Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below


Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgreencard
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008 edited
     permalink
    So when I was closing on Saturday I noticed the Assistant Store Manager and Customer Service Manager talking to an associate about "hacking the pos". I heard him accusing him while i was passing by. I think this is fucked up the systems are old and slow ...even on Sunday we were still having some problems so unless they have some proof I wouldn't accuss anyone. They should just investiage the issuse before they start blaming people.
    •  
      CommentAuthorgreencard
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
     permalink
    Maybe Greg involved? They should find out before they start pointing fingers?
    •  
      CommentAuthorgreencard
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
     permalink
    It could be anyone...alot of people have access to the network and the Fry's computers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008 edited
     permalink
    SoMe PeoOple recently got fired recently maybe they did it?  
    Maybe it was someone from Best Buy sabotaging us so they could get our sales LOL jk!Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorman
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008 edited
     permalink
    Well actually the entire network is vulnerable. Every computer terminal has the database files accessible though a visible network drive. Any computer user browsing "My Computer" can easily see these network drives and delete these files. That being said the entire network would be rendered useless in the event anything like this happen.
    •  
      CommentAuthorMacIas
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
     permalink
    Solution: Get some new equipment that works with good software imagine how much money has been lost due to this "week" POS system.aka Luis - FrysForum Administration Group
    •  
      CommentAuthorGamefreak88
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008 edited
     permalink
    Greencard.. do I know you? I'm not a computer hacker, although I do know a great deal about computers, servers and networks and have fixed the computers and printers on numerous occasions.

    Who was the associate?

    Anyway.. when I was beginning my shift yesterday I was told by another cashier the entire department was doing manuals. I get over there and everything worked fine for me. Granted, the 8.5x11 receipts were not printing out, but that isn't uncommon. Apparently the entire POS system was down before noon.

    I highly doubt the system was hacked, although I wouldn't rule out home office trying to issue an update to the POS and it not working. Afterall, we're just now getting the pole displays installed and they are surely finding bugs with them and having to release updated verions of the POS system.

    The printers not working on all front registers is probably just a blown router or cable. Those things do go bad from time to time. Probably time to get a new one again. All the computers are connected via ethernet cable to a router, which controls all the data going in/out and to the printers. The cable or router port for the printer is probably shot or simply unplugged. It does get a lot of daily abuse.

    Yes the network is old, slow and flooded with inefficient data. Yes the computers have ancient processors and only a few hundred megabytes of ram. Yes the network is insecure and anyone can view (and maybe even edit??) the Kronos schedules and time punches (don't ask me how). I've read on here you can also read home office e-mails.. although I've never cared to check. All of this could be hidden from 95% of employees in a matter of minutes, but I don't work in the IT department so I'm not authorized to hide the drives from view. The other 5% know how to map a network drive and can find the drives regardless.

    The POS system stores the data in an SQL server. SQL servers are not the best option for a huge store to be storing data in and querying 100 times per second. SQL servers can only handle so many queries/connections per second.

    As I was saying.. I'm not a hacker.. but I do know a good deal about computers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeFeb 11th 2008
     permalink
    man:Well actually the entire network is vulnerable. Every computer terminal has the database files accessible though a visible network drive. Any computer user browsing "My Computer" can easily see these network drives and delete these files. That being said the entire network would be rendered useless in the event anything like this happen.
     
     
    Hate to break it to you but most companies like Frys and anyone else with an inkling of a brain have huge backup systems in place for the event that something wipes the drive. Including disgruntled employees. Someone probably takes home a backup every night and they probably also store a backup in a fireproof safe in the building as well. Thats how most places do it.Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008
     permalink
    Every night I put a vial of my blood in a fireproof safe so I can be cloned should I die.
    •  
      CommentAuthorman
    • CommentTimeFeb 12th 2008 edited
     permalink
    Gamefreak88:The POS system stores the data in an SQL server. SQL servers are not the best option for a huge store to be storing data in and querying 100 times per second. SQL servers can only handle so many queries/connections per second.
     
     
    Um what other option is there. MS Access? SQL servers is the way everyone does it. unless your a very small business with 5 employees where you can get away with a shared MS Access file.  
     
    Well actually SD doesn't even use sql servers. They are pretty much using something similar to MS Access. I guess they aren't so smart after all.  
     
    I'm sure with faster processing and ram you can see database servers doing thousands of transactions per minute.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeFeb 13th 2008
     permalink
    Sasquatch:Every night I put a vial of my blood in a fireproof safe so I can be cloned should I die.
     
     
    Armed with this knowledge, I can sleep soundly at night.Superhero!
  1.  permalink
    Gamefreak88:Greencard.. do I know you? I'm not a computer hacker, although I do know a great deal about computers, servers and networks and have fixed the computers and printers on numerous occasions.  
     
    Who was the associate?  
     
    Anyway.. when I was beginning my shift yesterday I was told by another cashier the entire department was doing manuals. I get over there and everything worked fine for me. Granted, the 8.5x11 receipts were not printing out, but that isn't uncommon. Apparently the entire POS system was down before noon.  
     
    I highly doubt the system was hacked, although I wouldn't rule out home office trying to issue an update to the POS and it not working. Afterall, we're just now getting the pole displays installed and they are surely finding bugs with them and having to release updated verions of the POS system.  
     
    The printers not working on all front registers is probably just a blown router or cable. Those things do go bad from time to time. Probably time to get a new one again. All the computers are connected via ethernet cable to a router, which controls all the data going in/out and to the printers. The cable or router port for the printer is probably shot or simply unplugged. It does get a lot of daily abuse.  
     
    Yes the network is old, slow and flooded with inefficient data. Yes the computers have ancient processors and only a few hundred megabytes of ram. Yes the network is insecure and anyone can view (and maybe even edit??) the Kronos schedules and time punches (don't ask me how). I've read on here you can also read home office e-mails.. although I've never cared to check. All of this could be hidden from 95% of employees in a matter of minutes, but I don't work in the IT department so I'm not authorized to hide the drives from view. The other 5% know how to map a network drive and can find the drives regardless.  
     
    The POS system stores the data in an SQL server. SQL servers are not the best option for a huge store to be storing data in and querying 100 times per second. SQL servers can only handle so many queries/connections per second.  
     
    As I was saying.. I'm not a hacker.. but I do know a good deal about computers.
     
     
     
     
     
    how do you access cronos and change your punches?i love it when they call me big papa
  2.  permalink
    Ask your department manager. I'm not going to tell anyone how to do it. In fact, I'm not certain it even works. I've never tried it.. although I've seen the files/contents.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeFeb 24th 2008
     permalink
    Greg your the reason the system went down huh?