Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    • CommentTimeOct 23rd 2013
    Extended warranties on electronics are supposed to give you piece of mind.  

But when an Auburn viewer’s computer wasn’t fixed in almost three months, she called Kurtis.  

Many stores hard sell these extended warranties.  

She says Fry’s told her, it would take five weeks to fix her laptop but almost three months?  

That’s a long time to go without your computer.  

How long should you give them?  

“We got the 3 year warranty,” said Arlene Cal, Fry’s Electronics customer.  

And good thing. Nine months after Arlene bought the laptop for her daughter, it wouldn’t start up.  

When she brought it back to Fry’s under that extended warranty, she says they told her it would take five weeks to fix.  

Five weeks turned into almost three months, she says they told her they didn’t have time yet to work on it.  

“It was like they didn’t care, there was no compassion, and I just felt like why did I even come into this store?” asked Arlene.  

Russ Heimerich with the state Dept. of Consumer Affairs says under manufacturer warranties, companies must return your productwithin 30 days.  

“With extended warranties, there really is no rule,” said Heimerich.  

He says the four decade old California law says nothing about extended warranties.  

“Back in 1970, there were only manufacturer warranties, there weren’t extended warranties. They were very,very rare so the law just hasn’t caught up with that, if you will,” said Heimerich.  

So why so long in this case?  

Fry’s tells us it couldn’t figure out how to fix this laptop and had to ship it off to HP and says:  

“… the delay was regrettable, and we could have better communicated the status to her.”  

– Manuel Valerio, community relations manager  

After we got involved, they agreed to exchange the laptop and gave her a $100 gift card for her trouble.  

Arlene says she’ll think twice before getting another extended warranty through Fry’s.  

“I think it’s worthless,” said Arlene.  

And Arlene’s troubles with Fry’s aren’t over.  

The new tablet she exchanged her laptop for, now doesn’t work and she’s dealing directly with the manufacturer, Sony, to fix it.  

For manufacturer warranties, the length of your warranty would be extended for the period your product was being repaired.  

But again, this law doesn’t apply to extended warranties under California’s Song-Beverly Consumer Warranty Act.  

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/10/22/call-kurtis-how-long-can-stores-keep-my-product-for-repair-under-warranty/
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    I bet they gave her an Open Box Return...  
    (..The new tablet she exchanged her laptop for, now doesn't work and she’s dealing directly with the manufacturer, Sony, to fix it..)
    •  
      CommentAuthorr3j3ct
    Yay! Makes me so happy to sell P$C to customers. I am an evil person :)
  1.  permalink
    Ha what store was it 14 or 26?
    •  
      CommentAuthorFrenchyFry
    It says Auburn and the Video from the Newscast shows Fry's with a Water Tower in front, but I don't know the store number.  

http://sacramento.cbslocal.com/2013/10/22/call-kurtis-how-long-can-stores-keep-my-product-for-repair-under-warranty/
    •  
      CommentAuthorfrysemployee
    • CommentTimeOct 24th 2013 edited
    Its store 26 in Roseville, CA
  2.  permalink
    I'd blame Arnold Johnson (ASM) on that one. Terrible customer service, he cares nothing about anyone except he and his Johnson, no pun intended. Literally the guy has had MANY sexual harassment issues all swept under the rug by his store managers and H.O.,what a talented person to keep about 10 years now in the company
  3.  permalink
    LOL

Can't really feel sorry for anyone falling for the Frys extended warranty sales pitch.
    All extended warrantees are a scam of one sort or another, but if you ARE going to buy one, Newegg, Amazon and eBay all offer "Square Trade" warranties on new items for less. Plus you'll probably get the item from them cheaper in the first place.
    Far as the original posts story goes....the employee was a lying piece of sh*t, putting it off on HP. I have sent several items in to HP for warranty repair, and all have come back fixed in under a week. What I don't understand is why they didn't ship it straight to HP in the first place? Nine months would still be in the manufacturers warranty period.
  4.  permalink
    Ha!! Another Call Kurtis segment on 11/26 will detail retailer's price matching. In the video store #14's A/V dept is featured in the commercial leading up to the airing of the segment. We will see what they say when it airs Tuesday...