Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthoradmin
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2008 edited
    Letter I received from Fry's Legal Department: http://laurenstephens.net/uploads/3c5300418f.pdf  

This site is not operated by, sponsored by, endorsed by, or affiliated with Fry's Electronics in any way. The official Fry's Electronics site is www.frys.com.  

I would like to remind everybody that I don't participate in the forums. I am only the service operator and I cannot be held responsible for the content users provide on this service. The users content are of their own. If any user generated content contains copyrighted, trademarked, trade secret or proprietary material please let me know and I will remove the material immediately.  

I've received this noticed today and decided to comply to this letter by removing the following pages from this site. I have removed the material in question out of respect Fry's Electronics property which includes the forms and data that were in question in the document above.  

1) Removed all Fry's Electronics forms which are legal property of Fry's.  
    2) Removed discussion and links regarding Fry's Credit Card Application.  

If the Fry's legal department would like to contact us in the future we invite them to send us a private message on the site or by email: admin at frysforum com  

Everyone please review the documents below regarding our rights as service operators (admin), information content providers (users), and Fair Use Rights regarding Copyrights and Trademarks.  

Here's information regarding Section 230.  
    Here's information regarding Fair use of Copyrights  
    Here's information regarding Fair use of Trademarks  
    Here's information regarding Digital Millennium Copyright Act (DMCA)  
    Here's information regarding Privacy Rights  

Here are parts of the law that I care about:  

Section 230 Protections: What is this "Section 230" thing anyway?  
    Section 230 refers to Section 230 of Title 47 of the United States Code (47 USC ยง 230). It was passed as part of the much-maligned Communication Decency Act of 1996. Many aspects of the CDA were unconstitutional restrictions of freedom of speech (and, with EFF's help, struck down by the Supreme Court), but this section survived and has been a valuable defense for Internet intermediaries ever since.  

Section 230 Protections: What protection does Section 230 provide?  
    Section 230 says that "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider." This federal law preempts any state laws to the contrary: "[n]o cause of action may be brought and no liability may be imposed under any State or local law that is inconsistent with this section." The courts have repeatedly rejected attempts to limit the reach of Section 230 to "traditional" Internet service providers, instead treating many diverse entities as "interactive computer service providers."  

Trademarks Protections: Can I use their name and logo?  
    While trademark law prevents you from using someone else's trademark to sell your competing products (you can't make and sell your own "Rolex" watches or name your blog "Newsweek"), it doesn't stop you from using the trademark to refer to the trademark owner or its products (offering repair services for Rolex watches or criticizing Newsweek's editorial decisions). That kind of use, known as "nominative fair use," is permitted if using the trademark is necessary to identify the products, services, or company you're talking about, and you don't use the mark to suggest the company endorses you. In general, this means you can use the company name in your review so people know which company or product you're complaining about. You can even use the trademark in a domain name (like walmartsucks.com), so long as it's clear that you're not claiming to be or speak for the company.  

Best way to get a hold of me is to send me a Private Message on the site, I will respond within 24 hours.  
    The account below is monitored but no responses will be given to any email recieved.  

admin@frysforum.com  

Thanks for your time.  

AdminContact Me: admin@frysforum.com [FrysForum Administration Group]
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    FrysForum.com MySpace
    FrysForum.com is acquired by Best Buy for $90,000
    FrysForum.com on your mobile device
    Why do buyers and people from home office act stuck up and bitchy when they visit our stores?
    Goodbye Documents. Office SP3 phases out document formats!
    •  
      CommentAuthoradmin
    Section 230 says that "No provider or user of an interactive computer service shall be treated as the publisher or speaker of any information provided by another information content provider." This federal law preempts any state laws to the contrary: "[n]o cause of action may be brought and no liability may be imposed under any State or local law that is inconsistent with this section." The courts have repeatedly rejected attempts to limit the reach of Section 230 to "traditional" Internet service providers, instead treating many diverse entities as "interactive computer service providers." http://www.eff.org/bloggers/lg/faq-230.php  

You can even use the trademark in a domain name (like walmartsucks.com), so long as it's clear that you're not claiming to be or speak for the company. http://w2.eff.org/bloggers/lg/faq-ip.php#trademarkContact Me: admin@frysforum.com [FrysForum Administration Group]
    •  
      CommentAuthordash
    Man you've done your homework.  

If Fry's has something they want to be removed maybe they should post here.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeJan 22nd 2008
    If you removed the things they were complaining about in the letter I don't see why the site can't remain operational I like this site its a good place for me to express my "Freedom of Speech".Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008 edited
    What seems disturbing that the way the proprietary information was obtained. I recall that information was obtained from hackers that work at Fry's who posted on this board loli am a worm.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008
    Where do I send the letter to get 2girls1cup taken off the site? :-P
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeJan 23rd 2008
    1girl1pitcherI shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    Someone hacked the POS from San Marcos and thats how they obtained the forms and credit card application if you would have seen the source code on that it said it was from San Marcos.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorPunkzilla
    • CommentTimeJan 25th 2008
    I have no hacking skills, so it wasn't me.I shit trains, Now what?
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008
    "Hacked" is hardly the proper word.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeJan 26th 2008 edited
    I find it hard to believe that "File" -> ""Save As" is considered "hacking".  

I also find it ridiculous that Fry's corporate is so paranoid about a spoof site. Since the Fry's credit application is on a closed network, regular internet users would never know what the real Fry's credit application looks like. Therefore, anyone with strong photoshop skills can easily make a spoof site without referencing the original. Every popular bank in the world has a spoof site and spammers sending out spam telling me to login because my details are wrong.  

Seriously though Fry's has a very very, very very, tiny market share. There is like a 1 in a trillion chance someone will fill out some fake Fry's application.
    •  
      CommentAuthorworm
    • CommentTimeFeb 1st 2008
    bullshit!i am a worm.
  2.  permalink
    They blamed a Greg Torkelson at the San Diego store. Tried to fire him. Too bad they didn't.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeFeb 9th 2008
    SDCherryPicker:They blamed a Greg Torkelson at the San Diego store. Tried to fire him. Too bad they didn't.

Little do they know...Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorbrady
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
    Little did they know it was really Ayahu in her black hoodie breaking into the Fry's and sabotaging the stores and making the POS crash and stealing all the information.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
    brady:Little did they know it was really Ayahu in her black hoodie breaking into the Fry's and sabotaging the stores and making the POS crash and stealing all the information.

If by black hoodie you mean official ninja uniform.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorLiana Mei
    • CommentTimeFeb 16th 2008
    Oh, so Home Office does read this stuff! And here I though they were ignoring the big, wide world out there of dissatisfied customers. I'll post more once I quit...I happen to enjoy getting a weekly pay check for the time being.  

Maybe I should set up a website exclusively for ex-employees to share their horror stories.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgreencard
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    xbluebellax:Oh, so Home Office does read this stuff! And here I though they were ignoring the big, wide world out there of dissatisfied customers. I'll post more once I quit...I happen to enjoy getting a weekly pay check for the time being.  

Maybe I should set up a website exclusively for ex-employees to share their horror stories.

This website has already turned out to be a website were current and pass employees can discuss without retaliation!