Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeFeb 15th 2008
    I have been listening to other employess talk and I can feel the tension. It has to do with the economy going into a recession and people worring about their sales and their jobs in General. At my store many, many associates have been laid off or fired because home office didn't think they were productive enough/coverage issues. I can think and name atleast 6 people that I personally knew that were laid off. I also been hereing that Fry's will give the draw system the axe and do away with the draw system and let associates go back to minimum wage, in that case they might want to remove the sign that says they pay their associates $10-16 a hour with the applications. I also don't know how they give us all these ridiculous quotas when they over staff the employees and its not busy and we have to deal with inefficent systems that dont' work as intended or are failing. I think the worst days to work at Fry's are Thursdays and Saturdays cause thats the days when the most employees are working and were overstaffed I would say we easily outnumber the customers 3 to 1. I wonder if they plan on raising commisions since they aren't going to be paying us that hourly draw anymore I think this would be a really good motivation for the sales people to make even more money and make Fry's more profit they desperately need right now in the recession. I also notice that we are now participating in the City of San Diego's madiated recycling program LOL thats so funny though they only put it in the break room and not anywhere else I seen. Fry's could save money by replacing thoose ineffecient POS systems with something more reliable and change their lighting systems to save them hundreads of dollars on electric costs. It sure beats having to fire people to save some money for the company.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  1.  permalink
    i was one of those people who were "laid off" they made it sound like it was my fault!!! i was so pissed and shocked!!! i was the top seller in my department and they said they fired me because of sales!!:face-crying:
    •  
      CommentAuthorm_tux
    • CommentTimeFeb 17th 2008
    Man I wish they would fire some people in my dept already.. I guess it hasn't hit my store/dept yet.. *gasp* but i guess with all these new "goals" we have they are gearing up for it.. mm 2 wireless a week??? $2k a week in psc's??I'm crushing your head... You flathead!
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    You must work in computers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeFeb 18th 2008
    Layoffs and Firing are two different things. Layoff is when a company closes a portion of itself and your job is no longer needed, firing is when your sales are crap. Dont get them confused, my company laid an entire section of itself off, me included and it was truly devestating, because they simply had no income. That was the housing industry. It is different if I say, hadnt been selling well or came in late five times or something. Dont get them confused.Superhero!
  2.  permalink
    AyaHu:Layoffs and Firing are two different things. Layoff is when a company closes a portion of itself and your job is no longer needed, firing is when your sales are crap. Dont get them confused, my company laid an entire section of itself off, me included and it was truly devestating, because they simply had no income. That was the housing industry. It is different if I say, hadnt been selling well or came in late five times or something. Dont get them confused.

If they fire a single employee for bad sales that is a firing, but once you get into multiple people fired at a time, that probably isn't just an employee who was lazy. There probably just isn't enough business to justify as many employees as you have on the payroll.  

Firing half of a department in a single day I would consider a layoff. Based upon what I have been told by former co-workers at my old store, Fry's definately has done some layoffs. Corporate just told managers that they were cutting their labor budgets sometimes in half for an indefinate period of time. If you are a manager you have no choice, but layoff a significant percentage of your employees. I doubt with the way the economy is going right now that most of these people are being fired because they were late too many times. Petty issues like that don't usually result in multiple people being terminated on the same day.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMar 12th 2008
    Former_Frys_geek:
    AyaHu:Layoffs and Firing are two different things. Layoff is when a company closes a portion of itself and your job is no longer needed, firing is when your sales are crap. Dont get them confused, my company laid an entire section of itself off, me included and it was truly devestating, because they simply had no income. That was the housing industry. It is different if I say, hadnt been selling well or came in late five times or something. Dont get them confused.

If they fire a single employee for bad sales that is a firing, but once you get into multiple people fired at a time, that probably isn't just an employee who was lazy. There probably just isn't enough business to justify as many employees as you have on the payroll.  

Firing half of a department in a single day I would consider a layoff. Based upon what I have been told by former co-workers at my old store, Fry's definately has done some layoffs. Corporate just told managers that they were cutting their labor budgets sometimes in half for an indefinate period of time. If you are a manager you have no choice, but layoff a significant percentage of your employees. I doubt with the way the economy is going right now that most of these people are being fired because they were late too many times. Petty issues like that don't usually result in multiple people being terminated on the same day.

I would call it spring cleaning. I can think of several people that are nothing more than a drain on our allocations.
  3.  permalink
    I used to remember people that Fry's had on the payroll that would be in the break room for an hour and they weren't caught doing this once, but two or three times a week. I wouldn't fire them immediately, but I would have suspended them a few times unlike the supervisors I remember or gave people a slap on the wrist. After a suspension or two I would just boot them.  
    I just can't understand why supervisors tolerated this much BS until labor budgets started getting tight. You should be allowed to have a little fun, but some of these people didn't add squat directly through direct sales or indirectly through working on their sections or TSRing aisles or anything else.  

I absolutely think that cuts in the labor budget forced managers hand to fire some people that should have been shown the door months ago. In most cases I would guess most of the people that got shown the door I bet were no big loss to Fry's.