Not signed in (Sign In)

Welcome, Guest

Want to take part in these discussions? Sign in if you have an account, or apply for one below

Vanilla 1.1.4 is a product of Lussumo. More Information: Documentation, Community Support.

Welcome Guest! Want to take part in these discussions? If you have an account, sign in now.
If you don't have an account, apply for one now.
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008 edited
    I made this discussion so you could write what you wish to tell Randy Fry since they don't seem to read the "Tell Randy" forms from work and I know many managers and other people go on this website especially seeing since FrysForum.com got served with a legal document.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
  1. Other Topics You Might Like
    Tell Randy Forms
    I hear that Randy Fry is visiting all of the stores....
    I wonder if Randy Fry would ever do undercover boss?
    Randy Fry is coming to a store near you!
    Randy Fry and the Missing Peacocks
    •  
      CommentAuthorflea
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008 edited
    Dear Randy,  

Why do some people lie to customers and still work at Fry's? Here are the most common things sales people lie about in my store (San Diego, 15)  

1) If its breaks I give you a new one  
    2) This laptop only has a 15 day warranty unless you buy the Frys warranty  
    3) This refurbished computer is brand new nothing was ever wrong with it  
    4) The warranty includes everything  
    5) Taking advantage of people who don't talk english very well and stack warranties.Fry's is corrupt I am here to talk about it.
    •  
      CommentAuthorSasquatch
    • CommentTimeMar 6th 2008

Probably true.
  2.  permalink
    1) If its breaks I give you a new one

This is the biggest lie with service plans in retail stores. I've heard this lie at virtually every other store that sells service plans. I remember on Best Buy employee say that Fry's would replace notebooks with refurbs whereas Best Buy would give you a new one. That is a load of BS. I've read the service plans from all of the major retail stores (Fry's, BB, CC, etc.) and they all allow the store to replace it with a comparable refurb unit. I think the bigger lie is that the PSC covers you regardless of how it stops working. Lie #4 is a much bigger issue in my opinion than this one.  

2) This laptop only has a 15 day warranty unless you buy the Frys warranty

I don't know about about your neck of the woods, but when I worked at Fry's a lot of Vietnamese customers said what's your warranty when they really meant what is the return policy? Technically if the PIC stands his or her ground Fry's will tell you tough luck is something goes wrong with it after day 15. Returns make exceptions every now and then, but when I worked at Fry's I made our return policy on laptops pretty clear: don't bet on coming in after 15 days and expect to get your money back for it. If you consider the 15 day return privileges a form of "free" in store warranty than I guess not buying the PSC, gives you only 15 days Fry's "warranty." I will agree with you that that statement is pretty deceptive. According to the FTC, only the manufactor warranty is technically a "warranty." Hence, you virtually never here any store service plan ever referred to as an extended warranty. The extended plans with the manufactor I guess could call in a extended warranty, but even the manufactorer avoid the term largerly because the term service plan tends to endear a better customer reception.  

I've never heard that one. What is more often said is that it got sent back to the manufactor as an open box, they checked it out and everything worked whereas the new ones are assumed to work. The vast majority of them have never been turned on before you are actually less likely to have issues with a refurb, plus you save some money too. To say it is brand new in most cases would be an utter lie though.  

4) The warranty includes everything

There are a lot of salespeople who will say sure you leave a pen on the keyboard and crack the screen while you are slamming it closed and sure that's covered. Another great one is that the coverage is international. I made a wisecrack that Fry's should open some service centers in Vietnam and there should be in story shipping to Vietname. The customer would pick the laptop for their fill in the blank relative in Vietnam, they would pay the cost of the laptop plus the PSC and shipping & handling and Fry's would ship it to their relatives and if something went wrong they could take it to Fry's Vietnamese service centers. I know a co-worker who made a racist comment about how Fry's would be pronounce in Vietnamese.  

Unless the service plan is pretty pricey I would seriously doubt it covered accidental damage. Even if it were an expensive plan I would still read the details because most don't cover accidental coverage. Even a lot of the manufacters won't cover accidental either even under their own extended service plans. One thing I have never seen a warranty cover is data loss. Data loss is on the boilerplate industry wide exclusion list under all warranties and service plans. Only an absolute idiot wouldn't have data loss on the list. If Fry's or Best Buy had to replace the monetary equivalent of lost data every time someone came in with a dead HDD and some idiot didn't back up their information they could lose millions. I know Alaska had a server hard drive fail on them that had several million pages were of digital copies of records that failed a while back. Both on-site back media failed and so did the off site backup tapes! They ended up spending several hundred thousand dollars in otherwise unneeded overtime to have employees scan every page manually back into PDFs.  

Anyone who says a warranty or service plan covers everything is either lying or has never read the details of the coverage, because I have never seen a warranty that covered data loss in my life.  

5) Taking advantage of people who don't talk english very well and stack warranties.

This one seems to be a Fry's specific thing. I can't say I have seen such strong armi hard sales in spanish or vietnamese or whatever the language of your local immigrant population at any store other than Fry's. This sell them the warranty in their own language seems to be something Fry's has done well and probably has lined Randy Fry's pockets with millions of dollars that he wouldn't otherwise have earned. I wouldn't call this a lie, but rather a technique. If you say it covers everything in their native tongue they are a lot more likely to buy it. I remember trying to sell a warranty once and just gave the customer to a vietnamese speaking co-worker. She thought I should have shared in the sale, but honestly I told her that I was wasting my time. If I couldn't explain it to them in english I was better off handing off the customer and trying to work with a customer with better english.  

I am glad to have left Fry's. I always knew that virtually everyone who was banking big dollars was lying through their teeth. It feels good not to either feel dirty from deceiving customers left and right or going home making chicken scratch. If you don't strong arm at least one laptop PSC a day($150-$200) or the equivalent in PSCs on other items you are going to struggle to make more than the draw. Trying to hit draw week after week was too stressful. Now that they eliminated the draw I am even even more glad I moved on. Especially early in the morning on a weekday when you might sell two laptops in two hours in the whole department you could make more money at In-n-out than being a salesperson at Fry's. Pretty sad, but true.