Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorcustomer3
    • CommentTimeJul 9th 2013
    Hey everyone,  

Just a Fry's customer here. I noticed that at some Fry's locations, the sales guys are using a web based quote system instead of the old DOS one to print out the quote sheets to bring to the register. Only at some stores though, I think I saw it at San Jose (right behind the Home Office) and at Fremont, but Sunnyvale and Palo Alto were still using the DOS one for everything. Are they finally replacing that ancient DOS system? I actually think it was slower for the person to print out my quote sheet using the web based system, he had to do a lot more clicking with the mouse.
  1.  permalink
    The new web based quote system sucks. Most of the time its slow. If not, it's down. They should have kept the old POS or have them both.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeAug 1st 2013 edited
    First of all, the web quote sucks golf balls through garden hoses (Full Metal Jacket, anyone?) and second, they go down almost everyday, sometimes for hours at a time if not ACTUALLY all day. When it's down, you're done. You go sit in the cafe and hope it comes back up, otherwise you clock out and get the fuck out before you end up too deep in the draw... oh did somebody mention SLOW? I think my record for writing a quote with ONE FUCKING ITEM was 4 minutes... what kind of a customer wants to wait 4 FUCKING MINUTES for a single item?  

AFAIK, the "programming" and "tech maintenance" people of Fry's need to go die in a slow burning flame.
  2.  permalink
    At my store, some departments use WebQuote and the rest use the old POS.
    What's that all about? Why aren't we ALL using one or the other?
    And since the new system is still buggy, why aren't they working faster to fix it?
    Another thing that's funny is the fact that the old POS system used to allow us to use PSC PLUs that we weren't supposed to use. It took YEARS for the home office to fix that.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeAug 6th 2013
    Guest: At my store, some departments use WebQuote and the rest use the old POS.  
    What's that all about? Why aren't we ALL using one or the other?  
    And since the new system is still buggy, why aren't they working faster to fix it?  
    Another thing that's funny is the fact that the old POS system used to allow us to use PSC PLUs that we weren't supposed to use. It took YEARS for the home office to fix that.

One reason the web quote is slow as snailfuck is because of their aging computers. Most companies out there are using Dell Optiplex machines with Core 2 Duo CPUs while we're still stuck on first generation AMD Semprons with 512MB RAM. Most of our POS computers don't even run properly, fans not spinning, clogged with dust, broken keyboards and mice, etc. They also throttle our internet bandwidth like crazy... it's literally back to dial up in the 90s all over again. Looking something up on Newegg/Amazon for a price match? There goes another 20 minutes wasted on something that will end up paying us nothing.  

Speaking of price match, has your store put up all the bullshit "WE MATCH INTERNET PRICES" sign all over the endcaps, aisles, etc? I've been ripping them off randomly, to lessen the number of customers seeing them.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeAug 10th 2013
    The old DOS system still exists on the servers for each store. We were loading POS manually to be able to use it in Webster.  

1. Open Calculator  
    2. Open Calc Help  
    3. Click on the icon in the top left corner of the help window. It should be a question mark.  
    4. Click "Jump to URL"  
    5. Navigate to X:/  
    6. Open the Apps folder  
    7. Launch POS.bat  

If you want it to be available permanantly, just edit a bookmark link in IE and point it to X:/Apps/POS.batI don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    Those steps allow you to bypass the lockdown that would usually close Windows Explorer windows whIle trying to open the X Drive.I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    034CSV: The old DOS system still exists on the servers for each store. We were loading POS manually to be able to use it in Webster.  

1. Open Calculator  
    2. Open Calc Help  
    3. Click on the icon in the top left corner of the help window. It should be a question mark.  
    4. Click "Jump to URL"  
    5. Navigate to X:/  
    6. Open the Apps folder  
    7. Launch POS.bat  

If you want it to be available permanantly, just edit a bookmark link in IE and point it to X:/Apps/POS.bat

Good stuff, I'll give that a shot on our "non POS" stations.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeAug 11th 2013
    034CSV, thanks for the tip. I put the old POS on every single machine in our department. Makes life much easier, since the new web quote doesn't display the F9 function properly when you want to look something up.  

You have no idea how many "thank yous" I got from the rest of the salesman in my department lol, but gotta give the credit to you :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorcustomer3
    • CommentTimeSep 12th 2013
    Interesting insight...I just bought a CPU and the guy doing the quote seemed to be completely lost in the Web system :face-plain: Took him like 5 minutes! On the other hand, the returns system still is on the old DOS POS.  

On an unrelated note, I'm surprised that Fry's allows used CPU returns with no restocking fee :face-smile:
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeSep 13th 2013
    So apparently home office found out about the POS loophole and blocked it. Now we're forced to use web quote, and when web quote is down we are forced to either go to other departments to ring shit up or go clock out and sit in the cafe until it's up.  

Sighs~~
    •  
      CommentAuthornfl
    • CommentTimeSep 14th 2013
    r3j3ct: So apparently home office found out about the POS loophole and blocked it. Now we're forced to use web quote, and when web quote is down we are forced to either go to other departments to ring shit up or go clock out and sit in the cafe until it's up.  

