Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
  1.  permalink
    The CS Dm told me that our store has 80% turnover per year......yikes.:face-sad:
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008
    That doesn't say much for the fellow in charge of hiring new cashiers.
    •  
      CommentAuthorasdf
    • CommentTimeMar 5th 2008 edited
    Most people quit because the computer system is too complex.  

And for those who like the job Fry's tries to fire you. There is no job security at all. You're always replaceable. What do you expect when all they hire is the average dumbass?
    •  
      CommentAuthorAyaHu
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    You are replaceable!Superhero!
    •  
      CommentAuthorTony Green
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008
    Retail as a whole has an 85% turnover rate. I think the new lower pay structure that sales people are on will result in more turnover. On the plus side, if you are there more than three months, you will have seniority.:face-monkey:
  2.  permalink
    Tony Green:Retail as a whole has an 85% turnover rate. I think the new lower pay structure that sales people are on will result in more turnover. On the plus side, if you are there more than three months, you will have seniority.:face-monkey:

LOL Tony:face-smile:
  3.  permalink
    Tony Green:Retail as a whole has an 85% turnover rate. I think the new lower pay structure that sales people are on will result in more turnover. On the plus side, if you are there more than three months, you will have seniority.:face-monkey:

That sounds about right. With the exception of high end retail (think jewelry, $10K+ A/V equipment, etc.) most retail jobs pay about $8-10/hr depending upon the local wages and other factors. I know at least in PSC training they emphasized that on the sales floor that we weren't supposed to be clerks, but rather salespeople and hence attach PSCs, accessorizes, and upsell when possible. On the sales floor at least in the right departments (Computers, AV, and to lesser degree components) with the right combination of legwork, product knowledge, customer interaction, store location, etc. you can make a modest middle class lifestyle. Some departments like computers could have greater than 50% annual retention, but that largely was because a couple of people worked there for 5-10 years and I swear were treating Fry's like their career, which post CompUSA and post commision with Circuit City I would say is a bad idea.  

A cashier does on the other hand can never hope to make more than $11-12 and can easily make less. When In-N-Out is paying almost $10 for a starting wage, Fry’s cashier isn’t a very appealing job.  

Cashiers at Fry's are one of the lowest paying positions and one of the least glamorous and perhaps the most likely to take the brunt of customer dissatisfaction. If something bad happened a customer might rip you head off for something you didn't cause and worse yet have no control over. I don't think the computer is so hard to run, but a Fry's cashier tends to take more customers than any other cashier with the exception of a toll booth attendent. I heard of cashiers at stores where at the end of the day they handed over $94 after an 8 hour shift. Except right after the holidays when it is really slow that isn't likely to happen at Fry's.  

I definately think that eliminating the draw will cut retention a bit, although most of the people that will be lost I doubt are big losses. The only concern that I have is that Fry's might lose out on some people that otherwise would develop into great salespeople because they aren't patient enough to spend the time making slightly above minimum wage for a few months.