you'd end up paying much less than what you'd pay for a pre-built desktop. Desktops are also much easier to upgrade and maintain compared to laptops. Spec-wise, they're also more budget-friendly, considering you're not paying extra for the portability of a laptop.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Valid points my failed Padawan learner :face-angel: Most everyone that I know/hang with are photographers, and most of us just use a laptop (usually a MacBook Pro) for editing. The only people that I know that use a desktop are heavy graphics designers or those doing heavy Photoshop work or video editing.
  6.  permalink
    Guest: Might have been a deal in windows 95 days....but now? A blind monkey with A.D.D. could snap a pc together, and handle clicking "next" a few times to install the O.S.

true, but those monkeys still fuck it up haha.  

Best Buy: Back in the good ol' days, the clowns at H.O. focused/pushed heavily on wireless installs. Now they "want" system builds. Both usually cost $100. If they stopped picking arbitrary PLUs to "focus" on and instead just worried about generating more money by pushing all of their install services, they might get somewhere. Pushy salesmen, trying to save their jobs by pushing an arbitrarily focus item, end up pissing customers off. These days if I get a wireless but not a system build, I get a write up. But in the old days if I got a wireless (which was the "focus") I was fine. If I got a system build but no wireless, my job was threatened. Both PLUS usually cost $100. Yet now the other one is more important for some reason. You H.O. idiots need to get your heads out of your asses.  

My supervisor is a fucking moron. I asked him what the difference was between both PLUS since he personally used to write me up for not getting wirelesses. Now, of course, he doesn't blink if I get a wireless and only cares about system builds saying that Home Office wants them.  

"Oh well they're more important because we don't have to drive a truck out to their house and therefore we make more money."  

Fair enough. So what about the fact that I constantly sell other installs like memory installs, hard drive installs, power supply installs etc? This jerk had nothing to say in response. He simply said, "Randy wants system builds."  

Fine, but you still look and sound like an ass.

true that, we faked wireless PLUs all the time. two services that equal $100? wireless. system build? wireless. I take it by your name you now work at BBY ;)  

If you edit on The Avid, a desktop is very necessary.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeJun 26th 2013
    Wpaperback_writer I looked up the tech specks for some of Avid's products, and it looks like their products would work just fine on my 2010 MBP - so a desktop really isn't an absolute.
    •  
      CommentAuthorDead_Raccoon
    • CommentTimeMay 7th 2014 edited
    My manager is so paranoid of not achieving these ludicrous goals (being 10 a week it's not easy) that they will just throw themselves at the customer. If it's a slow week, as a customer, you can come in and get a free system build and a handjob for free. Frys is so determined to meet numbers that my job security is threatened weekly because I didn't get 5 system builds the prior week. Although I maintain camera installations more periodically than PC builds, which make less money than security installs, I get counseled because I didn't write up a 50-90 dollar PLU. Now I don't know how much other Frys fudge their numbers to make it seem that they're doing these services. "Hey you need a Hard drive installed and the OS...well guess we'll charge the premium so my manager stops texting me for numbers" As long as the service is around $100 Service appears to start having charged the Premium PLU to fluff the numbers.  

"Sir, I made the store $600 of off 1 security INSTALL." That's calculated GP! That's like 7 PC installs!!! Same department and same idea "We take your stuff and do the work for you." But fuck all that. We're "focusing" things!  

I can't see myself working at this place much longer if everybody is going to keep breathing down each others necks about stupid shit. Let me sell product, I'll TSR because I'm nice, and you get my best. As a salesman my best is every day. If I don't push the big one then I make less money. Eat a dick, Home Office!
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2014
    Fry's does realize that, outside of either high end video production or gamers, the desktop is all but dead, don't they? Wait...this is Fry's we're talking about. Nevermind...
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 8th 2014
    ObiWan: Fry's does realize that, outside of either high end video production or gamers, the desktop is all but dead, don't they? Wait...this is Fry's we're talking about. Nevermind...

You forgot offices and schools. Desktops are FAR from dead my friend.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2014
    Partially true - but offices and schools will purchase pre-built systems from Dell, Lenovo, etc. - not "custom builds" from the local Fry's. The vast majority of consumers are opting for laptops or tablets.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2014
    ObiWan: Partially true - but offices and schools will purchase pre-built systems from Dell, Lenovo, etc. - not "custom builds" from the local Fry's. The vast majority of consumers are opting for laptops or tablets.

My sales of computers are half and half. I'd say the all in ones are the "not so popular ones". Expensive, proprietary, and shitty for the most part. Plus we don't carry a lot of them. I guess Fry's realizes too that they are junk.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeMay 9th 2014 edited
    I recommend partnering up with your Electronic Components department.  

The San Diego store is extremely silly, but they have their system builds done correctly. Customers should be able to walk into the store, pick their components like toppings for a Subway sandwich, and have those Electronic Component associates make those sandwiches right in front of them. It's quick, easy, no hassle, and system builds are scarcely returned compared to individual components and other computers. The San Diego store will get ~ 20 builds on a slow week, and that's because they have a very strong EC Department Manager (way to go Jorge!) Their Service Manager, I have other opinions.  

Don't worry about those write-ups, just ensure that *you* do the right thing. As long as you can commit to that, the career opportunities will always arise for you.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  7.  permalink
    in the financial sector we are still buying desktop PCs with dual monitor or more graphics cards
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMay 11th 2014
    Guest: in the financial sector we are still buying desktop PCs with dual monitor or more graphics cards

Still - they're prebuilt from a name brand manufacturer - not custom builds.  