Sighs~~

Sorry to hear that. How dependable is web quote anyway? When I used to work at Fry's I wished that they would get rid of the old DOS POS. I should have figured the replacement would suck even worse.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeSep 16th 2013
    nfl:
    r3j3ct: So apparently home office found out about the POS loophole and blocked it. Now we're forced to use web quote, and when web quote is down we are forced to either go to other departments to ring shit up or go clock out and sit in the cafe until it's up.  

Sighs~~

Sorry to hear that. How dependable is web quote anyway? When I used to work at Fry's I wished that they would get rid of the old DOS POS. I should have figured the replacement would suck even worse.

If we're lucky our webquote is up about half the time. Trust me, POS is heaven compared to webquote. I used to be able to ring up a sale on the POS within 30 seconds (Computer, PSC, tech bench, office)... now I take about 3-4 minutes. Good job Fry's!!
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    Frys corp if you're listening hire me for $120k a year. I will fix the web quote system. I can eliminate all the issues you guys are having.
  3.  permalink
    lol how about $8 an hour buddy
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    I'm cheap for $58 per hour.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAnakin
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013
    Guest: lol how about $8 an hour buddy

$8/hr. for up to 20 hours per week. Full-time is almost a thing of the past in Fry's, while minimum wage is common law for management.
    •  
      CommentAuthorGuest 644
    • CommentTimeSep 18th 2013
    It's amazing that the Fry's owners/Ken can apparently only do simple arithmetic. They never seem to be able to understand value and that you get what you pay for. You pay a salesman nothing on a sale, they will give zero customer service. It's interesting to see the correlation there, isn't it Randy/John/Kathy/Ken? The same is true of people that maintain our network. It's a shit system run by FOBs and some well meaning people that don't know anything. Plus the hardware that everything runs on was made before the war in Kosovo. Let that sink in...
  4.  permalink
    Well the fact that all software was developed in house, I'm not the least surprised that there are issues.
    •  
      CommentAuthor034CSV
    • CommentTimeNov 20th 2013

Sighs~~

I am unsure if it still works, but I used to also be able to crash the lockdown by opening cycle counts or some other DOS program and then logging off the machine while they were open. The system wont log off while DOS is open, but it did force the lockdown to close. If you play around with the system long enough you will find the cracks. They can try and fix that thing they call a POS, but it will never happen. Let me know if you need more help.  

Also... If you get bored feel free to lockout associates 13341 and 3867 :face-smile:I don't repeat gossip.... so listen carefully
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeNov 27th 2013
    034CSV:

Sighs~~

I am unsure if it still works, but I used to also be able to crash the lockdown by opening cycle counts or some other DOS program and then logging off the machine while they were open. The system wont log off while DOS is open, but it did force the lockdown to close. If you play around with the system long enough you will find the cracks. They can try and fix that thing they call a POS, but it will never happen. Let me know if you need more help.  

Also... If you get bored feel free to lockout associates 13341 and 3867 :face-smile:

Good deal :face-devil-grin:
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeApr 3rd 2014
    I've always wished I could have a conversation with whoever builds/maintains the stores IT/POS infrastructure. I can pretty much guarantee they've never worked in any of the stores, and thus don't know what processes need to be automated in what ways in order to actually be useful. In typical Fry's fashion, the guys who make the decisions are 5 times removed from the guys who are effected by the decisions.
  5.  permalink
    I've spoken to the ISD team. They are honestly a bunch of clowns and not very personable.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAviator08
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014
    Has anyone found another back door into the old pos system?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgobo760
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014 edited
    Guest: I've spoken to the ISD team. They are honestly a bunch of clowns and not very personable.

Hmm, it makes me wonder if they know how to structure a database where it needs to perform well when anywhere from hundreds to thousands of calls are made to it per minute. Somehow, I suspect that Fry's just hired the cheapest web programmers they could off oDesk or freeLancer.com (or whoever they could find locally) and assumed they'd know how to make whatever was needed.  

My hunch is that, since these guys don't work in the stores, they probably don't know what fields most employees are actually using to run their searches (when generating quotes or looking stuff up). The way a fast web-based database works is that all the information is "Indexed" ahead of time, so that when you search, the system just needs to refer to the "Index" file to know where any record matching a specific criteria is located. Like the index of an encyclopedia, where you might want to know where all the pages are containing the word "Hard Drives". The index tells you pages: 123, 140, 176, 245, 540, 790.  

It works the same way in a database. A database is essentially a big excel table, where each row is a different record and each column is a different field of data on the record (Name, Phone, Address, etc). If the programmers don't know what columns are actually getting used by employees to run their searches, then those columns won't be indexed, and the system will have to search EVERY record one by one in real-time when looking for the quote number, or customer phone number, or whatever information employees are entering into the system when generating quotes... which might not be that big of a deal if you're only running a couple queries an hour, but at "Fry's volume" it would crash the thing pretty quick the moment a couple people search for something unusual in a non-indexed column.  

Hopefully the ISD team will read this article when they have time: http://coding.smashingmagazine.com/2011/03/23/speeding-up-your-websites-database/. Somehow I doubt they'll look at it... but it goes into a lot of detail about how to structure a database that stores a ton of records, and also has a lot of traffic accessing those records. Right now I'm working for a client where their database has almost 40 million records, and a ton of traffic... which has kind of forced me to appreciate how to optimize a database so that it hauls butt even under heavy user-load.
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    • CommentTimeApr 4th 2014
    You're wasting your energy, great post and great information... but remember this is Fry's. Innovation and advancements just don't happen here.