Most consumers are steering away from desktops (except four high end video processing) and going for laptops/tablets.
  8.  permalink
    ObiWan:
    Guest: in the financial sector we are still buying desktop PCs with dual monitor or more graphics cards

Still - they're prebuilt from a name brand manufacturer - not custom builds.  

Most consumers are steering away from desktops (except four high end video processing) and going for laptops/tablets.

But would you rather have a beige box half-assedly knocked together on an assembly line by suicidal Foxconn employees (this includes your beloved Apple, too), or a PC custom built to your specifications and assembled in the USA by A+ certified technicians?
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMay 13th 2014
    I'll stick with my beloved Apple. If I got a custom built PC by an A+ certified tech, i'd have to run that mess called Windows 8.  

BTW, I have the A+, Net+ and several Microslop certs. I'll still stick with Apple.
  9.  permalink
    Time to settle the endless and pointless apple arguments once and for all. Apples are like expensive hand bags that ladies often buy. Nothing about the handbag is superior to any other typical hand bag. Though they do look nice and fancy. The perceived higher quality and "cool kid" status is due to it's sleek image and ingenious advertising campaigns. There isn't any objective way to show that Macs are somehow better than PC's. Nor is it possible to prove the opposite. In the meantime, I'll rest well knowing that I built an amazing PC that is more powerful and less than half the cost of a Mac Pro.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    Guest: Time to settle the endless and pointless apple arguments once and for all. Apples are like expensive hand bags that ladies often buy. .

Smells-like-Bullshit.jpg
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    FWIW, I used to be one of those that thought the same - that Mac's were simply overpriced. But as my photography grew, I noticed almost all pro photographers, and even many (serious) hobbyists - all used a Mac. While you might be able to do a custom build PC and save money, there's one feature that they don't have that a MBP does - portability.  

Either all these pro photographers aren't as smart as you, or just the opposite
  10.  permalink
    I agree with you ObiWan on the photo/video editing aspect but for people who don't care about those factors its possible they actually prefer Windows over Apple like myself. To each his own as they say.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    ObiWan: I'll stick with my beloved Apple. If I got a custom built PC by an A+ certified tech, i'd have to run that mess called Windows 8.

You still have the option to get Windows 7. Another advantage in building your own computer. Most custom builds that I work on come with Windows 7 Home Premium (OEM), which is still being sold in most places, including Fry's.
  11.  permalink
    I'm disappointed in you Obi-Wan. Normally you show us your excellent reading comprehension. Sadly, your old age is failing you. If you re-read my post, you'll notice that I was not specifically talking about custom built PC's but PC's in general. I even made a specific reference to the MAC PRO. I was not comparing MAC BOOK PROs to custom built desktops. "FWIW" (see what I did there) I think that laptops are useless whether they are PC's or Macs. Heck, the laptop vs desktop debate is even more pointless than the PC vs Mac debate. Anyways getting back to my original post, which you completely failed to troll, there is no objective way to prove that Macs are better than PC's. It IS however possible to objectively prove that Macs unnecessarily cost more than comparable PC's. You would think that paying so much more would give you a bunch of extra goodies. Sadly (gladly?) this is not true. Apple is simply a rip-off. Period.
  12.  permalink
    The user system database is about the zone the user wishes to reside in use.  

I use PC Desktop because I customize it. Indeed it is used for games, multimedia, servers, the likes.  

A mac is not as customizable as the PC version while the mac does excel in various loads, it becomes expensive when you need to replace parts to keep things optimal and fully ahead.  

However, Windows 8 is pure garbage and use Windows 7 professional myself. Windows XP is on another drive when the need arises because even Windows 7 fails in certain aspects.
    •  
      CommentAuthorObiWan
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014
    Dear Guest 38781  

First - thanks for the ad hominem swipe at my age. Someday (if you're fortunate), you'll be my age (somewhere in the mid 50's) too and have someone younger make the same comment to you.  

As to your comment " I think that laptops are useless", the sales volume of laptops vs. desktops would say otherwise. The majority of computer sales are for laptops or some sort of tablet. If you looked at the context of what I've said previously, my contention is that the desktop (pre or custom built) is no longer favored by the average consumer (businesses are exception as r3j3ct noted).  

And yes, I did note that your prior post referenced the MAC PRO, which I purposely chose to ignore.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeMay 14th 2014
    Sorry, I have to lean towards the "PC SUPERIOR RACE" comments. ObiWan, I have betrayed you... old faithful Jedi master. Apples are indeed overpriced polished turds, LOL!  

If it weren't for photography and videos, Apple would be even less useful. I have a PROFESSIONAL photographer friend who uses an ASUS G750JZ along with custom building his own desktop computers, and he walks circles around his Apple user friends and pokes fun at them. Windows 8 is pretty bad... which is why most tech savy people dual boot Ubuntu and Windows 7 Ultimate.
    •  
      CommentAuthorskullywag
    • CommentTimeMay 17th 2014
    Some of us old dogs still rely heavily on our custom desktops. I have approximately $6,000 sunk in mine, and upgrade components regularly. Not a real gamer. I check email and browse for stuff on my phone a lot, but when there is video editing to be done, or your eyes are tired of squinting and constant scrolling....nothing beats the good old desktop with a pair of 27's hooked up. Add to that the fact that they have yet build a portable anything that will hold about 20 TBs of movies, TV shows, games and such... I think the desktop will be around awhile. Phones and tablets are cool for on the go...but at home...I never touch one.  

Although, you couldn't PAY ME enough to let a Frys monkey build a desktop for me.